Genomes and Genes
Summary: LIPOLYSIS of stored LIPIDS in the ADIPOSE TISSUE to release FREE FATTY ACIDS. Mobilization of stored lipids is under the regulation of lipolytic signals (CATECHOLAMINES) or anti-lipolytic signals (INSULIN) via their actions on the hormone-sensitive LIPASE. This concept does not include lipid transport.
- Contreras G, Sordillo L. Lipid mobilization and inflammatory responses during the transition period of dairy cows. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011;34:281-9 pubmed publisher..Intense lipid mobilization from tissue stores is an important metabolic adaptation during the transition period that results in ..
- Johansson L, Roos M, Kullberg J, Weis J, Ahlstrom H, Sundbom M, et al. Lipid mobilization following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass examined by magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy. Obes Surg. 2008;18:1297-304 pubmed publisher..RYGBP causes rapid lipid mobilization from visceral and subcutaneous adipose depots and enhanced free fatty acid flux to the liver...
- Moro C, Pillard F, De Glisezinski I, Klimcakova E, Crampes F, Thalamas C, et al. Exercise-induced lipid mobilization in subcutaneous adipose tissue is mainly related to natriuretic peptides in overweight men. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008;295:E505-13 pubmed publisherInvolvement of sympathetic nervous system and natriuretic peptides in the control of exercise-induced lipid mobilization was compared in overweight and lean men. Lipid mobilization was determined using local microdialysis during exercise...
- Vaillancourt E, Weber J. Lipid mobilization of long-distance migrant birds in vivo: the high lipolytic rate of ruff sandpipers is not stimulated during shivering. J Exp Biol. 2007;210:1161-9 pubmed..study provides the first measurements of lipolytic rate in migrant birds and shows that their capacity for lipid mobilization reaches the highest values measured to date in vertebrates...
- de Glisezinski I, Larrouy D, Bajzova M, Koppo K, Polak J, Berlan M, et al. Adrenaline but not noradrenaline is a determinant of exercise-induced lipid mobilization in human subcutaneous adipose tissue. J Physiol. 2009;587:3393-404 pubmed publisherThe relative contribution of noradrenaline (norepinephrine) and adrenaline (epinephrine) in the control of lipid mobilization in subcutaneous adipose tissue (SCAT) during exercise was evaluated in men treated with a somatostatin analogue, ..
- Foster M, Song C, Bartness T. Hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus lesion involvement in the sympathetic control of lipid mobilization. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18:682-9 pubmed publisher..We next tested for possible laterality effects on WAT lipid mobilization using food deprivation as the lipolytic stimulus in hamsters bearing unilateral or bilateral PVHx...
- Groundwater P, Beck S, Barton C, Adamson C, Ferrier I, Tisdale M. Alteration of serum and urinary lipolytic activity with weight loss in cachectic cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 1990;62:816-21 pubmed..79 and 0.70 respectively) when the total body weight loss did not exceed 20%. This suggests that weight loss in cancer patients may be attributed, at least in part, to an, as yet, unidentified lipolytic factor. ..
- Rohm M, Sommerfeld A, Strzoda D, Jones A, Sijmonsma T, Rudofsky G, et al. Transcriptional cofactor TBLR1 controls lipid mobilization in white adipose tissue. Cell Metab. 2013;17:575-85 pubmed publisherb>Lipid mobilization (lipolysis) in white adipose tissue (WAT) critically controls lipid turnover and adiposity in humans...
- Boschmann M, Engeli S, Dobberstein K, Budziarek P, Strauss A, Boehnke J, et al. Dipeptidyl-peptidase-IV inhibition augments postprandial lipid mobilization and oxidation in type 2 diabetic patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:846-52 pubmed publisher..Our study is the first to suggest that DPP-4 inhibition augments postprandial lipid mobilization and oxidation...
- Sheets A, Fülöp P, Derdak Z, Kassai A, Sabo E, Mark N, et al. Uncoupling protein-2 modulates the lipid metabolic response to fasting in mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;294:G1017-24 pubmed publisher..We conclude that UCP2-mediated control of insulin secretion is a physiologically relevant mechanism of the metabolic response to fasting. ..
- Marques M, Combes M, Roussel B, Vidal Dupont L, Thalamas C, Lafontan M, et al. Impact of a mechanical massage on gene expression profile and lipid mobilization in female gluteofemoral adipose tissue. Obes Facts. 2011;4:121-9 pubmed publisher..the incidence of a mechanical massage technique on gene expression profile and ?-adrenergic-mediated lipid mobilization in female femoral adipose tissue...
- Mustonen A, Asikainen J, Aho J, Nieminen P. Selective seasonal fatty acid accumulation and mobilization in the wild raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides). Lipids. 2007;42:1155-67 pubmed..The principles of selective FA mobilization were valid in wild mammals. FA incorporation was also selective and reversed the wintertime losses of the preferably mobilized FA...
- Davies B, Beigneux A, Fong L, Young S. New wrinkles in lipoprotein lipase biology. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2012;23:35-42 pubmed publisher..These new discoveries open new doors for understanding basic mechanisms of lipolysis and hyperlipidemia. ..
- Murgatroyd P, Fruhbeck G, Goldberg G, Jebb S, Leahy F, Moore M, et al. Leptin does not respond to 48 h fat deposition or mobilization in women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003;27:457-62 pubmed..Although in states of energy balance leptin concentration is linearly related to fat mass, acute modulation of leptin concentration during energy imbalance is not mediated by fat flux. ..
- González F, Muiño R, Pereira V, Campos R, Benedito J. Relationship among blood indicators of lipomobilization and hepatic function during early lactation in high-yielding dairy cows. J Vet Sci. 2011;12:251-5 pubmed..During early lactation, 30% of cows suffered hepatic lipidosis as detected by levels of AST. Compromised hepatic function was observed in early lactation cows as shown by lower concentrations of glucose, total protein, and urea. ..
- Sordillo L, Raphael W. Significance of metabolic stress, lipid mobilization, and inflammation on transition cow disorders. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract. 2013;29:267-78 pubmed publisher..Intense lipid mobilization is associated with both metabolic and infectious diseases in the transition cow...
- Møller N, Pørksen N, Ovesen P, Alberti K. Evidence for increased sensitivity of fuel mobilization to growth hormone during short-term fasting in humans. Horm Metab Res. 1993;25:175-9 pubmed..05). During fasting peak levels of 1775 +/- 150 mumol/l and 1780 +/- 360 mumol/l of FFA and 3-OHB were observed compared to postabsorptive peaks of 980 +/- 100 and 230 +/- 90 mumol/l respectively.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Rajakumari S, Grillitsch K, Daum G. Synthesis and turnover of non-polar lipids in yeast. Prog Lipid Res. 2008;47:157-71 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we will discuss non-polar lipid homeostasis and its newly discovered links to various cell biological processes in the yeast. ..
- Grishina Z, Pushkareva M, Pletjushkina O, Reiser G, Peters Golden M, Sud ina G. Sulfatides inhibit leukotriene synthesis in human polymorphonuclear granulocytes by a mechanism involving lipid rearrangement in intracellular membranes. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008;40:110-24 pubmed..On the basis of these data, we suggest that increased cholesterol accumulation in cell compartments represents a novel mechanism by which sulfatides abrogate 5-LO translocation and activation. ..
- Mazzucotelli A, Langin D. [Fatty acid mobilization and their use in adipose tissue]. J Soc Biol. 2006;200:83-91 pubmed..Recent data on lipid mobilization in adipose tissue have revealed a complex pathway involving a human specific hormonal control of lipolysis ..
- Daum G, Wagner A, Czabany T, Grillitsch K, Athenstaedt K. Lipid storage and mobilization pathways in yeast. Novartis Found Symp. 2007;286:142-51; discussion 151-4, 162-3, 196-203 pubmed..Neutral lipid mobilization is initiated by the triacylglycerol lipases Tgl3p, Tgl4p and Tgl5p, and the steryl ester hydrolases Tgl1p, ..
- Lewis G. Lipid metabolism. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2006;17:205-8 pubmed
- Socha R, Kodrik D, Sula J. Wing morph-specific differences in the metabolism and endocrine control of reserve mobilization in adult males of a flightless bug, Pyrrhocoris apterus (L.) (Heteroptera). J Comp Physiol B. 2005;175:557-65 pubmed..It is the first report of endocrine regulation of wing morph-related differences in the lipid mobilization in males of wing-polymorphic insects.
- Sadeghipour H, Bhatla S. Differential sensitivity of oleosins to proteolysis during oil body mobilization in sunflower seedlings. Plant Cell Physiol. 2002;43:1117-26 pubmed..fragment, which appeared post-germinatively and accumulated corresponding to increased rate of lipid mobilization. A 65-kDa protease, active at pH 7.5-9.5, was zymographically detected in the total soluble protein...
- Moran F, Hendrickx A, Shideler S, Overstreet J, Watkins S, Lasley B. Effects of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) on fatty acid availability and neural tube formation in cynomolgus macaque, Macaca fascicularis. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2004;71:37-46 pubmed..Since neural tube development is dependent, in part, on n-3 and n-6 fatty acids, it is possible that the limitation of these essential fatty acids in plasma resulted in the observed detrimental effects on early brain development. ..
- Fenzl M, Schnizer W, Aebli N, Schlegel C, Villiger B, Disch A, et al. Release of ANP and fat oxidation in overweight persons during aerobic exercise in water. Int J Sports Med. 2013;34:795-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the higher ANP concentrations in WE had no additional effect on lipid mobilization, FFA release and fat oxidation...
- Cho H, Kang Y, Yoo H, Yoon S, Kang S, Chang E, et al. Panax red ginseng extract regulates energy expenditures by modulating PKA dependent lipid mobilization in adipose tissue. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;447:644-8 pubmed publisher..Since activation of HSL induces lipolysis in WAT and fatty acid oxidation in brown adipose tissue (BAT), these results suggest that Panax red ginseng extracts reduce HFD induced obesity by regulating lipid mobilization.
- Ghosh S. Macrophage cholesterol homeostasis and metabolic diseases: critical role of cholesteryl ester mobilization. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2011;9:329-40 pubmed publisher..Targeting reduction in macrophage CE levels and focusing on enhancing cholesterol flux from peripheral tissues to liver for final elimination is proposed. ..
- Meraihi Z, Lutz O, Scheftel J, Frey A, Bach A. Gram-negative bacteria sepsis in the rat and tissue lipolytic activity on LCT and MCT/LCT-based commercial parenteral emulsions. Infusionstherapie. 1990;17:104-7 pubmed
- Louveau I, Gondret F. Regulation of development and metabolism of adipose tissue by growth hormone and the insulin-like growth factor system. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2004;27:241-55 pubmed..GH is apparently the main regulator of IGF-I mRNA expression in adipose tissue, however, the effects of IGF-I on this tissue are rather unclear. ..
- Russell S, Tisdale M. Effect of a tumour-derived lipid-mobilising factor on glucose and lipid metabolism in vivo. Br J Cancer. 2002;87:580-4 pubmed
- Ferrer Lorente R, Cabot C, Fernández López J, Alemany M. Combined effects of oleoyl-estrone and a beta3-adrenergic agonist (CL316,243) on lipid stores of diet-induced overweight male Wistar rats. Life Sci. 2005;77:2051-8 pubmed..beta3-adrenergic agonist with OE may help compensate the short-lived effects of the agonist and enhance the lipid mobilization action of OE...
- Morris A, Calsbeek D, Eckel R. Lipid metabolism and nutrient partitioning strategies. Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord. 2004;3:411-30 pubmed..The translation of this science to humans remains a challenging task. ..
- Cifarelli R, Conconi M, Marmo R, Di Liddo R, Dininno C, Ferraro S, et al. 5-Azacytidine makes human preadipocytes able to differentiate into mesoderm-derived cell lineages. Stem Cells Dev. 2012;21:76-85 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that AZA, without the use of transduction methods, convert preadipocytes to a less differentiated state that can be induced, under suitable stimuli, to the formation of mesoderm-derived cell lineages. ..
- Price E, Armstrong C, Guglielmo C, Staples J. Selective mobilization of saturated fatty acids in isolated adipocytes of hibernating 13-lined ground squirrels Ictidomys tridecemlineatus. Physiol Biochem Zool. 2013;86:205-12 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that adipocytes from hibernating squirrels produced more glycerol than those from summer squirrels (regardless of temperature), indicating a higher lipolytic capacity in hibernating squirrels. ..
- Atzmon G, Yang X, Muzumdar R, Ma X, Gabriely I, Barzilai N. Differential gene expression between visceral and subcutaneous fat depots. Horm Metab Res. 2002;34:622-8 pubmed..These results indicate that visceral fat and subcutaneous fat are biologically distinct. ..
- Mei S, Gu H, Ward A, Yang X, Guo H, He K, et al. p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) promotes cholesterol ester accumulation in macrophages through inhibition of macroautophagy. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:11761-8 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide brand new insight about cholesterol ester accumulation in macrophages and foam cell formation. ..
- Inadera H, Nagai S, Dong H, Matsushima K. Molecular analysis of lipid-depleting factor in a colon-26-inoculated cancer cachexia model. Int J Cancer. 2002;101:37-45 pubmed..These results suggest that the lipid-depleting factor in clone 20 plasma is different from either IL-6 or TNF-alpha, and that this factor interfered with not only lipolysis but also lipogenesis through SREBP-1 of 3T3-L1 adipocytes. ..
- Moro C, Berlan M, Lafontan M. [Physiological and pathophysiological features of the control of lipolysis and lipid mobilization by natriuretic peptides]. J Soc Biol. 2006;200:67-76 pubmed..Intravenous infusion of physiological doses of ANP induces lipid mobilization. Higher concentrations of ANP that are encountered during heart failure also stimulate lipid oxidation...
- Lonnqvist F, Arner P. Interactions between adenylate cyclase inhibitors and beta-adrenoceptors in isolated human fat cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1989;161:654-60 pubmed..This seems to be mediated by the Gi-protein and represents a new potential mechanism by which lipolysis is regulated by inhibitors of adenylate cyclase in man. ..
- Costantini D, Padoan R, Curcio L, Giunta A. The management of enzymatic therapy in cystic fibrosis patients by an individualized approach. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1988;7 Suppl 1:S36-9 pubmed
- Huda M, Dovey T, Wong S, English P, Halford J, McCulloch P, et al. Ghrelin does not orchestrate the metabolic changes seen in fasting but has significant effects on lipid mobilisation and substrate utilisation. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011;165:45-55 pubmed publisher..In contrast, infused ghrelin has significant effects on lipid mobilisation and induces a marked biphasic NEFA response to meals. Hence, ghrelin may play a significant role in meal-related substrate utilisation and metabolic flexibility. ..
- Thamer C, Machann J, Tschritter O, Haap M, Wietek B, Dahl D, et al. Relationship between serum adiponectin concentration and intramyocellular lipid stores in humans. Horm Metab Res. 2002;34:646-9 pubmed..These results are consistent with animal data, where adiponectin could be shown to enhance lipid oxidation and reduce muscle triglycerides. ..
- Russell S, Tisdale M. Effect of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) on expression of a lipid mobilizing factor in adipose tissue in cancer cachexia. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2005;72:409-14 pubmed..These results suggest that EPA may preserve adipose tissue in cachectic mice by downregulation of ZAG expression through interference with glucocorticoid signalling. ..
- Gonzalez M, Toledo J, Tricerri M, Garda H. The central type Y amphipathic alpha-helices of apolipoprotein AI are involved in the mobilization of intracellular cholesterol depots. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;473:34-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the central domain of apoAI is involved in cholesterol cell traffic and solubilization, and that a Y-type charge distribution in polar face may be required, as well as a correct helices-polar face orientation. ..
- Feussner I, Kuhn H, Wasternack C. Lipoxygenase-dependent degradation of storage lipids. Trends Plant Sci. 2001;6:268-73 pubmed..In spite of the importance of lipid mobilization, its mechanism is only partially understood...
- Weil R. Burning fat through exercise. Diabetes Self Manag. 2002;19:85-6, 88, 90 pubmed
- Carro N, Garcia I, Ignacio M, Mouteira A. Distribution and spatial trends of PCBs in commercial scallops from Galician littoral (NW, Spain). Possible influence of biometric parameters. J Food Sci. 2012;77:T89-97 pubmed publisher..According to PCBs levels, geographical differences were observed in commercial scallops from the 3 studied estuarine bays (Ría de Ferrol, Ría de Arousa, and Ría de Vigo). ..
- Svendsen P, Jensen F, Holst J, Haugaard S, Nilas L, Madsbad S. The effect of a very low calorie diet on insulin sensitivity, beta cell function, insulin clearance, incretin hormone secretion, androgen levels and body composition in obese young women. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2012;72:410-9 pubmed publisher..05) was observed. The weight loss resulted in a significant decrease in free testosterone. A VLCD is an effective weight loss treatment, which results in an immediate improvement in several metabolic parameters. ..
- Oakes N, Thalén P, Jacinto S, Ljung B. Thiazolidinediones increase plasma-adipose tissue FFA exchange capacity and enhance insulin-mediated control of systemic FFA availability. Diabetes. 2001;50:1158-65 pubmed
- Bertin R. Glycerokinase activity and lipolysis regulation in brown adipose tissue of cold acclimated rats. Biochimie. 1976;58:431-4 pubmed..However this increased activity cannot entirely explain the lack of norepinephrine stimulation of glycerol release in the brown adipose tissue of cold adapted rats. ..