Genomes and Genes
Summary: Specialized NEURONS that produce hormones, such as NEUROPEPTIDES or BIOGENIC AMINES. They generally are in the NERVOUS SYSTEM, such as HYPOTHALAMUS, but can be found in other organs or systems. These neurons contain dense neurosecretory granules and PROPROTEIN CONVERTASES allowing the rapidly release of NEUROHORMONES into the blood circulation upon stimulation.
- Fukami K, Sekiguchi F, Kawabata A. Hydrogen Sulfide and T-Type Ca2+ Channels in Pain Processing, Neuronal Differentiation and Neuroendocrine Secretion. Pharmacology. 2017;99:196-203 pubmed publisher..Key Messages: The H2S/Cav3.2 pathway may serve as therapeutic targets for treatment of intractable pain, neuronal injury, androgen-independent prostate cancer, cardiovascular diseases, etc. ..
- Sinha S, Fu Y, Grimont A, Ketcham M, Lafaro K, Saglimbeni J, et al. PanIN Neuroendocrine Cells Promote Tumorigenesis via Neuronal Cross-talk. Cancer Res. 2017;77:1868-1879 pubmed publisher..Nerve-responsive neuroendocrine cells exerted trophic influences and potentiated global PanIN organoid growth...
- Megha -, Hasan G. IP3R-mediated Ca2+ release regulates protein metabolism in Drosophila neuroendocrine cells: implications for development under nutrient stress. Development. 2017;144:1484-1489 pubmed publisher..Thus cell-specific regulation of protein synthesis by IP3R in NE cells influences protein metabolism. We propose that this regulation helps developing animals survive in poor nutritional conditions. ..
- Barrios J, Patel K, Aven L, Achey R, Minns M, Lee Y, et al. Early life allergen-induced mucus overproduction requires augmented neural stimulation of pulmonary neuroendocrine cell secretion. FASEB J. 2017;31:4117-4128 pubmed publisherPulmonary neuroendocrine cells (PNECs) are the only innervated airway epithelial cells. To what extent neural innervation regulates PNEC secretion and function is unknown...
- Rohde K, Bering T, Furukawa T, Rath M. A modulatory role of the Rax homeobox gene in mature pineal gland function: Investigating the photoneuroendocrine circadian system of a Rax conditional knockout mouse. J Neurochem. 2017;143:100-111 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Rax controls pineal gene expression and via Aanat may modulate melatonin synthesis. ..