Genomes and Genes
Summary: Oxygen-carrying RED BLOOD CELLS in mammalian blood that are abnormal in structure or function.
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Lesesve J, Salignac S, Lecompte T, Bordigoni P. Automated measurement of schistocytes after bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2004;34:357-62 pubmed..The new RBC fragment automated parameter proved its clinical value to assess BMT-TMA, which might be useful for day-to-day monitoring of the post BMT period. ..
- De D. Sickle cell anaemia 1: background, causes and incidence in the UK. Br J Nurs. 2005;14:447-50 pubmed..Readers should note that the term 'painful episode' is now used in preference to 'crisis', which suggests catastrophe. The second article will look more closely at the pharmacological treatments for SCA painful episode management. ..
- Ellison A, Shaw K. Management of vasoocclusive pain events in sickle cell disease. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007;23:832-8; quiz 838-41 pubmed..This continuing medical education article will provide a summary of the management of acute pain events in SCD with particular emphasis on adequate analgesia. ..
- Demeter J, Magyar Z, Varga F, Szathmari M, Lehoczky D, Ellegaard J. Preferential localisation of red cell vacuoles to pathologically shaped human red blood cells. Eur J Haematol. 1989;43:41-4 pubmed..001). As the number of pits per RBC showed great individual variations, a scoring system for the evaluation of pitted RBCs is proposed. ..
- Lutty G, Otsuji T, Taomoto M, Merges C, McLeod D, Kim S, et al. Mechanisms for sickle red blood cell retention in choroid. Curr Eye Res. 2002;25:163-71 pubmed..This increased retention was inhibited by a VLA-4 antagonist (TBC772), a VLA-4 neutralizing antibody or by blocking one of VLA-4's ligands, the CS-1 portion of fibronectin. ..
- Kalhs P, Panzer S, Kletter K, Minar E, Stain Kos M, Walter R, et al. Functional asplenia after bone marrow transplantation. A late complication related to extensive chronic graft-versus-host disease. Ann Intern Med. 1988;109:461-4 pubmed..To evaluate splenic function in bone marrow transplant recipients, with relation to chronic graft-versus-host disease and infections...
- Fogazzi G, Edefonti A, Garigali G, Giani M, Zolin A, Raimondi S, et al. Urine erythrocyte morphology in patients with microscopic haematuria caused by a glomerulopathy. Pediatr Nephrol. 2008;23:1093-100 pubmed publisher..4% and 85% for >or=5% acanthocytes/G1 cells and 12.2% and 100% for erythrocytic casts. Our findings demonstrate that the evaluation of UEM is useful to identify patients with an IMH of glomerular origin...
- Miura H, Suwabe A, Tominaga M. [Evaluation of dysmorphic red cells in the urinary sediment]. Rinsho Byori. 2001;49:638-45 pubmed..1 mmol/l or more of KH2PO4. This result supported the nephron passage theory in the formation of AC in glomerular diseases...
- Arese P. How genetics and biology helped humanity to survive falciparum malaria. Parassitologia. 2006;48:553-9 pubmed
- Dahoui H, Abboud M, Saab R, Farra C, Sinno D, Dabbous I, et al. Familial infantile pyknocytosis in association with pulmonary hypertension. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008;51:290-2 pubmed publisher..He died at 39 days from sepsis. The findings support a possible autosomal recessive inheritance. We hypothesize that pulmonary hypertension may be secondary to or aggravated by neonatal hemolysis. ..
- Anstee D, Parsons S, Ridgwell K, Tanner M, Merry A, Thomson E, et al. Two individuals with elliptocytic red cells apparently lack three minor erythrocyte membrane sialoglycoproteins. Biochem J. 1984;218:615-9 pubmed..Approx. 10% of the erythrocytes of P. L. and K. W. were frankly elliptocytic. We suggest that one or more of the minor sialoglycoproteins may play a part in maintaining the discoid shape of the human erythrocyte. ..
- Ellory J, Nash G, Stone P, Culliford S, Horwitz E, Stuart J. Mode of action and comparative efficacy of pharmacological agents that inhibit calcium-dependent dehydration of sickle cells. Br J Pharmacol. 1992;106:972-7 pubmed..The latter pathway is significant in contributing to sickle cell dehydration and nitrendipine is the most effective inhibitor of this route...
- Wandersee N, Punzalan R, Rettig M, Kennedy M, Pajewski N, Sabina R, et al. Erythrocyte adhesion is modified by alterations in cellular tonicity and volume. Br J Haematol. 2005;131:366-77 pubmed..In summary, these findings demonstrate that changes in hydration can significantly impact adhesion, causing normal erythrocytes to display adhesive properties similar to those of sickle cells and vice versa. ..
- Hall A, Ward F, Shen C, Rowe C, Bowie L, Devine A, et al. Deletion of the dominant autoantigen in NZB mice with autoimmune hemolytic anemia: effects on autoantibody and T-helper responses. Blood. 2007;110:4511-7 pubmed..The redundancy of the major autoantigen illustrates the requirement for specific therapy to induce dominant forms of tolerance, such as T-cell regulation. ..
- Connes P, Boucher J. Echinocytosis in athletes with exercise-induced hypoxemia. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2010;44:107-14 pubmed publisher..We suggested that the rigidity of echinocytes could have contributed to the genesis of EIH. ..
- Thame M, Grandison Y, Mason K, Thompson M, Higgs D, Morris J, et al. The red cell distribution width in sickle cell disease--is it of clinical value?. Clin Lab Haematol. 1991;13:229-37 pubmed..A low RDW in SS disease is consistent with a high total haemoglobin, high HbF, low reticulocyte count, alpha thalassaemia, and a more mild clinical course. ..
- Chan J, Kwong M, Lo M, Emerson R, Kuypers F. Reduced oxidative-stress response in red blood cells from p45NFE2-deficient mice. Blood. 2001;97:2151-8 pubmed..These findings suggest a role for p45NF-E2 in the oxidative-stress response in RBCs and indicate that p45NF-E2 deficiency contributes to the anemia in p45nf-e2(-/-) mice. (Blood. 2001;97:2151-2158) ..
- Fricke B, Parsons S, Knopfle G, von Düring M, Stewart G. Stomatin is mis-trafficked in the erythrocytes of overhydrated hereditary stomatocytosis, and is absent from normal primitive yolk sac-derived erythrocytes. Br J Haematol. 2005;131:265-77 pubmed..The significance of this observation on these poorly understood cells is currently unclear. ..
- Go T, Byeon H, Lee S. Label-free sensor for automatic identification of erythrocytes using digital in-line holographic microscopy and machine learning. Biosens Bioelectron. 2018;103:12-18 pubmed publisher..18%) and test sets (n = 190, 97.37%). This proposed methodology, which smartly combined DIHM and machine learning, would be helpful for sensing abnormal erythrocytes and computer-aided diagnosis of hematological diseases in clinic.
- al Rohil Gharaibeh N, Al Sheyyab M. Inhibition of K+ transport in human sickle cell erythrocytes by okadaic acid and sodium fluoride. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1997;24:841-3 pubmed..Okadaic acid added after NEM did not inhibit transport. 4. The inhibition of the effects of NEM by okadaic acid and sodium fluoride indicates that activation of the flux by NEM requires the action of phosphatase. ..
- Asakura T, Asakura K, Obata K, Mattiello J, Ballas S. Blood samples collected under venous oxygen pressure from patients with sickle cell disease contain a significant number of a new type of reversibly sickled cells: constancy of the percentage of sickled cells in individual patients during steady stat. Am J Hematol. 2005;80:249-56 pubmed..This new type of RSC may be used as an internal biomarker to evaluate the disease state of individual patients. ..
- Todisco T, Dottorini M, Palumbo R, Calvitti M, Vernelli C, Rossi F, et al. Fate of human albumin microsphere and spherocyte radioaerosols in the human tracheobronchial tree. Lung. 1990;168 Suppl:665-71 pubmed..In our opinion, if HAM are coated with surfactant, this should improve the mucus-HAM interaction, thus helping to control variability in lung radioaerosol MCC studies...
- Williams T. Red blood cell defects and malaria. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2006;149:121-7 pubmed..The challenge for the future must be to convert these advances into fresh approaches to the prevention and treatment of malaria. ..
- Sears D, Udden M, Thomas L. Carboxyhemoglobin levels in patients with sickle-cell anemia: relationship to hemolytic and vasoocclusive severity. Am J Med Sci. 2001;322:345-8 pubmed..The lack of correlation with vaso-occlusive severity may be due to the complex changes involved and the difficulty of quantifying vasoocclusive severity. ..
- Sakthivel R, Farooq S, Kalaiselvi P, Varalakshmi P. Investigation on the early events of apoptosis in senescent erythrocytes with special emphasis on intracellular free calcium and loss of phospholipid asymmetry in chronic renal failure. Clin Chim Acta. 2007;382:1-7 pubmed..Phosphatidylserine (PS) exposure erythrocytes were significantly increased in uremic patients when compared with controls. Uremic complications predisposes to membrane damages in erythrocytes. ..
- Kutter D, Coulon N, Stirn F, Thoma M, Janecki J. Demonstration and quantification of "hyperchromic" erythrocytes by haematological analysers. Application to screening for hereditary and acquired spherocytosis. Clin Lab. 2002;48:163-70 pubmed
- Italia K, Colah R, Mohanty D. Evaluation of F cells in sickle cell disorders by flow cytometry -- comparison with the Kleihauer-Betke's slide method. Int J Lab Hematol. 2007;29:409-14 pubmed..Flow cytometry gave a more accurate assessment of adult F cells, eliminating any manual error, as compared to KB, which was less sensitive and precise as it is based on subjective visual interpretation. ..
- Asokumar B, Kierney C, James T, Amato J, Tumanmd K. Anaesthetic management of a patient with erythropoietic protoporphyria for ventricular septal defect closure. Paediatr Anaesth. 1999;9:356-8 pubmed..Anaesthetic agents not previously associated with porphyric crisis were chosen. Whole blood priming of the extracorporeal circuit was performed to ensure adequate haemoglobin concentrations during the perioperative period. ..
- Upalakalin J, Uhl L, Burger A. Mitral-valve-induced microangiopathic hemolytic anemia. Transfusion. 2002;42:1105 pubmed
- Nguyen G. Urine cytology in renal glomerular disease and value of G1 cell in the diagnosis of glomerular bleeding. Diagn Cytopathol. 2003;29:67-73 pubmed..Thus, abundant ECs and/or G1DEs with a G1DE/total erythrocyte ratio of 10-100% proved to be specific urinary markers for renal glomerular diseases. ..
- Wilhelm Z, Sedláčková M, Kleinová J. Morphology of erythrocytes of patients with ovarian cancer. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2004;116:676-8 pubmed..To investigate the morphology of erythrocytes in the peripheral blood of patients with ovarian cancer stage II and III...
- Kim M, Mayr M, Pechula M, Steiger J, Dickenmann M. Marked erythrocyte microcytosis under primary immunosuppression with sirolimus. Transpl Int. 2006;19:12-8 pubmed..Only two patients in SRL group presented decreased transferrin saturation rate. Marked erythrocyte microcytosis without persistent anemia was observed in patients treated with SRL and MMF. ..
- Bencsath F, Shartava A, Monteiro C, Goodman S. Identification of the disulfide-linked peptide in irreversibly sickled cell beta-actin. Biochemistry. 1996;35:4403-8 pubmed..and MSMS, and identified it in the tryptic digest of the ISC beta-actin. These results support our earlier suggestion that the oxidative change in ISC beta-actin is a major cause of the irreversible sickling phenomenon. ..
- Gallagher P. Hereditary elliptocytosis: spectrin and protein 4.1R. Semin Hematol. 2004;41:142-64 pubmed..quot; The majority of HE patients are asymptomatic, but some may experience hemolytic anemia, splenomegaly, and intermittent jaundice. ..
- Hebbel R. Special issue of Microcirculation: examination of the vascular pathobiology of sickle cell anemia. Foreword. Microcirculation. 2004;11:99-100 pubmed
- Bain B. Morphology in the diagnosis of red cell disorders. Hematology. 2005;10 Suppl 1:178-81 pubmed..Polycythaemic as well as anaemic patients require blood film examination. ..
- Gallagher P, Romana M, Lieman J, Ward D. cDNA structure, tissue-specific expression, and chromosomal localization of the murine band 7.2b gene. Blood. 1995;86:359-65 pubmed..Database searching showed no significant homology of other known proteins to murine or human band 7.2b. ..
- Dabbous I, El Bahlawan L. Infantile pyknocytosis: a forgotten or a dead diagnosis?. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2002;24:507 pubmed
- Suwalsky M, Vargas P, Avello M, Villena F, Sotomayor C. Human erythrocytes are affected in vitro by flavonoids of Aristotelia chilensis (Maqui) leaves. Int J Pharm. 2008;363:85-90 pubmed publisher..chilensis induced an alteration of human erythrocyte morphology from the normal discoid shape to an echinocytic form, changes that are explained in terms of the extract interaction with the membrane's outer phospholipid monolayer...
- Ibrahim H, Sani F, Danladi B, Ahmadu A. Phytochemical and antisickling studies of the leaves of Hymenocardia acida Tul (Euphorbiaceae). Pak J Biol Sci. 2007;10:788-91 pubmed..Therefore, the use of the plant by the traditional medical practitioners in the treatment of sickle cell anaemic patients is justified. ..
- Bannerman R, Edwards J, Pinkerton P. Hereditary disorders of the red cell in animals. Prog Hematol. 1973;8:131-79 pubmed
- Zaman Z, Proesmans W. Dysmorphic erythrocytes and G1 cells as markers of glomerular hematuria. Pediatr Nephrol. 2000;14:980-4 pubmed..Both tests are needed to achieve >90% sensitivity and specificity. ..
- Hershko C, Konijn A, Nick H, Breuer W, Cabantchik Z, Link G. ICL670A: a new synthetic oral chelator: evaluation in hypertransfused rats with selective radioiron probes of hepatocellular and reticuloendothelial iron stores and in iron-loaded rat heart cells in culture. Blood. 2001;97:1115-22 pubmed..These unique chelating properties of ICL670A may have practical implications for current efforts to design better therapeutic strategies for the management of transfusional iron overload...
- Damodar S, George B, Mammen J, Mathews V, Srivastava A, Chandy M. Pre-transplant reduction of isohaemagglutinin titres by donor group plasma infusion does not reduce the incidence of pure red cell aplasia in major ABO-mismatched transplants. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005;36:233-5 pubmed..We also failed to find any relationship between pre-transplant ABO isohaemagglutinin titre and the risk of developing PRCA. ..
- Schnog J, Kremer Hovinga J, Krieg S, Akin S, Lammle B, Brandjes D, et al. ADAMTS13 activity in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2006;81:492-8 pubmed..67, P = 0.002). Although SCD is characterized by elevated VWF:Ag levels, no severe ADAMTS13 deficiency was detected in our patients. ..
- Mahdi N, Al Ola K, Al Subaie A, Ali M, Al Irhayim Z, Al Irhayim A, et al. HLA class II haplotypes distinctly associated with vaso-occlusion in children with sickle cell disease. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2008;15:729-31 pubmed publisher..Both susceptible (DRB1*100101-DQB1*050101) and protective (DRB1*110101-DQB1*030101 and DRB1*150101-DQB1*060101) haplotypes were identified, indicating that HLA class II haplotypes influence VOC risk. ..
- Bain B. Blood film features of sickle cell-haemoglobin C disease. Br J Haematol. 1993;83:516-8 pubmed..In addition, SC differed from SS in having fewer classical sickle cells and nucleated red cells, more irregularly-contracted cells and less polychromasia and evidence of hyposplenism. ..
- Contini M, Mahieu S, Bazzoni G, Bernal C, Carnovale C. Study of hemorheological parameters following partial hepatectomy in rats with chronic aluminium intoxication. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc. 2006;35:431-9 pubmed..From these results, we conclude that in partially hepatectomized, Al-overloaded rats the decrease in erythrocyte deformability may be an important factor leading to the installation of anaemia. ..
- Moore R. Schistocytosis and a thrombotic microangiopathy-like syndrome in hospitalized HIV-infected patients. Am J Hematol. 1999;60:116-20 pubmed..Schistocytosis and a TMA-like syndrome are relatively common in hospitalized HIV-infected patients. This syndrome may contribute to mortality and morbidity, particularly in patients with more advanced disease. ..
- Stein G, Fünfstück R, Schiel R. [Erythrocyturia and proteinuria. When should a nephrologist be consulted?]. Med Klin (Munich). 2005;100:663-9; quiz 670-1 pubmed
- Bennett V. The membrane skeleton of human erythrocytes and its implications for more complex cells. Annu Rev Biochem. 1985;54:273-304 pubmed
- Kuross S, Hebbel R. Nonheme iron in sickle erythrocyte membranes: association with phospholipids and potential role in lipid peroxidation. Blood. 1988;72:1278-85 pubmed..These data provide additional support for the concept that iron decompartmentalization is a characteristic of sickle RBCs. ..
- Wardoyo A, Juswono U, Noor J. A study of the correlation between ultrafine particle emissions in motorcycle smoke and mice erythrocyte damages. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2017;69:649-655 pubmed publisher..The erythrocyte damages were calculated from the total abnormal erythrocytes divided by the total erythrocytes...
- Stibenz D. Preservation of resuspended red cell concentrates. Rate of vesiculation and of spontaneous hemolysis. Folia Haematol Int Mag Klin Morphol Blutforsch. 1987;114:469-70 pubmed..The addition of guanosine (1.25 mM final concentration) to the SAG-sucrose or SAG-sorbitol medium has no significant effects on hemolysis and vesiculation...
- Van Buul P, de Rooij D, Zandman I, Grigorova M, van Duyn Goedhart A. X-ray-induced chromosomal aberrations and cell killing in somatic and germ cells of the scid mouse. Int J Radiat Biol. 1995;67:549-55 pubmed..The dose-response relationship for induced translocations was bell shaped with a maximum of about 0.5% around doses of 0.5-1.5 Gy X-rays. ..
- Gallagher P, Forget B. Hematologically important mutations: spectrin variants in hereditary elliptocytosis and hereditary pyropoikilocytosis. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 1996;22:254-8 pubmed
- Manodori A. Sickle erythrocytes adhere to fibronectin-thrombospondin-integrin complexes exposed by thrombin-induced endothelial cell contraction. Microvasc Res. 2001;61:263-74 pubmed..These data suggest that SS RBC adhere to a complex of matrix TSP and FN maintained in an adhesive conformation by interactions with both integrins. ..
- Prokopiuk M, Wierzbicki P. [Diagnosis of haematuria in phase-contrast microscopy--current knowledge]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2002;13:428-32 pubmed..This article presents the current state of the art of using phase-contrast microscopy in examination of urinary sediment in differential diagnosis of haematuria. ..
- Martinez M, Bucher C, Stussi G, Heim D, Buser A, Tsakiris D, et al. Transplant-associated microangiopathy (TAM) in recipients of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplants. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005;36:993-1000 pubmed..TAM is frequent after HSCT and is associated with mortality even after adjustment for aGvHD grade. Risk factors of TAM are similar to aGvHD. TAM may represent endothelial damage driven by donor-host interactions. ..
- Garcia Pachon E, Padilla Navas I. Red cell macrocytosis in COPD patients without respiratory insufficiency: a brief report. Respir Med. 2007;101:349-52 pubmed..03). We conclude that macrocytosis is a frequent finding in stable non-hypoxemic COPD patients, and that in ex-smoker patients the degree of macrocytosis is associated with a worse clinical situation in terms of dyspnea and FEV(1). ..
- Perrin J, Georges A, Morali A, Vigneron C, Lecompte T, Lesesve J. [Acanthocytes and hypocholesterolemia]. Ann Biol Clin (Paris). 2008;66:569-72 pubmed publisher..The defect in lipid metabolism lead to changes in erythrocyte's membrane composition. We insist on morphological differences between acanthocytes and echinocytes (both are deformed erythrocytes), regarding separate clinical diagnosis...
- Glader B, Backer K. Elevated red cell adenosine deaminase activity: a marker of disordered erythropoiesis in Diamond-Blackfan anaemia and other haematologic diseases. Br J Haematol. 1988;68:165-8 pubmed..However, since almost all patients with Diamond-Blackfan anaemia manifest elevated RBC-ADA activity, this chemical alteration yet may reflect the specific erythroid differentiation lesion in this disorder. ..
- Aprelev A, Rotter M, Etzion Z, Bookchin R, Briehl R, Ferrone F. The effects of erythrocyte membranes on the nucleation of sickle hemoglobin. Biophys J. 2005;88:2815-22 pubmed
- Chiarelli L, Fermo E, Zanella A, Valentini G. Hereditary erythrocyte pyrimidine 5'-nucleotidase deficiency: a biochemical, genetic and clinical overview. Hematology. 2006;11:67-72 pubmed..No specific therapy for P5'N-1 deficiency is now available. ..
- Takashimizu S, Shiraishi K, Watanabe N, Numata M, Kawazoe K, Miyachi H, et al. Scanning electron microscopic studies on morphological abnormalities of erythrocytes in alcoholic liver diseases. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2000;24:81S-86S pubmed..We previously reported that morphological abnormalities and the altered deformability of erythrocytes play important roles in disturbances of hepatic microcirculation associated with alcoholic liver disease...
- Ballas S. Hydration of sickle erythrocytes using a herbal extract (Pfaffia paniculata) in vitro. Br J Haematol. 2000;111:359-62 pubmed..These findings indicate that PP functions as a sodium ionophore on sickle cells and improves their hydration status and rheological properties. ..
- Hegele R, Miskie B. Acanthocytosis in a patient with homozygous familial hypobetalipoproteinemia due to a novel APOB splice site mutation. Clin Genet. 2002;61:101-3 pubmed..However, the acanthocytosis - literally 'thorny' erythrocytes that result from abnormal membrane fluidity - persists despite treatment. ..
- Watkins N, Du L, Scott J, Ouwehand W, Hillery C. Single-chain antibody fragments derived from a human synthetic phage-display library bind thrombospondin and inhibit sickle cell adhesion. Blood. 2003;102:718-24 pubmed..These scFvs will be useful reagents for investigating the role of the calcium and cell-binding domains of TSP in sickle RBC adhesion. ..
- Orjih A. Comparison of Plasmodium falciparum growth in sickle cells in low oxygen environment and candle-jar. Acta Trop. 2005;94:25-34 pubmed..Continuous cultivation of different P. falciparum strains in HbAS erythrocytes is necessary for investigation of possible molecular differences between malaria parasites in sickle cells and those in HbAA erythrocytes. ..
- Delaunay J. Molecular basis of red cell membrane disorders. Acta Haematol. 2002;108:210-8 pubmed..Concerning DHS and another disease of the same class, overhydrated hereditary stomatocytosis, splenectomy almost certainly appears to elicit thromboembolic accidents. ..
- Dinda A. Imagecytometry: a new tool for diagnosis of glomerular haematuria. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2001;44:13-6 pubmed..The IOD helped to diagnose 100% cases. Thus application of this new technique may be very useful diagnostic tool in the investigation of haematuria. ..
- Kwaan H, Wang J. Hyperviscosity in polycythemia vera and other red cell abnormalities. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2003;29:451-8 pubmed..The hemodynamic principle is aptly applied in the management of PV. The most important objective is the reduction of the patient's hematocrit. ..
- Soogarun S, Sirimongkolsakul S, Wiwanitkit V, Mahakittikul B, Pradniwat P, Palasuwam A. A note on the mean corpuscular volume in hemoglobin E carriers. Lab Hematol. 2004;10:191-2 pubmed
- Head D, Lee Z, Poole J, Avent N. Expression of phosphatidylserine (PS) on wild-type and Gerbich variant erythrocytes following glycophorin-C (GPC) ligation. Br J Haematol. 2005;129:130-7 pubmed..Further characterization of this pathway may also identify new targets for the treatment of P. falciparum malaria. ..
- Browning J, Robinson H, Ellory J, Gibson J. Deoxygenation-induced non-electrolyte pathway in red cells from sickle cell patients. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2007;19:165-74 pubmed..Their significance lies in understanding the nature of the deoxygenation-induced permeability in HbS cells, together with its relationship with novel pathways induced by a variety of manipulations in normal red cells. ..
- Parvez Z, Moncada R, Gragasin M. Cytogenetic interactions of contrast media and antineoplastic drugs. Invest Radiol. 1988;23:389-93 pubmed..In protocol 2 experiments, antagonism with CPA and synergism with CARM was demonstrable. Clinical implication of the cytogenetic interactions between CM and antineoplastic drugs remains to be established...
- Suzuki Y, Ikehata M, Nakamura K, Nishioka M, Asanuma K, Koana T, et al. Induction of micronuclei in mice exposed to static magnetic fields. Mutagenesis. 2001;16:499-501 pubmed..Micronucleus frequency at 4.7 T was higher than at 3.0 T. We consider that the increased numbers of micronuclei may be attributable to a stress reaction caused by SMFs or a direct clastogenic/spindle disturbance effect of SMFs. ..
- Nagel R, Fabry M, Steinberg M. The paradox of hemoglobin SC disease. Blood Rev. 2003;17:167-78 pubmed..This situation offers a unique opportunity: if we could inhibit the effect of HbC on K(+) transport we can cure the disease. ..
- Wu S, Haynes J, Taylor J, Obiako B, Stubbs J, Li M, et al. Cav3.1 (alpha1G) T-type Ca2+ channels mediate vaso-occlusion of sickled erythrocytes in lung microcirculation. Circ Res. 2003;93:346-53 pubmed..We conclude that activation of the Cav3.1 channels selectively induces phenotypic changes in microvascular endothelial cells that mediate vaso-occlusion by sickled erythrocytes in the inflamed lung microcirculation. ..
- Gallagher P. Update on the clinical spectrum and genetics of red blood cell membrane disorders. Curr Hematol Rep. 2004;3:85-91 pubmed..Analysis of these defects has provided a better understanding of the pathogenesis of these disorders and allowed a better understanding of the structure/function relationships of the proteins of the erythrocyte membrane. ..
- Ferrone F. Polymerization and sickle cell disease: a molecular view. Microcirculation. 2004;11:115-28 pubmed..In considering when cells get stuck, new measurements of individual fiber stiffness and the processes of depolymerization are also considered. Finally, a fundamental connection is shown between thermodynamics and rheology. ..
- Parsons S, Penzhorn B, Reyers F, Steyl J, Becker P. Erythrocyte morphology and haemoglobin types of neonatal roan antelopes (Hippotragus equinus) with hypochromic poikilocytic anaemia. J Comp Pathol. 2006;134:152-60 pubmed..An imbalance in the synthesis of the alpha- and beta-globin chains of Hb (a thalassaemia) may prove to be the underlying pathophysiology of this syndrome. ..
- Alexy T, Pais E, Armstrong J, Meiselman H, Johnson C, Fisher T. Rheologic behavior of sickle and normal red blood cell mixtures in sickle plasma: implications for transfusion therapy. Transfusion. 2006;46:912-8 pubmed..These results indicate the importance of plasma-mediated RBC interactions and suggest that the benefits of transfusion may vary depending on local flow rates (i.e., shear rates) and organ-specific hemodynamics. ..
- Yoshimoto S, Takeuchi M, Tada A, Taguchi H, Manabe T. [Post-gastrectomized vitamin B12 deficient anemia with marked leukoerythroblastosis and ringed sideroblasts]. Rinsho Ketsueki. 1992;33:688-93 pubmed..Post-gastrectomy vitamin B12 deficiency anemias combined with erythroblastosis and ringed sideroblasts is a rare condition. Splenectomy is thought to play an important role in the pathogenesis of these conditions. ..
- Grant S, Reeger W, Wenger S. Diagnosis of ataxia telangiectasia with the glycophorin A somatic mutation assay. Genet Test. 1997;1:261-7 pubmed..Therefore, we suggest that the GPA assay, which can be performed on < 1 ml of blood and completed in less than a day, be considered as a confirmatory laboratory test for a clinical diagnosis of AT. ..
- Pace B, Shartava A, Pack Mabien A, Mulekar M, Ardia A, Goodman S. Effects of N-acetylcysteine on dense cell formation in sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol. 2003;73:26-32 pubmed..To determine the long-term efficacy and safety of NAC, a multicenter phase III clinical trial is required. ..
- Kolyvanos Naumann U, Suter P, Kaser L, Vetter W. [Macrocytosis/macrocytic anemia]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2005;94:1051-5; quiz 1056 pubmed
- Su Y, Wang Z, Yang H, Cao L, Liu F, Bai X, et al. Clinical and molecular genetic analysis of a family with sitosterolemia and co-existing erythrocyte and platelet abnormalities. Haematologica. 2006;91:1392-5 pubmed..Our results suggest that blood cells could be a target for the toxic effect of plasma phytosterols; the coexisting hematologic abnormalities might represent a specific subtype of sitosterolemia. ..
- Wautier M, El Nemer W, Gane P, Rain J, Cartron J, Colin Y, et al. Increased adhesion to endothelial cells of erythrocytes from patients with polycythemia vera is mediated by laminin alpha5 chain and Lu/BCAM. Blood. 2007;110:894-901 pubmed..Phosphorylation of Lu/BCAM increases RBC adhesion. Our results indicate that JAK2 mutation might be linked to Lu/BCAM modification and increased RBC adhesiveness, which may be a factor favoring thrombosis in PV. ..
- Finkelstein Y, Schechter T, Garcia Bournissen F, Kirby M, Nurmohamed L, Juurlink D, et al. Is morphine exposure associated with acute chest syndrome in children with vaso-occlusive crisis of sickle cell disease? A 6-year case-crossover study. Clin Ther. 2007;29:2738-43 pubmed publisher..44 [0.84] mg/kg). Among these children with SCD who presented with VOC, the administration of morphine was not found to be associated with a dose-response effect on the risk for ACS. ..