Genomes and Genes
nucleic acid synthesis inhibitors
Summary: Compounds that inhibit cell production of DNA or RNA.
- Roh J, Lee Y, Park C. Can mitomycin C really prevent airway stenosis?. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:440-5 pubmed..036). There was a significant risk of acute airway obstruction from delayed wound healing in rabbits that received subglottic laser wounding and MMC treatment. This risk should be considered in the use of MMC in clinical practice. ..
- Vrouwe M, Elghalbzouri Maghrani E, Meijers M, Schouten P, Godthelp B, Bhuiyan Z, et al. Increased DNA damage sensitivity of Cornelia de Lange syndrome cells: evidence for impaired recombinational repair. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:1478-87 pubmed..Repair at the G(1) stage is not affected in CdLS cells. Our studies indicate that CdLS cells have a reduced capacity to tolerate DNA damage, presumably as a result of reduced DNA repair through homologous recombination. ..
- Koshkareva Y, Gaughan J, Soliman A. Risk factors for adult laryngotracheal stenosis: a review of 74 cases. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2007;116:206-10 pubmed..We sought to identify risk factors for and review our experience in the management of adult acquired laryngotracheal stenosis (LTS) at an academic urban medical center...
- Bisson Boutelliez C, Massin F, Dumas D, Miller N, Lozniewski A. Desulfovibrio spp. survive within KB cells and modulate inflammatory responses. Mol Oral Microbiol. 2010;25:226-35 pubmed publisher..The ability of D. desulfuricans and D. fairfieldensis to survive within oral epithelial cells and to modulate the epithelial immune response may contribute to the initiation and progression of periodontal diseases. ..
- Lam Y, Evans V, Heesom K, Lamond A, Matthews D. Proteomics analysis of the nucleolus in adenovirus-infected cells. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010;9:117-30 pubmed publisher..Comparing our data with the effects of actinomycin D on the nucleolar proteome revealed that adenovirus infection apparently specifically targets a relatively small subset of nucleolar antigens at the time point examined. ..
- Reers C, Hauge Evans A, Morgan N, Wilcox A, Persaud S, Jones P. Down-regulation of proliferation does not affect the secretory function of transformed ?-cell lines regardless of their anatomical configuration. Islets. 2011;3:80-8 pubmed..These results have implications for future studies of islet cell redifferentiation and for the generation of islet-like material for transplantation therapy in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- Egyed M, Kollár B, Rajnics P, Karádi E, Matolcsi A. [Imatinib therapy in chronic myeloid leukemia]. Orv Hetil. 2008;149:1509-12 pubmed publisher..Hydroxyurea might have some effect on the rapid and deep cytogenetic and molecular responses, observed in the primary imatinib-treated group. ..
- Shimizu K, Kinouchi Shimizu N, Asai T, Tsukada H, Oku N. Enhanced experimental tumor metastasis with age in senescence-accelerated mouse. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:847-51 pubmed..The present study demonstrated that the aging process produced a susceptible environment allowing the tumor cells to metastasize due to decrease in the host immune surveillance potential with age. ..
- Norikura T, Kojima Yuasa A, Shimizu M, Huang X, Xu S, Kametani S, et al. Mechanism of growth inhibitory effect of Blumea balsamifera extract in hepatocellular carcinoma. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:1183-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that BME has possible therapeutic potential in hepatoma cancer patients and that depletion of cellular APRIL is an important mechanism in the growth-inhibitory effect of BME. ..
- Lu J, Langer R, Chen J. A novel mechanism is involved in cationic lipid-mediated functional siRNA delivery. Mol Pharm. 2009;6:763-71 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest possible directions for improving functional siRNA delivery by cationic lipids. ..
- Hua J, Iwaki Y, Inoue M, Hagihara M. Tumor lysis syndrome soon after treatment with hydroxyurea followed by nilotinib in two patients with chronic-phase chronic myelogenous leukemia. Int J Hematol. 2013;98:243-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, caution is necessary when this drug is used in the first-line setting in patients with renal insufficiency or a high tumor burden. ..
- Rovinskiy N, Agbleke A, Chesnokova O, Pang Z, Higgins N. Rates of gyrase supercoiling and transcription elongation control supercoil density in a bacterial chromosome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002845 pubmed publisher..The observed link between RNA polymerase elongation speed and gyrase turnover suggests that bacteria with fast growth rates may generate higher supercoil densities than slow growing species...
- Rocha J, Korolchuk V, Robinson I, O Kane C. A phagocytic route for uptake of double-stranded RNA in RNAi. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19087 pubmed publisher..We could separate this phagocytic uptake route from that for RNAi induced by naked dsRNA. Therefore, phagocytic uptake of dsRNA offers a potential route for systemic spread of RNAi. ..
- Huang F, Mei W, Tan G, Dai H, Li Y, Guo J, et al. Cytochalasin D promotes pulmonary metastasis of B16 melanoma through expression of tissue factor. Oncol Rep. 2013;30:478-84 pubmed publisher..TF interference is a potential approach to the prevention of B16 melanoma metastasis. ..
- Liu L, Sui T, Hong X, Wu X, Cao X. Inhibition of epidural fibrosis after microendoscopic discectomy with topical application of mitomycin C: a randomized, controlled, double-blind trial. J Neurosurg Spine. 2013;18:421-7 pubmed publisher..Although no benefit was observed clinically, the authors observed a notable reduction of epidural fibrosis after MED radiologically, with 0.5 mg/ml MMC locally applied and no clinical side effects. ..
- Sandhya P, Danda D, Mathew J, Kurian S, Ramakrishna B. Eosinophilic esophagitis and pharyngitis presenting as mass lesion in a patient with inactive rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2012;18:33-5 pubmed publisher..There are few reports of tissue eosinophilia in association with RA, but the pathogenesis and any definite association with RA are not clear. ..
- Dar O, Khan M, Adagu I. The potential use of methotrexate in the treatment of falciparum malaria: in vitro assays against sensitive and multidrug-resistant falciparum strains. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2008;61:210-1 pubmed..This, along with the practical advantages of methotrexate, warrants the clinical investigation of methotrexate in human cases of falciparum malaria. ..
- Kitagawa Y, Zhou M, Yamaguchi M, Komatsu T, Takeuchi K, Itoh M, et al. Human metapneumovirus M2-2 protein inhibits viral transcription and replication. Microbes Infect. 2010;12:135-45 pubmed publisher..Prior accumulation of intracellular M2-2 protein severely restrained HMPV from replicating. Thus inherent viral control of the M2-2 gene expression in infected cells seems to be essential for efficient HMPV replication. ..
- Grzesiuk E. Transcription of bacteriophage PM2. J Gen Virol. 1983;64 (Pt 10):2295-8 pubmed..This transcription was chloramphenicol- and rifampicin-sensitive. Regions of PM2 DNA transcribed with high efficiency were determined by DNA--RNA hybridization and Southern's technique...
- Kang Y, Lee J, Hoan N, Sohn H, Chang I, You H. Protein phosphatase 5 regulates the function of 53BP1 after neocarzinostatin-induced DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9845-53 pubmed publisher..Moreover, non-homologous end-joining activity was reduced in PP5-overexpressing U2OS cells. These findings indicate that PP5 plays an important role in the regulation of 53BP1 phosphorylation and activity in vivo. ..
- Van Itallie C, Fanning A, Bridges A, Anderson J. ZO-1 stabilizes the tight junction solute barrier through coupling to the perijunctional cytoskeleton. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3930-40 pubmed publisher..These studies are the first direct evidence that ZO-1 limits solute permeability in established tight junctions, perhaps by forming a stabilizing link between the barrier and perijunctional actomyosin. ..
- Vidhyavathi R, Venkatachalam L, Sarada R, Ravishankar G. Regulation of carotenoid biosynthetic genes expression and carotenoid accumulation in the green alga Haematococcus pluvialis under nutrient stress conditions. J Exp Bot. 2008;59:1409-18 pubmed publisher..The induction of general carotenoid synthesis genes was independent of cytoplasmic protein synthesis while BKT gene expression was dependent on de novo protein synthesis. ..
- Moura M, de Sousa R, de Oliveira Leme L, Rumpf R. Analysis of actinomycin D treated cattle oocytes and their use for somatic cell nuclear transfer. Anim Reprod Sci. 2008;109:40-9 pubmed..3 compared with 13.0%). Actinomycin D treatment was efficient in blocking embryonic development. Moreover, it was possible to obtain reconstructed embryos that possess an apoptotic cell index indistinguishable from controls. ..
- Cushnie T, O Driscoll N, Lamb A. Morphological and ultrastructural changes in bacterial cells as an indicator of antibacterial mechanism of action. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016;73:4471-4492 pubmed..g. filamentation by DNA synthesis inhibitors, FtsZ disruptors, and other types of agent) can still yield useful mechanistic information. Lastly, recommendations are made regarding future study design and execution. ..
- Guarino G, Spampinato S. Nandrolone decreases mu opioid receptor expression in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. Neuroreport. 2008;19:1131-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that nandrolone may regulate MOPr expression through posttranscriptional mechanisms requiring the androgen receptor. ..
- Kim M, Song K, Jin E, Sonn J. Staurosporine and cytochalasin D induce chondrogenesis by regulation of actin dynamics in different way. Exp Mol Med. 2012;44:521-8 pubmed..These results suggest that staurosporine and cytochalasin D employ different mechanisms for the regulation of actin dynamics and provide evidence that removal of actin stress fibers is crucial for the chondrogenic differentiation. ..
- Paronetto M, Bianchi E, Geremia R, Sette C. Dynamic expression of the RNA-binding protein Sam68 during mouse pre-implantation development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:311-22 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Sam68 is involved in translational regulation of maternal mRNAs in the zygote and in the early signaling events triggered by fertilization. ..
- Zheng J, Shan Y, Lambrecht R, Donohue S, Bonkovsky H. Differential regulation of human ALAS1 mRNA and protein levels by heme and cobalt protoporphyrin. Mol Cell Biochem. 2008;319:153-61 pubmed publisher..These results provide novel insights into the mechanisms of heme repressional effects on ALAS1 and provide a rationale for further investigation of CoPP as a therapeutic agent for acute porphyric syndromes. ..
- Lee M, Lin H, Liu C, Wu M, Liao W, Chang H, et al. Octylphenol stimulates resistin gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes via the estrogen receptor and extracellular signal-regulated kinase pathways. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2008;294:C1542-51 pubmed publisher..In vivo, octylphenol increased adipose resistin mRNA expression and serum resistin and glucose levels, supporting its in vitro effect. ..
- El Boustany C, Katsogiannou M, Delcourt P, Dewailly E, Prevarskaya N, Borowiec A, et al. Differential roles of STIM1, STIM2 and Orai1 in the control of cell proliferation and SOCE amplitude in HEK293 cells. Cell Calcium. 2010;47:350-9 pubmed publisher..These observations reveal a tight relation between cell proliferation, calcium entry and Orai1 expression in HEK293 cells. ..
- Li G, He S, Chang L, Lu H, Zhang H, Zhang H, et al. GADD45? and annexin A1 are involved in the apoptosis of HL-60 induced by resveratrol. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:704-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, resveratrol markedly increased caspase-3 activity in cells. Our results suggest that resveratrol could inhibit the proliferation and induce apoptosis of HL-60 cells through a GADD45? and annexin A1/caspase-3 pathway. ..
- Gopisetty G, Xu J, Sampath D, Colman H, Puduvalli V. Epigenetic regulation of CD133/PROM1 expression in glioma stem cells by Sp1/myc and promoter methylation. Oncogene. 2013;32:3119-29 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Sp1 and Myc regulate CD133 transcription in GSC and that promoter methylation and methyl-DNA-binding proteins cause repression of CD133 by excluding transcription-factor binding. ..
- Xu X. Nuclear hypersegmentation of neutrophils, eosinophils, and basophils due to hydroxycarbamide (hydroxyurea). Blood. 2014;124:1392 pubmed
- Zaman R, Ettenger R, Cheam H, Malekzadeh M, Tsai E. A novel treatment regimen for BK viremia. Transplantation. 2014;97:1166-71 pubmed publisher..001). This approach resulted in a BKVN rate of only 1%. This analysis demonstrates for the first time that, used in a stepwise fashion, ciprofloxacin and leflunomide are effective and safe treatments for BK viremia in PRTR. ..
- Wang Y, Ren J, Xia K, Wang S, Yin T, Xie D, et al. Effect of mitomycin on normal dermal fibroblast and HaCat cell: an in vitro study. J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2012;13:997-1005 pubmed publisher..In addition, mitomycin can inhibit HaCat cell proliferation, so epithelial cell needs more protecting to avoid mitomycin's side effect when it is applied clinically. ..
- Hehnly H, Xu W, Chen J, Stamnes M. Cdc42 regulates microtubule-dependent Golgi positioning. Traffic. 2010;11:1067-78 pubmed publisher..Together, our results reveal that dynein and microtubule-dependent Golgi positioning is regulated by ARF1-, coatomer-, and ARHGAP21-dependent Cdc42 signaling. ..
- Ho C, Li H. DNA damage during mitosis invokes a JNK-mediated stress response that leads to cell death. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:725-31 pubmed publisher..In the mean time, remaining checkpoint signals may be sufficient to put a restraining hand on entry into anaphase and the cell eventually dies in mitosis. ..
- Shah S, Das B, Bhadra R. Functional analysis of the essential GTP-binding-protein-coding gene cgtA of Vibrio cholerae. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:4764-71 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of V. cholerae CgtA caused distinct elongation of Escherichia coli cells. Deletion analysis indicated that the C-terminal end of CgtA plays a critical role in its proper function...
- Hsu W, Erickson S, Tsai H, Andrews C, Vas A, Clarke D. S-phase cyclin-dependent kinases promote sister chromatid cohesion in budding yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2470-83 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that Clb5 and Clb6 promote cohesion which is then protected by Pds1 and that both mechanisms are required during replication stress...
- Zungu I, Mbene A, Hawkins Evans D, Houreld N, Abrahamse H. Phototherapy promotes cell migration in the presence of hydroxyurea. Lasers Med Sci. 2009;24:144-50 pubmed publisher..This study showed that laser irradiation using an He-Ne laser with a fluence of 5 J/cm(2) stimulates cell viability. The HU results confirmed that laser irradiation promotes cell migration and proliferation. ..
- Kumar S, Gautam S, Sharma A. Antimutagenic and antioxidant properties of plumbagin and other naphthoquinones. Mutat Res. 2013;755:30-41 pubmed publisher..coli single-gene knockouts showed that ybaK and speE, reported to prevent mistranslation, are likely to be involved in the antimutagenicity displayed by juglone, and sodC to be involved in the antioxidant activity of menadione. ..
- Otsuguro K, Tang J, Tang Y, Xiao R, Freichel M, Tsvilovskyy V, et al. Isoform-specific inhibition of TRPC4 channel by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:10026-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, TRPC4 channels integrate a variety of G-protein-dependent stimuli, including a PIP(2)/cytoskeleton dependence reminiscent of the TRPC4-like muscarinic agonist-activated cation channels in ileal myocytes. ..
- Shah N, Zambidis E. False-photosensitivity and transient hemiparesis following high-dose intravenous and intrathecal methotrexate for treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2009;53:103-5 pubmed publisher..The etiology of these events is obscure, but suggestive of a vasculitic or immune-mediated reaction to methotrexate. ..
- Cao Z, Julin D. Characterization in vitro and in vivo of the DNA helicase encoded by Deinococcus radiodurans locus DR1572. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:612-9 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that locus DR1572 encodes a complete protein that contributes to DNA metabolism in D. radiodurans. ..
- Jadhav V, Thakare V, Suralkar A, Deshpande A, Naik S. Hepatoprotective activity of Luffa acutangula against CCl4 and rifampicin induced liver toxicity in rats: a biochemical and histopathological evaluation. Indian J Exp Biol. 2010;48:822-9 pubmed..Results of this study demonstrated that endogenous antioxidants and inhibition of lipid peroxidation of membrane contribute to hepatoprotective activity of HAELA...
- Bianco J, Poli J, Saksouk J, Bacal J, Silva M, Yoshida K, et al. Analysis of DNA replication profiles in budding yeast and mammalian cells using DNA combing. Methods. 2012;57:149-57 pubmed publisher..We also show that 5-ethynyl-2'-deoxyuridine (EdU) can be used as a good alternative to BrdU for DNA combing analysis, as unlike halogenated nucleotides, it can be detected without prior denaturation of DNA. ..