Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cells of epithelial origin possessing specialized sensory functions. They include cells that are found in the TASTE BUDS; OLFACTORY MUCOSA; COCHLEA; and NEUROEPITHELIAL BODIES.
- Xiao J, Jones Brando L, Talbot C, Yolken R. Differential effects of three canonical Toxoplasma strains on gene expression in human neuroepithelial cells. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1363-73 pubmed publisher..We found that the extents of the expression changes varied considerably among the three strains. Neuroepithelial cells infected with Toxoplasma type I exhibited the highest level of differential gene expression, whereas type ..
- Wang W, Liu W, Wang Y, Zhou L, Tang X, Luo H. Notch signaling regulates neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and neuroblast formation in Drosophila optic lobe development. Dev Biol. 2011;350:414-28 pubmed publisher..Loss of function in Notch or its ligand Delta leads to loss of the lamina and a smaller medulla. The neuroepithelial cells in the optic lobe in Notch or Delta mutant brains do not expand but instead differentiate prematurely into ..
- Buron G, Hacquemand R, Pourie G, Brand G. Inhalation exposure to acetone induces selective damage on olfactory neuroepithelium in mice. Neurotoxicology. 2009;30:114-20 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that acetone exposure induces selective damage in olfactory neuroepithelium. ..
- Afonso C, Henrique D. PAR3 acts as a molecular organizer to define the apical domain of chick neuroepithelial cells. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4293-304 pubmed..PAR3 functions as the initial scaffold to assemble and organize the PAR complex at the apical region of neuroepithelial cells, coordinating also the recruitment of additional polarity complexes and junction-associated proteins to ..
- Reugels A, Boggetti B, Scheer N, Campos Ortega J. Asymmetric localization of Numb:EGFP in dividing neuroepithelial cells during neurulation in Danio rerio. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:934-48 pubmed..cell fate determinant Numb, and analyzed the localization of EGFP fusion proteins in vivo in dividing neuroepithelial cells during neurulation...
- Wada H, Tanaka H, Nakayama S, Iwasaki M, Okamoto H. Frizzled3a and Celsr2 function in the neuroepithelium to regulate migration of facial motor neurons in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:4749-59 pubmed..we show that expression of the off-limits/frizzled3a (olt/fz3a) and off-road/celsr2 (ord/celsr2) genes in neuroepithelial cells maintains the facial (nVII) motor neurons near the pial surface during their caudal migration in the ..
- Herzog D, Loetscher P, van Hengel J, Knüsel S, Brakebusch C, Taylor V, et al. The small GTPase RhoA is required to maintain spinal cord neuroepithelium organization and the neural stem cell pool. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5120-30 pubmed publisher..and premature cell-cycle exit, reduction of the neural stem cell pool size, and the infiltration of neuroepithelial cells into the lumen of the ventricle...
- Saltys H, Jonz M, Nurse C. Comparative study of gill neuroepithelial cells and their innervation in teleosts and Xenopus tadpoles. Cell Tissue Res. 2006;323:1-10 pubmed..Morphological and physiological evidence suggests that, in fish, neuroepithelial cells (NECs) of the gill perform this role...
- Rapacioli M, Duarte S, Rodriguez Celin A, Fiore L, Teruel L, Scicolone G, et al. Optic tectum morphogenesis: a step-by-step model based on the temporal-spatial organization of the cell proliferation. Significance of deterministic and stochastic components subsumed in the spatial organization. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1043-61 pubmed publisher..The stochastic component reveals short-range anti-correlations reflecting spatial clusterization and synchronization between neighboring cells. ..
- Ohata S, Aoki R, Kinoshita S, Yamaguchi M, Tsuruoka Kinoshita S, Tanaka H, et al. Dual roles of Notch in regulation of apically restricted mitosis and apicobasal polarity of neuroepithelial cells. Neuron. 2011;69:215-30 pubmed publisher..Notch play key roles in a positive feedback loop to maintain the apicobasal polarity and the apical-high basal-low gradient of Notch activity in neuroepithelial cells, both of which are essential for their apically restricted mitosis.
- Shin S, Mitalipova M, Noggle S, Tibbitts D, Venable A, Rao R, et al. Long-term proliferation of human embryonic stem cell-derived neuroepithelial cells using defined adherent culture conditions. Stem Cells. 2006;24:125-38 pubmed..NEP cells were continuously propagated for longer than 6 months without losing their multipotent cell characteristics and maintained a stable chromosome number. ..
- Morin X, Jaouen F, Durbec P. Control of planar divisions by the G-protein regulator LGN maintains progenitors in the chick neuroepithelium. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1440-8 pubmed..Hence, tight control of planar spindle orientation maintains neural progenitors in the neuroepithelium, and regulates the proper development of the nervous system. ..
- Schröder J, Tegeler M, Grosshans U, Porten E, Blank M, Lee J, et al. Dystroglycan regulates structure, proliferation and differentiation of neuroepithelial cells in the developing vertebrate CNS. Dev Biol. 2007;307:62-78 pubmedIn the developing CNS alpha- and beta-dystroglycan are highly concentrated in the endfeet of radial neuroepithelial cells at the contact site to the basal lamina...
- Ngo K, Wang J, Junker M, Kriz S, Vo G, Asem B, et al. Concomitant requirement for Notch and Jak/Stat signaling during neuro-epithelial differentiation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Dev Biol. 2010;346:284-95 pubmed publisher..In the early larva, the optic anlagen grow as epithelia by symmetric cell division. Subsequently, neuroepithelial cells (NE) convert into neuroblasts (NB) in a tightly regulated spatio-temporal progression that starts at the ..
- Cappello S, Attardo A, Wu X, Iwasato T, Itohara S, Wilsch Bräuninger M, et al. The Rho-GTPase cdc42 regulates neural progenitor fate at the apical surface. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:1099-107 pubmed..These cells then undergo mitoses at basal positions and acquire the fate of basal progenitors. Thus, cdc42 has a crucial role at the apical pole of progenitors, thereby regulating the position of mitoses and cell fate. ..
- Grant P, Moens C. The neuroepithelial basement membrane serves as a boundary and a substrate for neuron migration in the zebrafish hindbrain. Neural Dev. 2010;5:9 pubmed publisher..Here we examine the role of the PAR-aPKC complex in forming the basal structures that guide facial branchiomotor neurons on an appropriate migratory path...
- Kondo K, Watanabe K, Sakamoto T, Suzukawa K, Nibu K, Kaga K, et al. Distribution and severity of spontaneous lesions in the neuroepithelium and Bowman's glands in mouse olfactory mucosa: age-related progression. Cell Tissue Res. 2009;335:489-503 pubmed publisher..neurons (ORNs) were present but in smaller amounts, the numbers of betaIIIT-positive and Ki67-positive neuroepithelial cells tended to be increased, indicating that neurogenesis was upregulated in these areas...
- Roszko I, Afonso C, Henrique D, Mathis L. Key role played by RhoA in the balance between planar and apico-basal cell divisions in the chick neuroepithelium. Dev Biol. 2006;298:212-24 pubmed..B. (2004). Asymmetric distribution of the apical plasma membrane during neurogenic divisions of mammalian neuroepithelial cells. EMBO J. 23, 2314-24)...
- Wakamatsu Y, Nakamura N, Lee J, Cole G, Osumi N. Transitin, a nestin-like intermediate filament protein, mediates cortical localization and the lateral transport of Numb in mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells. Development. 2007;134:2425-33 pubmed..show that an intermediate filament protein, transitin, colocalizes with Numb in the cell cortex of mitotic neuroepithelial cells, and that transitin anchors Numb via a physical interaction...
- Suter D, Tirefort D, Julien S, Krause K. A Sox1 to Pax6 switch drives neuroectoderm to radial glia progression during differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:49-58 pubmed publisher..progenitor stage, whereas Pax6 knockdown decreased formation of radial glia; (d) forced Pax6 expression in neuroepithelial cells triggered their differentiation into radial glia and neurons; and (e) Pax6 expression induced cell ..
- Takanaga H, Tsuchida Straeten N, Nishide K, Watanabe A, Aburatani H, Kondo T. Gli2 is a novel regulator of sox2 expression in telencephalic neuroepithelial cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:165-74 pubmed publisher..Thus these data reveal a novel transcriptional cascade, involving Gli2 --> Sox2 --> Hes5, which maintains the undifferentiated state of telencephalic NE cells. ..
- Cholfin J, Rubenstein J. Frontal cortex subdivision patterning is coordinately regulated by Fgf8, Fgf17, and Emx2. J Comp Neurol. 2008;509:144-55 pubmed publisher..We have integrated our results to propose a model for how fibroblast growth factors regulate FC patterning through regulation of regional transcription factor expression within the FC anlage. ..
- Reddy B, Rauskolb C, Irvine K. Influence of fat-hippo and notch signaling on the proliferation and differentiation of Drosophila optic neuroepithelia. Development. 2010;137:2397-408 pubmed publisherThe Drosophila optic lobe develops from neuroepithelial cells, which function as symmetrically dividing neural progenitors...
- Regan K, Jonz M, Wright P. Neuroepithelial cells and the hypoxia emersion response in the amphibious fish Kryptolebias marmoratus. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:2560-8 pubmed publisherTeleost fish have oxygen-sensitive neuroepithelial cells (NECs) in the gills that appear to mediate physiological responses to hypoxia, but little is known about oxygen sensing in amphibious fish...
- Kamimoto Y, Sugiyama T, Kihira T, Zhang L, Murabayashi N, Umekawa T, et al. Transgenic mice overproducing human thioredoxin-1, an antioxidative and anti-apoptotic protein, prevents diabetic embryopathy. Diabetologia. 2010;53:2046-55 pubmed publisher..Using transgenic mice that overproduce human TRX-1 (TRX-Tg mice), we examined whether oxidative stress is involved in fetal dysmorphogenesis in diabetic pregnancies...
- Baye L, Link B. Interkinetic nuclear migration and the selection of neurogenic cell divisions during vertebrate retinogenesis. J Neurosci. 2007;27:10143-52 pubmed..that various parameters of interkinetic nuclear migration are significantly heterogeneous among retinal neuroepithelial cells. We provide direct evidence that neurogenic progenitors have greater basal nuclei migrations during the ..
- Kosodo Y, Toida K, Dubreuil V, Alexandre P, Schenk J, Kiyokage E, et al. Cytokinesis of neuroepithelial cells can divide their basal process before anaphase. EMBO J. 2008;27:3151-63 pubmed publisher..The splitting of the basal process of M-phase NE cells has implications for cleavage plane orientation and the relationship between mitosis and cytokinesis. ..
- von Trotha J, Campos Ortega J, Reugels A. Apical localization of ASIP/PAR-3:EGFP in zebrafish neuroepithelial cells involves the oligomerization domain CR1, the PDZ domains, and the C-terminal portion of the protein. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:967-77 pubmed..the PDZ domains of ASIP/PAR-3:EGFP are involved in its localization to the apical membrane in zebrafish neuroepithelial cells. We further show that the C-terminal part of ASIP/PAR-3 contributes to proper localization and that the ..
- Del Bene F, Wehman A, Link B, Baier H. Regulation of neurogenesis by interkinetic nuclear migration through an apical-basal notch gradient. Cell. 2008;134:1055-65 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the function of INM is to balance the exposure of progenitor nuclei to neurogenic versus proliferative signals. ..
- Elkabetz Y, Panagiotakos G, Al Shamy G, Socci N, Tabar V, Studer L. Human ES cell-derived neural rosettes reveal a functionally distinct early neural stem cell stage. Genes Dev. 2008;22:152-65 pubmed publisher..In addition, the R-NSC-specific genetic markers presented here offer new tools for harnessing the differentiation potential of human ESCs. ..
- Konno D, Shioi G, Shitamukai A, Mori A, Kiyonari H, Miyata T, et al. Neuroepithelial progenitors undergo LGN-dependent planar divisions to maintain self-renewability during mammalian neurogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:93-101 pubmedDuring mammalian development, neuroepithelial cells function as mitotic progenitors, which self-renew and generate neurons...
- García Domínguez D, Morello D, Cisneros E, Kontoyiannis D, Frade J. Stabilization of Dll1 mRNA by Elavl1/HuR in neuroepithelial cells undergoing mitosis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1227-39 pubmed publisher..Here we show that Elav-like (Elavl1)/HuR becomes enriched in the cytoplasm of neuroepithelial cells undergoing mitosis and that this ribonucleoprotein interacts with the 3' untranslated region (UTR) of Dll1 ..
- Kosodo Y, Röper K, Haubensak W, Marzesco A, Corbeil D, Huttner W. Asymmetric distribution of the apical plasma membrane during neurogenic divisions of mammalian neuroepithelial cells. EMBO J. 2004;23:2314-24 pubmedAt the onset of neurogenesis in the mammalian central nervous system, neuroepithelial cells switch from symmetric, proliferative to asymmetric, neurogenic divisions...
- Roberts R, Appel B. Apical polarity protein PrkCi is necessary for maintenance of spinal cord precursors in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1638-48 pubmed publisher..We conclude that PrkCi function and planar divisions are necessary for asymmetric, self-renewing division of spinal cord precursors. ..
- Davies D. Cell-extracellular matrix versus cell-cell interactions during the development of the cochlear-vestibular ganglion. J Neurosci Res. 2011;89:1375-87 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the balance between cell-cell and cell-substratum interactions directs otic neuroblast migration and gangliogenesis. ..
- Imai F, Hirai S, Akimoto K, Koyama H, Miyata T, Ogawa M, et al. Inactivation of aPKClambda results in the loss of adherens junctions in neuroepithelial cells without affecting neurogenesis in mouse neocortex. Development. 2006;133:1735-44 pubmed..the loss of adherens junctions and cell cycle exit represent crucial steps in the differentiation of neuroepithelial cells into neurons, but the relationship between these cellular events remains obscure...
- Peyre E, Jaouen F, Saadaoui M, Haren L, Merdes A, Durbec P, et al. A lateral belt of cortical LGN and NuMA guides mitotic spindle movements and planar division in neuroepithelial cells. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:141-54 pubmed publisher..live imaging of GFP-labeled centrosomes to investigate the dynamics of spindle orientation in chick neuroepithelial cells. The mitotic spindle displays stereotypic movements during metaphase, with an active phase of planar ..
- Egger B, Boone J, Stevens N, Brand A, Doe C. Regulation of spindle orientation and neural stem cell fate in the Drosophila optic lobe. Neural Dev. 2007;2:1 pubmed..imaging to show that there are two populations of progenitors in the optic lobe: symmetrically dividing neuroepithelial cells and asymmetrically dividing neuroblasts...
- Cisneros E, Latasa M, Garcia Flores M, Frade J. Instability of Notch1 and Delta1 mRNAs and reduced Notch activity in vertebrate neuroepithelial cells undergoing S-phase. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:820-31 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that the capacity of vertebrate neural precursors to express neurogenic genes and trigger lateral inhibitory signals is functionally coordinated with the cell cycle. ..
- Zolessi F, Poggi L, Wilkinson C, Chien C, Harris W. Polarization and orientation of retinal ganglion cells in vivo. Neural Dev. 2006;1:2 pubmed..Mosaic analysis in four dimensions, using mutants in which neuroepithelial polarity is disrupted, indicates that extrinsic factors such as access to the basal lamina are critical for normal axon emergence from RGCs in vivo. ..
- Wang W, Li Y, Zhou L, Yue H, Luo H. Role of JAK/STAT signaling in neuroepithelial stem cell maintenance and proliferation in the Drosophila optic lobe. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:714-20 pubmed publisher..In loss-of-function JAK/STAT mutant brains, the neuroepithelial cells lose epithelial cell characters and differentiate prematurely while ectopic activation of this pathway is ..
- Young K, Fogarty M, Kessaris N, Richardson W. Subventricular zone stem cells are heterogeneous with respect to their embryonic origins and neurogenic fates in the adult olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2007;27:8286-96 pubmed..This could have important implications for the design of endogenous stem cell-based therapies in the future. ..
- Gallus L, Ferrando S, Bottaro M, Girosi L, Ramoino P, Diaspro A, et al. Distribution of choline acetyltransferase immunoreactivity in the alimentary tract of the barnacle Balanus amphitrite (Cirripedia, Crustacea). Neurosci Lett. 2006;409:230-3 pubmed..Our results point out the presence of neuroepithelial cells also in the gut epithelium of barnacles; moreover, for the first time, a cholinergic feature is suggested ..
- Hazel T, Muller T. Culture of neuroepithelial stem cells. Curr Protoc Neurosci. 2001;Chapter 3:Unit 3.1 pubmed publisher..A procedure for treating tissue culture dishes with poly-L-ornithine and fibronectin, which is necessary before the dishes are used for neuroepithelial stem cell culture, is also included. ..
- Ding Y, He D, Florentin D, Frolov A, Hilsenbeck S, Ittmann M, et al. Semaphorin 4F as a critical regulator of neuroepithelial interactions and a biomarker of aggressive prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:6101-11 pubmed publisher..Because of the importance of cancer nerve interaction in the biology of cancer and its clinical implication, S4F can be considered a major therapeutic target. Clin Cancer Res; 19(22); 6101-11. ©2013 AACR. ..
- Perry S, Abdallah S. Mechanisms and consequences of carbon dioxide sensing in fish. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2012;184:309-15 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, a subset of branchial neuroepithelial cells (NECs) act as bimodal sensors of CO(2) and O(2), similar to the Type I (glomus) cells of the mammalian ..
- Naruse H, Gomi T, Kimura A, Adriaensen D, Timmermans J. Structure of the respiratory tract of the red-bellied newt Cynops pyrrhogaster, with reference to serotonin-positive neuroepithelial endocrine cells. Anat Sci Int. 2005;80:97-104 pubmed
- Kim Y, Park E, Noh H, Park S. Expression of EphA8-Fc in transgenic mouse embryos induces apoptosis of neural epithelial cells during brain development. Dev Neurobiol. 2013;73:702-12 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, in vitro culture of the dissociated neuroepithelial cells revealed that EphA8-Fc enhanced apoptotic cell death of the ephrinA5-expressing cells in a caspase-..
- Guillermin O, Perruchoud B, Sprecher S, Egger B. Characterization of tailless functions during Drosophila optic lobe formation. Dev Biol. 2015;405:202-13 pubmed publisher..How and when naÃ¯ve neuroepithelial cells decide to enter a differentiation pathway remains poorly understood...