Genomes and Genes
neural stem cells
Summary: Self-renewing cells that generate the main phenotypes of the nervous system in both the embryo and adult. Neural stem cells are precursors to both NEURONS and NEUROGLIA.
Publications105 found, 100 shown here
- Boareto M, Iber D, Taylor V. Differential interactions between Notch and ID factors control neurogenesis by modulating Hes factor autoregulation. Development. 2017;144:3465-3474 pubmed publisherDuring embryonic and adult neurogenesis, neural stem cells (NSCs) generate the correct number and types of neurons in a temporospatial fashion. Control of NSC activity and fate is crucial for brain formation and homeostasis...
- Kohwi M, Doe C. Temporal fate specification and neural progenitor competence during development. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2013;14:823-38 pubmed..Studies of temporal-identity specification and progenitor competence can provide insight into how we could use neural progenitors to more effectively generate specific cell types for brain repair. ..
- Rauschert I, Aldunate F, Preussner J, Arocena Sutz M, Peraza V, Looso M, et al. Promoter hypermethylation as a mechanism for Lamin A/C silencing in a subset of neuroblastoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175953 pubmed publisher..Additionally, these findings may have treatment implications because tumour cells lacking Lamin A/C exhibit more aggressive behaviour. ..
- Kinoshita R, Kishi Y, Gotoh Y. [The role of lncRNA in regulation of neural stem cell fate.]. Clin Calcium. 2017;27:815-822 pubmed publisher..ncRNA(lncRNA), which has more than and 200 nucleotides, is involved in the regulation of fate decision in neural stem cells. In this article, we introduce some functional lncRNAs regulating neural stem cells and discuss the future ..
- Onishi K, Uyeda A, Shida M, Hirayama T, Yagi T, Yamamoto N, et al. Genome Stability by DNA Polymerase ? in Neural Progenitors Contributes to Neuronal Differentiation in Cortical Development. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8444-8458 pubmed publisher..Thus, genome stability by Pol?-dependent base excision repair in neural progenitors is required for the viability and differentiation of daughter neurons in the developing nervous system. ..
- Poulton J, Cuningham J, Peifer M. Centrosome and spindle assembly checkpoint loss leads to neural apoptosis and reduced brain size. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1255-1265 pubmed publisher..In the absence of both centrosomes and the SAC, brain cells, including neural stem cells, experience massive errors in mitosis, leading to increased cell death, which reduces the neural progenitor ..
- Olesen L, Sivasaravanaparan M, Severino M, Babcock A, Bouzinova E, West M, et al. Neuron and neuroblast numbers and cytogenesis in the dentate gyrus of aged APPswe/PS1dE9 transgenic mice: Effect of long-term treatment with paroxetine. Neurobiol Dis. 2017;104:50-60 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, while long-term paroxetine treatment may be able to reduce hippocampal amyloidosis, it appears to have no effect on total number of granular neurons or spatial working memory. ..
- Narendra Talabattula V, Morgan P, Frech M, Uhrmacher A, Herchenröder O, Pützer B, et al. Non-canonical pathway induced by Wnt3a regulates ?-catenin via Pyk2 in differentiating human neural progenitor cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:40-46 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Pyk2 plays an important role in the coordination of stabilization of ?-catenin in the crosstalk between Wnt/?-catenin and Wnt/Ca2+ signaling pathways upon Wnt3a stimulation in differentiating hNPCs. ..
- Hu X, Chen G, Zhang S, Zheng J, Wu J, Bai Q, et al. Persistent Expression of VCAM1 in Radial Glial Cells Is Required for the Embryonic Origin of Postnatal Neural Stem Cells. Neuron. 2017;95:309-325.e6 pubmed publisherDuring development, neural stem cells (NSCs) undergo transitions from neuroepithelial cells to radial glial cells (RGCs), and later, a subpopulation of slowly dividing RGCs gives rise to the quiescent adult NSCs that populate the ..
- Tech K, Tikunov A, Farooq H, Morrissy A, Meidinger J, Fish T, et al. Pyruvate Kinase Inhibits Proliferation during Postnatal Cerebellar Neurogenesis and Suppresses Medulloblastoma Formation. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3217-3230 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(12); 3217-30. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Ma S, Santhosh D, Kumar T P, Huang Z. A Brain-Region-Specific Neural Pathway Regulating Germinal Matrix Angiogenesis. Dev Cell. 2017;41:366-381.e4 pubmed publisher..They also identify tissue-specific molecular targets for GM hemorrhage intervention. ..
- Wang C, Yeo S, Haas M, Guan J. Autophagy gene FIP200 in neural progenitors non-cell autonomously controls differentiation by regulating microglia. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2581-2596 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that autophagy plays a crucial role in regulating neurogenesis and restricting local immune response in postnatal NSCs through non-cell autonomous mechanisms. ..
- Ishii M, Yamamoto K, Shoji M, Asami A, Kawamata Y. Human induced pluripotent stem cell (hiPSC)-derived neurons respond to convulsant drugs when co-cultured with hiPSC-derived astrocytes. Toxicology. 2017;389:130-138 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates the possibility that co-culture system of hiPSC-derived neurons with hiPSC-derived astrocytes could be useful in the risk assessment of drug-induced seizure. ..
- Caires JÃºnior L, Goulart E, Melo U, Araujo B, Alvizi L, Soares Schanoski A, et al. Discordant congenital Zika syndrome twins show differential in vitro viral susceptibility of neural progenitor cells. Nat Commun. 2018;9:475 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that CZS is not a stochastic event and depends on NPC intrinsic susceptibility, possibly related to oligogenic and/or epigenetic mechanisms. ..
- Chen H, Qian K, Chen W, Hu B, Blackbourn L, Du Z, et al. Human-derived neural progenitors functionally replace astrocytes in adult mice. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that this chimeric animal model has potential for further investigating the roles of human astrocytes in disease pathogenesis and repair. ..
- Wang Y, Zhou K, Li T, Xu Y, Xie C, Sun Y, et al. Inhibition of autophagy prevents irradiation-induced neural stem and progenitor cell death in the juvenile mouse brain. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2694 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that autophagy might be a potential target for preventing radiotherapy-induced neural stem and progenitor cell death and its associated long-term side effects. ..
- Clark A, Kaller M, Galino J, Willison H, Rinaldi S, Bennett D. Co-cultures with stem cell-derived human sensory neurons reveal regulators of peripheral myelination. Brain. 2017;140:898-913 pubmed publisher..awx012media15372351982001. ..
- Kim J, Choi I, Lee Y. Involvement of Atm and Trp53 in neural cell loss due to Terf2 inactivation during mouse brain development. Histochem Cell Biol. 2017;148:489-501 pubmed publisher..These giant neural cells disappeared in Lig4 deficiency. These data demonstrate ATM and TP53 are important for the maintenance of telomere homeostasis and the surveillance of telomere dysfunction during neurogenesis. ..
- Mutukula N, Elkabetz Y. "Neural Killer" Cells: Autologous Cytotoxic Neural Stem Cells for Fighting Glioma. Cell Stem Cell. 2017;20:426-428 pubmed publisher..2017) reported an advance in treating glioblastoma using tumor-homing cytotoxic induced neural stem cells (h-iNSCTE)...
- Yuan J, Ge H, Liu W, Zhu H, Chen Y, Zhang X, et al. M2 microglia promotes neurogenesis and oligodendrogenesis from neural stem/progenitor cells via the PPAR? signaling pathway. Oncotarget. 2017;8:19855-19865 pubmed publisher..The present study provides a further theoretical basis for induction of NSPCs oriented differentiation. ..
- Wang Z, Claus Henn B, Wang C, Wei Y, Su L, Sun R, et al. Genome-wide gene by lead exposure interaction analysis identifies UNC5D as a candidate gene for neurodevelopment. Environ Health. 2017;16:81 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that certain genetic polymorphisms within/near genes relevant to neurodevelopment might modify the toxic effects of Pb exposure via oxidative stress. ..
- Albert M, Kalebic N, Florio M, Lakshmanaperumal N, Haffner C, Brandl H, et al. Epigenome profiling and editing of neocortical progenitor cells during development. EMBO J. 2017;36:2642-2658 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we provide a rich resource of neocortical histone methylation data and outline an approach to investigate its contribution to the regulation of selected genes during neocortical development. ..
- Lu P, Ceto S, Wang Y, Graham L, Wu D, Kumamaru H, et al. Prolonged human neural stem cell maturation supports recovery in injured rodent CNS. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3287-3299 pubmed publisherb>Neural stem cells (NSCs) differentiate into both neurons and glia, and strategies using human NSCs have the potential to restore function following spinal cord injury (SCI)...
- Gu L, Cui X, Wei W, Yang J, Li X. Ferulic acid promotes survival and differentiation of neural stem cells to prevent gentamicin-induced neuronal hearing loss. Exp Cell Res. 2017;360:257-263 pubmed publisherb>Neural stem cells (NSCs) have exhibited promising potential in therapies against neuronal hearing loss. Ferulic acid (FA) has been widely reported to enhance neurogenic differentiation of different stem cells...
- Tsukahara T, Yamagishi S, Matsuda Y, Haniu H. Lysophosphatidic acid signaling regulates the KLF9-PPAR? axis in human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived neurons. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:223-227 pubmed publisher..We discuss the contribution of the LPA1-PPAR?-KLF9 axis to neurite outgrowth and proliferation in human iPSC-derived neurons. ..
- Markus Koch A, Schmitt O, Seemann S, Lukas J, Koczan D, Ernst M, et al. ADAM23 promotes neuronal differentiation of human neural progenitor cells. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2017;22:16 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ADAM23 regulates neuronal differentiation by triggering specific signaling pathways during hNPC differentiation. ..
- Pathania M, De Jay N, Maestro N, Harutyunyan A, Nitarska J, Pahlavan P, et al. H3.3K27M Cooperates with Trp53 Loss and PDGFRA Gain in Mouse Embryonic Neural Progenitor Cells to Induce Invasive High-Grade Gliomas. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:684-700.e9 pubmed publisher..Overall, we provide a faithful H3.3K27M-pHGG model which enables insights into oncohistone pathogenesis and investigation of future therapies. ..
- Cao P, Mooney R, Tirughana R, Abidi W, Aramburo S, Flores L, et al. Intraperitoneal Administration of Neural Stem Cell-Nanoparticle Conjugates Targets Chemotherapy to Ovarian Tumors. Bioconjug Chem. 2017;28:1767-1776 pubmed publisher..We have previously shown that tumor-tropic neural stem cells (NSCs) dramatically improve the intratumoral distribution of nanoparticles (NPs) when given intracerebrally ..
- Feng S, Shi T, Qiu J, Yang H, Wu Y, Zhou W, et al. Notch1 deficiency in postnatal neural progenitor cells in the dentate gyrus leads to emotional and cognitive impairment. FASEB J. 2017;31:4347-4358 pubmed publisher..Feng, S., Shi, T., Qiu, J., Yang, H., Wu, Y., Zhou, W., Wang, W., Wu, H. Notch1 deficiency in postnatal neural progenitor cells in the dentate gyrus leads to emotional and cognitive impairment. ..
- Adult neural stem cells (NSCs) in the ventricular-subventricular zone (V-SVZ) produce diverse olfactory bulb (OB) neurons. In a recent paper in Science, Paul et al...
- Sun D, Zhou X, Yu H, He X, Guo W, Xiong W, et al. Regulation of neural stem cell proliferation and differentiation by Kinesin family member 2a. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179047 pubmed publisherIn the developing neocortex, cells in the ventricular/subventricular zone are largely multipotent neural stem cells and neural progenitor cells...
- Okada Y, Ohira K. Population dynamics of neural progenitor cells during aging in the cerebral cortex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:182-187 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the extent of reduction of the density of NPCs in the cortices with higher cognitive functions may be less than that in the primary motor and somatosensory cortices. ..
- Chandrika G, Natesh K, Ranade D, Chugh A, Shastry P. Mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors, temsirolimus and torin 1, attenuate stemness-associated properties and expression of mesenchymal markers promoted by phorbol-myristate-acetate and oncostatin-M in glioblastoma cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317695921 pubmed publisher..The findings demonstrate the potential of mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors as "stemness-inhibiting drugs" and a promising therapeutic approach to target glioma stem cells. ..
- Li K, Cheng X, Jiang J, Wang J, Xie J, Hu X, et al. The toxic influence of paraquat on hippocampal neurogenesis in adult mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;106:356-366 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, paraquat reduced the phosphorylation of Akt, but did not affect the total amount of Akt. In conclusion, our findings suggest that paraquat negatively affected adult hippocampal neurogenesis and cognition function. ..
- Gkikas D, Tsampoula M, Politis P. Nuclear receptors in neural stem/progenitor cell homeostasis. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4097-4120 pubmed publisher..These studies establish nuclear receptors as key therapeutic targets in brain diseases. ..
- Li S, Koe C, Tay S, Tan A, Zhang S, Zhang Y, et al. An intrinsic mechanism controls reactivation of neural stem cells by spindle matrix proteins. Nat Commun. 2017;8:122 pubmed publisher..However, intrinsic mechanisms that reactivate Drosophila larval neural stem cells (NSCs) to exit from quiescence are not well established...
- Penn M, Mausner Fainberg K, Golan M, Karni A. High serum levels of BMP-2 correlate with BMP-4 and BMP-5 levels and induce reduced neuronal phenotype in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2017;310:120-128 pubmed publisher..morphogenetic protein (BMP) signaling is required for differentiation of neurons and oligodendrocytes from neural stem cells (NSCs)...
- Mangale V, Marro B, Plaisted W, Walsh C, Lane T. Neural precursor cells derived from induced pluripotent stem cells exhibit reduced susceptibility to infection with a neurotropic coronavirus. Virology. 2017;511:49-55 pubmed publisher..The relevance of this in terms of therapeutic application of NPCs resistant to viral infection is discussed. ..
- Ever since the discovery of neural stem cells in the mammalian brain, the possibility of brain tissue regeneration has captured the minds of scientists, clinicians, and the public...
- Mirsadeghi S, Shahbazi E, Hemmesi K, Nemati S, Baharvand H, Mirnajafi Zadeh J, et al. Development of membrane ion channels during neural differentiation from human embryonic stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:166-172 pubmed publisher..K+ currents were recorded in hESCs and rosette structure cells. Inward currents, sensitive to Nifedipine and QX314, were recorded in neuron-like cells. ..
- Yan Y, Wang X, Luo Q, Jiang L, Yang C, Hou B, et al. Metabolites from the mushroom Ganoderma lingzhi as stimulators of neural stem cell proliferation. Phytochemistry. 2015;114:155-62 pubmed..Several of the metabolites were found to promote proliferation of neural stem cells (NSCs) and, as such, they constitute a class of NSC stimulators...
- Lim S, Bhinge A, Bragado Alonso S, Aksoy I, Aprea J, Cheok C, et al. Cyclin-Dependent Kinase-Dependent Phosphorylation of Sox2 at Serine 39 Regulates Neurogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..In neural stem cells (NSCs), phosphorylation of S39 enhances the ability of Sox2 to negatively regulate neuronal differentiation, ..
- Song Y, Botvinnik O, Lovci M, Kakaradov B, Liu P, Xu J, et al. Single-Cell Alternative Splicing Analysis with Expedition Reveals Splicing Dynamics during Neuron Differentiation. Mol Cell. 2017;67:148-161.e5 pubmed publisher..Systematic AS characterization in single cells redefines our understanding of AS complexity in cell biology. ..
- Nguyen H, Hooshmand M, Saiwai H, Maddox J, Salehi A, Lakatos A, et al. Systemic Neutrophil Depletion Modulates the Migration and Fate of Transplanted Human Neural Stem Cells to Rescue Functional Repair. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9269-9287 pubmed publisher..Previously, we reported that delayed transplantation of human CNS-derived neural stem cells (hCNS-SCns) at 9 or 30 d post-SCI (dpi) resulted in extensive donor cell migration, predominantly neuronal ..
- Salinas S, Constant O, Desmetz C, Barthelemy J, Lemaitre J, Milhavet O, et al. Deleterious effect of Usutu virus on human neural cells. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005913 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the need to better characterize the physiopathology related to USUV infection in order to anticipate the potential threat of USUV emergence. ..
- Mi D, Li Z, Lim L, Li M, Moissidis M, Yang Y, et al. Early emergence of cortical interneuron diversity in the mouse embryo. Science. 2018;360:81-85 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that shortly after the interneurons become postmitotic, their diversity is already patent in their diverse transcriptional programs, which subsequently guide further differentiation in the developing cortex. ..
- Han D, Byun S, Kim J, Kwon M, Pleasure S, Ahn J, et al. Human Cytomegalovirus IE2 Protein Disturbs Brain Development by the Dysregulation of Neural Stem Cell Maintenance and the Polarization of Migrating Neurons. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the wide spectrum of clinical outcomes, ranging from mental retardation to microcephaly, caused by congenital HCMV infection can be sufficiently explained in terms of IE2 action alone. ..
- Zhang Z, Lei A, Xu L, Chen L, Chen Y, Zhang X, et al. Similarity in gene-regulatory networks suggests that cancer cells share characteristics of embryonic neural cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12842-12859 pubmed publisher..This observed similarity in regulatory mechanisms suggests that cancer cells might share characteristics of embryonic neural cells. ..
- Yang C, Samuels T, Huang Y, Yang L, Ish Horowicz D, Davis I, et al. Imp and Syp RNA-binding proteins govern decommissioning of Drosophila neural stem cells. Development. 2017;144:3454-3464 pubmed publisherThe termination of the proliferation of Drosophila neural stem cells, also known as neuroblasts (NBs), requires a 'decommissioning' phase that is controlled in a lineage-specific manner...
- Liu X, Zong W, Li T, Wang Y, Xu X, Zhou Z, et al. The E3 ubiquitin ligase APC/CCdh1 degrades MCPH1 after MCPH1-?TrCP2-Cdc25A-mediated mitotic entry to ensure neurogenesis. EMBO J. 2017;36:3666-3681 pubmed publisher..We previously showed that MCPH1 deletion in neural stem cells results in early mitotic entry that distracts cell division mode, leading to exhaustion of the progenitor ..
- SimÃµes S, Oh Y, Wang M, Fernandez Gonzalez R, Tepass U. Myosin II promotes the anisotropic loss of the apical domain during Drosophila neuroblast ingression. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1387-1404 pubmed publisher..We conclude that planar-polarized dynamic actomyosin networks drive apical constriction and the anisotropic loss of cell contacts during NB ingression. ..
- Slotkin T, Skavicus S, Stapleton H, Seidler F. Brominated and organophosphate flame retardants target different neurodevelopmental stages, characterized with embryonic neural stem cells and neuronotypic PC12 cells. Toxicology. 2017;390:32-42 pubmed publisher..using two in vitro models that assess distinct "decision nodes" in neural cell development: embryonic rat neural stem cells (NSCs), which evaluate the origination of neurons and glia from precursors, and rat neuronotypic PC12 cells, ..
- Qin J, Sikkema A, van der Bij K, de Jonge J, Klappe K, Nies V, et al. GD1a Overcomes Inhibition of Myelination by Fibronectin via Activation of Protein Kinase A: Implications for Multiple Sclerosis. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9925-9938 pubmed publisher..We propose that targeted delivery of GD1a to MS lesions may act as a potential novel molecular tool to boost maturation of resident OPCs to overcome remyelination failure and halt disease progression. ..
- Barazzuol L, Ju L, Jeggo P. A coordinated DNA damage response promotes adult quiescent neural stem cell activation. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001264 pubmed publisher..Further, we reveal different DNA damage responses between neonatal and adult neural stem cells (NSCs)...
- Ogawa Y, Kaizu K, Yanagi Y, Takada S, Sakuraba H, Oishi K. Abnormal differentiation of Sandhoff disease model mouse-derived multipotent stem cells toward a neural lineage. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178978 pubmed publisher..and development of a neural lineage in the asymptomatic phase of SD in vitro using SD mouse fetus-derived neural stem cells (NSCs) and SD-iPSCs...
- Matsuzaki K, Katakura M, Sugimoto N, Hara T, Hashimoto M, Shido O. Neural progenitor cell proliferation in the hypothalamus is involved in acquired heat tolerance in long-term heat-acclimated rats. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178787 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that heat exposure generates heat responsive neurons in the POA, suggesting a pivotal role in autonomic thermoregulation in long-term heat-acclimated rats. ..
- Oh Y, Zhang F, Wang Y, Lee E, Choi I, Lim H, et al. Zika virus directly infects peripheral neurons and induces cell death. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:1209-1212 pubmed publisher..Moreover, ZIKV productively infects stem-cell-derived human neural crest cells and peripheral neurons in vitro, leading to increased cell death, transcriptional dysregulation and cell-type-specific molecular pathology...
- Yoneyama T, Arai M, Akamine R, Koryudzu K, Tsuchiya A, Sadhu S, et al. Notch Inhibitors from Calotropis gigantea That Induce Neuronal Differentiation of Neural Stem Cells. J Nat Prod. 2017;80:2453-2461 pubmed publisher..For the potential treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, accelerators of neuronal differentiation of neural stem cells (NSCs) have been focused on and a cell-based assay system for measuring Notch signaling pathway activity was ..
- Yang Z, Jun H, Choi C, Yoo K, Cho C, Hussaini S, et al. Age-related decline in BubR1 impairs adult hippocampal neurogenesis. Aging Cell. 2017;16:598-601 pubmed publisher..Targeting BubR1 may represent a novel therapeutic strategy for age-related cognitive deficits. ..
- Yi L, Pimentel H, Pachter L. Zika infection of neural progenitor cells perturbs transcription in neurodevelopmental pathways. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175744 pubmed publisher..These signatures may be useful for diagnostics and for the resolution of infection pathways that can be used to harvest specific targets for further study. ..
- She A, Kurtser I, Reis S, Hennig K, Lai J, Lang A, et al. Selectivity and Kinetic Requirements of HDAC Inhibitors as Progranulin Enhancers for Treating Frontotemporal Dementia. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:892-906.e5 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for epigenetic and cis-regulatory mechanisms controlling human GRN expression and may advance translational efforts to develop targeted therapeutics for treating PGRN-deficient FTD. ..
- Ito S, Koso H, Sakamoto K, Watanabe S. RNA helicase DHX15 acts as a tumour suppressor in glioma. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1349-1359 pubmed publisher..DHX15 expression was lower in human glioma cell lines than in normal neural stem cells. Dhx15 knockdown resulted in enhanced proliferation of primary immortalised mouse astrocytes, supporting the ..
- Kanno H, Pearse D, Ozawa H, Itoi E, Bunge M. Schwann cell transplantation for spinal cord injury repair: its significant therapeutic potential and prospectus. Rev Neurosci. 2015;26:121-8 pubmed publisher..SCs and other types of cells such as olfactory ensheathing cells, bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells, and neural stem cells can be a more effective therapy than transplantation of SCs alone following SCI...
- Sabel M, Kalm M, Bjork Eriksson T, Lannering B, Blomgren K. Hypothermia after cranial irradiation protects neural progenitor cells in the subventricular zone but not in the hippocampus. Int J Radiat Biol. 2017;93:771-783 pubmed publisher..The number of microglia in the GCL did not change. Hypothermia immediately after irradiation protects the SVZ and its proliferative cell population but the GCL is not protected, one week post-irradiation. ..
- Beattie R, Postiglione M, Burnett L, Laukoter S, Streicher C, Pauler F, et al. Mosaic Analysis with Double Markers Reveals Distinct Sequential Functions of Lgl1 in Neural Stem Cells. Neuron. 2017;94:517-533.e3 pubmed publisherThe concerted production of neurons and glia by neural stem cells (NSCs) is essential for neural circuit assembly...
- Barry C, Schmitz M, Propson N, Hou Z, Zhang J, Nguyen B, et al. Uniform neural tissue models produced on synthetic hydrogels using standard culture techniques. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2017;242:1679-1689 pubmed publisher..Here, we report a strategy to produce uniform neural tissue constructs with reproducible global gene expression profiles for replicate samples from multiple experiments...
- Yu Y, Moberly A, Bhattarai J, Duan C, Zheng Q, Li F, et al. The Stem Cell Marker Lgr5 Defines a Subset of Postmitotic Neurons in the Olfactory Bulb. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9403-9414 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that Lgr5+ cells in the brain represent a nonstem cell lineage, implying distinct roles of Lgr5 in postmitotic neurons. ..
- Lakatos A, Goldberg N, Blurton Jones M. Integrated analysis of genetic, behavioral, and biochemical data implicates neural stem cell-induced changes in immunity, neurotransmission and mitochondrial function in Dementia with Lewy Body mice. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2017;5:21 pubmed publisherWe previously demonstrated that transplantation of murine neural stem cells (NSCs) can improve motor and cognitive function in a transgenic model of Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB)...
- Yu J, Guo Q, Mu J, Zhang T, Li R, Xie J. Nr2e1 Downregulation Is Involved in Excess Retinoic Acid-induced Developmental Abnormality in the Mouse Brain. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:185-193 pubmed publisher..The mouse model of brain abnormality was established by administering 28 mg/kg RA, and neural stem cells (NSCs) were isolated from the mouse embryo and cultured in vitro...
- Bulstrode H, Johnstone E, Marqués Torrejón M, Ferguson K, Bressan R, Blin C, et al. Elevated FOXG1 and SOX2 in glioblastoma enforces neural stem cell identity through transcriptional control of cell cycle and epigenetic regulators. Genes Dev. 2017;31:757-773 pubmed publisher..Thus, FOXG1 and SOX2 operate in complementary but distinct roles to fuel unconstrained self-renewal in GBM stem cells via transcriptional control of core cell cycle and epigenetic regulators. ..
- Roberson S, Halpern M. Convergence of signaling pathways underlying habenular formation and axonal outgrowth in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:2652-2662 pubmed publisher..The results define a signaling network underlying the generation of dHb neurons and connectivity with their midbrain target. ..
- Nakagawa N, Li J, Yabuno Nakagawa K, Eom T, Cowles M, Mapp T, et al. APC sets the Wnt tone necessary for cerebral cortical progenitor development. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1679-1692 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that APC-regulated ?-catenin activity in cortical progenitors sets the appropriate Wnt tone necessary for normal cerebral cortical development. ..
- Behar R, Davis B, Wang Y, Bahl V, Lin S, Talbot P. Identification of toxicants in cinnamon-flavored electronic cigarette refill fluids. Toxicol In Vitro. 2014;28:198-208 pubmed..Duplicate bottles of the same product were similar, but varied in their concentrations of 2MOCA. These data show that the cinnamon flavorings in refill fluids are linked to cytotoxicity, which could adversely affect EC users. ..
- Lu L, Zhou H, Pan B, Li X, Fu Z, Liu J, et al. c-Jun Amino-Terminal Kinase is Involved in Valproic Acid-Mediated Neuronal Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic NSCs and Neurite Outgrowth of NSC-Derived Neurons. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:1254-1266 pubmed publisher..system (CNS) injuries; however, comparatively little is known regarding its action on mouse embryonic neural stem cells (NSCs) and the underlying molecular mechanism...
- Castilla Ortega E, Ladrón de Guevara Miranda D, Serrano A, Pavón F, Suarez J, Rodriguez de Fonseca F, et al. The impact of cocaine on adult hippocampal neurogenesis: Potential neurobiological mechanisms and contributions to maladaptive cognition in cocaine addiction disorder. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;141:100-117 pubmed publisher..Based on the evidence presented here, the regulation of adult hippocampal neurogenesis might be one of the many mechanisms by which cocaine sculpts hippocampus-dependent learning. ..
- Nandi S, Gutin G, Blackwood C, Kamatkar N, Lee K, Fishell G, et al. FGF-Dependent, Context-Driven Role for FRS Adapters in the Early Telencephalon. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5690-5698 pubmed publisher..Differential engagement of FRS and non-FRS intracellular adapters downstream of FGFRs could therefore in principle explain how FGFs play several distinct roles in other developing tissues and developmental stages. ..
- An Y, Xue G, Shaobo Y, Mingxi D, Zhou X, Yu W, et al. Apical constriction is driven by a pulsatile apical myosin network in delaminating Drosophila neuroblasts. Development. 2017;144:2153-2164 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that a contractile actomyosin network across the apical cell surface is organized to drive apical constriction in delaminating neuroblasts. ..
- Apple D, Solano Fonseca R, Kokovay E. Neurogenesis in the aging brain. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;141:77-85 pubmed publisherAdult neurogenesis is the process of producing new neurons from neural stem cells (NSCs) for integration into the brain circuitry...
- Salado I, Zaldivar Diez J, Sebastian Perez V, Li L, Geiger L, Gonzalez S, et al. Leucine rich repeat kinase 2 (LRRK2) inhibitors based on indolinone scaffold: Potential pro-neurogenic agents. Eur J Med Chem. 2017;138:328-342 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the indolinone derivatives here prepared, inhibitors of the kinase activity of LRRK2, may be considered as pharmacological probes to study the potential neuroregeneration of the damaged brain. ..
- Watanabe Y, Nakajima K, Mizukami S, Akahori Y, Imatanaka N, Woo G, et al. Differential effects between developmental and postpubertal exposure to N-methyl-N-nitrosourea on progenitor cell proliferation of rat hippocampal neurogenesis in relation to COX2 expression in granule cells. Toxicology. 2017;389:55-66 pubmed publisher..Thus, the disrupted pattern of hippocampal neurogenesis induced by MNU is different between developmental and postpubertal exposure. ..
- Assinck P, Duncan G, Plemel J, Lee M, Stratton J, Manesh S, et al. Myelinogenic Plasticity of Oligodendrocyte Precursor Cells following Spinal Cord Contusion Injury. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8635-8654 pubmed publisher..These findings are relevant to many types of CNS pathology, raising the possibility that CNS precursors could be manipulated to repair myelin in lieu of glial transplantation. ..