Summary: Reversible chemical reaction between a solid, often one of the ION EXCHANGE RESINS, and a fluid whereby ions may be exchanged from one substance to another. This technique is used in water purification, in research, and in industry.
- Juang R, Kao H, Liu F. Ion exchange recovery of Ni(II) from simulated electroplating waste solutions containing anionic ligands. J Hazard Mater. 2006;128:53-9 pubmedb>Ion exchange is widely used for the recovery and removal of metals from process and waste streams in chemical process industries...
- Dai J, Shieh C, Sheng Q, Zhou H, Zeng R. Proteomic analysis with integrated multiple dimensional liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry based on elution of ion exchange column using pH steps. Anal Chem. 2005;77:5793-9 pubmed..This method provides a technique for large-scale protein identification using existing one-dimensional HPLC systems. ..
- Goodall S, Grandison A, Jauregi P, Price J. Selective separation of the major whey proteins using ion exchange membranes. J Dairy Sci. 2008;91:1-10 pubmed..This reduction in capacity coupled with the low binding capacity of current ion exchange membranes are 2 serious considerations for selectively separating complex and concentrated protein solutions.
- Rozendal R, Hamelers H, Molenkamp R, Buisman C. Performance of single chamber biocatalyzed electrolysis with different types of ion exchange membranes. Water Res. 2007;41:1984-94 pubmed..12 V at 2.39 A/m2; AEM 0.27 V at 2.15 A/m2) as a result of a less effective electroless plating method for the AEM membrane electrode assembly (MEA). ..
- Jorgensen T, Weatherley L. Ammonia removal from wastewater by ion exchange in the presence of organic contaminants. Water Res. 2003;37:1723-8 pubmedThe scope of this study was the removal of ammonium by ion exchange from simulated wastewater. The study looks at the effect of organics upon ammonium ion exchange equilibrium uptake...
- Trgo M, Peric J, Medvidović N. A comparative study of ion exchange kinetics in zinc/lead-modified zeolite-clinoptilolite systems. J Hazard Mater. 2006;136:938-45 pubmed..The rate of the ion exchange process for lead ions is faster than for zinc ions, as well as the time needed to reach the equilibrium...
- Shi X, Li Q, Wang T, Lackner K. Kinetic analysis of an anion exchange absorbent for CO2 capture from ambient air. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179828 pubmed publisher..The new sorbent components include ion exchange resin (IER) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) as a binder...
- Ji E, Moon H, Piao J, Ha P, An J, Kim D, et al. Interface resistances of anion exchange membranes in microbial fuel cells with low ionic strength. Biosens Bioelectron. 2011;26:3266-71 pubmed publisher..The AEMs allowed transport of uncharged O(2) and acetate, but the current losses for both were low during normal MFC operation. ..
- Tuzen M, Sari A, Mendil D, Soylak M. Biosorptive removal of mercury(II) from aqueous solution using lichen (Xanthoparmelia conspersa) biomass: kinetic and equilibrium studies. J Hazard Mater. 2009;169:263-70 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the lichen biomass could be regenerated using 1M HCl, with up to 85% recovery, which allowed the reuse of the biomass in ten biosorption-desorption cycles without any considerable loss of biosorptive removal capacity. ..
- Chen M, Cao Z, Jiang Y, Zhu Z. Direct determination of glyphosate and its major metabolite, aminomethylphosphonic acid, in fruits and vegetables by mixed-mode hydrophilic interaction/weak anion-exchange liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2013;1272:90-9 pubmed publisher..1-13.8%. The intra-day precision (n=7) for glyphosate and AMPA in vegetable and fruit samples spiked at an intermediate level between 5.9% and 7.5%, and the inter-day precision over 11 days (n=11) was between 7.0% and 13%. ..
- Emara M, Tourky A, El Moselhy M. Structural modification of mordenite zeolite with Fe for the photo-degradation of EDTA. J Hazard Mater. 2009;166:514-22 pubmed publisherFe(2+) was incorporated inside mordenite through ion exchange technique in aqueous solution. The amount of Fe loading was 25-100 wt %, using FeSO(4).7H(2)O as precursor and Na-mordenite starting material Na-M...
- Manos M, Kanatzidis M. Layered metal sulfides capture uranium from seawater. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134:16441-6 pubmed publisher..The results presented here reveal the exceptional potential of sulfide-based ion-exchangers for remediating of uranium-containing wastes and groundwater and for extracting uranium from the sea. ..
- Li Y, Yang W, Fan M, Liu A. A sensitive label-free amperometric CEA immunosensor based on graphene-nafion nanocomposite film as an enhanced sensing platform. Anal Sci. 2011;27:727 pubmed..Analytical results were found to be in satisfactory agreement with those detected by the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method, indicating that this new method was a promising alternative tool for clinical diagnosis. ..
- Cifuentes Araya N, Pourcelly G, Bazinet L. Impact of pulsed electric field on electrodialysis process performance and membrane fouling during consecutive demineralization of a model salt solution containing a high magnesium/calcium ratio. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2011;361:79-89 pubmed publisher..PEF ratio 1 was the most optimal condition among the current regimes applied, leading to faster and higher demineralization rates due to a lower fouling and with low energy consumption during all consecutive runs. ..
- Ma X, Li Y, Li X, Yang L, Wang X. Preparation of novel polysulfone capsules containing zirconium phosphate and their properties for Pb2+ removal from aqueous solution. J Hazard Mater. 2011;188:296-303 pubmed publisher..Consequently, the PSF@ZrP capsules in this work can provide a potential application for treatment process of Pb(2+)-containing wastewater. ..
- Jasik Slezak J, Olszówka K, Slezak A. [Evaluation of the concentration difference determining the membrane transport in concentration polarization conditions]. Polim Med. 2010;40:55-61 pubmed..015 mol l(-1), breaking symmetry of complex l(h)/M/l(l) in relation to gravitational direction, what is the reason of increase (Ci-Ce) and volume and solute fluxes. ..
- Zhao B, Zhao H, Dockko S, Ni J. Arsenate removal from simulated groundwater with a Donnan dialyzer. J Hazard Mater. 2012;215-216:159-65 pubmed publisher..Our results showed that the proposed Donnan dialysis POU device could effectively remove arsenic from drinking water in rural areas in a sustainable manner. ..
- Jia X, Gong D, Han Y, Wei C, Duan T, Chen H. Fast speciation of mercury in seawater by short-column high-performance liquid chromatography hyphenated to inductively coupled plasma spectrometry after on-line cation exchange column preconcentration. Talanta. 2012;88:724-9 pubmed publisher..008ngL(-1) for EtHg(+) (as Hg), respectively. With the established method, three seawater samples were also analyzed, and all the three mercury species have been found in each sample, albeit at a very low concentration. ..
- Mateo C, Grazu V, Guisan J. Immobilization of enzymes on monofunctional and heterofunctional epoxy-activated supports. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1051:43-57 pubmed publisher..The different supports are able to immobilize proteins through different orientations being obtained catalysts with different properties of activity, stability, and selectivity. ..
- Schuricht F, Borovinskaya E, Reschetilowski W. Removal of perfluorinated surfactants from wastewater by adsorption and ion exchange - Influence of material properties, sorption mechanism and modeling. J Environ Sci (China). 2017;54:160-170 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, ion exchange and hydrophobic interaction were found to be involved in the sorption processes on resins, while PFOS is only ..
- Xiong Z, Lin H, Liu F, Xiao P, Wu Z, Li T, et al. Flexible PVDF membranes with exceptional robust superwetting surface for continuous separation of oil/water emulsions. Sci Rep. 2017;7:14099 pubmed publisher..organic-inorganic hybrid membranes not only for continuous oil/water emulsion separation, but also for other functional application, such as electric conduction, heat conduction, ion exchange, and in membrane catalytic reactors etc.
- Sahu A, Conneely T, Nusslein K, Ergas S. Hydrogenotrophic denitrification and perchlorate reduction in ion exchange brines using membrane biofilm reactors. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2009;104:483-91 pubmed publisher..bacteria were investigated for treatment of nitrate (NO3-) and perchlorate (ClO4-) contaminated groundwater and ion exchange (IX) brines...
- Senevirathna S, Tanaka S, Fujii S, Kunacheva C, Harada H, Shivakoti B, et al. A comparative study of adsorption of perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) onto granular activated carbon, ion-exchange polymers and non-ion-exchange polymers. Chemosphere. 2010;80:647-51 pubmed publisher..Considering both adsorption isotherms and adsorption kinetics, AmbXAD4 and DowMarathonA were recommended to eliminate PFOS at ng L(-1) equilibrium concentration. ..
- Weisz A, Mazzola E, Ito Y. Preparative separation of di- and trisulfonated components of Quinoline Yellow using affinity-ligand pH-zone-refining counter-current chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2009;1216:4161-8 pubmed publisher..8mg of 8',5-diSA, both of over 98% purity. The isolated compounds were characterized by high-resolution mass spectrometry and proton nuclear magnetic resonance with correlated spectroscopy assignments. ..
- Bae B. Combined bio-regeneration and ion-exchange system for perchlorate removal. Water Sci Technol. 2014;69:1956-60 pubmed publisher..Since only 10-20% of perchlorate was eluted from the resin during 10 days of bio-regeneration, the main mechanism of bio-regeneration appears to be the direct reduction of perchlorate by PRB on the resin. ..
- Mount G, Tyas M, Ferracane J, Nicholson J, Berg J, Simonsen R, et al. A revised classification for direct tooth-colored restorative materials. Quintessence Int. 2009;40:691-7 pubmed..This paper is designed to bring the classification up to date so that the operator can make a suitable, evidence-based, choice when selecting a material for any given situation. ..
- Soto R, Yang L, Schoenfisch M. Functionalized Mesoporous Silica via an Aminosilane Surfactant Ion Exchange Reaction: Controlled Scaffold Design and Nitric Oxide Release. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2016;8:2220-31 pubmed publisher..oxide-releasing mesoporous silica nanoparticles (MSNs) were prepared using an aminosilane-template surfactant ion exchange reaction...
- Coronell O, Mariñas B, Cahill D. Accessibility and ion exchange stoichiometry of ionized carboxylic groups in the active layer of FT30 reverse osmosis membrane. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:5042-8 pubmed..40 indicated that on average only 40% of ionizable carboxylic groups were accessible to Ba2+. [Ba2+] values calculated using R-COO- concentrations and the AR and NN concepts were in agreement with experimental [Ba2+] results. ..
- Zhang R, Lu F, Lian J, Liu H, Liu X, Lu Q, et al. Ion exchange in KTiOPO4 crystals irradiated by copper and hydrogen ions. Opt Express. 2008;16:6768-73 pubmed..The prism coupling method is used to measure the dark mode spectra of the samples. Compared with results of ion exchange on the sample without irradiations, both the number of guided mode and its corresponding effective refractive ..
- Apell J, Boyer T. Combined ion exchange treatment for removal of dissolved organic matter and hardness. Water Res. 2010;44:2419-30 pubmed publisher..Anion exchange treatment, and in particular magnetic ion exchange (MIEX), has been shown to effectively remove DOM from natural waters...
- Wajima T, Munakata K. Material conversion from paper sludge ash in NaOH solution to synthesize adsorbent for removal of Pb2+, NH4+ and PO4(3-) from aqueous solution. J Environ Sci (China). 2011;23:718-24 pubmed..The concentrations of Si and Al in the solution and the crystalline phases in the solid during the reaction explain the formation of the product phases at each temperature. ..
- Zhang S, Shao Y, Liu J, Aksay I, Lin Y. Graphene-polypyrrole nanocomposite as a highly efficient and low cost electrically switched ion exchanger for removing ClO?? from wastewater. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2011;3:3633-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, the presence of graphene substrate resulted in high stability of graphene-Ppy nanocomposite during potential cycling. The present work provides a promising method for large scale water treatment. ..
- Wei C, Li X, Deng Z, Fan G, Li M, Li C. Recovery of H2SO4 from an acid leach solution by diffusion dialysis. J Hazard Mater. 2010;176:226-30 pubmed publisher..60 g/L V at a flow rate of 0.19x10(-3) m(3)/h m(2). V and Fe ion rejection were within 93-95 and 92-94%, respectively. A preliminary economic evaluation revealed that an investment in this process could be recovered within 27 months. ..
- Dong Q, Liu J, Song L, Shao G. Novel zwitterionic inorganic-organic hybrids: synthesis of hybrid adsorbents and their applications for Cu2+ removal. J Hazard Mater. 2011;186:1335-42 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrated that they are promising absorbents for the separation and recovery of Cu(2+) ions from contaminated water. ..
- Zhou Z, Zhang J, Xing J, Bai Y, Liao Y, Liu H. Membrane-based continuous remover of trifluoroacetic acid in mobile phase for LC-ESI-MS analysis of small molecules and proteins. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom. 2012;23:1289-92 pubmed publisher..The established LC-TFA remover-MS system has been successfully applied for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of small molecules as well as proteins. ..
- Sarkar S, Greenleaf J, Gupta A, Uy D, SenGupta A. Sustainable engineered processes to mitigate the global arsenic crisis in drinking water: challenges and progress. Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng. 2012;3:497-517 pubmed publisher..One such technology is in operation on the Indian subcontinent. Wide-scale replication of this technology with adequate improvisation can solve the arsenic crisis prevalent in the developing world. ..
- Paczosa Bator B, Stepien M, Maj Zurawska M, Lewenstam A. Biomimetic study of the Ca(2+)-Mg2+ and K(+)-Li+ antagonism on biologically active sites: new methodology to study potential dependent ion exchange. Magnes Res. 2009;22:10-20 pubmedCompetitive divalent (magnesium and calcium) or monovalent (potassium, lithium and sodium) ion exchange and its influence on a membrane potential formation was studied at biological ligands (BL) such as adenosine triphosphate (ATP), ..
- Gupta V, Agarwal S, Pathania D, Kothiyal N, Sharma G. Use of pectin-thorium (IV) tungstomolybdate nanocomposite for photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue. Carbohydr Polym. 2013;96:277-83 pubmed publisher..thermal stability, pH titrations, elution and concentration behaviour were investigated to explore the ion exchange behaviour of nanocomposite material. Pc/TWM exhibited higher ion exchange capacity (1...
- Huang Z, Pan W, Zhou H, Qin F, Xu H, Shen W. Nafion-resin-modified mesocellular silica foam catalyst for 5-hydroxymethylfurfural production from D-fructose. ChemSusChem. 2013;6:1063-9 pubmed publisher..As a heterogeneous catalytic process, a possible reaction mechanism for the dehydration of D-fructose over Nafion-modified MCF catalysts was proposed. ..
- Rosa V, Yoshimura H, Pinto M, Fredericci C, Cesar P. Effect of ion exchange on strength and slow crack growth of a dental porcelain. Dent Mater. 2009;25:736-43 pubmed publisherTo determine the effect of ion exchange on slow crack growth (SCG) parameters (n, stress corrosion susceptibility coefficient, and sigma(f0), scaling parameter) and Weibull parameters (m, Weibull modulus, and sigma(0), characteristic ..
- Chung W, Evans S, Freed A, Keba J, Baer Z, Rege K, et al. Utilization of lysozyme charge ladders to examine the effects of protein surface charge distribution on binding affinity in ion exchange systems. Langmuir. 2010;26:759-68 pubmed publisher..The ion exchange separation showed a significant degree of variation in the retention time of the different variants...
- Ejhieh A, Khorsandi M. Photodecolorization of Eriochrome Black T using NiS-P zeolite as a heterogeneous catalyst. J Hazard Mater. 2010;176:629-37 pubmed publisherNiS-P zeolite was prepared by ion exchange and precipitation procedures and it was characterized by FT-IR, SEM and thermal methods. The prepared composite was used as a catalyst in the photodecolorization process of Eriochrome Black T (E...
- Hsu S, Singer P. Removal of bromide and natural organic matter by anion exchange. Water Res. 2010;44:2133-40 pubmed publisher..organic matter (NOM), bicarbonate, chloride, and bromide were treated with a polyacrylate-based magnetic ion exchange (MIEX) resin on a batch basis to evaluate the effectiveness of the resin for removal of bromide...
- Borlido L, Moura L, Azevedo A, Roque A, Aires Barros M, Farinha J. Stimuli-responsive magnetic nanoparticles for monoclonal antibody purification. Biotechnol J. 2013;8:709-17 pubmed publisher..By exploring the stimuli-responsive properties of the particles, shorter magnetic separation times were possible without significant differences in product yield and purity. ..
- Matos C, Velizarov S, Reis M, Crespo J. Removal of bromate from drinking water using the ion exchange membrane bioreactor concept. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:7702-8 pubmed..This work evaluates the applicability of the ion exchange membrane bioreactor (IEMB) concept for the removal of bromate from drinking water, in situations where nitrate ..
- Zhu Y, Shen G, Zhang F, Yang B. Simple preparation of solid-phase microextraction fiber with cation exchange capacities using poly(butadiene-maleic acid). Anal Sci. 2013;29:1009-11 pubmed..The performance of the fiber combined with ion chromatography was evaluated by choosing Mg(2+) and Ca(2+) as model analytes; ?13 and ?51-fold enrichment factors for Mg(2+) and Ca(2+) were obtained, respectively. ..
- Sohrabnezhad S, Pourahmad A, Radaee E. Photocatalytic degradation of basic blue 9 by CoS nanoparticles supported on AlMCM-41 material as a catalyst. J Hazard Mater. 2009;170:184-90 pubmed publisher..04-1.2g/L. It was seen that 0.8 g/L of photocatalyst is an optimum value for the dosage of photocatalyst. In the best conditions, the degradation efficiency was obtained 0.32 ppm for MB dye. ..
- Ogata F, Tominaga H, Yabutani H, Kawasaki N. Removal of fluoride ions from water by adsorption onto carbonaceous materials produced from coffee grounds. J Oleo Sci. 2011;60:619-25 pubmed..The mechanism of adsorption of fluoride ions onto CG600 proceeded via ion exchange with chloride ions (1:1) present on the surface of CG600...