Genomes and Genes
Summary: Drugs used for their effects on serotonergic systems. Among these are drugs that affect serotonin receptors, the life cycle of serotonin, and the survival of serotonergic neurons.
- Riegert C, Wedekind F, Hamida S, Rutz S, Rothmaier A, Jones B, et al. Effects of ethanol and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) alone or in combination on spontaneous and evoked overflow of dopamine, serotonin and acetylcholine in striatal slices of the rat brain. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008;11:743-63 pubmed publisher..These data do not preclude the contribution of other pharmacodynamic and/or pharmacokinetic mechanisms in vivo but support the hypothesis that EtOH may affect the abuse liability of MDMA. ..
- Olvera Cortés M, Anguiano Rodríguez P, López Vázquez M, Alfaro J. Serotonin/dopamine interaction in learning. Prog Brain Res. 2008;172:567-602 pubmed publisher..The complete significance of DA-serotonin interactions in cognitive functions could be addressed by future experimental and clinical studies. ..
- Easton N, Marsden C. Ecstasy: are animal data consistent between species and can they translate to humans?. J Psychopharmacol. 2006;20:194-210 pubmed..Consideration is also given to the role of neurotoxic metabolites and the influence of age, sex and user groups on the long-term actions of MDMA. ..
- Clarke H, Walker S, Dalley J, Robbins T, Roberts A. Cognitive inflexibility after prefrontal serotonin depletion is behaviorally and neurochemically specific. Cereb Cortex. 2007;17:18-27 pubmed
- Millan M. Serotonin 5-HT2C receptors as a target for the treatment of depressive and anxious states: focus on novel therapeutic strategies. Therapie. 2005;60:441-60 pubmed
- Winstanley C, Theobald D, Dalley J, Glennon J, Robbins T. 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor antagonists have opposing effects on a measure of impulsivity: interactions with global 5-HT depletion. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004;176:376-85 pubmed..Although both 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(2C) receptors participate in controlling this form of impulsive action, their relative contribution may depend on the endogenous state of the 5-HT system. ..
- Winstanley C, Dalley J, Theobald D, Robbins T. Fractionating impulsivity: contrasting effects of central 5-HT depletion on different measures of impulsive behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004;29:1331-43 pubmed..However, not all measures of impulsivity appear to be uniformly affected by 5-HT depletion, or correlate with each other, supporting the suggestion that impulsivity is not a unitary construct. ..
- Roth B, Hanizavareh S, Blum A. Serotonin receptors represent highly favorable molecular targets for cognitive enhancement in schizophrenia and other disorders. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004;174:17-24 pubmed..It is likely that serotonergic drugs will soon be available as cognition enhancing medications for disorders other than schizophrenia (e.g. dementia). ..
- Tancer M, Johanson C. The effects of fluoxetine on the subjective and physiological effects of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) in humans. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;189:565-73 pubmed..These results suggest that blockade of 5-HT reuptake by fluoxetine can dampen the effects of MDMA and further supports the role of 5-HT in its behavioral effects in humans. ..
- de la Torre R, Farre M, Roset P, Pizarro N, Abanades S, Segura M, et al. Human pharmacology of MDMA: pharmacokinetics, metabolism, and disposition. Ther Drug Monit. 2004;26:137-44 pubmed..One of the interesting features of MDMA metabolism is its potential involvement in the development of mid- to long-term neurotoxic effects as a result of progressive neurodegeneration of the serotonergic neurotransmission system. ..
- Halford J, Harrold J, Boyland E, Lawton C, Blundell J. Serotonergic drugs : effects on appetite expression and use for the treatment of obesity. Drugs. 2007;67:27-55 pubmed..The hope is that these drugs will not only be free of their predecessors' adverse effect profiles, but will also be equally or more effective at regulating appetite and controlling bodyweight. ..
- Kusljic S, van den Buuse M. Differential involvement of 5-HT projections within the amygdala in prepulse inhibition but not in psychotomimetic drug-induced hyperlocomotion. Behav Brain Res. 2006;168:74-82 pubmed..Thus, the present study supports the view that 5-HT in the amygdala may be involved in aspects of schizophrenia and a target for antipsychotic drug action. ..
- O Shea E, Escobedo I, Orio L, Sanchez V, Navarro M, Green A, et al. Elevation of ambient room temperature has differential effects on MDMA-induced 5-HT and dopamine release in striatum and nucleus accumbens of rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:1312-23 pubmed
- Clarke H, Walker S, Crofts H, Dalley J, Robbins T, Roberts A. Prefrontal serotonin depletion affects reversal learning but not attentional set shifting. J Neurosci. 2005;25:532-8 pubmed
- van Ewijk C, Jacobs G, Girbes A. Unsuspected serotonin toxicity in the ICU. Ann Intensive Care. 2016;6:85 pubmed publisher..A significant proportion of delirious patients in the ICU might in fact be classified as suffering from central serotonin toxicity. The awareness of potential serotonin toxicity is low among physicians. ..
- Gergaud S, Lermite E, Butel F, Soltner C, Lasocki S. [Extensive mesenteric ischemia related to naratriptan overuse associated with grapefruit juice absorption]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2012;31:472-4 pubmed publisher..This case underscore that an abdominal pain occurring in the context of headache treatment may be related to a mesenteric ischaemia. ..
- Purkayastha S, Ford J, Kanjilal B, Diallo S, Del Rosario Inigo J, Neuwirth L, et al. Clozapine functions through the prefrontal cortex serotonin 1A receptor to heighten neuronal activity via calmodulin kinase II-NMDA receptor interactions. J Neurochem. 2012;120:396-407 pubmed publisher..In summary, Clz functions in the PFC by orchestrating a synergism among 5-HT(1A)-R, CaMKII, and NMDA-R, which augments excitability in the PFC neurons of layers II/III. ..
- ..Other conditions including IBS-C and constipation may have inadequate 5-HT release and benefit from both 5-HT(3) and 5-HT(4) receptor agonists. ..
- Afergan E, Epstein H, Dahan R, Koroukhov N, Rohekar K, Danenberg H, et al. Delivery of serotonin to the brain by monocytes following phagocytosis of liposomes. J Control Release. 2008;132:84-90 pubmed publisher..Since treatment of animals by liposomal alendronate resulted with inhibition of monocytes but not of neutrophils, and with no brain delivery, it is suggested that monocytes are the main transporters of liposomes to the brain. ..
- King M, Spicer C, Sleight A, Marsden C, Fone K. Impact of regional 5-HT depletion on the cognitive enhancing effects of a typical 5-ht(6) receptor antagonist, Ro 04-6790, in the Novel Object Discrimination task. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;202:111-23 pubmed publisher..Because DR lesions did not produce the expected depletion of striatal 5-HT an additional contribution of DR inputs to this region cannot be completely excluded. ..
- Jones K, Brennan K, Colussi Mas J, Schenk S. Tolerance to 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine is associated with impaired serotonin release. Addict Biol. 2010;15:289-98 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that tolerance to the increased nose poke and emergence latency produced by MDMA is due to impaired 5-HT release. ..
- Vanattou Saïfoudine N, McNamara R, Harkin A. Mechanisms mediating the ability of caffeine to influence MDMA ('Ecstasy')-induced hyperthermia in rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:860-77 pubmed publisher..A combination of adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonism and PDE inhibition can account for the exacerbation of MDMA-induced hyperthermia by caffeine. ..
- McLane M, McCann U, Ricaurte G. Identifying the serotonin transporter signal in Western blot studies of the neurotoxic potential of MDMA and related drugs. Synapse. 2011;65:1368-72 pubmed publisher..These data provide further evidence of lasting loss of the SERT protein after exposure to MDMA and other substituted amphetamines. ..
- Kenna G, Zywiak W, McGeary J, Leggio L, McGeary C, Wang S, et al. A within-group design of nontreatment seeking 5-HTTLPR genotyped alcohol-dependent subjects receiving ondansetron and sertraline. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2009;33:315-23 pubmed publisher..Research must consider that typologies may predict successful treatment of AD in future trials. ..
- Finnema S, Varrone A, Hwang T, Gulyas B, Pierson M, Halldin C, et al. Fenfluramine-induced serotonin release decreases [11C]AZ10419369 binding to 5-HT1B-receptors in the primate brain. Synapse. 2010;64:573-7 pubmed publisher..This preliminary study supports that [(11)C]AZ10419369 is sensitive to endogenous 5-HT levels in vivo and may serve as a tool to examine the pathophysiology and treatment of major psychiatric disorders...
- Pilgrim J, Gerostamoulos D, Drummer O. Deaths involving serotonergic drugs. Forensic Sci Int. 2010;198:110-7 pubmed publisher..There were an additional 1095 cases where natural disease, external injury or the misuse of other drugs caused death, of which 2 reported the incidental contribution of serotonin toxicity. ..
- Buchanan T, Heffernan T, Parrott A, Ling J, Rodgers J, Scholey A. A short self-report measure of problems with executive function suitable for administration via the Internet. Behav Res Methods. 2010;42:709-14 pubmed publisher..Webexec thus appears suitable for online research with normal populations. ..
- Duparc C, Andre C, Menard J, Godouet Getti B, Wils J, Cailleux A, et al. l-Lysine Acts as a Serotonin Type 4 Receptor Antagonist to Counteract In Vitro and In Vivo the Stimulatory Effect of Serotonergic Agents on Aldosterone Secretion in Man. Horm Metab Res. 2017;49:269-275 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that l-Lysine supplementation may represent a new treatment of primary adrenal diseases in which corticosteroid hypersecretion is driven by overexpressed 5-HT4 receptors. ..
- Wójtowicz A, van den Boom L, Chakrabarty A, Maggio N, Haq R, Behrens C, et al. Monoamines block kainate- and carbachol-induced gamma-oscillations but augment stimulus-induced gamma-oscillations in rat hippocampus in vitro. Hippocampus. 2009;19:273-88 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the augmentation of stimulus-induced gamma-oscillations by monoamines involves--at least in part-different classes of cells than in case of carbachol- and kainate-induced gamma-oscillations...
- Canese R, Marco E, de Pasquale F, Podo F, Laviola G, Adriani W. Differential response to specific 5-Ht(7) versus whole-serotonergic drugs in rat forebrains: a phMRI study. Neuroimage. 2011;58:885-94 pubmed publisher..The present findings revealed two differential serotonergic sub-pathways, as evidenced by the detection of physiological vascular feedback and/or neuronal activation. ..
- Tran L, Keele N. CaMKIIÎ± knockdown decreases anxiety in the open field and low serotonin-induced upregulation of GluA1 in the basolateral amygdala. Behav Brain Res. 2016;303:152-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the CaMKII signaling plays a key role in low 5-HT-induced anxiety and mood disturbances, potentially through regulation of GluA1 expression in the BLA. ..
- Rothman R, Baumann M. Serotonergic drugs and valvular heart disease. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2009;8:317-29 pubmed publisher..A more likely cause of fenfluramine-induced valvulopathy is activation of 5-HT(2B) receptors on heart valves by the metabolite norfenfluramine. Future serotonergic medications should be designed to lack 5-HT(2B) agonist activity. ..
- Bambico F, Duranti A, Nobrega J, Gobbi G. The fatty acid amide hydrolase inhibitor URB597 modulates serotonin-dependent emotional behaviour, and serotonin1A and serotonin2A/C activity in the hippocampus. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2016;26:578-90 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that URB597 acts, either directly or indirectly, on the 5-HT system, increases hippocampal BDNF expression, and modifies 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A/C function. ..
- Tiniakov R, Scrogin K. The spleen is required for 5-HT1A receptor agonist-mediated increases in mean circulatory filling pressure during hemorrhagic shock in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1392-401 pubmed publisher..Moreover, blood mobilization stimulated by the spleen is required for the beneficial effects of 8-OH-DPAT. ..
- Perez Lloret S, Rascol O. Safety of rasagiline for the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2011;10:633-43 pubmed publisher..Drug interaction should be monitored. The risk of serotonin toxicity with serotoninergic antidepressants remains insufficiently characterized, while current available data in small groups of subjects suggest a low risk. ..
- Strobach D. [Clinically significant drug-drug interactions between analgesics and psychotopics]. Med Monatsschr Pharm. 2012;35:245-54; quiz 255-6 pubmed..The clinical relevance of warnings on drug interactions from data banks has always to be judged for the individual patient. ..
- Cegielska Perun K, Bujalska Zadrozny M, Tatarkiewicz J, Gąsińska E, Makulska Nowak H. Venlafaxine and neuropathic pain. Pharmacology. 2013;91:69-76 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that both noradrenergic and serotonergic mechanisms participate in the antinociceptive effect of VFX in the DNP model. However, the noradrenergic mechanism probably plays a more important role. ..
- Wang R, Vashistha V, Kaur S, Houchens N. Serotonin syndrome: Preventing, recognizing, and treating it. Cleve Clin J Med. 2016;83:810-817 pubmed publisher..We identify the common agents implicated in serotonin syndrome and the clinical tools to diagnose, manage, and prevent serotonergic toxicity. ..
- Salazar JuÃ¡rez A, Barbosa MÃ©ndez S, Jurado N, HernÃ¡ndez Miramontes R, Leff P, AntÃ³n B. Mirtazapine prevents induction and expression of cocaine-induced behavioral sensitization in rats. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2016;68:15-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that mirtazapine may be used as a potentially effective therapy to attenuate induction and expression of cocaine-induced locomotor sensitization. ..
- Jayne C, Simon J, Taylor L, Kimura T, Lesko L. Open-label extension study of flibanserin in women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder. J Sex Med. 2012;9:3180-8 pubmed publisher..Flibanserin was well tolerated. Sexual function improved in women who were not FSFI remitters at baseline, and was maintained in those who were remitters at baseline. ..
- Pilgrim J, Gerostamoulos D, Drummer O. Deaths involving MDMA and the concomitant use of pharmaceutical drugs. J Anal Toxicol. 2011;35:219-26 pubmed..These findings highlight the importance of recognizing and publicizing potential drug interactions between MDMA and pharmaceutical preparations that may result in lethal toxicity, in particular serotonin toxicity. ..
- Schenk M, Wirz S. [Serotonin syndrome and pain medication : What is relevant for practice?]. Schmerz. 2015;29:229-51 pubmed publisher..Patients with a severe serotonin syndrome require symptomatic intensive care and specifically a pharmacological antagonism with cyproheptadine or chlorpromazine. ..
- Assem E, Peh K, Wan B, Middleton B, Dines J, Marson C. Effects of a selection of histone deacetylase inhibitors on mast cell activation and airway and colonic smooth muscle contraction. Int Immunopharmacol. 2008;8:1793-801 pubmed publisher..Those various effects appear to involve modulation of cell signaling, probably involving G-protein coupled pathways, and further support the development of HDAC inhibitors as anti-inflammatory agents. ..
- Victoria F, de Siqueira Brahm A, Savegnago L, Lenardão E. Involvement of serotoninergic and adrenergic systems on the antidepressant-like effect of E. uniflora L. leaves essential oil and further analysis of its antioxidant activity. Neurosci Lett. 2013;544:105-9 pubmed publisher..The results revealed that EO has a potent antioxidant activity and therapeutic potential for the development of phytomedicines with antidepressant and antioxidant properties. ..
- Nisijima K, Shioda K, Iwamura T. Neuroleptic malignant syndrome and serotonin syndrome. Prog Brain Res. 2007;162:81-104 pubmed..In this review we describe the historical background, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and differential diagnosis of these two syndromes based on our observations on the experimental and clinical data. ..
- Filip M, Spampinato U, McCreary A, Przegalinski E. Pharmacological and genetic interventions in serotonin (5-HT)(2C) receptors to alter drug abuse and dependence processes. Brain Res. 2012;1476:132-53 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Brain Integration. ..
- Murnane K, PERRINE S, Finton B, Galloway M, Howell L, Fantegrossi W. Effects of exposure to amphetamine derivatives on passive avoidance performance and the central levels of monoamines and their metabolites in mice: correlations between behavior and neurochemistry. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;220:495-508 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that certain amphetamines impair PA performance in mice and that these impairments may be attributable to specific neurochemical depletions. ..
- Elangbam C, Job L, Zadrozny L, Barton J, Yoon L, Gates L, et al. 5-hydroxytryptamine (5HT)-induced valvulopathy: compositional valvular alterations are associated with 5HT2B receptor and 5HT transporter transcript changes in Sprague-Dawley rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2008;60:253-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, these findings further highlight the necessity and/or utilization of animal models to screen potential valvular effects of serotonergic compounds. ..
- Lorenz R, Vandenberg A, Canepa E. Serotonergic antidepressants and linezolid: a retrospective chart review and presentation of cases. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2008;38:81-90 pubmed..This retrospective review and subsequent case reports confirm the rare, but serious, potential of serotonin syndrome associated with the combination of linezolid and serotonergic antidepressants. ..
- Wade J, Juneja P, MacKay A, Graham J, Havel P, Tecott L, et al. Synergistic impairment of glucose homeostasis in ob/ob mice lacking functional serotonin 2C receptors. Endocrinology. 2008;149:955-61 pubmed..These pharmacological and genetic findings provide evidence that the serotonin 2C receptor has direct effects on glucose homeostasis. ..
- Personius K, Karnes J, Parker S. NMDA receptor blockade maintains correlated motor neuron firing and delays synapse competition at developing neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8983-92 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that MK801 injection preserves correlated neural activity via both synaptic mechanisms and maintenance of gap junctional coupling among neurons within the spinal cord, ultimately delaying synapse elimination. ..
- Poeschla B, Bartle P, Hansen K. Serotonin syndrome associated with polypharmacy in the elderly. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2011;33:301.e9-11 pubmed publisher..As this case illustrates, serotonin syndrome can be caused by combinations of direct serotonin agonists (e.g., serotonergic antidepressants) and indirect serotonin agonists (e.g., atypical antipsychotics)...
- Seidel M, Fiebich B, Ulrich Merzenich G, Candelario Jalil E, Koch F, Vetter H. Serotonin mediates PGE2 overexpression through 5-HT2A and 5-HT3 receptor subtypes in serum-free tissue culture of macrophage-like synovial cells. Rheumatol Int. 2008;28:1017-22 pubmed publisher..The serotonin-induced PGE(2) overexpression appeared thus to be mediated by 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(3) receptors. This activation might involve COX-2. The findings may explain the potent benefit of 5-HT(3) antagonists. ..
- Nakano T, Hozumi Y, Goto K, Wakabayashi I. Localization of diacylglycerol kinase epsilon on stress fibers in vascular smooth muscle cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2009;337:167-75 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that DGKepsilon interacts with actin stress fibers and is involved in their stability in vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Bethea C, Reddy A, Robertson N, Coleman K. Effects of aromatase inhibition and androgen activity on serotonin and behavior in male macaques. Behav Neurosci. 2013;127:400-14 pubmed publisher..95). In summary, androgens induced aggressive behavior but they did not regulate serotonin. Altogether, the data suggest that aromatase activity supports serotonin production and that androgens increase aggression by another mechanism. ..
- Kloppenburg P, Mercer A. Serotonin modulation of moth central olfactory neurons. Annu Rev Entomol. 2008;53:179-90 pubmed..Evidence suggests that 5HT-induced changes in activity within neural circuits of the antennal lobes might also drive structural plasticity, providing the basis for longer-term changes in antennal lobe function. ..
- Pratelli M, Migliarini S, Pelosi B, Napolitano F, Usiello A, Pasqualetti M. Perturbation of Serotonin Homeostasis during Adulthood Affects Serotonergic Neuronal Circuitry. Eneuro. 2017;4: pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that maintaining proper serotonin homeostasis in the adult brain is crucial to preserve the correct serotonergic axonal wiring. ..
- Lehner M, Taracha E, Turzyńska D, Sobolewska A, Hamed A, Kołomańska P, et al. The role of the dorsomedial part of the prefrontal cortex serotonergic innervation in rat responses to the aversively conditioned context: behavioral, biochemical and immunocytochemical studies. Behav Brain Res. 2008;192:203-15 pubmed publisher
- Gavrilov S, Kulinskii V. [5-hydroxytryptamine and 5-methoxytryptamine increase tolerance to global cerebral ischemia]. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2007;70:17-8 pubmed..Probably, an important role in the interaction with 5-HT receptors belongs to the NH2 group of the indole ring. ..
- Huynh C, Yanni L, Morgan L. Fibromyalgia: diagnosis and management for the primary healthcare provider. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2008;17:1379-87 pubmed publisher..This paper offers the primary healthcare provider a systematic approach to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia and management strategies based on available evidence, consensus, and empirical data. ..
- Calu D, Chen Y, Kawa A, Nair S, Shaham Y. The use of the reinstatement model to study relapse to palatable food seeking during dieting. Neuropharmacology. 2014;76 Pt B:395-406 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'NIDA 40th Anniversary Issue'. ..
- Salomon R, Cowan R. Oscillatory serotonin function in depression. Synapse. 2013;67:801-20 pubmed publisher..5HT oscillatory dysfunction may define illness subtypes and predict responses to serotonergic agents. Further studies of 5HT oscillations in depression are indicated. ..
- Hellstrom W. Update on treatments for premature ejaculation. Int J Clin Pract. 2011;65:16-26 pubmed publisher..Coupled with efficient diagnosis, it is hoped that these newer agents will improve the quality of life for patients who suffer from PE. ..
- Kasture S, Pawar A, Kasture A, Foddis C, Frau M, Maxia A. Effect of ethanolic extract of Rubia peregrina L. (Rubiaceae) on monoamine-mediated behaviour. Nat Prod Res. 2011;25:1950-4 pubmed publisher..The study suggests that we should carry out further experiments to investigate the psychopharmacological profile of R. peregrina...
- Blanckaert P, van Amsterdam J, Brunt T, van den Berg J, Van Durme F, Maudens K, et al. 4-Methyl-amphetamine: a health threat for recreational amphetamine users. J Psychopharmacol. 2013;27:817-22 pubmed publisher..Also, slower metabolism of 4-MA and its MAO-inhibiting properties can also contribute to the unusual high toxicity of 4-MA. ..
- Tran L, Lasher B, Young K, Keele N. Depletion of serotonin in the basolateral amygdala elevates glutamate receptors and facilitates fear-potentiated startle. Transl Psychiatry. 2013;3:e298 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that low 5-HT concentrations in the LA may facilitate fear behavior through enhanced GluR-mediated mechanisms. Moreover, our data support a relationship between 5-HT and glutamate in psychopathologies. ..
- Eagle D, Lehmann O, Theobald D, Pena Y, Zakaria R, Ghosh R, et al. Serotonin depletion impairs waiting but not stop-signal reaction time in rats: implications for theories of the role of 5-HT in behavioral inhibition. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:1311-21 pubmed publisher..This has significant implications for the treatment of conditions such as attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, substance abuse, and affective disorders, in which inhibitory and impulse-control deficits are common. ..
- Stoiljkovic M, Radulovacki M, Carley D. Local antagonism of intertrigeminal region metabotropic glutamate receptors exacerbates apneic responses to intravenous serotonin. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2009;165:137-42 pubmed publisher..The present observations also suggest that such respiratory damping may be mediated by mGlu1 receptors. These findings extend our understanding of the role of the intertrigeminal region in modulating respiratory reflexes. ..
- Seyrek M, Kahraman S, Deveci M, Yesilyurt O, Dogrul A. Systemic cannabinoids produce CB?-mediated antinociception by activation of descending serotonergic pathways that act upon spinal 5-HT(7) and 5-HT(2A) receptors. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;649:183-94 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that systemically administered cannabinoids interact with descending serotonergic pathways via CB?-mediated mechanisms and exert a central antinociceptive effect involving spinal 5-HT? and 5-HT(2A) receptors. ..
- Ohmura Y, Jutkiewicz E, Yoshioka M, Domino E. 5-Hydroxytryptophan attenuates somatic signs of nicotine withdrawal. J Pharmacol Sci. 2011;117:121-4 pubmed..Somatic signs were attenuated by the i.p. injection of 5-HTP, but not by NSD-1015, a centrally-acting L-aromatic amino acid decarboxylase inhibitor, indicating that 5-HTP mitigates somatic signs mainly through its conversion to 5-HT. ..
- Varela M, Brea J, Loza M, Maldonado R, Robledo P. Sensitization to MDMA locomotor effects and changes in the functionality of 5-HT(2A) and D? receptors in mice. Behav Pharmacol. 2011;22:362-9 pubmed publisher..These results reveal neuroadaptations in cortical 5-HT(2A) and striatal D? receptors after MDMA-induced behavioral sensitization in mice. ..