Genomes and Genes
stem cell niche
Summary: A particular zone of tissue composed of a specialized microenvironment where stem cells are retained in a undifferentiated, self-renewable state.
- Cui D, Huang Z, Liu Y, Ouyang G. The multifaceted role of periostin in priming the tumor microenvironments for tumor progression. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2017;74:4287-4291 pubmed publisher..a critical role in establishing and remodeling tumor microenvironments such as the metastatic niche, cancer stem cell niche, perivascular niche, pre-metastatic niche, fibrotic microenvironment and bone marrow microenvironment...
- Cao W, Chen K, Bolkestein M, Yin Y, Verstegen M, Bijvelds M, et al. Dynamics of Proliferative and Quiescent Stem Cells in Liver Homeostasis and Injury. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:1133-1147 pubmed publisher..In the liver stem cell niche, where the proliferating LGR5+ cells are located, we identified a quiescent/slow-cycling cell ..
- Zhou B, Yu H, Yue R, Zhao Z, Rios J, Naveiras O, et al. Bone marrow adipocytes promote the regeneration of stem cells and haematopoiesis by secreting SCF. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:891-903 pubmed publisher..A-ZIP/F1 'fatless' mice exhibited delayed haematopoietic regeneration in long bones but not in tail vertebrae, where adipocytes inhibited vascularization. Adipocytes are a niche component that promotes haematopoietic regeneration. ..
- Quesenberry P, Goldberg L. A revisionist history of adult marrow stem cell biology or 'they forgot about the discard'. Leukemia. 2017;31:1678-1685 pubmed publisher..Work needs to proceed on characterizing the true stem cell population. ..
- Hau A, Grebbin B, Agoston Z, Anders Maurer M, MÃ¼ller T, GroÃŸ A, et al. MEIS homeodomain proteins facilitate PARP1/ARTD1-mediated eviction of histone H1. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2715-2729 pubmed publisher..These results for the first time link MEIS proteins to PARP-regulated chromatin dynamics and provide a mechanistic basis to explain the profound cellular changes elicited by these proteins. ..
- Stik G, Crequit S, Petit L, Durant J, Charbord P, Jaffredo T, et al. Extracellular vesicles of stromal origin target and support hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2217-2230 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study reveals that EVs are an important component of the HSPC niche, which may have major applications in regenerative medicine. ..
- Cook M, Cazin C, Amoyel M, Yamamoto S, Bach E, Nystul T. Neutral Competition for Drosophila Follicle and Cyst Stem Cell Niches Requires Vesicle Trafficking Genes. Genetics. 2017;206:1417-1428 pubmed publisher..a Drosophila ovary, contains two follicle stem cells (FSCs) that undergo neutral competition for the stem cell niche. Using the FSCs as a model, we performed a genetic screen through a collection of 126 mutants in essential ..
- Tammela T, Sanchez Rivera F, Cetinbas N, Wu K, Joshi N, Helenius K, et al. A Wnt-producing niche drives proliferative potential and progression in lung adenocarcinoma. Nature. 2017;545:355-359 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that strategies for disrupting pathways that maintain stem-like and niche cell phenotypes can translate into effective anti-cancer therapies. ..
- Fairfield H, Falank C, Harris E, DeMambro V, McDonald M, Pettitt J, et al. The skeletal cell-derived molecule sclerostin drives bone marrow adipogenesis. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:1156-1167 pubmed publisher..Importantly, with anti-sclerostin therapy at the forefront of osteoporosis treatment and a greater recognition of the role of BMAT in disease, these data are likely to have important clinical implications. ..
- HÃ©rault A, Binnewies M, Leong S, Calero Nieto F, Zhang S, Kang Y, et al. Myeloid progenitor cluster formation drives emergency and leukaemic myelopoiesis. Nature. 2017;544:53-58 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a previously unrecognized dynamic behaviour of GMPs in situ, which tunes emergency myelopoiesis and is hijacked in leukaemia. ..
- Yatsenko A, Shcherbata H. Stereotypical architecture of the stem cell niche is spatiotemporally established by miR-125-dependent coordination of Notch and steroid signaling. Development. 2018;145: pubmed publisher..Here, we show that during Drosophila ovarian germline stem cell niche formation, the status of Notch signaling in the cell can be reprogrammed...
- Carretta M, de Boer B, Jaques J, Antonelli A, Horton S, Yuan H, et al. Genetically engineered mesenchymal stromal cells produce IL-3 and TPO to further improve human scaffold-based xenograft models. Exp Hematol. 2017;51:36-46 pubmed publisher..This approach will be useful for functional study of the importance of niche factors in normal and malignant human hematopoiesis. ..
- Reinisch A, Hernandez D, Schallmoser K, Majeti R. Generation and use of a humanized bone-marrow-ossicle niche for hematopoietic xenotransplantation into mice. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:2169-2188 pubmed publisher..This protocol describes a robust and reproducible in vivo methodology for the study of normal and malignant human hematopoiesis in a more physiologic setting...
- Phinney D, Pittenger M. Concise Review: MSC-Derived Exosomes for Cell-Free Therapy. Stem Cells. 2017;35:851-858 pubmed publisher..Therefore, careful attention to detail in producing MSC exosomes may provide a new therapeutic paradigm for cell-free MSC-based therapies with decreased risk. Stem Cells 2017;35:851-858...
- Melzer C, von der Ohe J, Lehnert H, Ungefroren H, Hass R. Cancer stem cell niche models and contribution by mesenchymal stroma/stem cells. Mol Cancer. 2017;16:28 pubmed publisher..A better knowledge of CSC niche physiology may increase the chances that cancer stemness-depleting interventions ultimately result in arrest of tumor growth and metastasis. ..
- Hong J, Savina M, Du J, Devendran A, Kannivadi Ramakanth K, Tian X, et al. A Sacrifice-for-Survival Mechanism Protects Root Stem Cell Niche from Chilling Stress. Cell. 2017;170:102-113.e14 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of the DNA damage response in these CSCDs prevents their death but makes the stem cell niche more vulnerable to chilling stress...
- Crane G, Jeffery E, Morrison S. Adult haematopoietic stem cell niches. Nat Rev Immunol. 2017;17:573-590 pubmed publisher..Endothelial cells and mesenchymal stromal cells secrete factors that promote HSC maintenance in these niches, but other cell types also directly or indirectly regulate HSC niches. ..
- Choo H, Canner J, Vest K, Thompson Z, Pavlath G. A tale of two niches: differential functions for VCAM-1 in satellite cells under basal and injured conditions. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313:C392-C404 pubmed publisher..However, only basal fusion of Vcam1-/- SC with myofibers was decreased, contributing to decreased myofiber growth. These studies define differential roles for VCAM-1 in SC depending on the state of their niche. ..
- Yahata T, Ibrahim A, Muguruma Y, Eren M, Shaffer A, Watanabe N, et al. TGF-?-induced intracellular PAI-1 is responsible for retaining hematopoietic stem cells in the niche. Blood. 2017;130:2283-2294 pubmed publisher..Our findings open up a new field for the study of intracellular proteolysis as a regulatory mechanism of stem cell fate, which has the potential to improve clinical HSPC mobilization and transplantation protocols. ..
- Middelhoff M, Westphalen C, Hayakawa Y, Yan K, Gershon M, Wang T, et al. Dclk1-expressing tuft cells: critical modulators of the intestinal niche?. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G285-G299 pubmed publisher..Hence, we outline and discuss emerging evidence that strongly supports tuft cells as key regulatory cells in the complex network of the intestinal microenvironment. ..
- Shinin V, Panteleyev A. Targeting of Stem Cell Niches Using Unconventional Genetic Tools. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1413-1414 pubmed publisher..efficiently demarcates the telogen bulge inner layer, one of the critical structural components of the bulge stem cell niche. The successful use of this tool identified the inner root sheath as a cellular source of telogen bulge inner ..
- Huang J, Reilein A, Kalderon D. Yorkie and Hedgehog independently restrict BMP production in escort cells to permit germline differentiation in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2017;144:2584-2594 pubmed publisher..Thus, both the coupling and output of the Hh and Yki signaling pathways differ between FSCs and ECs despite their proximity and the fact that FSCs give rise directly to ECs. ..
- Yin Y, Li X, He X, Wu R, Sun H, Chen F. Leveraging Stem Cell Homing for Therapeutic Regeneration. J Dent Res. 2017;96:601-609 pubmed publisher..Considering both the promise and the obstacles of this approach, we discuss how matrix components of the in vivo milieu can be modified to promote the native regenerative process and inspire future tissue-engineering design. ..
- Mead A, Neo W, Barkas N, Matsuoka S, Giustacchini A, Facchini R, et al. Niche-mediated depletion of the normal hematopoietic stem cell reservoir by Flt3-ITD-induced myeloproliferation. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2005-2021 pubmed publisher..These findings, which establish that Flt3-ITD-driven myeloproliferation results in cell-extrinsic suppression of the normal HSC reservoir, are of relevance for several aspects of acute myeloid leukemia biology. ..
- Ko J, Lee H, Jeong H, Oh J. Ly6Chi monocytes are required for mesenchymal stem/stromal cell-induced immune tolerance in mice with experimental autoimmune uveitis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;494:6-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CD11bhiLy6Chi monocytes are critical for MSC-induced immune tolerance...
- Takubo K. [Stress response mechanism in hematopoietic stem cells.]. Clin Calcium. 2017;27:823-828 pubmed publisher..Understanding stress hematopoiesis is also critical to establish efficient methods enabling expansion in vitro of HSCs, since forced activation of the cell cycle by cytokine supplementation induces a stress-like cellular state. ..
- Rennert R, Sorkin M, Januszyk M, Duscher D, Kosaraju R, Chung M, et al. Diabetes impairs the angiogenic potential of adipose-derived stem cells by selectively depleting cellular subpopulations. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2014;5:79 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the utility of autologous ASCs for cell-based therapies in patients with diabetes may be limited and that interventions to improve cell function before application are warranted. ..
- Decker M, Martinez Morentin L, Wang G, Lee Y, Liu Q, Leslie J, et al. Leptin-receptor-expressing bone marrow stromal cells are myofibroblasts in primary myelofibrosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:677-688 pubmed publisher..Our data identify Lepr+ stromal lineage cells as the origin of myofibroblasts in PMF and suggest that targeting PDGFRA signalling could be an effective way to treat bone marrow fibrosis. ..
- HENRY C, CasÃ¡s Selves M, Kim J, Zaberezhnyy V, Aghili L, Daniel A, et al. Aging-associated inflammation promotes selection for adaptive oncogenic events in B cell progenitors. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:4666-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, modulation of inflammation--a common feature of aging--has the potential to limit aging-associated oncogenesis. ..
- Wang D, Sun H, Wei J, Cen B, DuBois R. CXCL1 Is Critical for Premetastatic Niche Formation and Metastasis in Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3655-3665 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our work also provides a rationale for development of CXCR2 antagonists to inhibit or prevent metastatic spread of disease. Cancer Res; 77(13); 3655-65. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Gesteira T, Sun M, Coulson Thomas Y, Yamaguchi Y, Yeh L, Hascall V, et al. Hyaluronan Rich Microenvironment in the Limbal Stem Cell Niche Regulates Limbal Stem Cell Differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4407-4421 pubmed publisher..To date, limited research has focused on unveiling the composition of the limbal stem cell niche, and, more important, on the role the specific stem cell niche may have in LSC differentiation and function...
- Kabiri Z, Greicius G, Madan B, Biechele S, Zhong Z, Zaribafzadeh H, et al. Stroma provides an intestinal stem cell niche in the absence of epithelial Wnts. Development. 2014;141:2206-15 pubmed..However, in vivo, the source of Wnts in the stem cell niche is less clear...
- Suijkerbuijk S, van Rheenen J. From good to bad: Intravital imaging of the hijack of physiological processes by cancer cells. Dev Biol. 2017;428:328-337 pubmed publisher..We describe how visualization of these dynamic processes in living mice has broadened to our view on cancer initiation and progression. ..
- Bhartiya D. Stem cells, progenitors & regenerative medicine: A retrospection. Indian J Med Res. 2015;141:154-61 pubmed
- Zeng J, Dong Z, Wu H, Tian Z, Zhao Z. Redox regulation of plant stem cell fate. EMBO J. 2017;36:2844-2855 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanistic framework for ROS-mediated control of plant stem cell fate and demonstrate that the balance between O2·- and H2O2 is key to stem cell maintenance and differentiation. ..
- Alonso S, Jones R, Ghiaur G. Retinoic acid, CYP26, and drug resistance in the stem cell niche. Exp Hematol. 2017;54:17-25 pubmed publisher..Induction of stromal CYP26 by either one of these pathways limits retinoic acid concentration in the stem cell niche, with profound effects on tissue homeostasis and drug resistance...
- Rutledge E, Bénazet J, McMahon A. Cellular heterogeneity in the ureteric progenitor niche and distinct profiles of branching morphogenesis in organ development. Development. 2017;144:3177-3188 pubmed publisher..These studies highlight a shared gene set with multi-organ tip enrichment and a gene set specific to UBTs. This comprehensive analysis extends our current understanding of the ureteric branch tip niche. ..
- Zhao C, Cai S, Shin K, Lim A, Kalisky T, Lu W, et al. Stromal Gli2 activity coordinates a niche signaling program for mammary epithelial stem cells. Science. 2017;356: pubmed publisherThe stem cell niche is a complex local signaling microenvironment that sustains stem cell activity during organ maintenance and regeneration...
- Maryanovich M, Frenette P. T-Regulating Hair Follicle Stem Cells. Immunity. 2017;46:979-981 pubmed publisher..2017) reveal a function for Treg cells in stem cell maintenance by showing that skin-resident Foxp3+ Treg cells preferentially localize to the hair follicle stem cell (HFSC) niche to control HFSC-mediated hair regeneration. ..
- Jiang X, Hawkins J, Lee J, Lizama C, Bos F, Zape J, et al. Let-7 microRNA-dependent control of leukotriene signaling regulates the transition of hematopoietic niche in mice. Nat Commun. 2017;8:128 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors show that changing miRNA biogenesis and leukotriene B4 signaling in mice modulates this switch in the niche. ..
- Suhito I, Han Y, Kim D, Son H, Kim T. Effects of two-dimensional materials on human mesenchymal stem cell behaviors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:578-584 pubmed publisher..In summary, 2D materials could act as favorable sources for controlling the stem cell growth and differentiation, which might be highly advantageous in both biomedical research and therapy. ..
- Shimizu H, Wilkin M, Woodcock S, Bonfini A, Hung Y, Mazaleyrat S, et al. The Drosophila ZO-1 protein Polychaetoid suppresses Deltex-regulated Notch activity to modulate germline stem cell niche formation. Open Biol. 2017;7: pubmed publisher..the physiological relevance and direction of the Pyd/Dx interaction by showing that the expanded ovary stem cell niche phenotypes of pyd mutants require the presence of functional Dx and other components that are specific ..
- Cowan M, Dvorak C, Long Boyle J. Opening Marrow Niches in Patients Undergoing Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Gene Therapy. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2017;31:809-822 pubmed publisher..Significant pharmacokinetic variability exists in drug clearance in children less than 12 years old. Thus, pharmacokinetic monitoring is needed to achieve the targeted exposure goal for busulfan. ..