Genomes and Genes
Summary: Conformational transitions of a protein from unfolded states to a more folded state.
- Wang S, Borschel W, Heyman S, Hsu P, Nichols C. Conformational changes at cytoplasmic intersubunit interactions control Kir channel gating. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:10087-10096 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the removal of stabilizing CD-I salt bridges results in a collapsed state of the Kir domain. ..
- Lewis J, Elder P. Monoclonal antibodies to the reactive centre loop (RCL) of human corticosteroid-binding globulin (CBG) can protect against proteolytic cleavage. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;171:247-253 pubmed publisher..These findings may provide a basis and rationale for the concept of the use of RCL antibodies as therapeutic agents to effectively increase the proportion of intact CBG in circulation which may be of benefit in acute inflammation. ..
- Mitic S, Strampraad M, Hagen W, de Vries S. Microsecond time-scale kinetics of transient biochemical reactions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185888 pubmed publisher..35 ?s for a total duration of ~600 ?s. As a proof of principle the instrument was used to study spontaneous protein refolding of pH-denatured cytochrome c...
- Schmidt J, Guillaume P, Dojcinovic D, Karbach J, Coukos G, Luescher I. In silico and cell-based analyses reveal strong divergence between prediction and observation of T-cell-recognized tumor antigen T-cell epitopes. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:11840-11849 pubmed publisher..This observation highlights the need for improving in silico predictions of peptide immunogenicity. ..
- Mikula K, Tascón I, Tommila J, Iwai H. Segmental isotopic labeling of a single-domain globular protein without any refolding step by an asparaginyl endopeptidase. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1285-1294 pubmed publisher..This simple protein ligation approach using an AEP could be applied for incorporation of various biophysical probes into proteins as well as post-translational production of full-length proteins. ..
- Westerhold L, Bridges L, Shaikh S, Zeczycki T. Kinetic and Thermodynamic Analysis of Acetyl-CoA Activation of Staphylococcus aureus Pyruvate Carboxylase. Biochemistry. 2017;56:3492-3506 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our kinetic and thermodynamic results provide a possible allosteric mechanism by which acetyl-CoA coordinates catalysis within the PC tetramer. ..
- Pettersson J, Lanni F, Rule G. Dual Lifetimes for Complexes between Glutathione-S-transferase (hGSTA1-1) and Product-like Ligands Detected by Single-Molecule Fluorescence Imaging. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4073-4083 pubmed publisher..Kinematic traces of fluorescence from single molecules show that a single molecule readily samples a number of different conformations, each with a characteristic off-rate. ..
- Ruan L, Zhou C, Jin E, Kucharavy A, Zhang Y, Wen Z, et al. Cytosolic proteostasis through importing of misfolded proteins into mitochondria. Nature. 2017;543:443-446 pubmed publisher..We term this mitochondria-mediated proteostasis mechanism MAGIC (mitochondria as guardian in cytosol) and provide evidence that it may exist in human cells. ..
- Yao X, Cato M, Labudde E, Beyett T, Tesmer J, Grant B. Navigating the conformational landscape of G protein-coupled receptor kinases during allosteric activation. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16032-16043 pubmed publisher..Navigation of the conformational landscape defined by this bioinformatics-based study is likely common to all GPCR-activated GRKs. ..
- Pilipczuk J, Zalewska Piatek B, Bruzdziak P, Czub J, Wieczór M, Olszewski M, et al. Role of the disulfide bond in stabilizing and folding of the fimbrial protein DraE from uropathogenic Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16136-16149 pubmed publisher..We also show that the disulfide bond in DraE is recognized by the DraB chaperone, indicating a mechanism that precludes the incorporation of less stable, non-oxidized DraE forms into the fimbriae. ..
- Dautant A, Meyer P, Georgescauld F. Hydrogen/Deuterium Exchange Mass Spectrometry Reveals Mechanistic Details of Activation of Nucleoside Diphosphate Kinases by Oligomerization. Biochemistry. 2017;56:2886-2896 pubmed publisher..Further HDX-MS studies are necessary to establish the general activation mechanism for other homo-oligomers. ..
- Gao B, Harvey P, Craik D, Ronjat M, De Waard M, Zhu S. Functional evolution of scorpion venom peptides with an inhibitor cystine knot fold. Biosci Rep. 2013;33: pubmed publisher..The structural and functional characterizations of the first scorpion venom ICK toxin with K+ channel-blocking activity sheds light on functionally divergent and convergent evolution of this conserved scaffold of ancient origin. ..
- Bond T, Sorenson A, Schaeffer P. Functional characterisation of Burkholderia pseudomallei biotin protein ligase: A toolkit for anti-melioidosis drug development. Microbiol Res. 2017;199:40-48 pubmed publisher..Our biochemical data in combination with the new HT DSF-GTP and biotinylation activity assay could facilitate future drug screening efforts against this drug-resistant organism. ..
- Kötzler M, McIntosh L, Withers S. Refolding the unfoldable: A systematic approach for renaturation of Bacillus circulans xylanase. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1555-1563 pubmed publisher..This general approach should be applicable to related GH11 xylanases, as well as proteins adopting a similar ?-jellyroll fold, that are otherwise recalcitrant to refolding in vitro. ..