Genomes and Genes
Summary: Local surroundings with which cells interact by processing various chemical and physical signals, and by contributing their own effects to this environment.
- Nairz M, Theurl I, Swirski F, Weiss G. "Pumping iron"-how macrophages handle iron at the systemic, microenvironmental, and cellular levels. Pflugers Arch. 2017;469:397-418 pubmed publisher..This review provides a brief overview of systemic, microenvironmental, and cellular aspects of macrophage iron handling with a focus on exciting and unresolved questions in the field. ..
- Leskova A, Pardue S, Glawe J, Kevil C, Shen X. Role of thiosulfate in hydrogen sulfide-dependent redox signaling in endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H256-H264 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings also reveal that thiosulfate surprisingly inhibits VEGF-dependent endothelial cell proliferation associated with a reduction in cystathionine-?-lyase protein levels. ..
- Kubicek Sutherland J, Heithoff D, Ersoy S, Shimp W, House J, Marth J, et al. Host-dependent Induction of Transient Antibiotic Resistance: A Prelude to Treatment Failure. EBioMedicine. 2015;2:1169-78 pubmed publisher..This host-dependent mechanism of transient antibiotic resistance is applicable to multiple pathogens and has implications for the development of more effective antimicrobial therapies. ..
- Ishino Y, Yetman M, Sossi S, Steinecke A, Hayano Y, Taniguchi H. Regional Cellular Environment Shapes Phenotypic Variations of Hippocampal and Neocortical Chandelier Cells. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9901-9916 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our study suggests that local cortical environment shapes the phenotypes of regional IN variants, which may be required for unique circuit operations in distinct cortical regions. ..
- Nussbaum K, Burkhard S, Ohs I, Mair F, Klose C, Arnold S, et al. Tissue microenvironment dictates the fate and tumor-suppressive function of type 3 ILCs. J Exp Med. 2017;214:2331-2347 pubmed publisher..We thus propose that the tissue microenvironment, combined with ontogeny, provides the specific function, whereas the phenotype is insufficient to predict the functional properties of ILCs. ..
- Jakobson C, Tullman Ercek D, Slininger M, Mangan N. A systems-level model reveals that 1,2-Propanediol utilization microcompartments enhance pathway flux through intermediate sequestration. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005525 pubmed publisher..Our results also suggest that the encapsulation of heterologous pathways in bacterial microcompartments might yield significant benefits for pathway flux, as well as for toxicity mitigation. ..
- Shah S, Singh A. Creating artificial lymphoid tissues to study immunity and hematological malignancies. Curr Opin Hematol. 2017;24:377-383 pubmed publisher..Thus, artificial tissues are being developed to study these interactions in the context of immune development, function, and disease...
- Taketomi Y, Murakami M. Immunological Regulation by Bioactive Lipids. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2017;137:503-515 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on newly identified functional aspects of bioactive lipids with regard to their immune regulation and functional outcomes in both homeostasis and allergic disease. ..
- McCarthy M. Location, Location, Location: Microglia Are Where They Live. Neuron. 2017;95:233-235 pubmed publisher..2017). Differences appear 2 weeks after birth, and depletion and recolonization in adulthood recapitulate the original phenotype, implicating local environment as mediators of microglial phenotype. ..
- Huang G, Li F, Zhao X, Ma Y, Li Y, Lin M, et al. Functional and Biomimetic Materials for Engineering of the Three-Dimensional Cell Microenvironment. Chem Rev. 2017;117:12764-12850 pubmed publisher..This review encapsulates where recent advances appear to leave the ever-shifting state of the art, and it highlights areas in which substantial potential and uncertainty remain...
- Passaro D, di Tullio A, Abarrategi A, Rouault Pierre K, Foster K, Ariza McNaughton L, et al. Increased Vascular Permeability in the Bone Marrow Microenvironment Contributes to Disease Progression and Drug Response in Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Cancer Cell. 2017;32:324-341.e6 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of NO production reduced vascular permeability, preserved normal hematopoietic stem cell function, and improved treatment response in PDX. ..
- Wang D, Huang S, Yuan X, Liang J, Xu R, Yao G, et al. The regulation of the Treg/Th17 balance by mesenchymal stem cells in human systemic lupus erythematosus. Cell Mol Immunol. 2017;14:423-431 pubmed publisher..Both anti-IL-6 antibody and IDO inhibitor had no effects on Treg and Th17 cells. UC MSCs up-regulate Treg and down-regulate Th17 cells through the regulation of TGF-? and PGE2 in lupus patients. ..
- Feng C, Yang M, Lan M, Liu C, Zhang Y, Huang B, et al. ROS: Crucial Intermediators in the Pathogenesis of Intervertebral Disc Degeneration. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:5601593 pubmed publisher..Further investigations based on in vivo and clinical studies will be required to develop effective antioxidative therapies for IDD. ..
- Zhang Y, Kim M, Jia B, Yan J, Zuniga Hertz J, Han C, et al. Hypothalamic stem cells control ageing speed partly through exosomal miRNAs. Nature. 2017;548:52-57 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ageing speed is substantially controlled by hypothalamic stem cells, partially through the release of exosomal miRNAs. ..
- ..A second part describes experimental studies in transgenic mouse models of brain autoimmunity, EAE, which relate to possible functions of autoimmune B cells and to their recruitment from the regular B cell repertoire. ..
- Chauhan A, Vera J, Wolkenhauer O. The systems biology of mitochondrial fission and fusion and implications for disease and aging. Biogerontology. 2014;15:1-12 pubmed..This will help us to understand how different regulatory mechanisms regulate the ATP and mutation (mtDNA) landscape of mitochondria to a variety of environmental stimuli in order to maintain their function during aging. ..
- Clements M, Byrne E, Camarillo Guerrero L, Cattin A, Zakka L, Ashraf A, et al. The Wound Microenvironment Reprograms Schwann Cells to Invasive Mesenchymal-like Cells to Drive Peripheral Nerve Regeneration. Neuron. 2017;96:98-114.e7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the wound microenvironment is a key determinant of Schwann cell identity, and it promotes nerve repair through integration of multiple concerted signals. VIDEO ABSTRACT. ..
- Lin S, Luo R, Shrestha M, Thirman M, Mulloy J. The full transforming capacity of MLL-Af4 is interlinked with lymphoid lineage commitment. Blood. 2017;130:903-907 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that defective self-renewal ability and leukemogenesis of MLL-Af4 myeloid cells could contribute to the strong B-cell ALL association of MLL-AF4 leukemia observed in the clinic. ..
- Gesteira T, Sun M, Coulson Thomas Y, Yamaguchi Y, Yeh L, Hascall V, et al. Hyaluronan Rich Microenvironment in the Limbal Stem Cell Niche Regulates Limbal Stem Cell Differentiation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4407-4421 pubmed publisher..Finally, our findings suggest that HA has a major role in maintaining the LSC phenotype. ..
- Middelhoff M, Westphalen C, Hayakawa Y, Yan K, Gershon M, Wang T, et al. Dclk1-expressing tuft cells: critical modulators of the intestinal niche?. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G285-G299 pubmed publisher..Hence, we outline and discuss emerging evidence that strongly supports tuft cells as key regulatory cells in the complex network of the intestinal microenvironment. ..
- Yang L, Tucker D, Dong Y, Wu C, Lu Y, Li Y, et al. Photobiomodulation therapy promotes neurogenesis by improving post-stroke local microenvironment and stimulating neuroprogenitor cells. Exp Neurol. 2018;299:86-96 pubmed publisher..These findings provide strong support for the promising therapeutic effect of PBM on neuronal repair following ischemic stroke. ..
- Cohen R, Pielak G. Quinary interactions with an unfolded state ensemble. Protein Sci. 2017;26:1698-1703 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the cellular environment can also remodel the unfolded state ensemble. ..
- Chen X, Eksioglu E, Zhou J, Zhang L, Djeu J, Fortenbery N, et al. Induction of myelodysplasia by myeloid-derived suppressor cells. J Clin Invest. 2013;123:4595-611 pubmed..These findings indicate that primary bone marrow expansion of MDSC driven by the S100A9/CD33 pathway perturbs hematopoiesis and contributes to the development of MDS. ..
- Uehara N, Kukita A, Kyumoto Nakamura Y, Yamaza T, Yasuda H, Kukita T. Osteoblast-derived Laminin-332 is a novel negative regulator of osteoclastogenesis in bone microenvironments. Lab Invest. 2017;97:1235-1244 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Lm-332 produced by osteoblasts in bone tissues has a pivotal role in controlling normal bone remodeling through suppressing osteoclastogenesis. ..
- Dumeaux V, Fjukstad B, Fjosne H, Frantzen J, Holmen M, Rodegerdts E, et al. Interactions between the tumor and the blood systemic response of breast cancer patients. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005680 pubmed publisher..The catalog of subtype-specific interactions across tissues from BC patients provides promising new ways to tackle or monitor the disease by exploiting the patient SR. ..
- Sero J, Sailem H, Ardy R, Almuttaqi H, Zhang T, Bakal C. Cell shape and the microenvironment regulate nuclear translocation of NF-?B in breast epithelial and tumor cells. Mol Syst Biol. 2015;11:790 pubmed..Thus, mechanical factors such as cell shape and the microenvironment can influence NF-?B signaling and may in part explain how different phenotypic outcomes can arise from the same chemical cues. ..
- Moulisová V, González García C, Cantini M, Rodrigo Navarro A, Weaver J, Costell M, et al. Engineered microenvironments for synergistic VEGF - Integrin signalling during vascularization. Biomaterials. 2017;126:61-74 pubmed publisher..PEA-driven organization of FN promotes efficient presentation of VEGF to promote vascularization in regenerative medicine applications. ..
- Boothby M, Rickert R. Metabolic Regulation of the Immune Humoral Response. Immunity. 2017;46:743-755 pubmed publisher..Moreover, emerging findings reveal a cross-talk among the external milieu, signal transduction pathways, and transcription factors that direct B cell fate in the periphery. ..
- Ghiaur G, Levis M. Mechanisms of Resistance to FLT3 Inhibitors and the Role of the Bone Marrow Microenvironment. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2017;31:681-692 pubmed publisher..Although novel FLT3 inhibitors are being developed, studies into mechanisms of resistance raise hope of new strategies to prevent emergence of resistance and eliminate minimal residual disease. ..
- Dou X, Sun Y, Li J, Zhang J, Hao D, Liu W, et al. Short-term rapamycin treatment increases ovarian lifespan in young and middle-aged female mice. Aging Cell. 2017;16:825-836 pubmed publisher..In order not to disturb fertility in young adults, investigators should in the future consider applying the protocol later in life so as to delay menopause in women, and at the same time increase ovarian lifespan. ..
- Takizawa H, Manz M. Impact of inflammation on early hematopoiesis and the microenvironment. Int J Hematol. 2017;106:27-33 pubmed publisher..e., might lead to HSPC damage as bone marrow failure or leukemia. Thus, inflammation requires tight control of initiation and termination in time and space dependent manner. ..
- Wilmore J, Allman D. Here, There, and Anywhere? Arguments for and against the Physical Plasma Cell Survival Niche. J Immunol. 2017;199:839-845 pubmed publisher..In this review we discuss current concepts and information surrounding plasma cell survival niches, and consider two opposing models to explain long-term serologic immunity. ..
- van der Meulen T, Mawla A, Digruccio M, ADAMS M, Nies V, Dólleman S, et al. Virgin Beta Cells Persist throughout Life at a Neogenic Niche within Pancreatic Islets. Cell Metab. 2017;25:911-926.e6 pubmed publisher..By comparing co-existing immature and mature beta cells within healthy islets, we stand to learn how to mature insulin-expressing cells into functional beta cells. ..
- Chisolm D, Savic D, Moore A, Ballesteros Tato A, León B, Crossman D, et al. CCCTC-Binding Factor Translates Interleukin 2- and ?-Ketoglutarate-Sensitive Metabolic Changes in T Cells into Context-Dependent Gene Programs. Immunity. 2017;47:251-267.e7 pubmed publisher..The data collectively support a mechanism wherein CTCF serves to translate ?KG-sensitive metabolic changes into context-dependent differentiation gene programs. ..
- Dias Moura Prazeres P, Sena I, Borges I, de Azevedo P, Andreotti J, de Paiva A, et al. Pericytes are heterogeneous in their origin within the same tissue. Dev Biol. 2017;427:6-11 pubmed publisher..Reconstructing the lineage of pericytes is central to understanding development, and also for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases in which pericytes play important roles. ..
- Millet A, Martin K, Bonnefoy F, Saas P, Mocek J, Alkan M, et al. Proteinase 3 on apoptotic cells disrupts immune silencing in autoimmune vasculitis. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:4107-21 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that PR3 disrupts immune silencing associated with clearance of apoptotic neutrophils and provide insight into how PR3 and PR3-targeting ANCAs promote GPA pathophysiology. ..
- Tomov V, Palko O, Lau C, Pattekar A, Sun Y, Tacheva R, et al. Differentiation and Protective Capacity of Virus-Specific CD8+ T Cells Suggest Murine Norovirus Persistence in an Immune-Privileged Enteric Niche. Immunity. 2017;47:723-738.e5 pubmed publisher..Our studies revealed a strategy of immune evasion by MNV via the induction of a CD8+ T cell program normally reserved for latent pathogens and persistence in an immune-privileged enteric niche. ..