Genomes and Genes
Summary: HEMATOPOIETIC PROGENITOR CELLS that have migrated to the THYMUS where they differentiate into T-LYMPHOCYTES. Thymocytes are classified into maturational stages based on the expression of CELL SURFACE ANTIGENS.
- Burger M, Leung K, Bennett M, Winoto A. T cell-specific inhibition of multiple apoptotic pathways blocks negative selection and causes autoimmunity. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..is thought to involve peripheral tolerance and negative selection, involving apoptosis of autoreactive thymocytes. However, evidence supporting an essential role for negative selection is limited...
- Sakamachi Y, Morioka S, Mihaly S, Takaesu G, Foley J, Fessler M, et al. TAK1 regulates resident macrophages by protecting lysosomal integrity. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2598 pubmed publisher..Although no overt alteration in thymocytes and blood myeloid populations was observed in Tak1HKO mice, we found that thymic and lung macrophages ..
- Etzensperger R, Kadakia T, Tai X, Alag A, Guinter T, Egawa T, et al. Identification of lineage-specifying cytokines that signal all CD8+-cytotoxic-lineage-fate 'decisions' in the thymus. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:1218-1227 pubmed publisher..eliminated Runx3d expression and completely abolished the generation of CD8+ single-positive thymocytes. Thus, this study proves that signaling during positive selection by lineage-specifying cytokines is responsible ..
- Rodrigues P, Ribeiro A, Perrod C, Landry J, Araújo L, Pereira Castro I, et al. Thymic epithelial cells require p53 to support their long-term function in thymopoiesis in mice. Blood. 2017;130:478-488 pubmed publisher..signs of altered immunological tolerance unfold in mutant mice and in immunodeficient mice that received p53cKO-derived thymocytes. Our findings position p53 as a novel molecular determinant of thymic epithelium function throughout life.
- Dong M, Artusa P, Kelly S, Fournier M, Baldwin T, Mandl J, et al. Alterations in the Thymic Selection Threshold Skew the Self-Reactivity of the TCR Repertoire in Neonates. J Immunol. 2017;199:965-973 pubmed publisher..Rather, our data suggest that thymic selection is altered in young mice such that thymocytes bearing TCRs with low affinity for self-peptide are not efficiently selected into the neonatal repertoire, and ..
- Yassai M, Demos W, Gorski J. Structural and Mechanistic Implications of Rearrangement Frequencies within Human TCRBV Genes. J Immunol. 2017;199:1142-1152 pubmed publisher..The selection is already established in single-positive CD8 thymocytes. Crystal structures reveal a possible basis for this selection due to the location of this residue in a bend ..
- Courtney A, Amacher J, Kadlecek T, Mollenauer M, Au Yeung B, Kuriyan J, et al. A Phosphosite within the SH2 Domain of Lck Regulates Its Activation by CD45. Mol Cell. 2017;67:498-511.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a negative feedback loop that responds to signaling events that tune active Lck amounts and TCR sensitivity. ..
- Loughran S, Comoglio F, Hamey F, Giustacchini A, Errami Y, Earp E, et al. Mbd3/NuRD controls lymphoid cell fate and inhibits tumorigenesis by repressing a B cell transcriptional program. J Exp Med. 2017;214:3085-3104 pubmed publisher..The striking reduction in early thymic T cell progenitors results in compensatory hyperproliferation of immature thymocytes and development of T cell lymphoma...
- Zhao J, Osipovich O, Koues O, Majumder K, Oltz E. Activation of Mouse Tcrb: Uncoupling RUNX1 Function from Its Cooperative Binding with ETS1. J Immunol. 2017;199:1131-1141 pubmed publisher..Activation of the TCR ? (Tcrb) locus in committed thymocytes is a critical process for continued development of these cells, and is mediated by an enhancer, E?, which ..
- Lee T, Sprouse M, Banerjee P, Bettini M, Bettini M. Ectopic Expression of Self-Antigen Drives Regulatory T Cell Development and Not Deletion of Autoimmune T Cells. J Immunol. 2017;199:2270-2278 pubmed publisher..InsB9-23 R22E) efficiently deletes insulin-specific T cells and prevents escape of high-affinity thymocytes. Collectively, these results suggest that Ag dose and peptide-MHC complex stability can lead to multiple fates ..
- Kasheta M, Painter C, Moore F, Lobbardi R, Bryll A, Freiman E, et al. Identification and characterization of T reg-like cells in zebrafish. J Exp Med. 2017;214:3519-3530 pubmed publisher..This study identifies T reg-like cells in zebrafish, providing both a model to study the normal functions of these cells in vivo and mutants to explore the consequences of their loss. ..
- Dorfman D, Morgan E, Pelton A, Unitt C. T-cell transcription factor GATA-3 is an immunophenotypic marker of acute leukemias with T-cell differentiation. Hum Pathol. 2017;65:166-174 pubmed publisher..transcription factor that controls Th1/Th2 T-cell fate, is not expressed to any significant extent in immature thymocytes or in cases of T-lymphoblastic leukemia or acute myeloid leukemia/myeloid sarcoma, but is expressed in most ..
- Liberatore R, Mastrocola E, Powell C, Bieniasz P. Tetherin Inhibits Cell-Free Virus Dissemination and Retards Murine Leukemia Virus Pathogenesis. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..of hTetherin in hematopoietic cells had little or no effect on the number of MoMLV-infected splenocytes and thymocytes. However, hTetherin expression significantly reduced cell-free plasma viremia and also delayed MoMLV-induced ..
- Ohmura S, Mizuno S, Oishi H, Ku C, Hermann M, Hosoya T, et al. Lineage-affiliated transcription factors bind the Gata3 Tce1 enhancer to mediate lineage-specific programs. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:865-78 pubmed publisher..Together, our data show that Tce1 is both necessary and sufficient for critical aspects of Gata3 T cell-specific transcriptional activity. ..
- Farias de Oliveira D, Cotta de Almeida V, Villa Verde D, Riederer I, Meis J, Savino W. Fibronectin modulates thymocyte-thymic epithelial cell interactions following Trypanosoma cruzi infection. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2013;108:825-31 pubmed publisherDeveloping thymocytes interact with thymic epithelial cells (TECs) through cell-cell interactions, TEC-derived secretory moieties and extracellular matrix (ECM)-mediated interactions...
- White A, Baik S, Parnell S, Holland A, Brombacher F, Jenkinson W, et al. A type 2 cytokine axis for thymus emigration. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2205-2216 pubmed publisher..Absence of IL-4R? limits thymocyte emigration, leading to an intrathymic accumulation of mature thymocytes within medullary perivascular spaces and reduced numbers of recent thymic emigrants...
- Ghosh M, Muller H, Walker A. Lactation-Based Maternal Educational Immunity Crosses MHC Class I Barriers and Can Impart Th1 Immunity to Th2-Biased Recipients. J Immunol. 2017;199:1729-1736 pubmed publisher..We conclude that lactational transfer of immunity can cross MHC class I barriers and that Th1 immunity can be imparted to Th2-biased offspring; in some instances, it can be greater than that achieved by direct immunization. ..
- Kozai M, Kubo Y, Katakai T, Kondo H, Kiyonari H, Schaeuble K, et al. Essential role of CCL21 in establishment of central self-tolerance in T cells. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1925-1935 pubmed publisher..receptor CCR7 directs T cell relocation into and within lymphoid organs, including the migration of developing thymocytes into the thymic medulla...
- Adoro S, Park K, Bettigole S, Lis R, Shin H, Seo H, et al. Post-translational control of T cell development by the ESCRT protein CHMP5. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:780-790 pubmed publisher..Our results thus identify CHMP5 as an essential component of the post-translational machinery required for T cell development. ..
- Schuldt N, Auger J, Spanier J, Martinov T, Breed E, Fife B, et al. Cutting Edge: Dual TCR? Expression Poses an Autoimmune Hazard by Limiting Regulatory T Cell Generation. J Immunol. 2017;199:33-38 pubmed publisher..These data support a novel hypothesis by which dual TCR expression can promote autoimmunity by limiting agonist selection of self-reactive thymocytes into the Treg cell lineage.
- Miyazaki M, Miyazaki K, Chen K, Jin Y, Turner J, Moore A, et al. The E-Id Protein Axis Specifies Adaptive Lymphoid Cell Identity and Suppresses Thymic Innate Lymphoid Cell Development. Immunity. 2017;46:818-834.e4 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these and previous observations, we propose that the E-Id protein axis specifies innate and adaptive lymphoid cell fate. ..
- Kuchler L, Sha L, Giegerich A, Knape T, Angioni C, Ferreirós N, et al. Elevated intrathymic sphingosine-1-phosphate promotes thymus involution during sepsis. Mol Immunol. 2017;90:255-263 pubmed publisherSepsis mouse models revealed thymus atrophy, characterised by decreased thymus weight and loss of thymocytes due to apoptosis...
- Ki S, Thyagarajan H, Hu Z, Lancaster J, Ehrlich L. EBI2 contributes to the induction of thymic central tolerance in mice by promoting rapid motility of medullary thymocytes. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1906-1917 pubmed publisherMaturing thymocytes enter the thymic medulla, where they encounter numerous self-antigens presented by antigen presenting cells (APCs)...