Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteolytic breakdown of the MITOCHONDRIA.
- Zhao Y, Guo Y, Jiang Y, Zhu X, Liu Y, Zhang X. Mitophagy regulates macrophage phenotype in diabetic nephropathy rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;494:42-50 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that mitophage participates in the regulation of M1/M2 macrophage phenotype in diabetic nephropathy...
- Sorriento D, Gambardella J, Fiordelisi A, Trimarco B, Ciccarelli M, Iaccarino G, et al. Mechanistic Role of Kinases in the Regulation of Mitochondrial Fitness. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:521-528 pubmed publisher..Here we examine the mechanistic role of cellular kinases in the fine regulation of key mitochondrial activities, including mitochondrial quality control, fission/fusion processes, metabolism, and mitophagy. ..
- Zhang X, Yuan D, Sun Q, Xu L, Lee E, Lewis A, et al. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase regulates the PINK1/Parkin and DJ-1 pathways of mitophagy during sepsis. FASEB J. 2017;31:4382-4395 pubmed publisher..Zhang, X., Yuan, D., Sun, Q., Xu, L., Lee, E., Lewis, A. J., Zuckerbraun, B. S., Rosengart, M. R. Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase regulates the PINK1/Parkin and DJ-1 pathways of mitophagy during sepsis. ..
- Sun N, Malide D, Liu J, Rovira I, Combs C, Finkel T. A fluorescence-based imaging method to measure in vitro and in vivo mitophagy using mt-Keima. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:1576-1587 pubmed publisher..For confocal analysis of tissue from an mt-Keima mouse, the whole procedure generally takes no longer than 60 min, and the STED imaging usually takes <2 h. ..
- Narendra D, Walker J, Youle R. Mitochondrial quality control mediated by PINK1 and Parkin: links to parkinsonism. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2012;4: pubmed publisher..We also discuss how defects in mitophagy may be linked to Parkinson's disease. ..
- Luz A, Godebo T, Smith L, Leuthner T, Maurer L, Meyer J. Deficiencies in mitochondrial dynamics sensitize Caenorhabditis elegans to arsenite and other mitochondrial toxicants by reducing mitochondrial adaptability. Toxicology. 2017;387:81-94 pubmed publisher..It also suggests that individuals suffering from deficiencies in mitodynamic processes may be more susceptible to the mitochondrial toxicity of arsenic and other toxicants. ..
- Whitworth A, Pallanck L. PINK1/Parkin mitophagy and neurodegeneration-what do we really know in vivo?. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2017;44:47-53 pubmed publisher..interest recently following the discovery that two Parkinson's disease genes, PINK1 and parkin, regulate mitochondrial degradation (mitophagy)...
- Lyons A, Coleman M, Riis S, Favre C, O Flanagan C, Zhdanov A, et al. Insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling is essential for mitochondrial biogenesis and mitophagy in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16983-16998 pubmed publisher..This core mitochondrial protective signal is likely to strongly influence responses to therapy and the phenotypic evolution of cancer. ..
- Stern M. Evidence that a mitochondrial death spiral underlies antagonistic pleiotropy. Aging Cell. 2017;16:435-443 pubmed publisher..I suggest that the mitochondrial death spiral is not an error in cell physiology but rather a rational approach to the problem of enabling successful growth and reproduction in a competitive world of scarce nutrients...
- Sin J, McIntyre L, Stotland A, Feuer R, Gottlieb R. Coxsackievirus B Escapes the Infected Cell in Ejected Mitophagosomes. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Not only does this study reveal a novel mechanism of picornaviral dissemination, but also it sheds light on new therapeutic targets to treat CVB and potentially other picornaviral infections. ..
- Orlando A, Cazzaniga E, Tringali M, Gullo F, Becchetti A, Minniti S, et al. Mesoporous silica nanoparticles trigger mitophagy in endothelial cells and perturb neuronal network activity in a size- and time-dependent manner. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:3547-3559 pubmed publisher..25 mg/mL. These important advances could help the rational design of NPs intended for biomedical uses, demonstrating that careful toxicity evaluation is necessary before using MSNPs in patients. ..
- Lin M, Cheng X, Tammineni P, Xie Y, Zhou B, Cai Q, et al. Releasing Syntaphilin Removes Stressed Mitochondria from Axons Independent of Mitophagy under Pathophysiological Conditions. Neuron. 2017;94:595-610.e6 pubmed publisher..Our study provides new mechanistic insights into the maintenance of axonal mitochondrial quality through SNPH-mediated coordination of mitochondrial stress and motility before activation of Parkin-mediated mitophagy. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Dikic I. Proteasomal and Autophagic Degradation Systems. Annu Rev Biochem. 2017;86:193-224 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes molecular details of how proteasome and autophagy pathways are functionally interconnected in cells and indicates common principles and nodes of communication that can be therapeutically exploited. ..
- Knuppertz L, Warnsmann V, Hamann A, Grimm C, Osiewacz H. Stress-dependent opposing roles for mitophagy in aging of the ascomycete Podospora anserina. Autophagy. 2017;13:1037-1052 pubmed publisher..Overall our data uncover mitophagy as a dynamic pathway that specifically responds to different levels of mitochondrial oxidative stress and thereby affects organismal aging. ..
- Liu K, Lee J, Kim J, Wang L, Tian Y, Chan S, et al. Mitophagy Controls the Activities of Tumor Suppressor p53 to Regulate Hepatic Cancer Stem Cells. Mol Cell. 2017;68:281-292.e5 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that mitophagy controls the activities of p53 to maintain hepatic CSCs and provide an explanation as to why autophagy is required to promote hepatocarcinogenesis. ..
- Xiao B, Goh J, Xiao L, Xian H, Lim K, Liou Y. Reactive oxygen species trigger Parkin/PINK1 pathway-dependent mitophagy by inducing mitochondrial recruitment of Parkin. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16697-16708 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that ROS may act as a trigger for the induction of Parkin/PINK1-dependent mitophagy. In addition, our study casts doubt on the importance of protein quantity of PINK1 in the recruitment of Parkin to mitochondria. ..
- Ong S, Kalkhoran S, Hernández Reséndiz S, Samangouei P, Ong S, Hausenloy D. Mitochondrial-Shaping Proteins in Cardiac Health and Disease - the Long and the Short of It!. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2017;31:87-107 pubmed publisher..In this review article, we provide an overview of the mitochondrial fusion and fission proteins in the adult heart, and highlight their roles as novel therapeutic targets for treating cardiac disease. ..
- Xing Y, Liqi Z, Jian L, Qinghua Y, Qian Y. Doxycycline Induces Mitophagy and Suppresses Production of Interferon-? in IPEC-J2 Cells. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:21 pubmed publisher..As DOX is used extensively in pig husbandry, uncontrolled application poses a significant threat of viral infection, so stricter policies on its usage should be required. ..
- Li M, Mu D. [Mitophagy and nervous system disease]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2017;19:724-729 pubmed..This article reviews the research advances in the relationship between mitophagy and different types of nervous system diseases. ..
- Duann P, Lin P. Mitochondria Damage and Kidney Disease. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:529-551 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the cellular and molecular events that govern mitochondria functions in health and disease will potentially lead to improved therapeutics development. ..
- Torrealba N, Aranguiz P, Alonso C, Rothermel B, Lavandero S. Mitochondria in Structural and Functional Cardiac Remodeling. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;982:277-306 pubmed publisher..Here we will also review strategies to improve mitochondrial function and discuss their cardioprotective potential. ..
- McWilliams T, Muqit M. PINK1 and Parkin: emerging themes in mitochondrial homeostasis. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2017;45:83-91 pubmed publisher..The cell biology of mammalian mitophagy, and the roles of PINK1-Parkin signalling in vivo have emerged to be more complex than previously thought. ..
- Kruppa A, Kishi Itakura C, Masters T, Rorbach J, Grice G, Kendrick Jones J, et al. Myosin VI-Dependent Actin Cages Encapsulate Parkin-Positive Damaged Mitochondria. Dev Cell. 2018;44:484-499.e6 pubmed publisher..Our work uncovers a crucial step in mitochondrial quality control: the formation of MYO6-dependent actin cages that ensure isolation of damaged mitochondria from the network. ..
- Zhao C, Itagaki K, Gupta A, Odom S, Sandler N, Hauser C. Mitochondrial damage-associated molecular patterns released by abdominal trauma suppress pulmonary immune responses. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2014;76:1222-7 pubmed publisher..This may make the lung susceptible to pneumonia. This paradigm provides a novel mechanistic model of the relationship among blunt tissue trauma, systemic inflammation, and pneumonia that can be studied to improve trauma outcomes. ..
- Zheng Y, Zhang X, Chen Z. [Research progress on mechanism of Nix-mediated mitophagy]. Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2017;46:92-96 pubmed..Finally, as a BH3-only protein, Nix can compete with Beclin-1 to bind other members of Bcl-2 family resulting in increased free Beclin-1 in cytosol, which further promotes autophagy flux. ..
- Li W, Du M, Wang Q, Ma X, Wu L, Guo F, et al. FoxO1 Promotes Mitophagy in the Podocytes of Diabetic Male Mice via the PINK1/Parkin Pathway. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2155-2167 pubmed publisher..Our results link the antioxidative activity of FoxO1 with PINK1/Parkin-induced mitophagy, indicating a novel role of FoxO1 in diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Xiao B, Deng X, Lim G, Zhou W, Saw W, Zhou Z, et al. p62-Mediated mitochondrial clustering attenuates apoptosis induced by mitochondrial depolarization. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1308-1317 pubmed publisher..Together, our study demonstrates a protective role of mitochondrial clustering in mitophagy and helps in understanding how aggregation defends cells against stress. ..
- Papandreou M, Tavernarakis N. Monitoring Autophagic Responses in Caenorhabditis elegans. Methods Enzymol. 2017;588:429-444 pubmed publisher..Here, we outline the main tools and approaches to monitor and measure autophagic responses in C. elegans. ..
- Bravo San Pedro J, Kroemer G, Galluzzi L. Autophagy and Mitophagy in Cardiovascular Disease. Circ Res. 2017;120:1812-1824 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the intimate connection between autophagy, mitophagy, and cardiovascular disorders. ..
- Hu M, Luo Q, Alitongbieke G, Chong S, Xu C, Xie L, et al. Celastrol-Induced Nur77 Interaction with TRAF2 Alleviates Inflammation by Promoting Mitochondrial Ubiquitination and Autophagy. Mol Cell. 2017;66:141-153.e6 pubmed publisher..Together, our results identify Nur77 as a critical intracellular target for celastrol and unravel a mechanism of Nur77-dependent clearance of inflamed mitochondria to alleviate inflammation. ..
- Cormio A, Musicco C, Gasparre G, Cormio G, Pesce V, Sardanelli A, et al. Increase in proteins involved in mitochondrial fission, mitophagy, proteolysis and antioxidant response in type I endometrial cancer as an adaptive response to respiratory complex I deficiency. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:85-90 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in this cancer mitochondrial fission, antioxidant and anti-apoptotic response may be activated, as well as the discharge of damaged mitochondrial proteins as adaptation processes to mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Lee A, Jang Y, Hong S, Chang S, Park S, Kim S, et al. Ephedrine-induced mitophagy via oxidative stress in human hepatic stellate cells. J Toxicol Sci. 2017;42:461-473 pubmed publisher..Excessive mitophagy lead to cell death through imbalance of autophagic flux. Moreover, antioxidants and reducing Parkin level could serve as therapeutic targets for ephedrine-induced hepatotoxicity. ..
- Burman J, Pickles S, Wang C, Sekine S, Vargas J, Zhang Z, et al. Mitochondrial fission facilitates the selective mitophagy of protein aggregates. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3231-3247 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with a new model that, instead of promoting mitophagy, fission protects healthy mitochondrial domains from elimination by unchecked PINK1-Parkin activity. ..
- Lin W, Kuang H. Oxidative stress induces autophagy in response to multiple noxious stimuli in retinal ganglion cells. Autophagy. 2014;10:1692-701 pubmed..We aim to provide a more theoretical basis of oxidative stress-induced autophagy, and provide innovative targets for therapeutic intervention in retinopathy. ..
- Quan N, Sun W, Wang L, Chen X, Bogan J, Zhou X, et al. Sestrin2 prevents age-related intolerance to ischemia and reperfusion injury by modulating substrate metabolism. FASEB J. 2017;31:4153-4167 pubmed publisher..Sun, W., Wang, L., Chen, X., Bogan, J. S., Zhou, X., Cates, C., Liu, Q., Zheng, Y., Li J. Sestrin2 prevents age-related intolerance to ischemia and reperfusion injury by modulating substrate metabolism. ..
- Anding A, Baehrecke E. Cleaning House: Selective Autophagy of Organelles. Dev Cell. 2017;41:10-22 pubmed publisher..Here, we review our understanding of the mechanisms that regulate the clearance of organelles by autophagy and highlight gaps in our knowledge of these processes. ..
- Garcia D, Shaw R. AMPK: Mechanisms of Cellular Energy Sensing and Restoration of Metabolic Balance. Mol Cell. 2017;66:789-800 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the recently solved crystal structure of AMPK has shed light both into how nucleotides activate AMPK and, importantly, also into the sites bound by small molecule activators, thus providing a path for improved drugs. ..
- Massimini M, Palmieri C, De Maria R, Romanucci M, Malatesta D, De Martinis M, et al. 17-AAG and Apoptosis, Autophagy, and Mitophagy in Canine Osteosarcoma Cell Lines. Vet Pathol. 2017;54:405-412 pubmed publisher..Therefore, pharmacological treatments based on proapoptotic chemotherapy in association with autophagy regulators would benefit from a predictive in vitro screening of the target cell type. ..