Genomes and Genes
parathyroid hormone related protein
Summary: A ubiquitously expressed, secreted protein with bone resorption and renal calcium reabsorption activities that are similar to PARATHYROID HORMONE. It does not circulate in appreciable amounts in normal subjects, but rather exerts its biological actions locally. Overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein by tumor cells results in humoral calcemia of malignancy.
- Rehan V, Dargan Batra S, Wang Y, Cerny L, Sakurai R, Santos J, et al. A paradoxical temporal response of the PTHrP/PPARgamma signaling pathway to lipopolysaccharide in an in vitro model of the developing rat lung. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;293:L182-90 pubmed
- Rehan V, Sakurai R, Wang Y, Santos J, Huynh K, Torday J. Reversal of nicotine-induced alveolar lipofibroblast-to-myofibroblast transdifferentiation by stimulants of parathyroid hormone-related protein signaling. Lung. 2007;185:151-9 pubmed
- Ng A, Yang Y, Wong R, Hägg E, Rabie A. Factors regulating condylar cartilage growth under repeated load application. Front Biosci. 2006;11:949-54 pubmed..In conclusions, repeated mechanical loading on the condyle triggers the expression of PTHrP and SOX9, which in turn promotes condylar cartilage growth...
- Tfelt Hansen J, Yano S, John Macleod R, Smajilovic S, Chattopadhyay N, Brown E. High calcium activates the EGF receptor potentially through the calcium-sensing receptor in Leydig cancer cells. Growth Factors. 2005;23:117-23 pubmed..In conclusion, the calcium activates the EGFR, possibly through the CaR, to regulate downstream signaling events and important biological functions in a model of HHM. ..
- Richard V, Nadella M, Green P, Lairmore M, Feuer G, Foley J, et al. Transcriptional regulation of parathyroid hormone-related protein promoter P3 by ETS-1 in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Leukemia. 2005;19:1175-83 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that transcriptional regulation of PTHrP in ATLL cells can be controlled by T-cell receptor signaling and the ETS and MAPK ERK pathway in a Tax-independent manner. ..
- Fiaschi Taesch N, Stewart A. Minireview: parathyroid hormone-related protein as an intracrine factor--trafficking mechanisms and functional consequences. Endocrinology. 2003;144:407-11 pubmed..This review discusses the mechanisms by which PTHrP may gain access to the nucleus/nucleolus and the functional consequences of this nuclear entry by PTHrP. ..
- Fujinaka Y, Sipula D, Garcia Ocana A, Vasavada R. Characterization of mice doubly transgenic for parathyroid hormone-related protein and murine placental lactogen: a novel role for placental lactogen in pancreatic beta-cell survival. Diabetes. 2004;53:3120-30 pubmed..Placental lactogen 1 is an attractive target for future therapeutic strategies in diabetes. ..
- Yano S, Macleod R, Chattopadhyay N, Tfelt Hansen J, Kifor O, Butters R, et al. Calcium-sensing receptor activation stimulates parathyroid hormone-related protein secretion in prostate cancer cells: role of epidermal growth factor receptor transactivation. Bone. 2004;35:664-72 pubmed..This transactivation is most likely mediated by activation of MMP and cleavage of proheparin-binding EGF (proHB-EGF) to HB-EGF. ..
- Tfelt Hansen J, Chattopadhyay N, Yano S, Kanuparthi D, Rooney P, Schwarz P, et al. Calcium-sensing receptor induces proliferation through p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase but not extracellularly regulated kinase in a model of humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy. Endocrinology. 2004;145:1211-7 pubmed..These effects are likely direct without the involvement of PTHrP in an autocrine mode. ..
- Sato K, Onuma E, Yocum R, Ogata E. Treatment of malignancy-associated hypercalcemia and cachexia with humanized anti-parathyroid hormone-related protein antibody. Semin Oncol. 2003;30:167-73 pubmed..These results suggest that the humanized antibody would be an effective and beneficial agent for patients with HHM, and that PTHrP is a major pathogenetic factor of hypercalcemia and cachexia in patients with HHM. ..
- Zhang B, Hosaka M, Sawada Y, Torii S, Mizutani S, Ogata M, et al. Parathyroid hormone-related protein induces insulin expression through activation of MAP kinase-specific phosphatase-1 that dephosphorylates c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase in pancreatic beta-cells. Diabetes. 2003;52:2720-30 pubmed..The phosphorylated form of c-jun is known to repress cAMP-dependent insulin gene promoter activity. Thus, MKP-1 controls the insulin expression by downregulating a JNK/c-jun pathway. ..