Genomes and Genes
Summary: Formation of MYELOID CELLS from the pluripotent HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLS in the BONE MARROW via MYELOID STEM CELLS. Myelopoiesis generally refers to the production of leukocytes in blood, such as MONOCYTES and GRANULOCYTES. This process also produces precursor cells for MACROPHAGE and DENDRITIC CELLS found in the lymphoid tissue.
- Li C, Zhan Y, Li W, Xu C, Xu W, Yu D, et al. Overexpression of a hematopoietic transcriptional regulator EDAG induces myelopoiesis and suppresses lymphopoiesis in transgenic mice. Leukemia. 2007;21:2277-86 pubmed..The myelopoiesis was enhanced with expansion of myeloid cells in BM, increased peripheral granulocytes and extramedullary ..
- Fazi F, Rosa A, Fatica A, Gelmetti V, De Marchis M, Nervi C, et al. A minicircuitry comprised of microRNA-223 and transcription factors NFI-A and C/EBPalpha regulates human granulopoiesis. Cell. 2005;123:819-31 pubmed..Altogether, our data indicate that miR-223 plays a crucial role during granulopoiesis and point to the NFI-A repression as an important molecular pathway mediating gene reprogramming in this cell lineage. ..
- Schepers H, Wierenga A, van Gosliga D, Eggen B, Vellenga E, Schuringa J. Reintroduction of C/EBPalpha in leukemic CD34+ stem/progenitor cells impairs self-renewal and partially restores myelopoiesis. Blood. 2007;110:1317-25 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that low C/EBPalpha levels are necessary to maintain self-renewal and the immature character of AML stem cells. ..
- Zimecki M, Artym J, Kocieba M. Endogenous steroids are responsible for lactoferrin-induced myelopoiesis in mice. Pharmacol Rep. 2009;61:705-10 pubmed..We conclude that LF-induced upregulation of endogenous steroid levels is responsible for the stimulation of myelopoiesis.
- Rupec R, Jundt F, Rebholz B, Eckelt B, Weindl G, Herzinger T, et al. Stroma-mediated dysregulation of myelopoiesis in mice lacking I kappa B alpha. Immunity. 2005;22:479-91 pubmed..In summary, we show that cell-fate decisions leading to a premalignant hematopoietic disorder can be initiated by nonhematopoietic cells with inactive I kappa B alpha. ..
- Pendino F, Nguyen E, Jonassen I, Dysvik B, Azouz A, Lanotte M, et al. Functional involvement of RINF, retinoid-inducible nuclear factor (CXXC5), in normal and tumoral human myelopoiesis. Blood. 2009;113:3172-81 pubmed publisher..RINF expression correlates with retinoid-induced differentiation of leukemic cells and with cytokine-induced myelopoiesis of normal CD34(+) progenitors...
- Wong W, Vince J, Lalaoui N, Lawlor K, Chau D, Bankovacki A, et al. cIAPs and XIAP regulate myelopoiesis through cytokine production in an RIPK1- and RIPK3-dependent manner. Blood. 2014;123:2562-72 pubmed publisher..To define the role of IAPs in myelopoiesis, we generated a mouse with cIAP1, cIAP2, and XIAP deleted in the myeloid lineage...
- Beekman J, Verhagen L, Geijsen N, Coffer P. Regulation of myelopoiesis through syntenin-mediated modulation of IL-5 receptor output. Blood. 2009;114:3917-27 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that cytokine-specific functions can be transduced by unique receptor alpha-chain-associating adapter proteins. ..
- Lee J, Wang C, Kim C. FoxP3+ regulatory T cells restrain splenic extramedullary myelopoiesis via suppression of hemopoietic cytokine-producing T cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:6377-86 pubmed publisherExtramedullary myelopoiesis occurs in peripheral organs such as spleen and produces many types of myeloid cells with diverse functions in response to inflammation and infection...
- Kumar A, Bharti A, Singh S. Effect of aspirin administration on reversal of tumor-induced suppression of myelopoiesis in T-cell lymphoma bearing host. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2012;48:238-46 pubmed publisher..studied the effect of aspirin administration in tumor-bearing hosts on bone marrow cellularity and myelopoiesis. Aspirin administration to mice bearing a transplantable T-cell lymphoma, designated as Dalton's lymphoma (DL), ..
- Alemdehy M, Erkeland S. MicroRNAs: key players of normal and malignant myelopoiesis. Curr Opin Hematol. 2012;19:261-7 pubmed publisher..function of some evolutionary conserved microRNAs that are abundantly expressed and tightly regulated during myelopoiesis. Global microRNA depletion studies in hematopoietic stem cells have shown the importance of microRNA-controlled ..
- Li L, Jin H, Xu J, Shi Y, Wen Z. Irf8 regulates macrophage versus neutrophil fate during zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis. Blood. 2011;117:1359-69 pubmed publisher..One key unresolved question is what factors dictate polymorphonuclear versus mononuclear lineage fates during myelopoiesis. Here we show that during zebrafish embryogenesis interferon regulatory factor-8 (irf8) is expressed ..
- Gibb D, Saleem S, Kang D, Subler M, Conrad D. ADAM10 overexpression shifts lympho- and myelopoiesis by dysregulating site 2/site 3 cleavage products of Notch. J Immunol. 2011;186:4244-52 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings indicate that the differential cleavage of Notch into S2 and S3 products regulated by ADAM10 is critical to hematopoietic cell-fate determination. ..
- Mora Garcia P, Cheng J, Crans Vargas H, Countouriotis A, Shankar D, Sakamoto K. Transcriptional regulators and myelopoiesis: the role of serum response factor and CREB as targets of cytokine signaling. Stem Cells. 2003;21:123-30 pubmed
- Liao H, Chen Y, Yang Y. A novel polysaccharide of black soybean promotes myelopoiesis and reconstitutes bone marrow after 5-flurouracil- and irradiation-induced myelosuppression. Life Sci. 2005;77:400-13 pubmedThe aim of this study was to investigate the promotion of myelopoiesis by an active polysaccharide of black soybean (PSBS)...
- Alenzi F, Al Ghamdi S, Tamimi W, Al Sebiany A, El Nashar I, El Tounsi I, et al. Apoptosis role of FAS/FAS ligand system in the regulation of myelopoiesis. Yale J Biol Med. 2005;78:25-36 pubmed..CFU-GM) from human bone marrow were used to investigate the role of Fas/FasL system in the regulation of myelopoiesis. Fas and FasL expression in CD34+ cells and in day 14 CFU-GM were measured by RT-PCR and immunofluorescence ..
- Wierenga A, Schepers H, Moore M, Vellenga E, Schuringa J. STAT5-induced self-renewal and impaired myelopoiesis of human hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells involves down-modulation of C/EBPalpha. Blood. 2006;107:4326-33 pubmed..5 (STAT5A) in human cord blood (CB)-derived stem/progenitor cells results in enhanced self-renewal and impaired myelopoiesis. The present study identifies C/EBPalpha as a critical component that is down-regulated by STAT5...
- Su F, Juarez M, Cooke C, Lapointe L, Shavit J, Yamaoka J, et al. Differential regulation of primitive myelopoiesis in the zebrafish by Spi-1/Pu.1 and C/ebp1. Zebrafish. 2007;4:187-99 pubmed..These data reveal strong functional conservation of pu.1 between zebrafish primitive myelopoiesis and mammalian definitive myelopoiesis...
- Fulzele K, Krause D, Panaroni C, Saini V, Barry K, Liu X, et al. Myelopoiesis is regulated by osteocytes through Gs?-dependent signaling. Blood. 2013;121:930-9 pubmed publisher..Here we report that these cells regulate hematopoiesis, constraining myelopoiesis through a Gs?-mediated mechanism that affects G-CSF production...
- Kamata T, Kang J, Lee T, Wojnowski L, Pritchard C, Leavitt A. A critical function for B-Raf at multiple stages of myelopoiesis. Blood. 2005;106:833-40 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that B-Raf plays a cell-autonomous role in megakaryocytopoiesis and a permissive role in myeloid progenitor development. ..
- Liongue C, Hall C, O Connell B, Crosier P, Ward A. Zebrafish granulocyte colony-stimulating factor receptor signaling promotes myelopoiesis and myeloid cell migration. Blood. 2009;113:2535-46 pubmed publisher..This contrasted with a posterior domain that was largely independent of this pathway. Definitive myelopoiesis was also partially dependent on a functional GCSF/GCSFR pathway...
- Aiello F, Keller J, Klarmann K, Dranoff G, Mazzucchelli R, Durum S. IL-7 induces myelopoiesis and erythropoiesis. J Immunol. 2007;178:1553-63 pubmed..were shown to be involved because mice deficient in both GM-CSF and IL-3 also responded to IL-7 with increased myelopoiesis. Candidate cytokines included IFN-gamma and Flt3 ligand, which were also produced in response to IL-7...
- Chandra R, Villanueva E, Feketova E, Machiedo G, Hasko G, Deitch E, et al. Endotoxemia down-regulates bone marrow lymphopoiesis but stimulates myelopoiesis: the effect of G6PD deficiency. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:1541-50 pubmed publisher..LPS-induced down-regulation of B cell production contributes to the generalized lymphopenia and lymphocyte dysfunction observed following nonspecific immune challenges. ..
- Angelopoulou M, Novelli E, Grove J, Rinder H, Civin C, Cheng L, et al. Cotransplantation of human mesenchymal stem cells enhances human myelopoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol. 2003;31:413-20 pubmed..Cotransplantation of human mesenchymal stem cells with CD34(+)-selected hematopoietic stem cells enhances myelopoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis.
- Tan J, O Neill H. Myelopoiesis in spleen-producing distinct dendritic-like cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2012;16:1924-33 pubmed publisher..A model is advanced for development of L-DC directly from haematopoietic progenitors in spleen and dependent on the spleen microenvironment. ..
- Bugeon L, Taylor H, Progatzky F, Lin M, Ellis C, Welsh N, et al. The NOTCH pathway contributes to cell fate decision in myelopoiesis. Haematologica. 2011;96:1753-60 pubmed publisherControversy persists regarding the role of Notch signaling in myelopoiesis. We have used genetic approaches, employing two Notch zebrafish mutants deadly seven (DES) and beamter (BEA) with disrupted function of notch1a and deltaC, ..
- Tenedini E, Roncaglia E, Ferrari F, Orlandi C, Bianchi E, Bicciato S, et al. Integrated analysis of microRNA and mRNA expression profiles in physiological myelopoiesis: role of hsa-mir-299-5p in CD34+ progenitor cells commitment. Cell Death Dis. 2010;1:e28 pubmed publisher..Gain- and loss-of-function experiments revealed that hsa-miR-299-5p participates in the regulation of hematopoietic progenitor fate, modulating megakaryocytic-granulocytic versus erythroid-monocytic differentiation. ..
- Zhang X, Lian Z, Padden C, Gerstein M, Rozowsky J, Snyder M, et al. A myelopoiesis-associated regulatory intergenic noncoding RNA transcript within the human HOXA cluster. Blood. 2009;113:2526-34 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that HOTAIRM1 plays a role in the myelopoiesis through modulation of gene expression in the HOXA cluster.
- Gabrilovich D, Nagaraj S. Myeloid-derived suppressor cells as regulators of the immune system. Nat Rev Immunol. 2009;9:162-74 pubmed publisher..In this Review, we discuss the origin, mechanisms of expansion and suppressive functions of MDSCs, as well as the potential to target these cells for therapeutic benefit. ..
- Proulx S, Kwok E, You Z, Papuga M, Beck C, Shealy D, et al. Elucidating bone marrow edema and myelopoiesis in murine arthritis using contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Arthritis Rheum. 2008;58:2019-29 pubmed publisher..BME signals in TNF-transgenic mice are caused by yellow to red marrow conversion, with increased myelopoiesis and increased marrow permeability. The factors that mediate these changes warrant further investigation.
- Pronk C, Attema J, Rossi D, Sigvardsson M, Bryder D. Deciphering developmental stages of adult myelopoiesis. Cell Cycle. 2008;7:706-13 pubmed..When functionally evaluated, such early granulocyte/monocyte precursors displayed a latent lymphoid activity, which was pronounced in subsets bearing high expression of the tyrosine kinase receptor FLT3. ..
- Lin C, Datta V, Okwan Duodu D, Chen X, Fuchs S, Alsabeh R, et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme is required for normal myelopoiesis. FASEB J. 2011;25:1145-55 pubmed publisher..abnormalities characterized by increased bone marrow myeloblasts and myelocytes, as well as extramedullary myelopoiesis. Peritoneal macrophages from ACE-KO mice were deficient in the production of effector molecules, such as tumor ..
- Fazi F, Racanicchi S, Zardo G, Starnes L, Mancini M, Travaglini L, et al. Epigenetic silencing of the myelopoiesis regulator microRNA-223 by the AML1/ETO oncoprotein. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:457-66 pubmed..myeloid leukemia-associated fusion protein, display low levels of a microRNA-223 (miR-223), a regulator of myelopoiesis. Here, we show that miR-223 is a direct transcriptional target of AML1/ETO...
- Cheadle C, Berger A, Andrade F, James R, Johnson K, Watkins T, et al. Transcription of proteinase 3 and related myelopoiesis genes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of patients with active Wegener's granulomatosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2010;62:1744-54 pubmed publisher..Transcription of PR3 and related myeloid differentiation genes in PBMCs may represent novel markers of disease activity in WG. ..
- Jones M, Nasirikenari M, Feng L, Migliore M, Choi K, Kazim L, et al. Role for hepatic and circulatory ST6Gal-1 sialyltransferase in regulating myelopoiesis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:25009-17 pubmed publisher..We considered the possibility that myelopoiesis is responsive to the sialylation of liver-derived circulatory glycoproteins, such that reduced alpha2,6-..
- Senyuk V, Zhang Y, Liu Y, Ming M, Premanand K, Zhou L, et al. Critical role of miR-9 in myelopoiesis and EVI1-induced leukemogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:5594-9 pubmed publisher..Ectopic expression of miR-9 strongly accelerates terminal myelopoiesis and promotes apoptosis in vitro and in vivo...
- Tall A, Yvan Charvet L, Westerterp M, Murphy A. Cholesterol efflux: a novel regulator of myelopoiesis and atherogenesis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2012;32:2547-52 pubmed publisher..Increasing high-density lipoprotein levels and cholesterol efflux can reverse excessive myelopoiesis and stem cell mobilization, suggesting a novel antiatherogenic effect of some forms of high-density lipoprotein ..
- Berman J, Kanki J, Look A. Zebrafish as a model for myelopoiesis during embryogenesis. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:997-1006 pubmed..The conservation of genes such as scl, pu.1, c/ebpalpha, mpo, l-plastin, and lysozyme C in myelopoiesis and the corresponding expression patterns in zebrafish suggests that shared genetic pathways regulate this ..
- Vassiliou G, Cooper J, Rad R, Li J, Rice S, Uren A, et al. Mutant nucleophosmin and cooperating pathways drive leukemia initiation and progression in mice. Nat Genet. 2011;43:470-5 pubmed publisher..allele in mouse hemopoietic stem cells causes Hox gene overexpression, enhanced self renewal and expanded myelopoiesis. One third of mice developed delayed-onset AML, suggesting a requirement for cooperating mutations...
- Moroz C, Grunspan A, Zahalka M, Traub L, Kodman Y, Yaniv I. Treatment of human bone marrow with recombinant placenta immunoregulator ferritin results in myelopoiesis and T-cell suppression through modulation of the cytokine-chemokine networks. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:159-66 pubmed..C48-PLIF enhancement of myelopoiesis resulted from cross talk between BM accessory cells and progenitor cells. The differential PLIF-C48 effects (i...
- Velu C, Baktula A, Grimes H. Gfi1 regulates miR-21 and miR-196b to control myelopoiesis. Blood. 2009;113:4720-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results not only identify microRNAs whose regulation is required during myelopoiesis, but also provide an example of synergy in microRNA biologic activity and illustrate potential mechanisms ..
- Osborn M, Ryan P, Kirchhof N, Panoskaltsis Mortari A, Mortari F, Tudor K. Overexpression of murine TSLP impairs lymphopoiesis and myelopoiesis. Blood. 2004;103:843-51 pubmed..Overexpression of TSLP disrupted hematopoietic homeostasis by causing imbalances in lymphopoiesis and myelopoiesis. Mice harboring a TSLP transgene had 5- to 700-fold fewer B and T precursors and no detectable pre-B lymphocyte ..
- Galloway J, Wingert R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Zon L. Loss of gata1 but not gata2 converts erythropoiesis to myelopoiesis in zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2005;8:109-16 pubmed..Our studies establish a transcriptional hierarchy of Gata factor dependence during hematopoiesis and demonstrate that gata1 plays an integral role in directing myelo-erythroid lineage fate decisions during embryogenesis. ..
- Buitenhuis M, Verhagen L, van Deutekom H, Castor A, Verploegen S, Koenderman L, et al. Protein kinase B (c-akt) regulates hematopoietic lineage choice decisions during myelopoiesis. Blood. 2008;111:112-21 pubmed..system was used to investigate the role of PI3K and its downstream effector, protein kinase B (PKB/c-akt) in myelopoiesis. PI3K activity was essential for hematopoietic progenitor survival...
- Olson K, Booth G, Poulin F, Sonenberg N, Beretta L. Impaired myelopoiesis in mice lacking the repressors of translation initiation, 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2. Immunology. 2009;128:e376-84 pubmed publisher..of myeloid cells in vitro, highlight the pivotal role of 4E-BP1 and 4E-BP2 in the early phases of myelopoiesis. These results represent the first in vivo evidence of the involvement of translation in the early phases of ..
- MacNamara K, Oduro K, Martin O, Jones D, McLaughlin M, Choi K, et al. Infection-induced myelopoiesis during intracellular bacterial infection is critically dependent upon IFN-? signaling. J Immunol. 2011;186:1032-43 pubmed publisher..Finally, using mixed bone marrow chimeric mice, we show that IFN-?-dependent infection-induced myelopoiesis occurs via the direct effect of the cytokine on developing myeloid cells...
- Nagareddy P, Murphy A, Stirzaker R, Hu Y, Yu S, Miller R, et al. Hyperglycemia promotes myelopoiesis and impairs the resolution of atherosclerosis. Cell Metab. 2013;17:695-708 pubmed publisher..with the receptor for advanced glycation end products on common myeloid progenitor cells, leads to enhanced myelopoiesis. Treatment of hyperglycemia reduces monocytosis, entry of monocytes into atherosclerotic lesions, and promotes ..
- Jia Y, Loison F, Hattori H, Li Y, Erneux C, Park S, et al. Inositol trisphosphate 3-kinase B (InsP3KB) as a physiological modulator of myelopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:4739-44 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate that InsP3KB is also a physiological modulator of myelopoiesis. The InsP3KB gene is expressed in all hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell populations...
- van Zuylen W, Garceau V, Idris A, Schroder K, Irvine K, Lattin J, et al. Macrophage activation and differentiation signals regulate schlafen-4 gene expression: evidence for Schlafen-4 as a modulator of myelopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e15723 pubmed publisher..Constitutive Slfn4 expression in the myeloid lineage in vivo perturbs myelopoiesis. We hypothesise that the down-regulation of Slfn4 gene expression during macrophage differentiation is a ..
- Qu P, Shelley W, Yoder M, Wu L, Du H, Yan C. Critical roles of lysosomal acid lipase in myelopoiesis. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:2394-404 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that LAL is an important regulator of myelopoiesis during hematopoietic development, differentiation, and homeostasis.
- Geissmann F, Manz M, Jung S, Sieweke M, Merad M, Ley K. Development of monocytes, macrophages, and dendritic cells. Science. 2010;327:656-61 pubmed publisher..Despite this, the origin and differentiation cues for many tissue macrophages, monocytes, and dendritic cell subsets in mice, and the corresponding cell populations in humans, remain to be elucidated...
- Kitaguchi T, Kawakami K, Kawahara A. Transcriptional regulation of a myeloid-lineage specific gene lysozyme C during zebrafish myelopoiesis. Mech Dev. 2009;126:314-23 pubmed publisher..lines that drive enhanced green fluorescent protein (EGFP) to examine how lyz expression is regulated during myelopoiesis. We found that the 2.4kb lyz promoter is sufficient to drive myeloid-specific expression of EGFP in zebrafish...
- Hogan B, Layton J, Pyati U, Nutt S, Hayman J, Varma S, et al. Specification of the primitive myeloid precursor pool requires signaling through Alk8 in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2006;16:506-11 pubmed..We show here that the Bmp receptor lost-a-fin/alk8 is required for rostral pu.1 expression and myelopoiesis, identifying an early genetic event that distinguishes between the induction of anterior and posterior ..