Summary: Drugs used for their actions on histaminergic systems. Included are drugs that act at histamine receptors, affect the life cycle of histamine, or affect the state of histaminergic cells.
- Hoffman A, Oura T, Riedelberger K, Mazan M. Plethysmographic comparison of breathing pattern in heaves (recurrent airway obstruction) versus experimental bronchoconstriction or hyperpnea in horses. J Vet Intern Med. 2007;21:184-92 pubmed..In a subset of heaves, the abdominal compartment (diaphragm, abdominal muscles) was completely out of synchrony with flow ("abdominal paradox") despite the clinical appearance of "increased abdominal effort." ..
- Liu H, Kerdesky F, Black L, Fitzgerald M, Henry R, Esbenshade T, et al. An efficient multigram synthesis of the potent histamine H3 antagonist GT-2331 and the reassessment of the absolute configuration. J Org Chem. 2004;69:192-4 pubmed..However, we found that the dextrorotatory, more potent, enantiomer of 4-[2-(5,5-dimethylhex-1-ynyl)cyclopropyl]-1H-imidazole has the (1S,2S) absolute configuration. We suggest a reconsideration of the absolute configuration of GT-2331. ..
- Kovalev I, Baskakov M, Medvedev M, Minochenko I, Kilin A, Anfinogenova I, et al. [Na+,K+,2Cl(-)-cotransport and chloride permeability of the cell membrane in mezaton and histamine regulation of electrical and contractile activity in smooth muscle cells from the guinea pig ureter]. Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova. 2007;93:306-17 pubmed
- Chávez H, Vega R, Soto E. Histamine (H3) receptors modulate the excitatory amino acid receptor response of the vestibular afferents. Brain Res. 2005;1064:1-9 pubmed..The present data show that the inhibitory action of the afferent neurons discharge previously described for BH is not restricted to this molecule but is also shared by other H3 antagonists. ..
- Takei H, Song L, Ebihara K, Shirakawa T, Koshikawa N, Kobayashi M. Histaminergic effects on the frequency of repetitive spike firing in rat insular cortex. Neurosci Lett. 2012;518:55-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, H(3) receptors have a minor role in the intrinsic membrane and firing properties of IC pyramidal cells. ..
- Yang L, Lynn A, Chen T. Ambulatory Care Visits to Pediatricians in Taiwan: A Nationwide Analysis. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:14043-54 pubmed publisher..The most frequent diagnoses were respiratory tract diseases (64.7%) and anti-histamine agents were prescribed in 48.8% of the visits to pediatricians...
- Schou M, Varnas K, Jureus A, Ahlgren C, Malmquist J, Häggkvist J, et al. Discovery and Preclinical Validation of [(11)C]AZ13153556, a Novel Probe for the Histamine Type 3 Receptor. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2016;7:177-84 pubmed publisher..11)C]5 has suitable properties for quantification of H3 receptors in nonhuman primate brain and has the potential to offer improved binding kinetics in man compared to [(11)C]1. ..
- Pham Ba V, Cho D, Kim D, Yoo H, Ta V, Hong S. Quantitative electrophysiological monitoring of anti-histamine drug effects on live cells via reusable sensor platforms. Biosens Bioelectron. 2017;94:707-713 pubmed publisher..Such quantitative evaluation capability of our method would promise versatile applications such as drug screening and nanoscale bio sensor researches. ..
- Brunstein F, Santos I, Ferreira L, van Tiel S, Eggermont A, ten Hagen T. Histamine combined with melphalan in isolated limb perfusion for the treatment of locally advanced soft tissue sarcomas: preclinical studies in rats. Acta Cir Bras. 2005;20:275-9 pubmed..Histamine combined with melphalan had a promising effect in the ILP warranting future studies to better explore the mechanism of action as well as its potential use in organ perfusion. ..
- Friberg S, Kahn L, Agvald P, Gustafsson L. Comparison between effects of intravenous and nebulized histamine in guinea pigs: correlation between changes in respiratory mechanics and exhaled nitric oxide. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006;547:143-51 pubmed..The close relationship between changes in exhaled nitric oxide and changes in lung compliance and pulmonary resistance merits further studies on the relationship between NO and airway reactivity. ..
- Solov eva A, Kornilova L, Akarachkova E, Temnikova V. [Betaserc treatment of psychogenic vertigo]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2004;104:39-42 pubmed
- Vietmeier J, Niedorf F, Baumer W, Martin C, Deegen E, Ohnesorge B, et al. Reactivity of equine airways--a study on precision-cut lung slices. Vet Res Commun. 2007;31:611-9 pubmed..In conclusion, the PCLS technique is promising for studies on small airways in the equine lung. In the present study the basic principles of in vitro (ex vivo) examinations with equine PCLS on airway reactivity were developed. ..
- Paul V, Chopra K, Kulkarni S. Histaminergic modulation of stress-induced analgesia and cognitive dysfunction. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2002;24:413-9 pubmed..Thus the involvement of the central histaminergic system, through histamine H1- and H2-receptors, may be speculated in analgesia and cognitive deficit induced by immobilization stress. ..
- Pianosi P, Smith C, Almudevar A, McGrath P. Dalhousie dyspnea scales: Pictorial scales to measure dyspnea during induced bronchoconstriction. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2006;41:1182-7 pubmed..The Dalhousie Dyspnea Scales are useful and accurate tools to measure dyspnea due to bronchoconstriction in children. ..
- Howland R. Pharmacotherapy for psychotropic drug-related weight gain. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2008;46:15-8 pubmed..However, even if such drugs are effective, all patients should receive ongoing dietary and physical activity counseling. ..
- Passani M, Blandina P, Torrealba F. The histamine H3 receptor and eating behavior. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;336:24-9 pubmed publisher..The aim of this review is to outline the relevance of the histaminergic system in controlling feeding behavior and evaluate the potential therapeutic use of histaminergic ligands for the treatment of eating disorders. ..
- Kiss R, Sándor M, Gere A, Schmidt E, Balogh G, Kiss B, et al. Discovery of novel histamine H4 and serotonin transporter ligands using the topological feature tree descriptor. J Chem Inf Model. 2012;52:233-42 pubmed publisher..Prospective screening of our in-house compound deck provided several novel H4 and SERT ligands that could serve as suitable starting points for further optimization. ..
- Hishinuma S, Matsumoto Y, Sato R, Saito M. Ca2+-dependent differential development of carbachol-induced desensitization to receptor agonists and high K+ in guinea-pig taenia caeci. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2007;34:15-21 pubmed..4. These results suggest that cellular responsiveness to receptor agonists and non-receptor-mediated depolarizing stimulation is differentially regulated by Ca(2+)-dependent heterologous desensitization in smooth muscle. ..
- Deng C, Weston Green K, Huang X. The role of histaminergic H1 and H3 receptors in food intake: a mechanism for atypical antipsychotic-induced weight gain?. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2010;34:1-4 pubmed publisher..In addition, atypical antipsychotics may affect food intake by influencing 5-HT, NA and ACh release via interactions with the H3 heteroreceptor. ..
- Vorobjev V, Sharonova I, Haas H, Sergeeva O. Expression and function of P2X purinoceptors in rat histaminergic neurons. Br J Pharmacol. 2003;138:1013-9 pubmed
- Matsnev E, Sigaleva E. Efficacy of histaminergic drugs in experimental motion sickness. J Vestib Res. 2007;17:313-21 pubmed..01). It was found that "Betahistine" demonstrated antimotion sickness efficacy and improved oculomotor activity (increased gain during pursuit movements, faster and more accurate saccades). ..
- Rembold C, Tejani A, Ripley M, Han S. Paxillin phosphorylation, actin polymerization, noise temperature, and the sustained phase of swine carotid artery contraction. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C993-1002 pubmed..Further research is needed to determine whether Y118 paxillin phosphorylation, actin polymerization, and changes in rheology could have a role in arterial smooth muscle contraction. ..
- Leurs R, Tulp M, Menge W, Adolfs M, Zuiderveld O, Timmerman H. Evaluation of the receptor selectivity of the H3 receptor antagonists, iodophenpropit and thioperamide: an interaction with the 5-HT3 receptor revealed. Br J Pharmacol. 1995;116:2315-21 pubmed..Keywords.: Histamine H3-receptor; iodophenpropit; thioperamide; receptor selectivity; 5-hydroxytryptamine 5-HT3 receptor;guinea-pig intestine; rat brain; Von Bezold Jarisch reflex ..
- Khalilzadeh A, Zarrindast M, Djahanguiri B. Effects of intracerebroventricular administration of ultra low doses of histaminergic drugs on morphine state-dependent memory of passive avoidance in mice. Behav Brain Res. 2006;166:184-7 pubmed..These effects were opposite to microgram doses of the same drugs. ..
- Benitex Y, McNaney C, Luchetti D, Schaeffer E, Olah T, Morgan D, et al. Addressing the need for biomarker liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry assays: a protocol for effective method development for the bioanalysis of endogenous compounds in cerebrospinal fluid. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2013;27:1882-6 pubmed publisher
- Stamatas G, Southall M, Kollias N. In vivo monitoring of cutaneous edema using spectral imaging in the visible and near infrared. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:1753-60 pubmed..We conclude that spectral imaging can be a valuable noninvasive tool in the study of edema pathology and can be used to monitor the edema reaction in vivo or follow the efficacy of treatments in a clinical setting. ..
- Zarrindast M, Rostami P, Zarei M, Roohbakhsh A. Intracerebroventricular effects of histaminergic agents on morphine-induced anxiolysis in the elevated plus-maze in rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2005;97:276-81 pubmed..This may imply that morphine-induced anxiolysis probably is independent of the histaminergic system. ..
- Rembold C. Force suppression and the crossbridge cycle in swine carotid artery. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;293:C1003-9 pubmed..These data are most consistent with a model where force suppression involves the inhibition of phosphorylated crossbridge binding to thin filaments. ..
- Fukagawa K, Sakata T. [Monoaminergic anorectic agents]. Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi. 2001;118:303-8 pubmed..L-Histizine thus inspires development of more effective and safer anorectics that can be used without suffering from the rebound phenomenon of body weight. ..
- Liu C, Chen Z, Liu F, Hu D, Luo J. Involvement of brain endogenous histamine in the degeneration of dopaminergic neurons in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned rats. Neuropharmacology. 2007;53:832-41 pubmed
- Samb A, Pretrolani M, Lanone S, Ouksel H, Aubier M, Boczkowski J. [Study of cellularity in bronchoalveolar fluid and bronchial reactivity to histamine in a model of asthma in guinea pig]. Dakar Med. 2006;51:113-8 pubmed
- Ikarashi Y, Yuzurihara M. Experimental anxiety induced by histaminergics in mast cell-deficient and congenitally normal mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2002;72:437-41 pubmed..These results suggest that both nonneuronal mast cell-derived histamine and neuronal histamine play an important role in inducing experimental anxiety. ..
- Tomita K, Nakamura E, Okabe S. Histamine regulates growth of malignant melanoma implants via H2 receptors in mice. Inflammopharmacology. 2005;13:281-9 pubmed..These results indicated that both endogenous and exogenous histamine have ability to stimulate growth of malignant melanoma implants via H2 receptors expressed in host cells. ..
- Yu L, Zhang X, Cao S, Peng S, Ji D, Zhu J, et al. Na(+) -Ca(2+) Exchanger, Leak K(+) Channel and Hyperpolarization-Activated Cyclic Nucleotide-Gated Channel Comediate the Histamine-Induced Excitation on Rat Inferior Vestibular Nucleus Neurons. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2016;22:184-93 pubmed publisher..The findings also suggest potential targets for the treatment of vestibular disorders in the clinic, at the level of ionic channels in central vestibular nuclei. ..
- Jadidi Niaragh F, Mirshafiey A. Histamine and histamine receptors in pathogenesis and treatment of multiple sclerosis. Neuropharmacology. 2010;59:180-9 pubmed publisher..In this review, we try to clarify the role of histamine in pathogenesis of MS, as well as we evaluate the efficacy of histamine receptors agonists and antagonists in treatment of this disease. ..
- Jochem J, Altinbas B, Yalcin M, Ottani A, Giuliani D, Savci V, et al. Involvement of the histaminergic system in the resuscitating effect of centrally acting leptin in haemorrhagic shock in rats. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2016;67:67-74 pubmed..In conclusion, the histaminergic system is involved in centrally-acting leptin-induced resuscitating effect in haemorrhagic shock in rats. ..
- Yuzurihara M, Ikarashi Y, Ishige A, Sasaki H, Maruyama Y. Anxiolytic-like effect of saiboku-to, an oriental herbal medicine, on histaminergics-induced anxiety in mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;67:489-95 pubmed..The results suggest that saiboku-to exhibits anxiolytic-like effect closely related to histaminergic system in the brain. ..
- Ji W, Suga N. Histaminergic modulation of nonspecific plasticity of the auditory system and differential gating. J Neurophysiol. 2013;109:792-802 pubmed publisher..Thus HA modulates the nonspecific augmentation, whereas acetylcholine amplifies the BF shifts. These two neuromodulators may mediate differential gating of cortical plasticity. ..
- Lemaigre V, Van den Bergh O, Smets A, De Peuter S, Verleden G. Effects of long-acting bronchodilators and placebo on histamine-induced asthma symptoms and mild bronchusobstruction. Respir Med. 2006;100:348-53 pubmed
- Kitanaka J, Kitanaka N, Tatsuta T, Morita Y, Takemura M. Blockade of brain histamine metabolism alters methamphetamine-induced expression pattern of stereotypy in mice via histamine H1 receptors. Neuroscience. 2007;147:765-77 pubmed
- Zarrindast M, Moghadam A, Rostami P, Roohbakhsh A. The effects of histaminergic agents in the central amygdala of rats in the elevated plus-maze test of anxiety. Behav Pharmacol. 2005;16:643-9 pubmed..5 microl bilateral. The results suggest that histamine may modulate anxiety via H1 but not H2 receptors in the rat central amygdala. ..
- Chiba Y, Matsuo K, Sakai H, Abe K, Misawa M. Increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in nasal mucosae of guinea pigs with induced allergic rhinitis. Am J Rhinol. 2006;20:336-41 pubmed..However, the pathophysiological role(s) of NO generated by iNOS in nasal allergy is still unclear. ..
- Kandilci H, Gumusel B, Demiryurek A, Lippton H. Preconditioning modulates pulmonary endothelial dysfunction following ischemia-reperfusion injury in the rat lung: role of potassium channels. Life Sci. 2006;79:2172-8 pubmed
- Brunstein F, Hoving S, aan de Wiel Ambagtsheer G, De Bruijn E, Guetens G, Eggermont A, et al. Decreased response rates by the combination of histamine and IL-2 in melphalan-based isolated limb perfusion. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2007;56:573-80 pubmed..8-fold), or IL-2 only (3.5-fold) combined to melphalan. In vitro there was no synergy between the drugs. In conclusion there was a negative synergistic effect between IL-2 and Hi in the regional setting. ..
- van Heerbeek N, van der Avoort S, Zielhuis G, Cremers C. Sonotubometry: a useful tool to measure intra-individual changes in eustachian tube ventilatory function. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;133:763-6 pubmed..4-6.9; P < .001). Sonotubometry is capable of detecting intra-individual changes in ET function and may therefore be a very useful tool in monitoring and/or clinical research of ET dysfunction or function. ..
- Kerry Z, Yasa M, Sevin G, Reel B, Yetik Anacak G, Ozer A. Diverse effects of calcium channel blockers in the collar model. Acta Cardiol. 2005;60:493-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that, in rabbit carotid artery, CD-832 did not inhibit the collar-induced intimal thickening and did not affect the accompanying changes in vascular reactivity. ..
- Rostami P, Hajizadeh Moghaddam A, Zarrindast M. The effects of histaminergic agents in the ventral hippocampus of rats in the plus-maze test of anxiety-like behaviours. Physiol Behav. 2006;87:891-6 pubmed..Our results showed that histamine may modulate anxiety-like behaviours via H1 and H2 receptors in the ventral hippocampus of the rats. ..
- Biswas P, Canosa S, Schoenfeld D, Schoenfeld J, Li P, Cheas L, et al. PECAM-1 affects GSK-3beta-mediated beta-catenin phosphorylation and degradation. Am J Pathol. 2006;169:314-24 pubmed
- Pfab F, Valet M, Sprenger T, Toelle T, Athanasiadis G, Behrendt H, et al. Short-term alternating temperature enhances histamine-induced itch: a biphasic stimulus model. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:2673-8 pubmed
- Rossbach K, Nassenstein C, Gschwandtner M, Schnell D, Sander K, Seifert R, et al. Histamine H1, H3 and H4 receptors are involved in pruritus. Neuroscience. 2011;190:89-102 pubmed publisher..It is assumed that the decreased threshold in response to H3R antagonism activates H1R and H4R on sensory neurons, which in turn results in the excitation of histamine-sensitive afferents and therefore elicits the sensation of itch. ..
- Pereira R, Medeiros Y, Fröde T. Antiinflammatory effects of Tacrolimus in a mouse model of pleurisy. Transpl Immunol. 2006;16:105-11 pubmed..Tacrolimus is an antibiotic macrolide with immunosuppressant properties isolated from Streptomyces tsukubaensis...
- Ekici M, Ekici A, Kara T, Keles H, Karlidag A, Altunkaya V, et al. Perception of dyspnea during exacerbation and histamine-related bronchoconstriction in patients with asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006;96:707-12 pubmed..Therefore, the perception of dyspnea during histamine-induced bronchoconstriction cannot be used to identify the asthmatic patients who perceive dyspnea poorly. ..
- Rahman A, Inoue T, Ago J, Ishikawa T, Kamei C. Interactive effect of histamine and prostaglandin D2 on nasal allergic symptoms in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007;554:229-34 pubmed
- Barbier A, Bradbury M. Histaminergic control of sleep-wake cycles: recent therapeutic advances for sleep and wake disorders. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2007;6:31-43 pubmed..In addition, we review the current data available on the use of ligands at H(3) receptors for the modulation of sleep and wake. ..
- Glod J, Kobiler D, Noel M, Koneru R, Lehrer S, Medina D, et al. Monocytes form a vascular barrier and participate in vessel repair after brain injury. Blood. 2006;107:940-6 pubmed..We also demonstrate that these cells associate with repairing vasculature in areas of brain and skin injury. Our data suggest that CD14+ peripheral blood monocytes participate in the repair of the vascular barrier after brain injury. ..
- Buoli M, Serati M, Cahn W. Alternative pharmacological strategies for adult ADHD treatment: a systematic review. Expert Rev Neurother. 2016;16:131-44 pubmed publisher..Finally metadoxine and lithium may be particularly suitable in case of comorbid alcohol misuse or bipolar disorder. ..
- Provensi G, Fabbri R, Munari L, Costa A, Baldi E, Bucherelli C, et al. Histaminergic Neurotransmission as a Gateway for the Cognitive Effect of Oleoylethanolamide in Contextual Fear Conditioning. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017;20:392-399 pubmed publisher..Hence, targeting the H1 and H2 receptors may modify the expression of emotional memory and reduce dysfunctional aversive memories as found in phobias and posttraumatic stress disorder. ..
- Ferrada C, Ferre S, Casado V, Cortes A, Justinova Z, Barnes C, et al. Interactions between histamine H3 and dopamine D2 receptors and the implications for striatal function. Neuropharmacology. 2008;55:190-7 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates an important role of postsynaptic H(3) receptors in the modulation of dopaminergic transmission by means of a negative modulation of D(2) receptor function. ..
- Davis M, Williamson K, McKenzie E, Royer C, Payton M, Nelson S. Effect of training and rest on respiratory mechanical properties in racing sled dogs. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005;37:337-41 pubmed..These findings suggest that repeated exercise in cold conditions can lead to airway disease that does not readily resolve with cessation of exercise. ..
- Tiligada E, Kyriakidis K, Chazot P, Passani M. Histamine pharmacology and new CNS drug targets. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2011;17:620-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the role of the brain histaminergic system(s) in neuroprotection and neuroimmunology/inflammation remains a challenging research area that is currently under consideration. ..
- Chee S, Menard J. The histaminergic H1, H2, and H3 receptors of the lateral septum differentially mediate the anxiolytic-like effects of histamine on rats' defensive behaviors in the elevated plus maze and novelty-induced suppression of feeding paradigm. Physiol Behav. 2013;116-117:66-74 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that these receptors differentially contribute to rats' specific defensive behaviors in the EPM and NISF, that is, avoidance of open spaces and neophagia respectively. ..
- Lazareva D, Davydova V. [Antiinflammatory and antiulcer effect of oxymethyluracil]. Eksp Klin Farmakol. 2005;68:53-5 pubmed..In contrast to voltarcen, oxymethyluracil also exhibited gastroprotective antiulcer properties. ..