Genomes and Genes
light signal transduction
Summary: The conversion of absorbed light energy into molecular signals.
- Yu P, Song L, Qin J, Wang J. Capturing the photo-signaling state of a photoreceptor in a steady-state fashion by binding a transition metal complex. Protein Sci. 2017;26:2249-2256 pubmed publisher..The organometallic reagents hold promise as protein engineering tools. This work highlights a novel approach to structurally accessing short lived intermediates of proteins in a steady-state fashion. ..
- Hochrein L, Machens F, Messerschmidt K, Mueller Roeber B. PhiReX: a programmable and red light-regulated protein expression switch for yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:9193-9205 pubmed publisher..Time course experiments demonstrate high-level induction over a period of at least 48 h. ..
- Foyer C, Ruban A, Noctor G. Viewing oxidative stress through the lens of oxidative signalling rather than damage. Biochem J. 2017;474:877-883 pubmed publisher..Examining the multifaceted roles of ROS as crucial cellular signals, we highlight as an example the loss of photosystem II function called photoinhibition, where photoprotection has classically been conflated with oxidative damage. ..
- Olivares A, Han Y, Soto D, Flattery K, Marini J, Mollema N, et al. The nuclear hormone receptor gene Nr2c1 (Tr2) is a critical regulator of early retina cell patterning. Dev Biol. 2017;429:343-355 pubmed publisher..This study supports a role for Nr2c1 in defining the biphasic period of retinal development and specifically influencing the early phase of retinal cell fate. ..
- Zhang Y, Li C, Zhang J, Wang J, Yang J, Lv Y, et al. Dissection of HY5/HYH expression in Arabidopsis reveals a root-autonomous HY5-mediated photomorphogenic pathway. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180449 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that an organ-specific HY5-mediated pathway controls root photomorphogenic development independently of light signaling in the shoot. ..
- Holtkotte X, Ponnu J, Ahmad M, Hoecker U. The blue light-induced interaction of cryptochrome 1 with COP1 requires SPA proteins during Arabidopsis light signaling. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007044 pubmed publisher..Blue light is sensed by the Arabidopsis photoreceptors CRY1 and CRY2 which subsequently initiate light signal transduction by repressing the COP1/SPA E3 ubiquitin ligase...