Genomes and Genes
Summary: Discrete protein structural units that may fold independently of the rest of the protein and have their own functions.
Publications116 found, 100 shown here
- Wang C, Pallan P, Zhang W, Lei L, Yoshimoto F, Waterman M, et al. Functional analysis of human cytochrome P450 21A2 variants involved in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10767-10778 pubmed publisher..Our in-depth investigation of CAH-associated P450 21A2 variants reveals critical insight into the effects of disease-causing mutations on this important enzyme. ..
- Su K, Xu T, Yu Z, Zhu J, Zhang Y, Wu M, et al. Structure of the PX domain of SNX25 reveals a novel phospholipid recognition model by dimerization in the PX domain. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:2011-2018 pubmed publisher..We also present the crystal structure of zSNX25-PX. Combined with biochemical experiments, we further identify a potential PI3P-binding region and propose a novel PI-binding model based on dimerization in the PX domain of SNXs. ..
- Wan X, Saito J, Newhouse J, Hou S, Alam M. The importance of conserved amino acids in heme-based globin-coupled diguanylate cyclases. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182782 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the distal residues of the globin domain affect diguanylate cyclase activity and that BpeGReg may interact with other c-di-GMP-metabolizing proteins to form mixed signaling teams. ..
- Kudo A. Introductory review: periostin-gene and protein structure. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4259-4268 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this understanding would enhance our knowledge of novel functions of periostin related to stemness and response to mechanical stress. ..
- Chavda B, Ling J, Majernick T, Planey S. Antiproliferative factor (APF) binds specifically to sites within the cytoskeleton-associated protein 4 (CKAP4) extracellular domain. BMC Biochem. 2017;18:13 pubmed publisher..Further, these data have revealed novel APF binding site(s) suggesting that targeting this region of CKAP4 to inhibit APF binding may be a useful strategy for treating IC-related bladder pathology. ..
- Miles L, Dworkin S, Darido C. Alternative splicing and start sites: Lessons from the Grainyhead-like family. Dev Biol. 2017;429:12-19 pubmed publisher..It also contrasts and compares the available literature on the function and importance of the Grhl isoforms, and highlights current gaps in our understanding of their regulatory gene networks in development and disease. ..
- Li Y, Naveen V, Lin M, Hsiao C. Structural analyses of the bacterial primosomal protein DnaB reveal that it is a tetramer and forms a complex with a primosomal re-initiation protein. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15744-15757 pubmed publisher..These findings can further extend our understanding of primosomal assembly in replication restart. ..
- Husain M, Ishqi H, Sarwar T, Rehman S, Tabish M. Identification and expression analysis of alternatively spliced new transcript isoform of Bax gene in mouse. Gene. 2017;621:21-31 pubmed publisher..The three dimensional structure was generated by homology modelling to visualize the differences at N termini of known and newly identified variant. ..
- Pontejo S, Murphy P. Two glycosaminoglycan-binding domains of the mouse cytomegalovirus-encoded chemokine MCK-2 are critical for oligomerization of the full-length protein. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9613-9626 pubmed publisher..Thus, MCK-2 is an atypical viral chemokine consisting of a CC chemokine domain and a unique non-chemokine domain, both of which bind GAGs and are critical for GAG-dependent oligomerization of the full-length protein. ..
- Schumacher M, Zeng W, Findlay K, Buttner M, Brennan R, Tschowri N. The Streptomyces master regulator BldD binds c-di-GMP sequentially to create a functional BldD2-(c-di-GMP)4 complex. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:6923-6933 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that c-di-GMP binds BldD using an ordered, sequential mechanism and that BldD function necessitates the assembly of the BldD2-(c-di-GMP)4 complex. ..
- Jost C, Stüber J, Honegger A, Wu Y, Batyuk A, Plückthun A. Rigidity of the extracellular part of HER2: Evidence from engineering subdomain interfaces and shared-helix DARPin-DARPin fusions. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1796-1806 pubmed publisher..Combining our approaches, we exclude, on live cells and in vitro, that significant proportions of HER2 deviate from the "open" conformation. ..
- Lek M, Cruz S, Ibe N, Beck W, Bielicki J, Weers P, et al. Swapping the N- and C-terminal domains of human apolipoprotein E3 and AI reveals insights into their structure/activity relationship. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178346 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that the functional attributes of apoAI and apoE3 can be conferred on each other and that NT-CT domain interactions significantly modulate their structure and function. ..
- Gonzalez G, Durica Mitic S, Hardwick S, Moncrieffe M, Resch M, Neumann P, et al. Structural insights into RapZ-mediated regulation of bacterial amino-sugar metabolism. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:10845-10860 pubmed publisher..We discuss a scenario for the molecular evolution of RapZ through re-purpose of enzyme components from central metabolism. ..
- Borschel W, Wang S, Lee S, Nichols C. Control of Kir channel gating by cytoplasmic domain interface interactions. J Gen Physiol. 2017;149:561-576 pubmed publisher..2 partially rescues inactivating mutants from the phenotype. These results indicate that the stability of the intersubunit CD-I is a major determinant of the inactivation process in Kir6.2 and may control gating in other Kir channels. ..
- Liu K, Rehfus J, Mattson E, Kaiser C. The ribosome destabilizes native and non-native structures in a nascent multidomain protein. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1439-1451 pubmed publisher..The ribosome may thus directly contribute to efficient folding by modulating the folding of nascent multidomain proteins...
- Lee S, Kim K, Kim H, Choi I. Crystal structure analysis of 3,6-anhydro-l-galactonate cycloisomerase suggests emergence of novel substrate specificity in the enolase superfamily. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:217-222 pubmed publisher..The structural phylogenetic analysis of the enolase superfamily including ACIs revealed sequential, structural, and functional relationships related to the emergence of novel substrate specificity. ..
- Yao L, Wang S, Westholm J, Dai Q, Matsuda R, Hosono C, et al. Genome-wide identification of Grainy head targets in Drosophila reveals regulatory interactions with the POU domain transcription factor Vvl. Development. 2017;144:3145-3155 pubmed publisher..Vvl and Grh proteins additionally interact with each other and regulate a set of common enhancers during epithelial morphogenesis. We conclude that Grh and Vvl participate in a regulatory network controlling epithelial maturation. ..
- Williams J, Shcherbakov A, Wang J, Hong M. Protonation equilibria and pore-opening structure of the dual-histidine influenza B virus M2 transmembrane proton channel from solid-state NMR. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17876-17884 pubmed publisher..These results give insights into the lack of amantadine inhibition of BM2 and reveal structural diversities in this family of viral proton channels. ..
- Cheal Yoo J, Park N, Lee B, Nashed A, Lee Y, Hwan Kim T, et al. 14-3-3? regulates Copine1-mediated neuronal differentiation in HiB5 hippocampal progenitor cells. Exp Cell Res. 2017;356:85-92 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that 14-3-3? regulates the differentiation ability of CPNE1 through the binding with C2A domain of CPNE1 in HiB5 cells. ..
- Zhang H, Qiao A, Yang D, Yang L, Dai A, de Graaf C, et al. Structure of the full-length glucagon class B G-protein-coupled receptor. Nature. 2017;546:259-264 pubmed publisher..These insights into the full-length GCGR structure deepen our understanding of the signalling mechanisms of class B G-protein-coupled receptors. ..
- Tao R, Zhao Y, Chu H, Wang A, Zhu J, Chen X, et al. Genetically encoded fluorescent sensors reveal dynamic regulation of NADPH metabolism. Nat Methods. 2017;14:720-728 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that the iNap sensors will be valuable tools for monitoring NADPH dynamics in live cells and gaining new insights into cell metabolism. ..
- Bandyopadhyay U, Chadha A, Gupta P, Tiwari B, Bhattacharyya K, Popli S, et al. Suppression of Toll-like receptor 2-mediated proinflammatory responses by Mycobacterium tuberculosis protein Rv3529c. J Leukoc Biol. 2017;102:1249-1259 pubmed publisher..The data presented show another strategy evolved by M. tuberculosis toward immune evasion that centers on incorporating sequences in proteins that are similar to crucial proteins in the innate immune system of the host. ..
- Harrison A, Shorter J. RNA-binding proteins with prion-like domains in health and disease. Biochem J. 2017;474:1417-1438 pubmed publisher..We also highlight the potential of protein disaggregases, including Hsp104, as a therapeutic strategy to combat the aberrant phase transitions of RBPs with PrLDs that likely underpin neurodegeneration. ..
- Wang Q, Xue H, Li S, Chen Y, Tian X, Xu X, et al. A method for labeling proteins with tags at the native genomic loci in budding yeast. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176184 pubmed publisher..Three fluorescent protein tag (mCherry, sfGFP, and mKikGR) and two epitope tag (HA and 3×FLAG) constructs were developed and utilized to tag HHT1, UBC13 or RAD5 at the chromosomal locus as proof-of-concept. ..
- Muñoz Escobar J, Kozlov G, Gehring K. Crystal structure of the UBR-box from UBR6/FBXO11 reveals domain swapping mediated by zinc binding. Protein Sci. 2017;26:2092-2097 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the structure suggests that the absence of N-terminal residue binding arises from the lack of an amino acid binding pocket. ..
- Liao L, Zheng B, Yi B, Liu C, Chen L, Zeng Z, et al. Annexin A2-modulated proliferation of pulmonary arterial smooth muscle cells depends on caveolae and caveolin-1 in hepatopulmonary syndrome. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:266-274 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that caveolae function as a signaling platform for ANXA2-induced proliferative behavior and Cav-1 participates upstream of ANXA2 in the activation of ERK1/2 and NF-?B. ..
- Ganduri S, Lue N. STN1-POLA2 interaction provides a basis for primase-pol Î± stimulation by human STN1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9455-9466 pubmed publisher..Our findings have implications for the molecular mechanisms of PP, STN1 and STN1-related molecular pathology. ..
- Zhang J, Dubey P, Padarti A, Zhang A, Patel R, Patel V, et al. Novel functions of CCM1 delimit the relationship of PTB/PH domains. Biochim Biophys Acta Proteins Proteom. 2017;1865:1274-1286 pubmed publisher..The study provides new insight into the structural characteristics of PTB/PH domains, essential structural elements of PTB/PH domain required for NPXY motif-binding, and function and relationship among PTB, PH and FERM domains. ..
- Gao C, Sun J, Wang C, Dong Y, Xiao S, Wang X, et al. Genome-wide analysis of basic/helix-loop-helix gene family in peanut and assessment of its roles in pod development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181843 pubmed publisher..Our comprehensive genomic analysis provides a foundation for future functional dissection and understanding of the regulatory mechanisms of bHLH transcription factors in peanuts. ..
- Zanetti Polzi L, Davis C, Gruebele M, Dyer R, Amadei A, Daidone I. Parallel folding pathways of Fip35 WW domain explained by infrared spectra and their computer simulation. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:3265-3275 pubmed publisher..In particular, we propose a hypothesis for why folding via one of these intermediates was not experimentally observed by IR T-jump. ..
- Speranzini V, Ciossani G, Marabelli C, Mattevi A. Probing the interaction of the p53 C-terminal domain to the histone demethylase LSD1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2017;632:202-208 pubmed publisher..We conclude that p53-CTD inhibits LSD1 activity and that the direct association between the two proteins can contribute to their functional cross-talk. ..
- Hashimoto Y, Shirakura K, Okada Y, Takeda H, Endo K, Tamura M, et al. Claudin-5-Binders Enhance Permeation of Solutes across the Blood-Brain Barrier in a Mammalian Model. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;363:275-283 pubmed publisher..These anti-CLDN-5 mAbs are potential leads for the development of novel drug delivery systems targeting the CNS. ..
- Stiegler A, Boggon T. p190RhoGAP proteins contain pseudoGTPase domains. Nat Commun. 2017;8:506 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors identify two pseudoGTPase domains in p190RhoGAP, characterize them biochemically and structurally and show that they influence RhoGAP activity. ..
- Murugan K, Babu K, Sundaresan R, Rajan R, Sashital D. The Revolution Continues: Newly Discovered Systems Expand the CRISPR-Cas Toolkit. Mol Cell. 2017;68:15-25 pubmed publisher..These advances highlight the exciting prospects for future tools based on the continually expanding set of CRISPR-Cas systems. ..
- Nguyen T, Chenon M, Vilela F, Velours C, Aumont Nicaise M, Andreani J, et al. Structural plasticity of the N-terminal capping helix of the TPR domain of kinesin light chain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186354 pubmed publisher..Together, these results underline that the structural plasticity of the N-terminal capping helix might represent a structural determinant for TPR domain structural versatility in cargo binding. ..
- Adebali O, Petukh M, Reznik A, Tishkov A, Upadhyay A, Zhulin I. Class III Histidine Kinases: a Recently Accessorized Kinase Domain in Putative Modulators of Type IV Pilus-Based Motility. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..Full understanding of this putative function may help in designing effective drugs against pathogens that will not affect the majority of the beneficial human microbiome. ..
- Lannes L, Young P, Richter C, Morgner N, Schwalbe H. Interaction of the N-Terminal Tandem Domains of hnRNP LL with the BCL2 Promoter i-Motif DNA Sequence. Chembiochem. 2017;18:2033-2044 pubmed publisher..It is observed that RRM12 binds to Py39wt regardless of the DNA conformation. We propose that RRM12 recognises a single-stranded CTCCC element present in loopâ€…1 of the i-motif and in the apical loop of the hairpin conformation. ..
- TessÃ© S, Bourbon H, Debuchy R, Budin K, Dubois E, Liangran Z, et al. Asy2/Mer2: an evolutionarily conserved mediator of meiotic recombination, pairing, and global chromosome compaction. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1880-1893 pubmed publisher..Thus, beyond its role as a recombinosome-axis/SC linker molecule, Mer2 has important functions in relation to basic chromosome structure. ..
- Vyas R, Reed A, Raper A, Zahurancik W, Wallenmeyer P, Suo Z. Structural basis for the D-stereoselectivity of human DNA polymerase ?. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:6228-6237 pubmed publisher..The two NRTIs escape some of the active site selection through the base and sugar modifications but are selected against through the inability of hPol? to complete thumb domain closure. ..
- Wujak L, Hesse C, Sewald K, Jonigk D, Braubach P, Warnecke G, et al. FXII promotes proteolytic processing of the LRP1 ectodomain. Biochim Biophys Acta Gen Subj. 2017;1861:2088-2098 pubmed publisher..FXII-dependent proteolytic processing of LRP1 may exacerbate extracellular proteolysis and thus promote pathological tissue remodeling. ..
- Ohashi T, Lemmon C, Erickson H. Fibronectin Conformation and Assembly: Analysis of Fibronectin Deletion Mutants and Fibronectin Glomerulopathy (GFND) Mutants. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4584-4591 pubmed publisher..The mutations may destabilize their FNIII domains or generate dimers of dimers by disulfide cross-linking. ..
- Huang Y, Gao M, Yang F, Zhang L, Su Z. Deciphering the promiscuous interactions between intrinsically disordered transactivation domains and the KIX domain. Proteins. 2017;85:2088-2095 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the importance of long-range electrostatic interactions in molecular recognition process involving multi-motif intrinsically disordered proteins and promiscuous interactions. ..
- Filippova N, Yang X, Ananthan S, Sorochinsky A, Hackney J, Gentry Z, et al. Hu antigen R (HuR) multimerization contributes to glioma disease progression. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16999-17010 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings provide new insights into HuR multimerization in glioma and highlight possible pharmacological approaches for targeting HuR domains involved in cancer cell-specific multimerization. ..
- Carapito R, Konantz M, Paillard C, Miao Z, Pichot A, Leduc M, et al. Mutations in signal recognition particle SRP54 cause syndromic neutropenia with Shwachman-Diamond-like features. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:4090-4103 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, autosomal dominant mutations in SRP54, a key member of the cotranslation protein-targeting pathway, lead to syndromic neutropenia with a Shwachman-Diamond-like phenotype. ..
- Murphy K, Cutter A, Fang H, Postnikov Y, Bustin M, Hayes J. HMGN1 and 2 remodel core and linker histone tail domains within chromatin. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9917-9930 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide new insights into the molecular mechanisms whereby HMGNs affect chromatin structure...
- Lee H, Jung S, Hwang H, Kang D, De S, Dudekula D, et al. WIG1 is crucial for AGO2-mediated ACOT7 mRNA silencing via miRNA-dependent and -independent mechanisms. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:6894-6910 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data indicate that WIG1 governs the miRNA-dependent and the miRNA-independent recruitment of AGO2 to lower the stability of and suppress the translation of ACOT7 mRNA. ..
- Calles Garcia D, Yang M, Soya N, Melero R, Ménade M, Ito Y, et al. Single-particle electron microscopy structure of UDP-glucose:glycoprotein glucosyltransferase suggests a selectivity mechanism for misfolded proteins. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11499-11507 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have determined the UGGT structure, which enabled us to develop a plausible functional model of the mechanism for UGGT's selectivity for misfolded glycoproteins. ..
- Guan H, Du Y, Ning Y, Cao X. A brief perspective of drug resistance toward EGFR inhibitors: the crystal structures of EGFRs and their variants. Future Med Chem. 2017;9:693-704 pubmed publisher..Moreover, new strategies for avoiding EGFR drug resistance in cancer treatments are also discussed. ..
- Jin X, Germann A, Shin D, Akk G, Steinbach J. Determination of the Residues in the Extracellular Domain of the Nicotinic ? Subunit Required for the Actions of Physostigmine on Neuronal Nicotinic Receptors. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;92:318-326 pubmed publisher..In addition, other point mutations could affect the extent of potentiation or inhibition, indicating that a more extensive set of interactions in the amino-terminal domain plays some role in the actions of physostigmine. ..
- Jia W, Yao Z, Zhao J, Guan Q, Gao L. New perspectives of physiological and pathological functions of nucleolin (NCL). Life Sci. 2017;186:1-10 pubmed publisher..In this review, we present an overview on the structure, localizations and various functions of NCL, and further describe how the multiple functions of NCL are correlated to its multiple cellular distributions. ..
- Chen Y, Cai S, Qiao X, Wu M, Guo Z, Wang R, et al. As-CATH1-6, novel cathelicidins with potent antimicrobial and immunomodulatory properties from Alligator sinensis, play pivotal roles in host antimicrobial immune responses. Biochem J. 2017;474:2861-2885 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the diversity and multiple functions of As-CATH1-6 partially reveal the powerful immune system of the Chinese alligator. ..
- Siddiqui N, Straube A. Intracellular Cargo Transport by Kinesin-3 Motors. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2017;82:803-815 pubmed publisher..However, their mode of action, their tertiary structure, and regulation are controversial. In this review, we summarize the latest developments in our understanding of these fascinating molecular motors. ..
- Mulinta R, Yao S, Ng A, Cass C, Young J. Substituted cysteine accessibility method (SCAM) analysis of the transport domain of human concentrative nucleoside transporter 3 (hCNT3) and other family members reveals features of structural and functional importance. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9505-9522 pubmed publisher
- Stutz A, Kolbe C, Stahl R, Horvath G, Franklin B, van Ray O, et al. NLRP3 inflammasome assembly is regulated by phosphorylation of the pyrin domain. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1725-1736 pubmed publisher..These results propose that the balance between kinases and phosphatases acting on the NLRP3 PYD is critical for NLRP3 activation. ..
- Bascos N, Mayer M, Bukau B, Landry S. The Hsp40 J-domain modulates Hsp70 conformation and ATPase activity with a semi-elliptical spring. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1838-1851 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the functional J-domain acts like a semi-elliptical spring, wherein the resistance to bending upon binding to the Hsp70 ATPase modulates the ATPase domain conformational change and promotes ATP hydrolysis. ..
- Nandwani N, Surana P, Udgaonkar J, Das R, Gosavi S. Amino-acid composition after loop deletion drives domain swapping. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1994-2002 pubmed publisher..This new understanding that the domain swapping propensity after loop deletion may depend critically on the chemical composition of the shortened loop will facilitate the rational design of domain swapping. ..
- Mills C, Suzuki A, Arceci A, Mo J, Duncan A, Salmon E, et al. Nucleolar and spindle-associated protein 1 (NUSAP1) interacts with a SUMO E3 ligase complex during chromosome segregation. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17178-17189 pubmed publisher..We speculate that NUSAP1 contributes to accurate chromosome segregation by acting as a co-factor for RanBP2-RanGAP1-UBC9 during cell division. ..
- Crépin R, Veggiani G, Djender S, Beugnet A, Planeix F, Pichon C, et al. Whole-cell biopanning with a synthetic phage display library of nanobodies enabled the recovery of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor inhibitors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1567-1572 pubmed publisher..We expect that the proposed biopanning strategy will be profitable to identify useful functional antibodies for further members of the GPCR class...
- Cantor J, Abu Remaileh M, Kanarek N, Freinkman E, Gao X, Louissaint A, et al. Physiologic Medium Rewires Cellular Metabolism and Reveals Uric Acid as an Endogenous Inhibitor of UMP Synthase. Cell. 2017;169:258-272.e17 pubmed publisher..Thus, media that better recapitulates the composition of human plasma reveals unforeseen metabolic wiring and regulation, suggesting that HPLM should be of broad utility. ..
- He Y, Staley J, Andersen G, Nielsen K. Structure of the DEAH/RHA ATPase Prp43p bound to RNA implicates a pair of hairpins and motif Va in translocation along RNA. RNA. 2017;23:1110-1124 pubmed publisher..Our crystal structure, genetic, and biochemical experiments, as well as comparisons with other DExH ATPases, support a generalized mechanism for the DExH class of helicases involving a pair of bookends that inchworm along RNA. ..
- Korasick D, Gamage T, Christgen S, Stiers K, Beamer L, Henzl M, et al. Structure and characterization of a class 3B proline utilization A: Ligand-induced dimerization and importance of the C-terminal domain for catalysis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9652-9665 pubmed publisher..Although this domain contains neither catalytic residues nor substrate sites, its removal impaired both catalytic activities, suggesting that it may be essential for active-site integrity. ..
- Guan X, Chen P, Xu Q, Qian L, Huang J, Lin B. Expression, purification and molecular characterization of a novel endoglucanase protein from Bacillus subtilis SB13. Protein Expr Purif. 2017;134:125-131 pubmed publisher..The substitutions of L247P,N292D, F404V and L434P might contribute to the activity of the endoglucanase, and the insertion of a 6 × His-tag at the N-terminal of the endoglucanase might also affect its activity. ..
- Cahill J, Rajaure M, Holt A, Moreland R, O Leary C, Kulkarni A, et al. Suppressor Analysis of the Fusogenic Lambda Spanins. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Here, we report a suppressor analysis of lambda spanin function. To our knowledge this is the first suppression analysis of a class I-like complex and also the first such analysis of a prokaryote membrane fusion system. ..
- Sahu I, Mayo D, Subbaraman N, Inbaraj J, McCarrick R, Lorigan G. Probing topology and dynamics of the second transmembrane domain (M2?) of the acetyl choline receptor using magnetically aligned lipid bilayers (bicelles) and EPR spectroscopy. Chem Phys Lipids. 2017;206:9-15 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the use of magnetically aligned lipid bilayer EPR technique to determine a more accurate helical tilt and more resolved local dynamics of AchR M2? peptide. ..
- Wang W, Krosky D, Ahn K. Discovery of Inactive Conformation-Selective Kinase Inhibitors by Utilizing Cascade Assays. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4449-4456 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates effective identification of inactive conformation-selective inhibitors by cascade assays, reveals key factors that impact results, and provides guidelines for successful cascade assay development...
- Zheng X, Mueller G, Kim K, Perera L, Derose E, London R. Identification of drivers for the metamorphic transition of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. Biochem J. 2017;474:3321-3338 pubmed publisher..Spectral comparisons based on 15N-labeled constructs are all consistent with previous structural conclusions based on studies of 13C-methyl-labeled constructs. ..
- Yamamoto R, Obbineni J, Alford L, Ide T, Owa M, Hwang J, et al. Chlamydomonas DYX1C1/PF23 is essential for axonemal assembly and proper morphology of inner dynein arms. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006996 pubmed publisher..The role of PF23/DYX1C1 remains unknown, but we suggest that DYX1C1 could provide a scaffold for macromolecular assembly. ..
- Li Y, Cai W, Wang L, Liu G, Paul C, Jiang L, et al. Identification of the Functional Autophagy-Regulatory Domain in HCLS1-Associated Protein X-1 That Resists Against Oxidative Stress. DNA Cell Biol. 2018;37:432-441 pubmed publisher..Overall, these data indicate that autophagy induction is involved in HAX1-induced cell protective mechanism, and AA127-180 serves as the functional autophagy-regulatory domain of this antiapoptotic protein. ..
- Jin Y, Hoxie R, Street T. Molecular mechanism of bacterial Hsp90 pH-dependent ATPase activity. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1206-1213 pubmed publisher..These results reveal site-specific energetic information about an evolutionarily conserved conformational landscape that controls Hsp90 ATPase activity. ..
- Ochoa A, Singh M. Domain prediction with probabilistic directional context. Bioinformatics. 2017;33:2471-2478 pubmed publisher..dPUC2 is available at http://github.com/alexviiia/dpuc2. firstname.lastname@example.org. Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Plain F, Congreve S, Yee R, Kennedy J, Howie J, Kuo C, et al. An amphipathic Î±-helix directs palmitoylation of the large intracellular loop of the sodium/calcium exchanger. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10745-10752 pubmed publisher..NCX1 palmitoylation is governed by a distal secondary structure element rather than by local primary sequence. ..
- Loveland A, Demo G, Grigorieff N, Korostelev A. Ensemble cryo-EM elucidates the mechanism of translation fidelity. Nature. 2017;546:113-117 pubmed publisher..This work reveals long-sought structural differences between the pre-accommodation of cognate and near-cognate tRNAs that elucidate the mechanism of accurate decoding. ..
- Perell G, Staebell R, Hairani M, Cembran A, Pomerantz W. Tuning Sulfur Oxidation States on Thioether-Bridged Peptide Macrocycles for Modulation of Protein Interactions. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1836-1844 pubmed publisher..In some cases, proteolytic stability, binding capacity with KIX, and increased helicity were obtained as first steps toward developing PPI inhibitors. ..
- Sakurai S, Shimizu T, Ohto U. The crystal structure of the AhRR-ARNT heterodimer reveals the structural basis of the repression of AhR-mediated transcription. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17609-17616 pubmed publisher..This study provides a structural basis for understanding the mechanism by which AhRR represses AhR-mediated gene transcription. ..
- Zhu Y, Yue F, He Y, Li P, Yang Y, Han Y, et al. Prokaryotic expression of the extracellular domain of porcine programmed death 1 (PD-1) and its ligand PD-L1 and identification of the binding with peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro. Can J Vet Res. 2017;81:147-154 pubmed..Ces résultats suggèrent que les protéines recombinantes solubles pourraient être utilisées afin de préparer des anticorps monoclonaux pour bloquer la voie PD-1/PD-L1.(Traduit par Docteur Serge Messier). ..
- Fukui K, Iino H, Baba S, Kumasaka T, Kuramitsu S, Yano T. Crystal structure and DNA-binding property of the ATPase domain of bacterial mismatch repair endonuclease MutL from Aquifex aeolicus. Biochim Biophys Acta Proteins Proteom. 2017;1865:1178-1187 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the model structure and further experimental results, we concluded that the two separate DNA-binding sites in the full-length A. aeolicus MutL simultaneously bind a dsDNA molecule. ..
- Singal B, Balakrishna A, Nartey W, Manimekalai M, Jeyakanthan J, Gruber G. Crystallographic and solution structure of the N-terminal domain of the Rel protein from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:2323-2337 pubmed publisher..Small-angle X-ray scattering experiments were performed to investigate the dimeric state of the MtRel NTD and possible substrate-dependent structural alterations. ..
- Fernandez Fernandez M, Gragera M, Ochoa Ibarrola L, Quintana Gallardo L, Valpuesta J. Hsp70 - a master regulator in protein degradation. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:2648-2660 pubmed publisher..Accumulated knowledge suggests that the fate of an Hsp70 substrate is dictated by the combination of partners (cochaperones and other chaperones) that interact with Hsp70 in a given cell context. ..