Genomes and Genes
Summary: The location of the atoms, groups or ions relative to one another in a molecule, as well as the number, type and location of covalent bonds.
- Morrison K, Hergenrother P. Natural products as starting points for the synthesis of complex and diverse compounds. Nat Prod Rep. 2014;31:6-14 pubmed publisher..Herein we review the use of natural products as starting points for the generation of complex compounds, discussing both early ad hoc efforts and a more recent systematization of this approach. ..
- Sha S, Zhang J, Carroll P, Walsh P. Raising the pKa limit of "soft" nucleophiles in palladium-catalyzed allylic substitutions: application of diarylmethane pronucleophiles. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:17602-9 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that the cutoff between "soft" and "hard" nucleophiles should be raised from a pronucleophile pKa of 25 to at least 32. ..
- Ahlburg A, Lindhardt A, Taaning R, Modvig A, Skrydstrup T. An air-tolerant approach to the carbonylative Suzuki-Miyaura coupling: applications in isotope labeling. J Org Chem. 2013;78:10310-8 pubmed publisher..Finally, the developed system was applied in the synthesis and isotope labeling of two pharmaceuticals, nordazepam and Tricor. ..
- Hong W, Iosub A, Stahl S. Pd-catalyzed Semmler-Wolff reactions for the conversion of substituted cyclohexenone oximes to primary anilines. J Am Chem Soc. 2013;135:13664-7 pubmed publisher..The oxime N-O bond undergoes oxidative addition to Pd(0)(PCy3)2, and the product of this step has been characterized by X-ray crystallography and shown to undergo dehydrogenation to afford the aniline product. ..
- Chung W, Vanderwal C. Approaches to the chemical synthesis of the chlorosulfolipids. Acc Chem Res. 2014;47:718-28 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this research testifies to the stability of polychlorinated molecules and should inspire confidence in the use of aliphatic chlorides in other applications, including in discovery chemistry. ..
- Nguyen M, Smith A. Polymer-supported siloxane transfer agents for Pd-catalyzed cross-coupling reactions. Org Lett. 2013;15:4258-61 pubmed publisher..The solubility properties of the polymer facilitate not only product purification but also polymer recycling without significant loss of cross-coupling activity. ..
- Pitaval A, Leboeuf D, Ceccon J, Echavarren A. Access to the protoilludane core by gold-catalyzed allene-vinylcyclopropane cycloisomerization. Org Lett. 2013;15:4580-3 pubmed publisher..Gold(I)-catalyzed allene-vinylcyclopropane cycloisomerization leads to the tricyclic framework of the protoilludanes in a single step by a reaction that involves a cyclopropane ring expansion and a Prins cyclization. ..
- Vaidya T, Cheng R, Carlsen P, FRONTIER A, Eisenberg R. Cationic cyclizations and rearrangements promoted by a heterogeneous gold catalyst. Org Lett. 2014;16:800-3 pubmed publisher..The catalyst is easy to prepare, is robust, and can be recycled. Low loadings are effective for different types of cationic reactions, including Nazarov cyclizations, lactonizations, and [1,2] shifts. ..
- Jia X, Wang Y, Peng F, Huo C, Yu L, Liu J, et al. Catalytic sp3 C-H oxidation of peptides and their analogues by radical cation salts: from glycine amides to quinolines. J Org Chem. 2013;78:9450-6 pubmed publisher..The scope of this reaction shows good functional group tolerance and high efficiency of the oxidative functionalization. ..
- Fang L, Hsung R, Ma Z, Presser W. A highly stereoselective Diels-Alder cycloaddition of enones with chiral cyclic 2-amidodienes derived from allenamides. Org Lett. 2013;15:4842-5 pubmed publisher..With enones serving as effective dienophiles, these cycloadditions can be highly diastereoselective depending upon the chiral amide substituent, thereby representing a facile entry to optically enriched [2.2.2]bicyclic manifolds. ..
- Zheng B, Jia T, Walsh P. Palladium-catalyzed direct intermolecular ?-arylation of amides with aryl chlorides. Org Lett. 2013;15:4190-3 pubmed publisher..Chemoselectivities up to 10:1 in the mono- and diarylation of acetamides were achieved by careful selection of bases, solvents, and stoichiometry. Bis-arylated amides were prepared in up to 95% yield. ..
- Hadimani M, Macdonough M, Ghatak A, Strecker T, Lopez R, Sriram M, et al. Synthesis of a 2-aryl-3-aroyl indole salt (OXi8007) resembling combretastatin A-4 with application as a vascular disrupting agent. J Nat Prod. 2013;76:1668-78 pubmed publisher..The combination of these results provides evidence that the indole-based phosphate prodrug 33 (OXi8007) functions as a vascular disrupting agent that may prove useful for the treatment of cancer. ..
- Montel S, Jia T, Walsh P. Palladium-catalyzed ?-arylation of benzylic phosphine oxides. Org Lett. 2014;16:130-3 pubmed publisher..The Pd(OAc)2/Xantphos-based catalyst enabled the reaction between benzyl diphenyl or dicyclohexyl phosphine oxide derivatives and aryl bromides in good to excellent yields (51-91%). ..
- Pepe A, Pamment M, Kim Y, Lee S, Lee M, Beebe K, et al. Synthesis and structure-activity relationship studies of novel dihydropyridones as androgen receptor modulators. J Med Chem. 2013;56:8280-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the model probably represents a realistic conformation of the antagonist form and can be utilized for structure-based design of novel antiandrogens. ..
- Mahmoud M, Ali H, Ahn K, Damaraju A, Samala S, Pulipati V, et al. Structure-activity relationship study of indole-2-carboxamides identifies a potent allosteric modulator for the cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1). J Med Chem. 2013;56:7965-75 pubmed publisher..It showed an equilibrium dissociation constant (KB) of 167.3 nM with a markedly high binding cooperativity factor (? = 16.55) and potent antagonism of agonist-induced GTP?S binding. ..
- Silvestre H, Blundell T, Abell C, Ciulli A. Integrated biophysical approach to fragment screening and validation for fragment-based lead discovery. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12984-9 pubmed publisher..Our multibiophysical approach identified three distinct binding sites for fragments and laid a solid foundation for successful structure-based elaboration into potent inhibitors. ..
- Bueno Pérez L, Li J, Lantvit D, Pan L, Ninh T, Chai H, et al. Bioactive constituents of Indigofera spicata. J Nat Prod. 2013;76:1498-504 pubmed publisher..In addition, cis-(6a?,12a?)-hydroxyrotenone (7) was evaluated in an in vivo hollow fiber bioassay using HT-29, MCF-7 human breast cancer, and MDA-MB-435 human melanoma cells. ..
- Gritsch P, Stempel E, Gaich T. Enantioselective synthesis of cyclohepta[b]indoles: gram-scale synthesis of (S)-SIRT1-inhibitor IV. Org Lett. 2013;15:5472-5 pubmed publisher..This method was developed for application in natural product synthesis of a variety of indole alkaloids. ..
- Lishchynskyi A, Novikov M, Martin E, Escudero Adan E, Novak P, Grushin V. Trifluoromethylation of aryl and heteroaryl halides with fluoroform-derived CuCF3: scope, limitations, and mechanistic features. J Org Chem. 2013;78:11126-46 pubmed publisher..The fluoroform-derived CuCF3 reagent and its reactions with haloarenes provide an unmatched combination of reactivity, selectivity, and low cost. ..
- Zhang M, Liang Y, Li H, Liu M, Wang Y. Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of hydantoin bridged analogues of combretastatin A-4 as potential anticancer agents. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:6623-6634 pubmed publisher..081-0.157?M. These results indicated that the hydantoin derivatives merit further investigation as potential anticancer agents that inhibit tubulin polymerization. ..
- Michalicová P, Mravec F, Pekar M. Fluorescence study of freeze-drying as a method for support the interactions between hyaluronan and hydrophobic species. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184558 pubmed publisher..This work is the first step in developing biocompatible and biodegradable carriers for hydrophobic drugs with targeted distribution of the active compound from native, chemically non-modified hyaluronan. ..
- Lan J, Huang L, Lou H, Chen C, Liu T, Hu S, et al. Design and synthesis of novel C14-urea-tetrandrine derivatives with potent anti-cancer activity. Eur J Med Chem. 2018;143:1968-1980 pubmed publisher..Moreover, activation of caspases led to increase cleavage of PARP, which further accelerates apoptotic cell death. These results reveal that the compound 4g may be used as a potential anticancer drug candidate. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhao C, Tian G, Lu C, Li Y, He L, et al. Simultaneous characterization of chemical structures and bioactivities of citrus-derived components using SERS barcodes. Food Chem. 2018;240:743-750 pubmed publisher..Importantly, SERS barcodes exhibited the 'identity' characteristics. Beyond the molecular structure information, bioactivity information can also be read from the barcodes according to the bioactivity assay ..
- Ma F, Du H. Novel deoxyvasicinone derivatives as potent multitarget-directed ligands for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;140:118-127 pubmed publisher..Remarkably, compound 12q also demonstrated the highest potential inhibitory activity for A?1-42 self-aggregation (63.9 ± 4.9%, 10 ?M), and it was also an excellent metal chelator. ..
- Fessas P, Lee H, Ikemizu S, Janowitz T. A molecular and preclinical comparison of the PD-1-targeted T-cell checkpoint inhibitors nivolumab and pembrolizumab. Semin Oncol. 2017;44:136-140 pubmed publisher..We acknowledge the limitations of such comparisons, but suggest that based on the available data, differences in clinical trial outcomes between nivolumab and pembrolizumab are more likely drug-independent than drug-dependent. ..
- Li Z, Liu X, Zhao T, Geng P, Liu Y, Zhao B, et al. Design, synthesis and preliminary antiproliferative activity studies of new diheteroaryl thioether derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4377-4382 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the diheteroaryl thioethers are a class of emerging chemotypes for developing antitumor agents or biological probes, and compound 5 could serve as a good starting point to design new apoptosis inducers. ..
- Park E, Lee D, Baek S, Kim K, Kang K, Jang T, et al. Cytotoxic effect of sanguiin H-6 on MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 human breast carcinoma cells. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4389-4392 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that sanguiin H-6 is a potent therapeutic agent against breast cancer cells. In addition, it exerts its anticancer effect in an estrogen-receptor-independent manner. ..
- Domracheva I, Kanepe Lapsa I, Jackevica L, Vasiljeva J, Arsenyan P. Selenopheno quinolinones and coumarins promote cancer cell apoptosis by ROS depletion and caspase-7 activation. Life Sci. 2017;186:92-101 pubmed publisher..This present study provides scientific evidence that selenopheno quinolinones and coumarins promote cancer cell apoptosis by ROS depletion and caspase-7 activation in malignant cells. ..
- Ömeroğlu İ, Kaya E, Göksel M, Kussovski V, Mantareva V, Durmus M. Axially substituted silicon(IV) phthalocyanine and its quaternized derivative as photosensitizers towards tumor cells and bacterial pathogens. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:5415-5422 pubmed publisher..The quaternized derivative 3Q has high potential for photoinactivation of pathogenic bacterial species. ..
- Pelliccia S, Wu Y, Coluccia A, La Regina G, Tseng C, Famiglini V, et al. Inhibition of dengue virus replication by novel inhibitors of RNA-dependent RNA polymerase and protease activities. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2017;32:1091-1101 pubmed publisher..These results describe novel prototypical small anti-DENV molecules for further development through compound modification and provide potential antivirals for treating DENV infection and DENV-related diseases. ..
- Wang Z, Xie D, Gan X, Zeng S, Zhang A, Yin L, et al. Synthesis, antiviral activity, and molecular docking study of trans-ferulic acid derivatives containing acylhydrazone moiety. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4096-4100 pubmed publisher..Docking results were consistent with the inactivating activity of target compounds against TMV. ..
- Muñoz Gutiérrez C, Sepúlveda C, Caballero J, Palomo I, Fuentes E. Study of the interactions between Edaglitazone and Ciglitazone with PPAR? and their antiplatelet profile. Life Sci. 2017;186:59-65 pubmed publisher..Altogether, the more potent PPAR? agonist Edaglitazone seems to be a potent antiplatelet agent. ..
- Arai M, Utsumi T, Yanase N, Fujimatsu T, Ishibashi M. Efficient Synthesis of Heterocyclic Flavonoids with Hedgehog Signal Inhibitory Activity. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2017;65:784-795 pubmed publisher..Overall, these synthetic flavonoids represent promising new additions to our expanding panel of Hh pathway inhibitors, and with further development these molecules may ultimately be considered for clinical use. ..
- Kim M, Choi O, Pyo S, Choi S, Park C. Identification of novel ALK2 inhibitors and their effect on cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;492:121-127 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we propose that our compounds are promising candidates for the treatment of cancer or diseases with abnormal ALK2 or BMP9 signaling. ..
- Han X, Jiang M, Zhou C, Zhou Z, Xu Z, Wang L, et al. Discovery of potent and selective CDK8 inhibitors through FBDD approach. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4488-4492 pubmed publisher..Compound 16 was progressed to a mouse pharmacokinetic study and showed good oral bioavailability. ..
- Zhang Z, Xiao X, Su T, Wu J, Ren J, Zhu J, et al. Synthesis, structure-activity relationships and preliminary mechanism of action of novel water-soluble 4-quinolone-3-carboxamides as antiproliferative agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;140:239-251 pubmed publisher..Further investigations on mechanism of action of this class of compound demonstrated that the representative compound 8k could trigger p53/Bax-independent colorectal cancer cell apoptosis via inducing ROS accumulation. ..
- Hsieh H, Chuang H, Shen F, Detroja K, Hsin L, Chen C. Targeting breast cancer stem cells by novel HDAC3-selective inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;140:42-51 pubmed publisher..Equally important, they showed in vitro and/or in vivo efficacy in suppressing the CSC subpopulation of TNBC cells via the downregulation of ?-catenin. ..
- Amawi H, Karthikeyan C, Pathak R, Hussein N, Christman R, Robey R, et al. Thienopyrimidine derivatives exert their anticancer efficacy via apoptosis induction, oxidative stress and mitotic catastrophe. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;138:1053-1065 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study has identified a lead molecule, 6j, that selectively induces oxidative stress, apoptosis and mitotic catastrophe in specific cancer (colon and ovarian) cell lines. ..
- Sica V, Rees E, Raja H, Rivera Chávez J, Burdette J, Pearce C, et al. In situ mass spectrometry monitoring of fungal cultures led to the identification of four peptaibols with a rare threonine residue. Phytochemistry. 2017;143:45-53 pubmed publisher..In addition, one of the peptaibols was fully characterized by NMR and amino acid analysis using Marfey's reagent and exhibited moderate in vitro anticancer activity. ..
- Jumaah F, Jędrkiewicz R, Gromadzka J, Namiesnik J, Essén S, Turner C, et al. Rapid and Green Separation of Mono- and Diesters of Monochloropropanediols by Ultrahigh Performance Supercritical Fluid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Using Neat Carbon Dioxide as a Mobile Phase. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:8220-8228 pubmed publisher..The developed method was successfully applied for the determination of MCPD esters in refined oils and showed a close to excellent green analysis score using the Analytical Eco-Scale. ..
- Elghamry I, Youssef M, Al Omair M, Elsawy H. Synthesis, antimicrobial, DNA cleavage and antioxidant activities of tricyclic sultams derived from saccharin. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;139:107-113 pubmed publisher..And their antioxidant activities were also measured. Four carboxylate derivatives (3a, 5a, 5f and 5g) and one anilide (5d) of the tested compounds proved to be the highest activity all over the study. ..
- Spiliotopoulos D, Wamhoff E, Lolli G, Rademacher C, Caflisch A. Discovery of BAZ2A bromodomain ligands. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;139:564-572 pubmed publisher..The binding modes of compounds 1 and 3 are compatible with ligand growing for optimization of affinity for BAZ2A and selectivity against the close homologue BAZ2B. ..
- Shi Z, Miao F, Fang S, Liu X, Yin X, Ji N. Sesteralterin and Tricycloalterfurenes A-D: Terpenes with Rarely Occurring Frameworks from the Marine-Alga-Epiphytic Fungus Alternaria alternata k21-1. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:2524-2529 pubmed publisher..Compounds 1-6 were assayed for inhibition of the growth of four marine plankton and one marine alga-pathogenic bacterium. ..
- Furukawa T, Hinou H, Takeda S, Chiba H, Nishimura S, Hui S. An Efficient Glycoblotting-Based Analysis of Oxidized Lipids in Liposomes and a Lipoprotein. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1903-1909 pubmed publisher..By using three classes of standards, liposomes, and a lipoprotein, it is demonstrated that glycoblotting represents a powerful approach for focused lipidomics, even in complex macromolecules. ..
- Lee H, Park Y, Kim S. Enzymatic Cross-Linking of Side Chains Generates a Modified Peptide with Four Hairpin-like Bicyclic Repeats. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4927-4930 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the enzymatic cross-linking of peptide side chains can generate more diverse structures in nature or by engineering...
- Colombo P, Flamini G, Rodondi G, Giuliani C, Santagostini L, Fico G. Phytochemistry of European Primula species. Phytochemistry. 2017;143:132-144 pubmed publisher..It focuses on the possible taxonomic significance of the secondary metabolites and on their ecological role as attractors for pollinators and deterrents against herbivores and parasites, in order to build the base for further studies. ..
- Ferguson F, Doctor Z, Chaikuad A, Sim T, Kim N, Knapp S, et al. Characterization of a highly selective inhibitor of the Aurora kinases. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:4405-4408 pubmed publisher..The X-ray co-crystal structure of Aurora A in complex with compound 2 is reported, and provides insights into the structural determinants of ligand binding and selectivity. ..
- Kang H, Ji S, Park S, Kim J. Lepistatins A-C, chlorinated sesquiterpenes from the cultured basidiomycete Lepista sordida. Phytochemistry. 2017;143:111-114 pubmed publisher..This indicates that lepistatins A-C probably possess a new sesquiterpene scaffold derived from the common precursor, trans-humulyl cation, by an alternative cyclization. ..
- Śladowska K, Opydo Chanek M, Król T, Trybus W, Trybus E, Kopacz Bednarska A, et al. In Vitro Effects of Bromoalkyl Phenytoin Derivatives on Regulated Death, Cell Cycle and Ultrastructure of Leukemia Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6373-6380 pubmed
- Zhen J, Dai Y, Villani T, Giurleo D, Simon J, Wu Q. Synthesis of novel flavonoid alkaloids as ?-glucosidase inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017;25:5355-5364 pubmed publisher..Addition of extra hydrogen bonding and hydrophobic groups on ring A would increase the inhibitory activity. ..
- Wang J, Cai P, Yang X, Li F, Wu J, Kong L, et al. Novel cinnamamide-dibenzylamine hybrids: Potent neurogenic agents with antioxidant, cholinergic, and neuroprotective properties as innovative drugs for Alzheimer's disease. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;139:68-83 pubmed publisher..Overall, all of these outstanding in vitro results in combination with promising in vivo outcomes highlighted derivative 7f as the lead structure worthy of further investigation. ..