Genomes and Genes
Summary: The continuous remodeling of MITOCHONDRIA shape by fission and fusion in response to physiological conditions.
- Torrealba N, Aranguiz P, Alonso C, Rothermel B, Lavandero S. Mitochondria in Structural and Functional Cardiac Remodeling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:277-306 pubmed publisher..Here we will also review strategies to improve mitochondrial function and discuss their cardioprotective potential. ..
- Ni Z, Tao L, Xiaohui X, Zelin Z, Jiangang L, Zhao S, et al. Polydatin impairs mitochondria fitness and ameliorates podocyte injury by suppressing Drp1 expression. J Cell Physiol. 2017;232:2776-2787 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we demonstrate that PD may be therapeutically useful in DN, and that, podocyte apoptosis induced by HG can be reversed by PD through suppressing Drp1 expression. ..
- Ong S, Kalkhoran S, Hernández Reséndiz S, Samangouei P, Ong S, Hausenloy D. Mitochondrial-Shaping Proteins in Cardiac Health and Disease - the Long and the Short of It!. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2017;31:87-107 pubmed publisher..In this review article, we provide an overview of the mitochondrial fusion and fission proteins in the adult heart, and highlight their roles as novel therapeutic targets for treating cardiac disease. ..
- Ji W, Chakrabarti R, Fan X, Schoenfeld L, Strack S, Higgs H. Receptor-mediated Drp1 oligomerization on endoplasmic reticulum. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:4123-4139 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that ER can function as a platform for Drp1 oligomerization, and that ER-associated Drp1 contributes to mitochondrial division. ..
- Nan J, Zhu W, Rahman M, Liu M, Li D, Su S, et al. Molecular regulation of mitochondrial dynamics in cardiac disease. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1260-1273 pubmed publisher..Mitochondrial fission and fusion (mitochondrial dynamics) play essential roles in maintaining mitochondrial homeostasis, defects in mitochondrial dynamics lead to ..
- Duann P, Lin P. Mitochondria Damage and Kidney Disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:529-551 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the cellular and molecular events that govern mitochondria functions in health and disease will potentially lead to improved therapeutics development. ..
- Kurz F, Aon M, O ROURKE B, Armoundas A. Functional Implications of Cardiac Mitochondria Clustering. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:1-24 pubmed publisher..g., ischemia-reperfusion). This underscores the relevance of quantitative methods to characterize the network's functional status as a way to assess the myocyte's resilience to pathological stressors. ..
- Lv F, Yang X, Cui C, Su C. Exogenous expression of Drp1 plays neuroprotective roles in the Alzheimer's disease in the A?42 transgenic Drosophila model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176183 pubmed publisher..The protective effect of Drp1 on the A?42 transgenic Drosophila was achieved by protecting the mitochondrial function, suggesting that Drp1 may be a potential therapeutic strategies for AD. ..
- Morigi M, Perico L, Rota C, Longaretti L, Conti S, Rottoli D, et al. Sirtuin 3-dependent mitochondrial dynamic improvements protect against acute kidney injury. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:715-26 pubmed publisher..Together, our results indicate that SIRT3 is protective against AKI and suggest that enhancing SIRT3 to improve mitochondrial dynamics has potential as a strategy for improving outcomes of renal injury.
- Morita M, Prudent J, Basu K, Goyon V, Katsumura S, Hulea L, et al. mTOR Controls Mitochondrial Dynamics and Cell Survival via MTFP1. Mol Cell. 2017;67:922-935.e5 pubmed publisher..These data provide direct evidence for cell survival upon mTOR inhibition through mitochondrial hyperfusion employing MTFP1 as a critical effector of mTORC1 to govern cell fate decisions. ..
- Han B, Sivaramakrishnan P, Lin C, Neve I, He J, Tay L, et al. Microbial Genetic Composition Tunes Host Longevity. Cell. 2017;169:1249-1262.e13 pubmed publisher..promote longevity through increased secretion of the polysaccharide colanic acid (CA), which regulates mitochondrial dynamics and unfolded protein response (UPRmt) in the host...
- Luz A, Godebo T, Smith L, Leuthner T, Maurer L, Meyer J. Deficiencies in mitochondrial dynamics sensitize Caenorhabditis elegans to arsenite and other mitochondrial toxicants by reducing mitochondrial adaptability. Toxicology. 2017;387:81-94 pubmed publisher..This research demonstrates the importance of mitochondrial dynamics in limiting arsenite toxicity by permitting mitochondrial adaptability...
- Das S, Vasanthi H, Parjapath R. MitomiRs Keep the Heart Beating. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:431-450 pubmed publisher..We term this subset of miRNAs as "MitomiRs". ..
- Ko A, Kang T. TRPC6-mediated ERK1/2 phosphorylation prevents dentate granule cell degeneration via inhibiting mitochondrial elongation. Neuropharmacology. 2017;121:120-129 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that TRPC6 may regulate mitochondrial dynamics via ERK1/2-mediaed DRP1 activation, which would be involved in DGC invulnerability to SE...
- Ikon N, Ryan R. Cardiolipin and mitochondrial cristae organization. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr. 2017;1859:1156-1163 pubmed publisher..Once established, cristae ultrastructure has a direct impact on oxidative phosphorylation, apoptosis, fusion/fission as well as diseases of compromised energy metabolism. ..
- Barel O, Malicdan M, Ben Zeev B, Kandel J, Pri Chen H, Stephen J, et al. Deleterious variants in TRAK1 disrupt mitochondrial movement and cause fatal encephalopathy. Brain. 2017;140:568-581 pubmed publisher..This study confirms the role of TRAK1 in mitochondrial dynamics and constitutes the first report of this gene in association with a severe neurodevelopmental disorder.
- Li J, Huang Q, Long X, Guo X, Sun X, Jin X, et al. Mitochondrial elongation-mediated glucose metabolism reprogramming is essential for tumour cell survival during energy stress. Oncogene. 2017;36:4901-4912 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study demonstrates that remodelling of mitochondrial morphology plays a critical role in tumour cell adaptation to energy stress by reprogramming glucose metabolism. ..
- Zheng X, Chen M, Meng X, Chu X, Cai C, Zou F. Phosphorylation of dynamin-related protein 1 at Ser616 regulates mitochondrial fission and is involved in mitochondrial calcium uniporter-mediated neutrophil polarization and chemotaxis. Mol Immunol. 2017;87:23-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study identifies the dependence of neutrophil polarization and chemotaxis on the MCU and highlights the importance of regulating mitochondrial fission during the anti-inflammatory cascade in human neutrophils. ..
- Lyons A, Coleman M, Riis S, Favre C, O Flanagan C, Zhdanov A, et al. Insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling is essential for mitochondrial biogenesis and mitophagy in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16983-16998 pubmed publisher..This core mitochondrial protective signal is likely to strongly influence responses to therapy and the phenotypic evolution of cancer. ..
- Prakasam G, Singh R, Iqbal M, Saini S, Tiku A, Bamezai R. Pyruvate kinase M knockdown-induced signaling via AMP-activated protein kinase promotes mitochondrial biogenesis, autophagy, and cancer cell survival. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15561-15576 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our observations, we propose an alternative therapeutic strategy of silencing either of the PKM isoforms along with AMPK in tumors. ..
- Flippo K, Strack S. Mitochondrial dynamics in neuronal injury, development and plasticity. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:671-681 pubmed publisher..b>Mitochondrial dynamics, a collective term for the processes of mitochondrial fission, fusion and transport, governs mitochondrial ..
- Sorriento D, Gambardella J, Fiordelisi A, Trimarco B, Ciccarelli M, Iaccarino G, et al. Mechanistic Role of Kinases in the Regulation of Mitochondrial Fitness. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:521-528 pubmed publisher..Here we examine the mechanistic role of cellular kinases in the fine regulation of key mitochondrial activities, including mitochondrial quality control, fission/fusion processes, metabolism, and mitophagy. ..
- Kathayat R, Cao Y, Elvira P, Sandoz P, Zaballa M, Springer M, et al. Active and dynamic mitochondrial S-depalmitoylation revealed by targeted fluorescent probes. Nat Commun. 2018;9:334 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this work reveals that mitochondrial S-palmitoylation is actively regulated by "eraser" enzymes that respond to alterations in mitochondrial lipid homeostasis. ..
- Zhang X, Chen W, Li J, Qi S, Hong S, Wang Y, et al. Involvement of mitochondrial fission in calcium sensing receptor-mediated vascular smooth muscle cells proliferation during hypertension. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;495:454-460 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that CaSR-mediated mitochondrial fission could be a therapeutic target for hyperproliferative disorders. ..
- Burman J, Pickles S, Wang C, Sekine S, Vargas J, Zhang Z, et al. Mitochondrial fission facilitates the selective mitophagy of protein aggregates. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3231-3247 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a new model that, instead of promoting mitophagy, fission protects healthy mitochondrial domains from elimination by unchecked PINK1-Parkin activity. ..
- Nan J, Hu H, Sun Y, Zhu L, Wang Y, Zhong Z, et al. TNFR2 Stimulation Promotes Mitochondrial Fusion via Stat3- and NF-kB-Dependent Activation of OPA1 Expression. Circ Res. 2017;121:392-410 pubmed publisher..This process was facilitated by p300-mediated Stat3 acetylation and Stat3/RelA interactions, leading to improvements in mitochondrial morphology and function. ..
- BÃ¶ckler S, Chelius X, Hock N, Klecker T, Wolter M, Weiss M, et al. Fusion, fission, and transport control asymmetric inheritance of mitochondria and protein aggregates. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2481-2498 pubmed publisher..Together, these data suggest that coordination of mitochondrial transport, fusion, and fission is critical for asymmetric division and rejuvenation of daughter cells. ..
- Park J, Min J, Chae U, Lee J, Song K, Lee H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of oleuropein on microglia through regulation of Drp1-dependent mitochondrial fission. J Neuroimmunol. 2017;306:46-52 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a potential role of oleuropein in microglial inflammation-mediated neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Jin X, Xu Z, Zhao X, Chen M, Xu S. The antagonistic effect of selenium on lead-induced apoptosis via mitochondrial dynamics pathway in the chicken kidney. Chemosphere. 2017;180:259-266 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to evaluate the roles of mitochondrial dynamics on Pb-induced apoptosis in the chicken kidney and investigate the antagonistic effect of Se...
- Wang Y, Subramanian M, Yurdagul A, Barbosa Lorenzi V, Cai B, de Juan Sanz J, et al. Mitochondrial Fission Promotes the Continued Clearance of Apoptotic Cells by Macrophages. Cell. 2017;171:331-345.e22 pubmed publisher..Thus, mitochondrial fission in response to AC uptake is a critical process that enables macrophages to clear multiple ACs and to avoid the pathologic consequences of defective efferocytosis in vivo. ..
- Zhou X, Han T, Chen H, Baker P, Qi H, Zhang H. Impaired mitochondrial fusion, autophagy, biogenesis and dysregulated lipid metabolism is associated with preeclampsia. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:195-204 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we revealed abnormal regulation of mitochondrial dynamics, autophagy, and biogenesis in sPE...
- Hoppel C, Lesnefsky E, Chen Q, Tandler B. Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Cardiovascular Aging. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:451-464 pubmed publisher..Because these cardiac health issues are localized to specific mitochondria, these organelles offer potential targets for therapeutic approaches that could favorably affect the aging process in heart. ..
- Williams E, Chen X, Moore D. VPS35, the Retromer Complex and Parkinson's Disease. J Parkinsons Dis. 2017;7:219-233 pubmed publisher..e. ?-synuclein, LRRK2 and parkin) in PD. Present data support a role for perturbed VPS35 and retromer function in the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Chaudhari S, Kipreos E. Increased mitochondrial fusion allows the survival of older animals in diverse C. elegans longevity pathways. Nat Commun. 2017;8:182 pubmed publisherMitochondria are dynamic organelles that undergo fusion and fission events. Mitochondrial dynamics are required for mitochondrial viability and for responses to changes in bioenergetic status...
- Liu X, Wang W, Song G, Wei X, Zeng Y, Han P, et al. Astragaloside IV ameliorates diabetic nephropathy by modulating the mitochondrial quality control network. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182558 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, administration of AS-IV could retard DN progression in type 2 diabetes mice, which might be associated with restoration of the mitochondrial quality control network. ..
- Carrascoso I, Alcalde J, SÃ¡nchez JimÃ©nez C, GonzÃ¡lez SÃ¡nchez P, Izquierdo J. T-Cell Intracellular Antigens and Hu Antigen R Antagonistically Modulate Mitochondrial Activity and Dynamics by Regulating Optic Atrophy 1 Gene Expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2017;37: pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results provide molecular insights into the antagonistic functions of TIA1b/TIARb and HuR in mitochondrial activity dynamics and suggest that their balance might contribute to mitochondrial physiopathology. ..
- Zhang G, Frederick D, Wu L, Wei Z, Krepler C, Srinivasan S, et al. Targeting mitochondrial biogenesis to overcome drug resistance to MAPK inhibitors. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:1834-56 pubmed publisher..Our study establishes mitochondrial biogenesis, coupled with aberrant tumor bioenergetics, as a potential therapy escape mechanism and paves the way for a rationale-based combinatorial strategy to improve the efficacy of MAPKi. ..
- White C, Datta G, Giordano S. High-Density Lipoprotein Regulation of Mitochondrial Function. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:407-429 pubmed publisher..This chapter examines the role of HDL-associated apolipoproteins and lipids in the regulation of mitochondrial function and bioenergetics. ..
- Vartanian V, Tumová J, Dobrzyn P, Dobrzyn A, Nakabeppu Y, Lloyd R, et al. 8-oxoguanine DNA glycosylase (OGG1) deficiency elicits coordinated changes in lipid and mitochondrial metabolism in muscle. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181687 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate a role for skeletal muscle OGG1 in the maintenance of optimal tissue function. ..
- Yu T, Zhang Y, Li P. Mitochondrial Ubiquitin Ligase in Cardiovascular Disorders. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:327-333 pubmed publisherb>Mitochondrial dynamics play a critical role in cellular responses and physiological process...
- Masson J, Murphy A, Lee M, Ostrowski M, Crowe S, Palmer C. Assessment of metabolic and mitochondrial dynamics in CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in virologically suppressed HIV-positive individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183931 pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences in mitochondrial dynamics between subject groups...
- Kwon D, Park E, Sesaki H, Kang S. Carbonyl cyanide 3-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP) suppresses STING-mediated DNA sensing pathway through inducing mitochondrial fission. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:737-743 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the coupling of the STING signaling platform to mitochondria dynamics. ..
- Jiang C, Xie C, Li F, Zhang L, Nichols R, Krausz K, et al. Intestinal farnesoid X receptor signaling promotes nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:386-402 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that inhibition of intestinal FXR is a potential therapeutic target for NAFLD treatment. ..
- Lee H, Smith S, Yoon Y. The short variant of the mitochondrial dynamin OPA1 maintains mitochondrial energetics and cristae structure. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:7115-7130 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that, contrary to conventional notion, S-OPA1 is fully competent for maintaining mitochondrial energetics and cristae structure. ..
- Szafranski P. Evolutionarily recent, insertional fission of mitochondrial cox2 into complementary genes in bilaterian Metazoa. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:269 pubmed publisher..The reported data also indicate that bilaterian animal mitogenomes may be carrying lineage-specific genes more often than previously thought, and suggest a homing endonuclease-based mechanism for insertional mitochondrial gene fission. ..
- Kandimalla R, Manczak M, Fry D, Suneetha Y, Sesaki H, Reddy P. Reduced dynamin-related protein 1 protects against phosphorylated Tau-induced mitochondrial dysfunction and synaptic damage in Alzheimer's disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:4881-4897 pubmed publisher..and immunostaining analyses, we measured mRNA expressions and protein levels of genes related to the mitochondrial dynamics—Drp1 and Fis1 (fission), Mfn1, Mfn2 and Opa1 (fusion), CypD (matrix), mitochondrial biogenesis—Nrf1, ..
- Lin C, Wang M. Microbial metabolites regulate host lipid metabolism through NR5A-Hedgehog signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:550-557 pubmed publisher..Here, we discovered that environmental methionine tunes bacterial methyl metabolism to regulate host mitochondrial dynamics and lipid metabolism in Caenorhabditis elegans through an endocrine crosstalk involving NR5A nuclear ..
- Viana Huete V, GuillÃ©n C, GarcÃa G, FernÃ¡ndez S, GarcÃa Aguilar A, Kahn C, et al. Male Brown Fat-Specific Double Knockout of IGFIR/IR: Atrophy, Mitochondrial Fission Failure, Impaired Thermogenesis, and Obesity. Endocrinology. 2018;159:323-340 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest a cause-and-effect relationship between failure in brown fat thermogenesis and increased adiposity and obesity. ..