Genomes and Genes
excitatory amino acid agents
Summary: Drugs used for their actions on any aspect of excitatory amino acid neurotransmitter systems. Included are drugs that act on excitatory amino acid receptors, affect the life cycle of excitatory amino acid transmitters, or affect the survival of neurons using excitatory amino acids.
Publications114 found, 100 shown here
- Hanamori T. Effects of electrical and chemical stimulation of the amygdala on the spontaneous discharge in the insular cortex in rats. Brain Res. 2009;1276:91-102 pubmed publisher..Such results may yield data leading to the elucidation of the neuronal mechanisms of conditioned taste aversion. ..
- Feng L, Sametsky E, Gusev A, Uteshev V. Responsiveness to nicotine of neurons of the caudal nucleus of the solitary tract correlates with the neuronal projection target. J Neurophysiol. 2012;108:1884-94 pubmed publisher..These results may support development of therapeutic strategies for selective targeting of specific autonomic pathways and impaired autonomic homeostasis. ..
- Wieronska J, Pilc A. Glutamate-based anxiolytic ligands in clinical trials. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2013;22:1007-22 pubmed publisher..However, relatively few trials are found on the agents that are focused on GABAergic neurotransmission. Therefore, it seems that glutamatergic system may become a novel target for modern and effective anxiolytics. ..
- Lavreysen H, Langlois X, Ahnaou A, Drinkenburg W, Te Riele P, Biesmans I, et al. Pharmacological characterization of JNJ-40068782, a new potent, selective, and systemically active positive allosteric modulator of the mGlu2 receptor and its radioligand [3H]JNJ-40068782. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;346:514-27 pubmed publisher
- Brooks P, Peever J. Glycinergic and GABA(A)-mediated inhibition of somatic motoneurons does not mediate rapid eye movement sleep motor atonia. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3535-45 pubmed publisher..Our data refute the prevailing hypothesis that REM atonia is caused by glycinergic inhibition. The inhibitory mechanism mediating REM atonia therefore requires reevaluation. ..
- Purgert C, Izumi Y, Jong Y, Kumar V, Zorumski C, O Malley K. Intracellular mGluR5 can mediate synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4589-98 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a physiologically relevant and important role for intracellular mGluR5 in hippocampal synaptic plasticity. ..
- Luna Medina R, Cortes Canteli M, Sanchez Galiano S, Morales Garcia J, Martinez A, Santos A, et al. NP031112, a thiadiazolidinone compound, prevents inflammation and neurodegeneration under excitotoxic conditions: potential therapeutic role in brain disorders. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5766-76 pubmed..As such, these findings identify NP031112 as a potential therapeutic agent for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Schlumberger C, Pietraszek M, Gravius A, Klein K, Greco S, Morè L, et al. Comparison of the mGlu(5) receptor positive allosteric modulator ADX47273 and the mGlu(2/3) receptor agonist LY354740 in tests for antipsychotic-like activity. Eur J Pharmacol. 2009;623:73-83 pubmed publisher..Lack of effect of olanzapine was unexpected and at present no convincing explanation can be provided. In conclusion, in selected rodent models for positive schizophrenia symptoms, ADX47273 showed better efficacy than LY354740. ..
- Saliba R, Michels G, Jacob T, Pangalos M, Moss S. Activity-dependent ubiquitination of GABA(A) receptors regulates their accumulation at synaptic sites. J Neurosci. 2007;27:13341-51 pubmed
- Kobayashi M, Kojima M, Koyanagi Y, Adachi K, Imamura K, Koshikawa N. Presynaptic and postsynaptic modulation of glutamatergic synaptic transmission by activation of alpha(1)- and beta-adrenoceptors in layer V pyramidal neurons of rat cerebral cortex. Synapse. 2009;63:269-81 pubmed publisher..These two different mechanisms of modulation of excitatory synaptic transmission may improve the "signal-to-noise ratio" in cerebral cortex. ..
- Eisen A, Weber M. Treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Drugs Aging. 1999;14:173-96 pubmed
- Socodato R, Magalhães C, Paes de Carvalho R. Glutamate and nitric oxide modulate ERK and CREB phosphorylation in the avian retina: evidence for direct signaling from neurons to Müller glial cells. J Neurochem. 2009;108:417-29 pubmed publisher..Hence, the results indicate the importance of neuronal-glial communication and glutamate/NO/CREB linkage during retinal development. ..
- Abrahao K, Souza Formigoni M. Behavioral sensitization to ethanol results in cross-sensitization to MK-801 but not to NMDA administered intra-accumbens. Behav Brain Res. 2012;235:218-24 pubmed publisher..Despite no effect of the agonist administration, only in sensitized mice did we observe cross-sensitization between repeated ethanol treatment and the intra-NAc administration of MK-801. ..
- Pennucci R, Talpo F, Astro V, Montinaro V, MorÃ¨ L, Cursi M, et al. Loss of Either Rac1 or Rac3 GTPase Differentially Affects the Behavior of Mutant Mice and the Development of Functional GABAergic Networks. Cereb Cortex. 2016;26:873-890 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Rac1 and Rac3 have independent roles in the formation of GABAergic circuits, as highlighted by the differential effects of their deletion on the late maturation of specific populations of interneurons. ..
- Gerhard D, Wohleb E, Duman R. Emerging treatment mechanisms for depression: focus on glutamate and synaptic plasticity. Drug Discov Today. 2016;21:454-64 pubmed publisher..The cellular mechanisms underlying the rapid antidepressant actions of ketamine and related agents are discussed, as well as novel, selective glutamatergic receptor targets that are safer and have fewer side effects. ..
- Lamotte D Incamps B, Ascher P. Four excitatory postsynaptic ionotropic receptors coactivated at the motoneuron-Renshaw cell synapse. J Neurosci. 2008;28:14121-31 pubmed publisher..This suggests that in physiological conditions the pattern of discharge of the RC in response to a MN input may alternate between a phasic and a tonic response. ..
- Kim J, Perugini M, Austin J, Vezina P. Previous exposure to amphetamine enhances the subsequent locomotor response to a D1 dopamine receptor agonist when glutamate reuptake is inhibited. J Neurosci. 2001;21:RC133 pubmed..They stress, with other findings, the importance of GLU-DA interactions in the NAcc not only in the generation of acute stimulant drug effects but in sensitized responding to these drugs as well. ..
- Cartier A, Djakovic S, Salehi A, Wilson S, Masliah E, Patrick G. Regulation of synaptic structure by ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase L1. J Neurosci. 2009;29:7857-68 pubmed publisher..These findings point to a significant role of UCH-L1 in synaptic remodeling, most likely by modulating free monomeric ubiquitin levels in an activity-dependent manner. ..
- Fan J, Cowan C, Zhang L, Hayden M, Raymond L. Interaction of postsynaptic density protein-95 with NMDA receptors influences excitotoxicity in the yeast artificial chromosome mouse model of Huntington's disease. J Neurosci. 2009;29:10928-38 pubmed publisher..Our results elucidate further the mechanisms underlying enhanced excitotoxicity in HD. ..
- Tyler W, Petzold G, Pal S, Murthy V. Experience-dependent modification of primary sensory synapses in the mammalian olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2007;27:9427-38 pubmed..Such compensatory experience-dependent changes may represent a mechanism of sensory gain control. ..
- Farmer C, Thurm A, Grant P. Pharmacotherapy for the core symptoms in autistic disorder: current status of the research. Drugs. 2013;73:303-14 pubmed publisher..g., heterogeneity of the disorder) that continue to prevent the elucidation of efficacious treatments. ..
- Sobrio F. Radiosynthesis of carbon-11 and fluorine-18 labelled radiotracers to image the ionotropic and metabotropic glutamate receptors. J Labelled Comp Radiopharm. 2013;56:180-6 pubmed publisher..2.2/potassium [(18) F]fluoride complex, some radiosyntheses were performed with recent radiolabelling reactions like the use of iodionium salt for [(18) F]-labelling. ..
- Czarnecki A, Le Corronc H, Rigato C, Le Bras B, Couraud F, Scain A, et al. Acetylcholine controls GABA-, glutamate-, and glycine-dependent giant depolarizing potentials that govern spontaneous motoneuron activity at the onset of synaptogenesis in the mouse embryonic spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2014;34:6389-404 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that, even in its earliest form, the activity of spinal MNs relies on a refined poly-synaptic network and involves a tight presynaptic cholinergic regulation of both GABAergic and glutamatergic inputs. ..
- Foster K, McLaughlin N, Edbauer D, Phillips M, Bolton A, Constantine Paton M, et al. Distinct roles of NR2A and NR2B cytoplasmic tails in long-term potentiation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:2676-85 pubmed publisher..In contrast, NR2A is not essential for LTP, and its cytoplasmic tail seems to carry inhibitory factors for LTP. ..
- Cinelli E, Robertson B, Mutolo D, Grillner S, Pantaleo T, Bongianni F. Neuronal mechanisms of respiratory pattern generation are evolutionary conserved. J Neurosci. 2013;33:9104-12 pubmed publisher..We conclude that some basic features of the excitatory neurons proposed to generate respiratory rhythms are conserved throughout evolution. ..
- de Rivero Vaccari J, Corriveau R, Belousov A. Gap junctions are required for NMDA receptor dependent cell death in developing neurons. J Neurophysiol. 2007;98:2878-86 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose the novel hypothesis that NMDA receptors and gap junctions work in concert to regulate neuronal survival. ..
- Yang Y, Gozen O, Watkins A, Lorenzini I, Lepore A, Gao Y, et al. Presynaptic regulation of astroglial excitatory neurotransmitter transporter GLT1. Neuron. 2009;61:880-94 pubmed publisher..Presynaptic elements dynamically coordinate normal astroglial function and also provide a fundamental signaling mechanism by which altered neuronal function and injury leads to dysregulated astroglia in CNS disease. ..
- Zheng H, Liu X, Li Y, Sharma N, Patel K. Gene transfer of neuronal nitric oxide synthase to the paraventricular nucleus reduces the enhanced glutamatergic tone in rats with chronic heart failure. Hypertension. 2011;58:966-73 pubmed publisher..According to our results, nNOS downregulation enhances glutamate transmission in the PVN by increasing NR(1) subunit expression. This mechanism may enhance renal sympathetic nerve activity in CHF rats. ..
- Garcia B, Neely M, Deutch A. Cortical regulation of striatal medium spiny neuron dendritic remodeling in parkinsonism: modulation of glutamate release reverses dopamine depletion-induced dendritic spine loss. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:2423-32 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first evidence to show that MSN spine loss associated with parkinsonism can be reversed and point to suppression of corticostriatal glutamate release as a means of slowing progression in Parkinson's disease...
- Jafari P, Braissant O, Bonafe L, Ballhausen D. The unsolved puzzle of neuropathogenesis in glutaric aciduria type I. Mol Genet Metab. 2011;104:425-37 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the experimental evidence and try to delineate possible pathogenetic models and approaches for future studies. ..
- Biber K, Pinto Duarte A, Wittendorp M, Dolga A, Fernandes C, von Frijtag Drabbe Kunzel J, et al. Interleukin-6 upregulates neuronal adenosine A1 receptors: implications for neuromodulation and neuroprotection. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2008;33:2237-50 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that IL-6 minimizes the consequences of excitotoxic episodes on brain function through the enhancement of endogenous adenosinergic signaling. ..
- Janszky J. [Role of zonisamid in treating epilepsy, Parkinson disorders and other neurological diseases]. Ideggyogy Sz. 2009;62:383-9 pubmed..A peculiar benefit of the ZNS is that parallel to its positive effect on motor impairment it also reduces severity of dyskinesias. ZNS may be effective in bipolar disorder, obesity, eating disorders, and migraine prophylaxis. ..
- Salussolia C, Prodromou M, Borker P, Wollmuth L. Arrangement of subunits in functional NMDA receptors. J Neurosci. 2011;31:11295-304 pubmed publisher..GluN subunits are therefore positioned in a N1/N2/N1/N2 arrangement in functional NMDA receptors. ..
- Krishnan B, Centeno M, Pollandt S, Fu Y, Genzer K, Liu J, et al. Dopamine receptor mechanisms mediate corticotropin-releasing factor-induced long-term potentiation in the rat amygdala following cocaine withdrawal. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:1027-42 pubmed publisher..CRF interactions with the DA system in the amygdala may represent a fundamental neurochemical and cellular mechanism linking stress to cocaine-induced neuronal plasticity...
- Bellone C, Mameli M, Lüscher C. In utero exposure to cocaine delays postnatal synaptic maturation of glutamatergic transmission in the VTA. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1439-46 pubmed publisher..These data identify the molecular target through which in utero cocaine delays postnatal synaptic maturation, reveal the underlying expression mechanism of this impairment and propose a potential rescue strategy. ..
- Fitzgerald P. The NMDA receptor may participate in widespread suppression of circuit level neural activity, in addition to a similarly prominent role in circuit level activation. Behav Brain Res. 2012;230:291-8 pubmed publisher..The data suggest the NMDAR participates in activation, as well as widespread suppression, of circuit level neural activity, where the suppression may be particularly prominent in limbic circuits. ..
- Vizcarra Chacón B, Arias García M, Pérez Ramírez M, Flores Barrera E, Tapia D, Drucker Colín R, et al. Contribution of different classes of glutamate receptors in the corticostriatal polysynaptic responses from striatal direct and indirect projection neurons. BMC Neurosci. 2013;14:60 pubmed publisher..Glutamate receptors participation in these responses is described as well as differences and similarities between dSPNs and iSPNs. ..
- Goeldner C, Reiss D, Wichmann J, Meziane H, Kieffer B, Ouagazzal A. Nociceptin receptor impairs recognition memory via interaction with NMDA receptor-dependent mitogen-activated protein kinase/extracellular signal-regulated kinase signaling in the hippocampus. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2190-8 pubmed publisher..This modulation may in part take place by inhibiting glutamatergic function at the NMDA receptor. ..
- Brasier D, Feldman D. Synapse-specific expression of functional presynaptic NMDA receptors in rat somatosensory cortex. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2199-211 pubmed publisher..Thus, presynaptic NMDARs selectively modulate L4-L2/3 synapses, relative to other synapses made by the same neurons. Existence of these receptors may support specialized processing or plasticity by L4-L2/3 synapses. ..
- Yang L, Fujita T, Jiang C, Piao L, Yue H, Mizuta K, et al. TRPV1 agonist piperine but not olvanil enhances glutamatergic spontaneous excitatory transmission in rat spinal substantia gelatinosa neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:841-5 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that piperine but not olvanil activates TRPV1 channels in the central terminals of primary-afferent neurons, resulting in an increase in the spontaneous release of l-glutamate onto SG neurons. ..
- Rea K, Olango W, Harhen B, Kerr D, Galligan R, Fitzgerald S, et al. Evidence for a role of GABAergic and glutamatergic signalling in the basolateral amygdala in endocannabinoid-mediated fear-conditioned analgesia in rats. Pain. 2013;154:576-85 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that CB1 receptors in the BLA facilitate the expression of FCA, through a mechanism which is likely to involve the modulation of GABAergic and glutamatergic signalling. ..
- Zhang S, Xu M, Miao Q, Poo M, Zhang X. Endocannabinoid-dependent homeostatic regulation of inhibitory synapses by miniature excitatory synaptic activities. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13222-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, mEPSCs contribute to the maintenance of inhibitory synaptic function and the absence of mEPSCs results in presynaptic suppression of inhibitory synapses via protein synthesis-dependent elevation of eCB signaling. ..
- García Junco Clemente P, Cantero G, Gómez Sánchez L, Linares Clemente P, Martínez López J, Lujan R, et al. Cysteine string protein-alpha prevents activity-dependent degeneration in GABAergic synapses. J Neurosci. 2010;30:7377-91 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that elevated neural activity increases synapse vulnerability and that CSP-alpha is essential to maintain presynaptic function under a physiologically high-activity regimen. ..
- Broussard D, Titley H, Antflick J, Hampson D. Motor learning in the VOR: the cerebellar component. Exp Brain Res. 2011;210:451-63 pubmed publisher..Our results also provide new evidence for the existence of frequency channels for vestibular signals within the cerebellar cortex. ..
- Enz R. Metabotropic glutamate receptors and interacting proteins: evolving drug targets. Curr Drug Targets. 2012;13:145-56 pubmed
- van Wingerden M, Vinck M, Tijms V, Ferreira I, Jonker A, Pennartz C. NMDA receptors control cue-outcome selectivity and plasticity of orbitofrontal firing patterns during associative stimulus-reward learning. Neuron. 2012;76:813-25 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the importance of NMDARs for cue-outcome associative coding in OFC during learning and illustrate how NMDAR blockade disrupts network dynamics. ..
- Yang J, Li M, Luo Y, Chen T, Liu J, Fang P, et al. Chronic ceftriaxone treatment rescues hippocampal memory deficit in AQP4 knockout mice via activation of GLT-1. Neuropharmacology. 2013;75:213-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that AQP4 functions as the modulator of synaptic plasticity and memory, and chronic Cef treatment rescues hippocampal memory deficit induced by AQP4 knockout. ..
- Pérez Acevedo N, Krenz W. Metabotropic glutamate receptor agonists modify the pyloric output of the crustacean stomatogastric ganglion. Brain Res. 2005;1062:1-8 pubmed..The inhibitory effect of l-AP4 was blocked by MPPG and partially blocked by APICA. ..
- Suto F, Tsuboi M, Kamiya H, Mizuno H, Kiyama Y, Komai S, et al. Interactions between plexin-A2, plexin-A4, and semaphorin 6A control lamina-restricted projection of hippocampal mossy fibers. Neuron. 2007;53:535-47 pubmed
- Collingridge G, Peineau S, Howland J, Wang Y. Long-term depression in the CNS. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2010;11:459-73 pubmed publisher..In addition, LTD may underlie the cognitive effects of acute stress, the addictive potential of some drugs of abuse and the elimination of synapses in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Huang G, Woolley C. Estradiol acutely suppresses inhibition in the hippocampus through a sex-specific endocannabinoid and mGluR-dependent mechanism. Neuron. 2012;74:801-8 pubmed publisher..Acute E2 modulation of endocannabinoid tone and consequent suppression of inhibition provide a mechanism by which neurosteroid E2 could modulate hippocampus-dependent behaviors in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Vianna M, Izquierdo L, Barros D, de Souza M, Rodrigues C, Sant Anna M, et al. Pharmacological differences between memory consolidation of habituation to an open field and inhibitory avoidance learning. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2001;34:233-40 pubmed..In view of the known actions of the treatments used, the present findings point to important biochemical differences in memory consolidation processes of the two tasks. ..
- Chen Y, Holmes A. Effects of topiramate and other anti-glutamatergic drugs on the acute intoxicating actions of ethanol in mice: modulation by genetic strain and stress. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009;34:1454-66 pubmed publisher..These findings raise the possibility that topiramate and possibly other anti-glutamatergic drugs could promote the acute intoxicating effects of ethanol in specific subpopulations defined by genetics or life history...
- Artinian J, Peret A, Marti G, Epsztein J, Crepel V. Synaptic kainate receptors in interplay with INaP shift the sparse firing of dentate granule cells to a sustained rhythmic mode in temporal lobe epilepsy. J Neurosci. 2011;31:10811-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that synaptic kainate receptors dramatically alter the fundamental coding properties of dentate granule cells in temporal lobe epilepsy. ..
- Yang S, Megill A, Ardiles A, Ransom S, Tran T, Koh M, et al. Integrity of mGluR-LTD in the associative/commissural inputs to CA3 correlates with successful aging in rats. J Neurosci. 2013;33:12670-8 pubmed publisher..Age-unimpaired rats, in contrast, had intact mGluR LTD. These findings indicate that the integrity of mGluR-LTD at A/C ? CA3 inputs may play a crucial role in maintaining the performance of CA3 circuitry in aging. ..
- Choi K, Wykes T, Kurtz M. Adjunctive pharmacotherapy for cognitive deficits in schizophrenia: meta-analytical investigation of efficacy. Br J Psychiatry. 2013;203:172-8 pubmed publisher..Cholinergic and glutamatergic agents improved negative and general symptoms, whereas serotenergic medications improved positive symptoms. ..
- Villarejo Rodríguez I, Vale Martínez A, Guillazo Blanch G, Martí Nicolovius M. D-cycloserine in prelimbic cortex enhances relearning of an odor-reward associative task. Behav Brain Res. 2010;213:113-6 pubmed publisher..Rats infused with DCS (10 microg/site) prior to training exhibited a significant enhancement of performance in such odor-reward task, especially in relearning. ..
- Papanastasiou E, Stone J, Shergill S. When the drugs don't work: the potential of glutamatergic antipsychotics in schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry. 2013;202:91-3 pubmed publisher..Here we summarise the rationale and recent evidence supporting efforts to develop glutamatergic antipsychotic drugs. ..
- Menniti F, Lindsley C, Conn P, Pandit J, Zagouras P, Volkmann R. Allosteric modulators for the treatment of schizophrenia: targeting glutamatergic networks. Curr Top Med Chem. 2013;13:26-54 pubmed..Nonetheless, important compounds have emerged from these efforts and promising preclinical and variable clinical validation has been achieved. ..
- Gazarini L, Stern C, Piornedo R, Takahashi R, Bertoglio L. PTSD-like memory generated through enhanced noradrenergic activity is mitigated by a dual step pharmacological intervention targeting its reconsolidation. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol. 2014;18: pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the effectiveness of a dual-step pharmacological intervention to mitigate an aberrant and enduring aversive memory similar to that underlying the post-traumatic stress disorder. ..
- Acevedo J, Santana Almansa A, Matos Vergara N, Marrero Cordero L, Cabezas Bou E, DÃaz RÃos M. Caffeine stimulates locomotor activity in the mammalian spinal cord via adenosine A1 receptor-dopamine D1 receptor interaction and PKA-dependent mechanisms. Neuropharmacology. 2016;101:490-505 pubmed publisher
- Li C, Yu W, Zheng Y. [Effects of microinjection of amino acids into pre-Bötzinger complex on respiration in adult rats]. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2000;52:333-7 pubmed..These results suggest that the pre-Bötzinger complex in adult rats plays an important role in neurogenesis and maintenance of rhythmic respiration. ..
- Samland H, Huitron Resendiz S, Masliah E, Criado J, Henriksen S, Campbell I. Profound increase in sensitivity to glutamatergic- but not cholinergic agonist-induced seizures in transgenic mice with astrocyte production of IL-6. J Neurosci Res. 2003;73:176-87 pubmed
- Mendiguren A, Pineda J. CB(1) cannabinoid receptors inhibit the glutamatergic component of KCl-evoked excitation of locus coeruleus neurons in rat brain slices. Neuropharmacology. 2007;52:617-25 pubmed..In conclusion, GABAergic and glutamatergic components are both involved in KCl-evoked excitation of LC neurons, although CB(1) receptors only seem to inhibit the glutamatergic component of KCl effect in the locus coeruleus. ..
- Long C, Yang L, Faingold C, Steven Evans M. Excitatory amino acid receptor-mediated responses in periaqueductal gray neurons are increased during ethanol withdrawal. Neuropharmacology. 2007;52:802-11 pubmed..This dichotomy may be related to the different role played by IC and PAG in the ETX seizure network. ..
- Li Q, Kuhn C, Wilson W, Lewis D. Effects of gamma hydroxybutyric acid on inhibition and excitation in rat neocortex. Neuroscience. 2007;150:82-92 pubmed..The suppression of NMDA more than AMPA responses by GHB at intoxicating doses may make it attractive as a recreational drug and may explain why GHB is abused and baclofen is not...
- Oliveira J, Krügel U, Köles L, Illes P, Wirkner K. Blockade of glutamate transporters leads to potentiation of NMDA receptor current in layer V pyramidal neurons of the rat prefrontal cortex via group II metabotropic glutamate receptor activation. Neuropharmacology. 2008;55:447-53 pubmed publisher..Either group of mGluRs may interact with NMDA receptors in a positive manner. ..
- Kuzmiski J, Pittman Q, Bains J. Metaplasticity of hypothalamic synapses following in vivo challenge. Neuron. 2009;62:839-49 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that noradrenaline controls a form of metaplasticity that may underlie the resetting of homeostatic networks following a successful response to an acute physiological challenge. ..
- Huang C, Hsu K. Activation of muscarinic acetylcholine receptors induces a nitric oxide-dependent long-term depression in rat medial prefrontal cortex. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:982-96 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that activation of M(1) mAChRs can induce LTD on mPFC layer V pyramidal neurons through the activation of postsynaptic PLC/PKC/IP(3) receptor- and subsequently presynaptic NO/sGC/PKG-dependent signaling processes. ..
- Burdick K, Gopin C, Malhotra A. Pharmacogenetic approaches to cognitive enhancement in schizophrenia. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2011;19:102-8 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the potential use of cognition as a primary outcome measure of interest in future pharmacogenetic trials of schizophrenia. ..
- D Amore D, Tracy B, Parikh V. Exogenous BDNF facilitates strategy set-shifting by modulating glutamate dynamics in the dorsal striatum. Neuropharmacology. 2013;75:312-23 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that activation of BDNF-trkB signaling in the dorsal striatum improves strategy switching by effectively minimizing response conflicts, and this effect primarily involves facilitation of glutamatergic transmission. ..
- Kono Y, Shigetomi E, Inoue K, Kato F. Facilitation of spontaneous glycine release by anoxia potentiates NMDA receptor current in the hypoglossal motor neurons of the rat. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;25:1748-56 pubmed..These data suggest that increase in synaptically released glycine in response to metabolic stress may play an exacerbating role in NMDA receptor-mediated excitotoxicity in motor neurons. ..
- Moschovos C, Kostopoulos G, Papatheodoropoulos C. Long-term potentiation of high-frequency oscillation and synaptic transmission characterize in vitro NMDA receptor-dependent epileptogenesis in the hippocampus. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;29:368-80 pubmed
- Hollander E. Rare metabolic syndromes, a vascular hypotheses of Alzheimer's disease, and drug developments for attention and trauma. CNS Spectr. 2008;13:548-9 pubmed
- Sullivan M, Chen H, Morikawa H. Recurrent inhibitory network among striatal cholinergic interneurons. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8682-90 pubmed publisher..This may provide a mechanism to convert activation of cholinergic interneurons into widespread recurrent inhibition of these neurons via nicotinic excitation of striatal GABAergic neurons. ..
- Nardou R, Ben Ari Y, Khalilov I. Bumetanide, an NKCC1 antagonist, does not prevent formation of epileptogenic focus but blocks epileptic focus seizures in immature rat hippocampus. J Neurophysiol. 2009;101:2878-88 pubmed publisher..We suggest that an additional mechanism other than NKCC1-mediated contributes to the persistent increase of DF(GABA) in epileptic neurons. ..
- Penzo M, Pena J. Endocannabinoid-mediated long-term depression in the avian midbrain expressed presynaptically and postsynaptically. J Neurosci. 2009;29:4131-9 pubmed publisher..Both the presynaptic and the postsynaptic effects depend on CB1R activation. The reduction of postsynaptic NMDAR currents represents a novel role of endocannabinoids in synaptic modulation. ..
- Zarate C, Machado Vieira R, Henter I, Ibrahim L, Diazgranados N, Salvadore G. Glutamatergic modulators: the future of treating mood disorders?. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2010;18:293-303 pubmed publisher..Overall, this system holds considerable promise for developing the next generation of novel therapeutics for the treatment of bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. ..