Genomes and Genes
Summary: The ability of a cell to change its PHENOTYPE in response to changes in the environment.
- Sahasrabudhe P, Rohrberg J, Biebl M, Rutz D, Buchner J. The Plasticity of the Hsp90 Co-chaperone System. Mol Cell. 2017;67:947-961.e5 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, some co-chaperones affect client conformation in vivo. Thus, co-chaperones adapt the Hsp90 cycle to the requirements of the client proteins, ensuring optimal activation. ..
- Martínez Zamudio R, Robinson L, Roux P, Bischof O. SnapShot: Cellular Senescence in Pathophysiology. Cell. 2017;170:1044-1044.e1 pubmed publisher..Cellular senescence is a fundamental cell fate, important both in physiological and pathophysiological processes. This SnapShot focuses on the role of cellular senescence in health, disease, and aging. ..
- O Brien Ball C, Biddle A. Reprogramming to developmental plasticity in cancer stem cells. Dev Biol. 2017;430:266-274 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to identify developmental mechanisms that are active in cancer, so that these may be targeted to reduce tumour growth and metastasis and overcome therapeutic resistance. ..
- Pennell L, Fish E. Interferon-β regulates dendritic cell activation and migration in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Immunology. 2017;152:439-450 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support immunoregulatory roles for IFN-β in the activation and migration of DCs during EAE. ..
- Curi R, de Siqueira Mendes R, de Campos Crispin L, Norata G, Sampaio S, Newsholme P. A past and present overview of macrophage metabolism and functional outcomes. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1329-1342 pubmed publisher..A past and present overview of macrophage metabolism and impact of endocrine regulation and the relevance to human disease are described in this review. ..
- Hoeck J, Biehs B, Kurtova A, Kljavin N, De Sousa E Melo F, Alicke B, et al. Stem cell plasticity enables hair regeneration following Lgr5+ cell loss. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:666-676 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study uncovers a compensatory relationship between two stem cell populations and the underlying molecular mechanisms that enable hair follicle regeneration. ..
- Köstlin N, Vogelmann M, Spring B, Schwarz J, Feucht J, Hartel C, et al. Granulocytic myeloid-derived suppressor cells from human cord blood modulate T-helper cell response towards an anti-inflammatory phenotype. Immunology. 2017;152:89-101 pubmed publisher..These results point towards a role of MDSC in regulating neonatal immune responses. Targeting MDSC function in neonates could be a therapeutic opportunity to improve neonatal host defence. ..
- Bhela S, Varanasi S, Jaggi U, Sloan S, Rajasagi N, Rouse B. The Plasticity and Stability of Regulatory T Cells during Viral-Induced Inflammatory Lesions. J Immunol. 2017;199:1342-1352 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that CD25lo Treg and iTreg instability occurs during a viral immunoinflammatory lesion and that its control may help to avoid lesion chronicity. ..
- ..Expectations in the field have become more realistic, and now, the first successes of therapies based on the CSC concept are emerging...
- Wang K, Melki R, Kabani M. A prolonged chronological lifespan is an unexpected benefit of the [PSI+] prion in yeast. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184905 pubmed publisher..Such an important selective advantage may contribute to the evolutionary conservation of the prion-forming ability of Sup35p orthologues in distantly related yeast species. ..
- Micalizzi D, Maheswaran S, Haber D. A conduit to metastasis: circulating tumor cell biology. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1827-1840 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the study of CTCs has exposed dramatic intrapatient and interpatient heterogeneity and their evolution over time. In this review, we focus on the current knowledge of CTC biology and the potential clinical implications. ..
- Krasovec R, Richards H, Gifford D, Hatcher C, Faulkner K, Belavkin R, et al. Spontaneous mutation rate is a plastic trait associated with population density across domains of life. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002731 pubmed publisher..Such a prevalent environmental association and conserved mechanism suggest that mutation has varied plastically with population density since the early origins of life. ..
- Shanshiashvili L, Tsitsilashvili E, Dabrundashvili N, Kalandadze I, Mikeladze D. Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 may be involved in macrophage plasticity. Biol Res. 2017;50:4 pubmed publisher..We propose that elevation of intracellular glutamate and expression of mGluR5 may initiate the metabolic rearrangement in macrophages that could contribute to the formation of an immunosuppressive phenotype. ..
- Altieri D. Mitochondria on the move: emerging paradigms of organelle trafficking in tumour plasticity and metastasis. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:301-305 pubmed publisher..Some of these pathways are druggable, opening fresh therapeutic opportunities for advanced and disseminated disease. ..
- Li Y, Ma D, Wang Z, Yang J. MicroRNA-155 Deficiency in Kupffer Cells Ameliorates Liver Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Mice. Transplantation. 2017;101:1600-1608 pubmed publisher..miR-155 deficiency plays an effective role in attenuating liver IR injury likely by regulating the activation and inflammatory response, as well as modifying the polarization of KCs. ..
- Rickman D, Beltran H, Demichelis F, Rubin M. Biology and evolution of poorly differentiated neuroendocrine tumors. Nat Med. 2017;23:1-10 pubmed publisher..We discuss the shared genomic alterations of these tumors independently of their site of origin, and we explore potential therapeutic strategies on the basis of recent biological findings. ..
- Takahashi R, Nakatsukasa H, Shiozawa S, Yoshimura A. SOCS1 Is a Key Molecule That Prevents Regulatory T Cell Plasticity under Inflammatory Conditions. J Immunol. 2017;199:149-158 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Socs1-deficient Tregs tend to convert into ex-Tregs under the inflammatory conditions in which APCs are highly activated, and that SOCS1 could be a useful target for enhancement of anti-tumor immunity. ..
- Petruk S, Cai J, Sussman R, Sun G, Kovermann S, Mariani S, et al. Delayed Accumulation of H3K27me3 on Nascent DNA Is Essential for Recruitment of Transcription Factors at Early Stages of Stem Cell Differentiation. Mol Cell. 2017;66:247-257.e5 pubmed publisher..This insight may explain the developmental plasticity of stem cells and facilitate their exploitation for therapeutic purposes. ..