Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances that inhibit or prevent the proliferation of NEOPLASMS.
- Di Cesare Mannelli L, Pacini A, Bonaccini L, Zanardelli M, Mello T, Ghelardini C. Morphologic features and glial activation in rat oxaliplatin-dependent neuropathic pain. J Pain. 2013;14:1585-600 pubmed publisher..In particular, on day 21, a significant astrocyte increase was measured in the anterior cingulate cortex, somatosensory area 1, neostriatum, ventrolateral periaqueductal gray, and nucleus raphe magnus...
- Akinyeke T, Matsumura S, Wang X, Wu Y, Schalfer E, Saxena A, et al. Metformin targets c-MYC oncogene to prevent prostate cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2013;34:2823-32 pubmed publisher..This study explores chemopreventive efficacy of metformin in prostate cancer and its link to cMYC in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Kaplan R, Maughan T, Crook A, Fisher D, Wilson R, Brown L, et al. Evaluating many treatments and biomarkers in oncology: a new design. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:4562-8 pubmed publisher..Using this approach allows questions regarding efficacy and safety of multiple novel therapies to be answered in a relatively quick and efficient manner, while also allowing for the assessment of biomarkers to help target treatment. ..
- Iida N, Dzutsev A, Stewart C, Smith L, Bouladoux N, Weingarten R, et al. Commensal bacteria control cancer response to therapy by modulating the tumor microenvironment. Science. 2013;342:967-70 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the importance of the microbiota in the outcome of disease treatment. ..
- Gilmartin A, Faitg T, Richter M, Groy A, Seefeld M, Darcy M, et al. Allosteric Wip1 phosphatase inhibition through flap-subdomain interaction. Nat Chem Biol. 2014;10:181-7 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, GSK2830371 is the first orally active, allosteric inhibitor of Wip1 phosphatase. ..
- Suda K, Mizuuchi H, Sato K, Takemoto T, Iwasaki T, Mitsudomi T. The insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor causes acquired resistance to erlotinib in lung cancer cells with the wild-type epidermal growth factor receptor. Int J Cancer. 2014;135:1002-6 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that IGF1R activation is a molecular mechanism that confers acquired resistance to erlotinib in lung cancers with the wild-type EGFR. ..
- Kalinsky K, Crew K, Refice S, Xiao T, Wang A, Feldman S, et al. Presurgical trial of metformin in overweight and obese patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 2014;32:150-7 pubmed publisher..We conducted a presurgical trial to assess the tissue-related effects of metformin in overweight/obese breast cancer (BC) patients...
- Bruix J, Gores G, Mazzaferro V. Hepatocellular carcinoma: clinical frontiers and perspectives. Gut. 2014;63:844-55 pubmed publisher..Also, new concepts are provided in regards to selecting and stratifying patients for second-line studies, which may help explain the failure of prior studies. ..
- Wilding J, Bodmer W. Cancer cell lines for drug discovery and development. Cancer Res. 2014;74:2377-84 pubmed publisher..We review some of the pros and cons of each model and give an overview of ways in which the use of cell lines could be modified to improve the predictive capacity of this well-defined model. ..
- Condon S, Mitsuuchi Y, Deng Y, LaPorte M, Rippin S, Haimowitz T, et al. Birinapant, a smac-mimetic with improved tolerability for the treatment of solid tumors and hematological malignancies. J Med Chem. 2014;57:3666-77 pubmed publisher..The P2' position of 1 was critical to this differential activity, and this improved tolerability has allowed 1 to proceed into clinical studies. ..
- Ford H, Marshall A, Bridgewater J, Janowitz T, Coxon F, Wadsley J, et al. Docetaxel versus active symptom control for refractory oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma (COUGAR-02): an open-label, phase 3 randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:78-86 pubmed publisher..We assessed whether the addition of docetaxel to active symptom control alone can improve survival and HRQoL for patients...
- Jaganathan S, Supriyanto E, Mandal M. Events associated with apoptotic effect of p-Coumaric acid in HCT-15 colon cancer cells. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:7726-34 pubmed publisher..To investigate the events associated with the apoptotic effect of p-Coumaric acid, one of the phenolic components of honey, in human colorectal carcinoma (HCT-15) cells...
- Kucerova L, Skolekova S, Matuskova M, Bohac M, Kozovska Z. Altered features and increased chemosensitivity of human breast cancer cells mediated by adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cells. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:535 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to characterize molecular changes dictated by adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cells (AT-MSCs) and the effects on drug responses in human breast cancer cells SKBR3...
- Brose M, Nutting C, Jarzab B, Elisei R, Siena S, Bastholt L, et al. Sorafenib in radioactive iodine-refractory, locally advanced or metastatic differentiated thyroid cancer: a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2014;384:319-28 pubmed publisher..In this study, we assessed the efficacy and safety of orally administered sorafenib in the treatment of patients with this type of cancer...
- Beaufils F, Cmiljanovic N, Cmiljanovic V, Bohnacker T, Melone A, Marone R, et al. 5-(4,6-Dimorpholino-1,3,5-triazin-2-yl)-4-(trifluoromethyl)pyridin-2-amine (PQR309), a Potent, Brain-Penetrant, Orally Bioavailable, Pan-Class I PI3K/mTOR Inhibitor as Clinical Candidate in Oncology. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7524-7538 pubmed publisher..Compound 1 is currently in phase II clinical trials for advanced solid tumors and refractory lymphoma. ..
- Marcus R, Davies A, Ando K, Klapper W, Opat S, Owen C, et al. Obinutuzumab for the First-Line Treatment of Follicular Lymphoma. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:1331-1344 pubmed publisher..Obinutuzumab is a glycoengineered type II anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody. We compared rituximab-based chemotherapy with obinutuzumab-based chemotherapy in patients with previously untreated advanced-stage follicular lymphoma...
- Blagoev K, Wilkerson J, Burotto M, Kim C, Espinal Domínguez E, García Alfonso P, et al. Neutral evolution of drug resistant colorectal cancer cell populations is independent of their KRAS status. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175484 pubmed publisher..Using the above clinical data on tumor doubling times and mitotic and apoptotic indices we estimated the caloric intake required to support tumor growth and suggest it may explain in part cancer-associated cachexia...
- Stella G, Piloni D. Exploring adjuvant epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition in non-small cell lung cancer. Minerva Med. 2017;108:6-12 pubmed publisher..Moreover we provide an exhaustive literature revision that could be helpful for a proper management of that small cohort of EGFR-mutated resected NSCLC. ..
- Hutchinson J, Marignol L. Clinical Potential of Statins in Prostate Cancer Radiation Therapy. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:5363-5372 pubmed..Preclinical studies suggest that statins possess anticancer and radiosensitising properties. This review aims to determine the impact of statin use in the efficacy of radiation therapy and the therapeutic window in prostate cancer...
- Ferguson F, Doctor Z, Chaikuad A, Sim T, Kim N, Knapp S, et al. Characterization of a highly selective inhibitor of the Aurora kinases. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4405-4408 pubmed publisher..The X-ray co-crystal structure of Aurora A in complex with compound 2 is reported, and provides insights into the structural determinants of ligand binding and selectivity. ..
- Sharda S, Sarmandal P, Cherukommu S, Dindhoria K, Yadav M, Bandaru S, et al. A Virtual Screening Approach for the Identification of High Affinity Small Molecules Targeting BCR-ABL1 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Curr Top Med Chem. 2017;17:2989-2996 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, owing to the similar pharmacological properties with Rebastinib, Pubchem ID: 67254402 can be expected to form potential BCR-ABL inhibitor. ..
- Cooper A, Ciblat S, Shipps G, Levine J, Kostura M, Oza V, et al. 1-Thiazol-2-yl-N-3-methyl-1H-pyrozole-5-carboxylic acid derivatives as antitumor agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4471-4477 pubmed publisher..Compound 14 was orally bioavailable and tolerated well in mice. Synthesis and structure activity relationships (SAR) in this series of compounds are discussed. ..
- Fessas P, Lee H, Ikemizu S, Janowitz T. A molecular and preclinical comparison of the PD-1-targeted T-cell checkpoint inhibitors nivolumab and pembrolizumab. Semin Oncol. 2017;44:136-140 pubmed publisher..We acknowledge the limitations of such comparisons, but suggest that based on the available data, differences in clinical trial outcomes between nivolumab and pembrolizumab are more likely drug-independent than drug-dependent. ..
- Dai J, Belum V, Wu S, Sibaud V, Lacouture M. Pigmentary changes in patients treated with targeted anticancer agents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:902-910.e2 pubmed publisher..Appropriate counseling and management are critical to minimize psychosocial impairment and deterioration in quality of life. ..
- Ribeiro M, Santos A, Custódio J. The activation of the G protein-coupled estrogen receptor (GPER) inhibits the proliferation of mouse melanoma K1735-M2 cells. Chem Biol Interact. 2017;277:176-184 pubmed publisher..Our results unveil a new target for melanoma therapy and identify GPER as a key mediator of antiestrogen antiproliferative effects, which may contribute to select the patients that benefit from an antiestrogen-containing regimen. ..
- Michot J, Lazarovici J, Ghez D, Danu A, Ferme C, Bigorgne A, et al. Challenges and perspectives in the immunotherapy of Hodgkin lymphoma. Eur J Cancer. 2017;85:67-77 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent attempts to understand the defects in immune recognition in HL and to design an optimal evidence-based treatment for combination with anti-PD1. ..
- Eto M. [New Treatment Options for Renal Cell Carcinoma - Efficacy and Safety of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2017;44:667-673 pubmed..Regarding safety, immune-related adverse events(irAEs)with a profile that may be different from those of conventional drugs, and in addition to fully understanding these features, we need to be familiar with how to manage irAEs. ..
- Kishimoto S, Fujitani N, Ohnishi T, Aoki H, Suzuki R, Fukushima S. Cisplatin-loaded, Sialyl Lewis X-Modified Liposomes: Drug Release, Biodistribution and Antitumor Efficacy. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6055-6061 pubmed..Each had the same lipid composition and CDDP concentration, but a different drug-to-lipid ratio...
- Fiala O, Hosek P, Pesek M, Finek J, Racek J, Stehlík P, et al. Serum Concentration of Erlotinib and its Correlation with Outcome and Toxicity in Patients with Advanced-stage NSCLC. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6469-6476 pubmed..We focused on the role of serum concentration of erlotinib and its association with outcome and toxicity in patients with advanced NSCLC harbouring the wild-type EGFR gene or squamous histology...
- Yamazaki H, Shimizu S, Iwasaki H, Yoshida T, Suganuma N, Yamanaka T, et al. [Efficacy and Safety of Lenvatinib for Unresectable Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer]. Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2017;44:695-697 pubmed..Grade 3 and Grade 4 gastrointestinal hemorrhage were observed in 2patients and Grade 3 anorexia was observed in 1 patient. Further clinical research seems to be needed to establish a treatment strategy involving lenvatinib for ATC. ..
- Liu H, Zhou M. Antitumor effect of Quercetin on Y79 retinoblastoma cells via activation of JNK and p38 MAPK pathways. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:531 pubmed publisher..All the results of the study suggest that QCT induced the apoptosis of Y79 cells via activation of JNK and p38 MAPK pathways, providing a novel treatment approach for human RB. ..
- Goh J, Feng M, Wang W, Oguz G, Yatim S, Lee P, et al. Chromosome 1q21.3 amplification is a trackable biomarker and actionable target for breast cancer recurrence. Nat Med. 2017;23:1319-1330 pubmed publisher..Our study uncovers the 1q21.3-directed S100A7/8/9-IRAK1 feedback loop as a crucial component of breast cancer recurrence, serving as both a trackable biomarker and an actionable therapeutic target for breast cancer...
- Rivera D, Ganz P, Weyrich M, Bandos H, Melnikow J. Chemotherapy-Associated Peripheral Neuropathy in Patients With Early-Stage Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018;110: pubmed publisher..Consistent use of validated measures and well-conducted randomized clinical trials or observational studies are needed to evaluate the incidence, persistence, and QOL associated with the long-term effects of PN. ..
- Subban K, Singh S, Subramani R, Johnpaul M, Chelliah J. Fungal 7-epi-10-deacetyltaxol produced by an endophytic Pestalotiopsis microspora induces apoptosis in human hepatocellular carcinoma cell line (HepG2). BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17:504 pubmed publisher..This is the first report for 7-epi-10-deacetyltaxol (EDT) isolated from a microbial source. ..
- Kim J, Kwon H, Ryu D, Nam M, Shim B, Kim J, et al. Inhibition of CUG-binding protein 1 and activation of caspases are critically involved in piperazine derivative BK10007S induced apoptosis in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186490 pubmed publisher..Overall, these findings provide scientific evidences that BK10007S induces apoptosis via inhibition of CUGBP1 and activation of caspases in hepatocellular carcinomas as a potent anticancer candidate. ..
- Ho B, Pfeffer C, Singh A. Update on Nanotechnology-based Drug Delivery Systems in Cancer Treatment. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:5975-5981 pubmed..Application of nanotechnology to cancer biology has brought in a new hope for developing treatment strategies on cancer. In this study, we present a review on the recent advances in nanotechnology-based approaches in cancer treatment...
- Abdel Rahman S, El Gohary N, El Bendary E, El Ashry S, Shaaban M. Synthesis, antimicrobial, antiquorum-sensing, antitumor and cytotoxic activities of new series of cyclopenta(hepta)[b]thiophene and fused cyclohepta[b]thiophene analogs. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;140:200-211 pubmed publisher..In silico studies affirmed that the inspected compounds are compatible with Lipinski's rule of five with expected good oral absorption. ..
- Chiang J, Lee Y, Kao Y. Trend analysis of end-of-life care between hospice and nonhospice groups of cancer patients in Taiwan for 2002-11. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7825 pubmed publisher..56, 95% CI: 0.52-0.60, P?<?.001).The utilization of hospice services doubled over the 10-year study period. Hospice care was associated with better EOL care in patients with advanced cancer. ..
- Fallatah M, Liu S, Sevigny M, Zou H, Louie M. Novel flexible heteroarotinoid, SL-1-18, promotes ERÎ± degradation to inhibit breast cancer cell growth. Cancer Lett. 2017;408:82-91 pubmed publisher..In summary, this is the first study to show that a Flex-Het- SL-1-18- can promote the degradation of ERÎ± via the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and should be further developed as a therapeutic option for ER+Â breast cancer. ..
- Giampazolias E, Zunino B, Dhayade S, Bock F, Cloix C, Cao K, et al. Mitochondrial permeabilization engages NF-ÎºB-dependent anti-tumour activity under caspaseÂ deficiency. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:1116-1129 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they support a rationale for engaging caspase-independent cell death in cell-killing anti-cancer therapies. ..
- O Sullivan C, Davarpanah N, Abraham J, Bates S. Current challenges in the management of breast cancer brain metastases. Semin Oncol. 2017;44:85-100 pubmed publisher..Other strategies that may aid development of more effective clinical trials and expedite the development of promising agents include the use of different clinical endpoints and different imaging tools. ..
- Capelan M, Battisti N, McLoughlin A, Maidens V, Snuggs N, Slyk P, et al. The prevalence of unmet needs in 625 women living beyond a diagnosis of early breast cancer. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1113-1120 pubmed publisher..Unmet physical and emotional needs are common in breast cancer survivors. It is vital that the services are available for these patients as they transition from hospital-based follow-up to patient-led self-management models of care. ..
- Rani R, Arora S, Kaur J, Manhas R. Phenolic compounds as antioxidants and chemopreventive drugs from Streptomyces cellulosae strain TES17 isolated from rhizosphere of Camellia sinensis. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:82 pubmed publisher..cellulosae strain TES17 isolated from the rhizosphere of Camellia sinensis (tea) plant; produces potent compounds with antioxidant activity, further might be developed into therapeutic drugs to combat oxidative stress. ..
- Courtois S, Durán R, Giraud J, Sifré E, Izotte J, Megraud F, et al. Metformin targets gastric cancer stem cells. Eur J Cancer. 2017;84:193-201 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the use of metformin could represent an efficient strategy to inhibit tumour growth by targeting gastric CSCs. ..
- Sneha S, Nagare R, Priya S, Sidhanth C, Pors K, Ganesan T. Therapeutic antibodies against cancer stem cells: a promising approach. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017;66:1383-1398 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the potential of improving treatment efficacy using functional antibodies against CSCs, which could be combined with chemotherapy in the future. ..
- Uremis N, Uremis M, Tolun F, Ceylan M, Doğaner A, Kurt A. Synthesis of 2-Substituted Benzothiazole Derivatives and Their In Vitro Anticancer Effects and Antioxidant Activities Against Pancreatic Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6381-6389 pubmed..On the basis of these findings, these synthesized benzothiazole compounds may be considered as a potential therapeutic drug against human PANC-1 cancer cells...
- Hu J, Hu J, Liu X, Hu C, Li M, Han W. Effect and safety of cytokine-induced killer (CIK) cell immunotherapy in patients with breast cancer: A meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8310 pubmed publisher..Studies were pooled, and the relative risk (RR) and its corresponding 95% confidence interval (CI) were calculated...
- Engel J, Smith S, Lategahn J, Tumbrink H, Goebel L, Becker C, et al. Structure-Guided Development of Covalent and Mutant-Selective Pyrazolopyrimidines to Target T790M Drug Resistance in Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7725-7744 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we present the in vitro ADME/DMPK parameters for a subset of the inhibitors as well as in vivo pharmacokinetics in mice for a candidate with promising activity profile. ..
- Liu Y, Lei J, Tang L, Peng Y, Au C, Chen Y, et al. Studies on the cytotoxicity and anticancer performance of heterocyclic hypervalent organobismuth(III) compounds. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;139:826-835 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that heterocyclic organobismuth(III) complexes of this type have great potential in the treatment of cancer. ..
- Owada S, Ito K, Endo H, Shida Y, Okada C, Nezu T, et al. An Adaptation System to Avoid Apoptosis via Autophagy Under Hypoxic Conditions in Pancreatic Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4927-4934 pubmed..The induced autophagy, dependent on the AMPK pathway, is a necessary survival strategy adopted by pancreatic cancer cells to adapt to hypoxic stress, and could be an attractive target for drug development. ..
- Miguel L, Lopes F, Pinheiro B, Wang J, Xu R, Pellissier J, et al. Cost Effectiveness of Pembrolizumab for Advanced Melanoma Treatment in Portugal. Value Health. 2017;20:1065-1073 pubmed publisher..Considering the usually accepted thresholds in oncology, pembrolizumab is a cost-effective alternative for treating patients with advanced melanoma in Portugal. ..
- Kataoka K, Deleersnijder A, Lordick F. Will molecular target agents enable the multidisciplinary treatment in stage IV gastric cancer?. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1835-1845 pubmed publisher..The possibility of a multidisciplinary strategy using molecular target agents and surgery for stage IV gastric cancer is also assessed. ..
- Strickler J, Wu C, Bekaii Saab T. Targeting BRAF in metastatic colorectal cancer: Maximizing molecular approaches. Cancer Treat Rev. 2017;60:109-119 pubmed publisher..Additionally, this review highlights novel therapeutic strategies aimed at enhancing response and improving outcomes. ..
- Dashzeveg N, Taftaf R, Ramos E, Torre Healy L, Chumakova A, Silver D, et al. New Advances and Challenges of Targeting Cancer Stem Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5222-5227 pubmed publisher..The reported advances of CSC research and therapies fostered new collaborations across national and international borders, and inspired the next generation's young scientists. Cancer Res; 77(19); 5222-7. Â©2017 AACR. ..