Genomes and Genes
neoplastic stem cells
Summary: Highly proliferative, self-renewing, and colony-forming stem cells which give rise to NEOPLASMS.
- Woywod C, Gruber F, Engh R, Flå T. Dynamical models of mutated chronic myelogenous leukemia cells for a post-imatinib treatment scenario: Response to dasatinib or nilotinib therapy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179700 pubmed publisher..A bifurcation landscape analysis is also performed for solutions to the basic ansatz. Computational models reproducing patient data illustrate potential dynamic mechanisms that may guide optimization of therapy of drug resistant CML. ..
- Ruscito I, Cacsire Castillo Tong D, Vergote I, Ignat I, Stanske M, Vanderstichele A, et al. Exploring the clonal evolution of CD133/aldehyde-dehydrogenase-1 (ALDH1)-positive cancer stem-like cells from primary to recurrent high-grade serous ovarian cancer (HGSOC). A study of the Ovarian Cancer Therapy-Innovative Models Prolong Survival (OCT. Eur J Cancer. 2017;79:214-225 pubmed publisher
- Wang X, Huang Z, Wu Q, Prager B, Mack S, Yang K, et al. MYC-Regulated Mevalonate Metabolism Maintains Brain Tumor-Initiating Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4947-4960 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results argue that MYC mediates its oncogenic effects in part by altering mevalonate metabolism in glioma cells, suggesting a therapeutic strategy in this setting. Cancer Res; 77(18); 4947-60. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Knutson T, Truong T, Ma S, Brady N, Sullivan M, Raj G, et al. Posttranslationally modified progesterone receptors direct ligand-specific expression of breast cancer stem cell-associated gene programs. J Hematol Oncol. 2017;10:89 pubmed publisher..e., with antiestrogens) endocrine therapies designed to durably block breast cancer recurrence. ..
- Issa M, Takhsha F, Chirumamilla C, Perez Novo C, Vanden Berghe W, Cuendet M. Epigenetic strategies to reverse drug resistance in heterogeneous multiple myeloma. Clin Epigenetics. 2017;9:17 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize epigenetic strategies to reverse drug resistance in heterogeneous multiple myeloma. ..
- Stamatakos G, Dionysiou D, Lunzer A, Belleman R, Kolokotroni E, Georgiadi E, et al. The technologically integrated oncosimulator: combining multiscale cancer modeling with information technology in the in silico oncology context. IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2014;18:840-54 pubmed publisher..Indicative results demonstrating various aspects of the clinical adaptation and validation process are presented. Completion of these processes is expected to pave the way for the clinical translation of the system. ..
- Strubberg A, Madison B. MicroRNAs in the etiology of colorectal cancer: pathways and clinical implications. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:197-214 pubmed publisher..MiRNAs also represent attractive candidates for targeted therapies because their function can be manipulated through the use of synthetic antagonists and miRNA mimics. ..
- Fonseca N, Cruz A, Moura V, Simoes S, Moreira J. The cancer stem cell phenotype as a determinant factor of the heterotypic nature of breast tumors. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017;113:111-121 pubmed publisher..Within this framework, we will discuss nucleolin, a protein that has been associated with angiogenesis and, more recently, with the stemness phenotype, becoming a common denominator between CSC and non-SCC for multicellular targeting. ..
- Xun J, Wang D, Shen L, Gong J, Gao R, Du L, et al. JMJD3 suppresses stem cell-like characteristics in breast cancer cells by downregulation of Oct4 independently of its demethylase activity. Oncotarget. 2017;8:21918-21929 pubmed publisher..Administration of paricalcitol leads to upregulation of JMJD3 that suppresses Oct4 expression and the stem cell-like characteristics in breast cancer. ..
- Chen K, Liu X, Bu P, Lin C, Rakhilin N, Locasale J, et al. A metabolic signature of colon cancer initiating cells. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014;2014:4759-62 pubmed publisher..Analyses of the alterations further suggest an epigenetic link. This metabolic signature provides mechanistic insights into CCIC phenotypes and may serve as potential biomarkers and therapeutic targets for future CRC treatment. ..
- Cui Y, Cui C, Yang Z, Ni W, Jin Y, Xuan Y. Gli1 expression in cancer stem-like cells predicts poor prognosis in patients with lung squamous cell carcinoma. Exp Mol Pathol. 2017;102:347-353 pubmed publisher..026). Our results suggest that Gli1 may be a potential LSCC stem cell marker and an independent indicator of poor prognosis for patients with LSCC. ..
- Santos Franco S, Raveh Amit H, Kobolak J, Alqahtani M, Mobasheri A, Dinnyes A. The crossroads between cancer stem cells and aging. BMC Cancer. 2015;15 Suppl 1:S1 pubmed publisher..We present evidence from the scientific literature for age-related genetic and epigenetic alterations leading to cancer and discuss the main challenges in the field. ..
- Jariwala N, Rajasekaran D, Mendoza R, Shen X, Siddiq A, Akiel M, et al. Oncogenic Role of SND1 in Development and Progression of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3306-3316 pubmed publisher..Our work establishes an oncogenic role for SND1 in promoting TIC formation and highlights pdTp as a highly selective SND1 inhibitor as a candidate therapeutic lead to treat advanced HCC. Cancer Res; 77(12); 3306-16. ©2017 AACR. ..
- De Sousa E Melo F, Kurtova A, Harnoss J, Kljavin N, Hoeck J, Hung J, et al. A distinct role for Lgr5+ stem cells in primary and metastatic colon cancer. Nature. 2017;543:676-680 pubmed publisher..Together, our data highlight distinct CSC dependencies for primary versus metastasic tumour growth, and suggest that targeting CSCs may represent a therapeutic opportunity for managing metastatic disease. ..
- Kiyohara M, Dillard C, Tsui J, Kim S, Lu J, Sachdev D, et al. EMP2 is a novel therapeutic target for endometrial cancer stem cells. Oncogene. 2017;36:5793-5807 pubmed publisher..Our results collectively suggest that anti-EMP2 therapy may be a novel method of reducing endometrial cancer stem cells. ..
- Werner S, Stenzl A, Pantel K, Todenhöfer T. Expression of Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition and Cancer Stem Cell Markers in Circulating Tumor Cells. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;994:205-228 pubmed publisher..However, there is still a lack of evidence on the association of these markers with functional features and characteristics for stem cells and cells undergoing EMT. ..
- Zhang Z, Lei A, Xu L, Chen L, Chen Y, Zhang X, et al. Similarity in gene-regulatory networks suggests that cancer cells share characteristics of embryonic neural cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12842-12859 pubmed publisher..This observed similarity in regulatory mechanisms suggests that cancer cells might share characteristics of embryonic neural cells. ..
- Rohira A, Yan F, Wang L, Wang J, Zhou S, Lu A, et al. Targeting SRC Coactivators Blocks the Tumor-Initiating Capacity of Cancer Stem-like Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4293-4304 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(16); 4293-304. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Mahati S, Bolati D, Yang Y, Mao R, Zhang H, Bao Y. TMPRSS4 promotes cancer stem cell traits by regulating CLDN1 in hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:906-912 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results revealed that CLDN1 contributed to CSC features of HCC, which was altered by TMPRSS4 expression via ERK1/2 signaling pathway, providing promising targets for novel specific therapies. ..
- Rashid A, Hasan O, Siddique U, Tahar S. Formal reasoning about systems biology using theorem proving. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180179 pubmed publisher..e., the pathway leading to TP53 Phosphorylation, the pathway leading to the death of cancer stem cells and the tumor growth based on cancer stem cells, which is used for the prognosis and future drug designs to treat cancer patients. ..
- Dawood S, Austin L, Cristofanilli M. Cancer stem cells: implications for cancer therapy. Oncology (Williston Park). 2014;28:1101-7, 1110 pubmed
- Chaudhary A, Mondal G, Kumar V, Kattel K, Mahato R. Chemosensitization and inhibition of pancreatic cancer stem cell proliferation by overexpression of microRNA-205. Cancer Lett. 2017;402:1-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings suggest that miR-205 resensitizes GEM-resistant pancreatic cancer cells to GEM and acts as a tumor suppressor miRNA. ..
- Giessler K, Kleinheinz K, Huebschmann D, Balasubramanian G, Dubash T, Dieter S, et al. Genetic subclone architecture of tumor clone-initiating cells in colorectal cancer. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2073-2088 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that functional heterogeneity is, at least frequently, present within genomic subclones and independent of mutational subclone differences. ..
- Allam H, Johnson B, Zhang M, Lu Z, Cannon M, Abbott K. The glycosyltransferase GnT-III activates Notch signaling and drives stem cell expansion to promote the growth and invasion of ovarian cancer. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16351-16359 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a new role for bisecting glycosylation in the control of Notch transport and demonstrate the therapeutic potential of inhibiting GnT-III as a treatment for controlling EOC growth and recurrence. ..
- Seto K, Sakabe T, Itaba N, Azumi J, Oka H, Morimoto M, et al. A Novel Small-molecule WNT Inhibitor, IC-2, Has the Potential to Suppress Liver Cancer Stem Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3569-3579 pubmed..The novel derivative of small-molecule WNT inhibitor, IC-2, has the potential to suppress liver CSCs and can serve as a promising therapeutic agent to improve the prognosis of patients with HCC. ..
- Klumper E, Pieters R, Veerman A, Huismans D, Loonen A, Hahlen K, et al. In vitro cellular drug resistance in children with relapsed/refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 1995;86:3861-8 pubmed..We conclude that drug resistance may explain the poor prognosis for children with relapsed/refractory ALL. These day may be helpful to design alternative treatment regimens for relapsed childhood ALL. ..
- Wang Y, Zhou Y, Tao F, Chai S, Xu X, Yang Y, et al. N-myc downstream regulated gene 1(NDRG1) promotes the stem-like properties of lung cancer cells through stabilized c-Myc. Cancer Lett. 2017;401:53-62 pubmed publisher..Finally, we confirmed that NDRG1 was negatively correlated with survival and prognosis. Thus, our findings indicate that NDRG1 is a potential target for eradicating TICs in NSCLC. ..
- Sneha S, Nagare R, Priya S, Sidhanth C, Pors K, Ganesan T. Therapeutic antibodies against cancer stem cells: a promising approach. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2017;66:1383-1398 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the potential of improving treatment efficacy using functional antibodies against CSCs, which could be combined with chemotherapy in the future. ..
- Lipinska N, Romaniuk A, Paszel Jaworska A, Toton E, Kopczynski P, Rubis B. Telomerase and drug resistance in cancer. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4121-4132 pubmed publisher..We believe that revealing/unravelling this correlation might significantly contribute to an increased efficiency of cancer cells elimination, especially the most difficult ones, i.e., drug resistant. ..
- Li M, Yang J, Zhou W, Ren Y, Wang X, Chen H, et al. Activation of an AKT/FOXM1/STMN1 pathway drives resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitors in lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:974-983 pubmed publisher..Our findings elucidate an additional common mechanism for TKI resistance and provide a promising therapeutic target for reversing TKI resistance in NSCLC. ..
- Atkinson R, Yang W, Rosen D, Landis M, Wong H, Lewis M, et al. Cancer stem cell markers are enriched in normal tissue adjacent to triple negative breast cancer and inversely correlated with DNA repair deficiency. Breast Cancer Res. 2013;15:R77 pubmed..Validation of these results in additional studies of normal tissue from cancer-free women could lay the foundation for future targeted triple negative breast cancer prevention strategies. ..
- Chang K, Huang C, Hsu T, Hsu C, Liu J, Chuang C, et al. Stress stimuli induce cancer-stemness gene expression via Sp1 activation leading to therapeutic resistance in glioblastoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:14-19 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sp1 inhibition may prevent recurrence of malignant cells persisting after primary therapy. ..
- Suijkerbuijk S, van Rheenen J. From good to bad: Intravital imaging of the hijack of physiological processes by cancer cells. Dev Biol. 2017;428:328-337 pubmed publisher..We describe how visualization of these dynamic processes in living mice has broadened to our view on cancer initiation and progression. ..
- Wang D, Sun H, Wei J, Cen B, DuBois R. CXCL1 Is Critical for Premetastatic Niche Formation and Metastasis in Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3655-3665 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our work also provides a rationale for development of CXCR2 antagonists to inhibit or prevent metastatic spread of disease. Cancer Res; 77(13); 3655-65. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Lee J, Park M, Ko Y, Kim B, Kim O, Hyun H, et al. Ectopic overexpression of CD133 in HNSCC makes it resistant to commonly used chemotherapeutics. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317695534 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings show that elevated levels of CD133 lead to HNSCC chemoresistance through increased stemness and cell cycle arrest. ..
- Hayashi T, Yamashita T, Okada H, Oishi N, Sunagozaka H, Nio K, et al. A Novel mTOR Inhibitor; Anthracimycin for the Treatment of Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3397-3403 pubmed
- Sanchez Diaz P, Chang J, Moses E, Dao T, Chen Y, Hung J. Ubiquitin carboxyl-terminal esterase L1 (UCHL1) is associated with stem-like cancer cell functions in pediatric high-grade glioma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176879 pubmed publisher..UCHL1 might act as an oncogene in glioma within the gene network that imparts stem-like characteristics to these cancer cells. ..
- Lv Y, Wang T, Fan J, Zhang Z, Zhang J, Xu C, et al. The effects and mechanisms of SLC34A2 on maintaining stem cell-like phenotypes in CD147+ breast cancer stem cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317695927 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our report identifies a novel role of SLC34A2 in BCSCs' state regulation and establishes a rationale for targeting the SLC34A2/PI3K/AKT/SOX2 signaling pathway for breast cancer therapy. ..
- Gasch C, Ffrench B, O Leary J, Gallagher M. Catching moving targets: cancer stem cell hierarchies, therapy-resistance & considerations for clinical intervention. Mol Cancer. 2017;16:43 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we discuss strategies through which we can catch these moving clinical targets to specifically compromise therapy-resistant disease. ..
- Lin X, Li J, Yin G, Zhao Q, Elias D, Lykkesfeldt A, et al. Integrative analyses of gene expression and DNA methylation profiles in breast cancer cell line models of tamoxifen-resistance indicate a potential role of cells with stem-like properties. Breast Cancer Res. 2013;15:R119 pubmed publisher..Illuminating the expression and DNA methylation features of putative cancer-initiating cells/cancer stem cells may suggest novel strategies to overcome tamoxifen resistance. ..
- Sciacovelli M, Frezza C. Metabolic reprogramming and epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in cancer. FEBS J. 2017;284:3132-3144 pubmed publisher..We also put forward the hypothesis that, by altering chromatin structure and function, metabolic pathways engaged by EMT are necessary for its full activation. ..
- Wan Y, Fei X, Wang Z, Jiang D, Chen H, Wang M, et al. miR-423-5p knockdown enhances the sensitivity of glioma stem cells to apigenin through the mitochondrial pathway. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317695526 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study indicates that downregulation of miR-423-5p enhances the sensitivity of glioma stem cells to apigenin through the mitochondrial pathway. ..