Genomes and Genes
Summary: Hypoxic conditions in tumor cells due to the tumor outgrowing its blood supply. It is associated with increased METASTASIS and resistance to RADIOTHERAPY and DRUG THERAPY.
- Ponte K, Berro D, Collet S, Constans J, Emery E, Valable S, et al. In Vivo Relationship Between Hypoxia and Angiogenesis in Human Glioblastoma: A Multimodal Imaging Study. J Nucl Med. 2017;58:1574-1579 pubmed publisher..This aggressiveness is in part attributed to the closely interrelated phenomena tumor hypoxia and angiogenesis, although few in vivo data exist in human brain tumors...
- Robichaud N, Sonenberg N. Translational control and the cancer cell response to stress. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2017;45:102-109 pubmed publisher..Emerging findings supporting this notion are the focus of this review. ..
- Xiang J, Sun H, Su L, Liu L, Shan J, Shen J, et al. Myocyte enhancer factor 2D promotes colorectal cancer angiogenesis downstream of hypoxia-inducible factor 1Î±. Cancer Lett. 2017;400:117-126 pubmed publisher..HIF-1Î± transactivates MEF2D expression by binding to the MEF2D gene promoter. These results demonstrate that the HIF-1Î±/MEF2D axis can serve as a therapeutic target for the treatment of CRC. ..
- Shang Y, Chen H, Ye J, Wei X, Liu S, Wang R. HIF-1?/Ascl2/miR-200b regulatory feedback circuit modulated the epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT) in colorectal cancer cells. Exp Cell Res. 2017;360:243-256 pubmed publisher..Our results confirmed a novel HIF-1?/Ascl2/miR-200b regulatory feedback circuit in modulating EMT-MET plasticity of CRC cells, which could serve as a possible therapeutic target. ..
- Maley C, Aktipis A, Graham T, Sottoriva A, Boddy A, Janiszewska M, et al. Classifying the evolutionary and ecological features of neoplasms. Nat Rev Cancer. 2017;17:605-619 pubmed publisher..The Evo- and Eco-indices provide a common lexicon for communicating about how neoplasms change in response to interventions, with potential implications for clinical trials, personalized medicine and basic cancer research. ..
- Abdul Rahim S, Dirkse A, Oudin A, Schuster A, Bohler J, Barthelemy V, et al. Regulation of hypoxia-induced autophagy in glioblastoma involves ATG9A. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:813-825 pubmed publisher..Combination with hypoxia-inducing agents may provide benefit by allowing to decrease the effective dose of autophagy inhibitors. ..
- Chan K, Leung C, Wong C, Ho D, Chok K, Lai C, et al. Secretory Stanniocalcin 1 promotes metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma through activation of JNK signaling pathway. Cancer Lett. 2017;403:330-338 pubmed publisher..In summary, secretory STC1 enhances metastatic potential of HCC via JNK signaling. It potentially serves as a prognostic serum biomarker and a therapeutic target for HCC. ..
- Stankevicius V, Kunigenas L, Stankunas E, Kuodyte K, Strainiene E, Cicenas J, et al. The expression of cancer stem cell markers in human colorectal carcinoma cells in a microenvironment dependent manner. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;484:726-733 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in order to design more efficient targeted therapies, we suggest that 3D cell culture models should be employed in cancer stem cell research. ..
- Ivan M, Kaelin W. The EGLN-HIF O2-Sensing System: Multiple Inputs and Feedbacks. Mol Cell. 2017;66:772-779 pubmed publisher..Based on novel interactions identified upstream and downstream of EGLNs, an integrated network connecting oxygen-sensing functions to metabolic and signaling pathways is gradually emerging with broad therapeutic implications. ..
- Sui H, Zhao J, Zhou L, Wen H, Deng W, Li C, et al. Tanshinone IIA inhibits Î²-catenin/VEGF-mediated angiogenesis by targeting TGF-Î²1 in normoxic and HIF-1Î±Â in hypoxic microenvironments in human colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett. 2017;403:86-97 pubmed publisher..Our research provides a new anti-angiogenesis strategy and strengthens support for the use of Tan IIA as an angiogenesis inhibitor. ..
- Foskolou I, Jorgensen C, Leszczynska K, Olcina M, Tarhonskaya H, Haisma B, et al. Ribonucleotide Reductase Requires Subunit Switching in Hypoxia to Maintain DNA Replication. Mol Cell. 2017;66:206-220.e9 pubmed publisher..The importance of RRM2B in the response to tumor hypoxia is further illustrated by correlation of its expression with a hypoxic signature in patient samples and its ..
- Morrison R, Rybak Smith M, Thompson J, Thiebaut B, Hill M, Townley H. Efficacy of radiosensitizing doped titania nanoparticles under hypoxia and preparation of an embolic microparticle. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:3851-3863 pubmed publisher..Such multimodal particles could therefore result in occlusion of the tumor blood vessels in conjunction with localized reactive oxygen species generation, even under hypoxic conditions such as those found in the center of tumors. ..
- Maciaczyk D, Picard D, Zhao L, Koch K, Herrera Rios D, Li G, et al. CBF1 is clinically prognostic and serves as a target to block cellular invasion and chemoresistance of EMT-like glioblastoma cells. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:102-112 pubmed publisher..Targeting CBF1 can be an effective anti-EMT therapy to impede invasive properties and chemosensitivity in those cells. ..
- Liu C, Shui C, Wang Q, Luo H, Gu C. Mechanism of hif-1? mediated hypoxia-induced permeability changes in bladder endothelial cells. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2017;51:e6768 pubmed publisher..05), while expression in the siHIF-1? hypoxic group was significantly lower than the hypoxic group (P<0.05). Findings suggest that HIF-1? is an important factor in the increase of bladder cancer cell permeability. ..
- Minoves M, Morand J, Perriot F, Chatard M, Gonthier B, Lemarié E, et al. An innovative intermittent hypoxia model for cell cultures allowing fast Po2 oscillations with minimal gas consumption. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313:C460-C468 pubmed publisher..This device will allow functional studies of the consequences of IH and deciphering of the molecular biology of IH at the cellular level using oxygen cycles that are clinically relevant to OSA. ..
- Feldman L, Fabre M, Grasso C, Reid D, Broaddus W, Lanza G, et al. Perfluorocarbon emulsions radiosensitise brain tumors in carbogen breathing mice with orthotopic GL261 gliomas. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184250 pubmed publisher..IV injections of PFC emulsions followed by 1h carbogen breathing, radiosensitises GL261 intracranial tumors. ..
- Jing S, Wang J, Xu Q. Expression of hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha and its clinical significance in esophageal carcinoma: A meta-analysis. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317717983 pubmed publisher..Hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha could be an indicator for differentiation, T classification, lymph node metastasis, and pathological tumor-node-metastasis stage, and it is worth further study. ..
- Wozny A, Lauret A, Battiston Montagne P, Guy J, Beuve M, Cunha M, et al. Differential pattern of HIF-1Î± expression in HNSCC cancer stem cells after carbon ion or photon irradiation: one molecular explanation of the oxygen effect. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:1340-1349 pubmed publisher..Hypoxia-inducible factor-1Î± plays a main role in the response of CSCs and non-CSCs to carbon ion and photon irradiations, which makes the HIF-1Î± targeting an attractive therapeutic challenge. ..
- Abrego J, Gunda V, Vernucci E, Shukla S, King R, Dasgupta A, et al. GOT1-mediated anaplerotic glutamine metabolism regulates chronic acidosis stress in pancreatic cancer cells. Cancer Lett. 2017;400:37-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, GOT1 plays an important role in energy metabolism and ROS balance in chronic acidosis stress. Our studies suggest that targeting anaplerotic glutamine metabolism may serve as an important therapeutic target in PDAC. ..
- Fletcher N, Abusamaan M, Memaj I, Saed M, Al Hendy A, Diamond M, et al. Oxidative stress: a key regulator of leiomyoma cell survival. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1387-1394.e1 pubmed publisher..Shifting anaerobic to aerobic metabolism with the use of DCA resulted in an increase in apoptosis in leiomyoma cells and protected myometrial cells from the acquisition of the leiomyoma-like phenotype. ..
- Minchenko D, Riabovol O, Ratushna O, Minchenko O. Hypoxic regulation of the expression of genes encoded estrogen related proteins in U87 glioma cells: eff ect of IRE1 inhibition. Endocr Regul. 2017;51:8-19 pubmed publisher..Most of these genes are regulated by hypoxia and preferentially through IRE1 signaling pathway of endoplasmic reticulum stress. ..
- Li W, Li X, Liu S, Yang W, Pan F, Yang X, et al. Gold nanoparticles attenuate metastasis by tumor vasculature normalization and epithelial-mesenchymal transition inhibition. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:3509-3520 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrated that AuNPs could induce tumor vasculature normalization and reverse EMT, resulting in decreased melanoma tumor metastasis. ..