Genomes and Genes
Summary: A condition of decreased oxygen content at the cellular level.
- Naves T, Jawhari S, Jauberteau M, Ratinaud M, Verdier M. Autophagy takes place in mutated p53 neuroblastoma cells in response to hypoxia mimetic CoCl(2). Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;85:1153-61 pubmed publisher..To conclude, mutated p53 in neuroblastoma cells could be linked with the switch between apoptotic response and cell death by autophagy in response to hypoxic mimetic stress. ..
- Jaussaud J, Biais M, Calderon J, Chevaleyre J, Duchez P, Ivanovic Z, et al. Hypoxia-preconditioned mesenchymal stromal cells improve cardiac function in a swine model of chronic myocardial ischaemia. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013;43:1050-7 pubmed publisher..This highlights the therapeutic potential of transplanting hypoxic-preconditioned MSC in the setting of chronic ischaemic heart failure. ..
- Neelam S, Brooks M, Cammarata P. Lenticular cytoprotection. Part 1: the role of hypoxia inducible factors-1? and -2? and vascular endothelial growth factor in lens epithelial cell survival in hypoxia. Mol Vis. 2013;19:1-15 pubmed
- Penna C, Perrelli M, Karam J, Angotti C, Muscari C, Montero Menei C, et al. Pharmacologically active microcarriers influence VEGF-A effects on mesenchymal stem cell survival. J Cell Mol Med. 2013;17:192-204 pubmed publisher..The use of FN-PAM-VEGF could be considered as a novel approach for enhancing MSC survival and regeneration in hostile environment of post-ischemic tissues. ..
- Bollineni V, Kerner G, Pruim J, Steenbakkers R, Wiegman E, Koole M, et al. PET imaging of tumor hypoxia using 18F-fluoroazomycin arabinoside in stage III-IV non-small cell lung cancer patients. J Nucl Med. 2013;54:1175-80 pubmed publisher..Therefore, (18)F-FAZA might be considered a tool for guiding dose escalation to the hypoxic fraction of the tumor. ..
- Marignol L, Rivera Figueroa K, Lynch T, Hollywood D. Hypoxia, notch signalling, and prostate cancer. Nat Rev Urol. 2013;10:405-13 pubmed publisher..Evidence to date suggests similar, therapeutically exploitable, behaviour of notch-activated and hypoxic prostate cancer cells. ..
- Nombela Arrieta C, Pivarnik G, Winkel B, Canty K, Harley B, Mahoney J, et al. Quantitative imaging of haematopoietic stem and progenitor cell localization and hypoxic status in the bone marrow microenvironment. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:533-43 pubmed publisher..These studies argue that the characteristic hypoxic state of HSPCs is not solely the result of a minimally oxygenated niche but may be partially regulated by cell-specific mechanisms. ..
- Toma Daşu I, Daşu A. Modelling tumour oxygenation, reoxygenation and implications on treatment outcome. Comput Math Methods Med. 2013;2013:141087 pubmed publisher..This paper aims to discuss the important aspects of modelling tumour oxygenation, reoxygenation, and implications for treatment. ..
- Segard T, Robins P, Yusoff I, Ee H, Morandeau L, Campbell E, et al. Detection of hypoxia with 18F-fluoromisonidazole (18F-FMISO) PET/CT in suspected or proven pancreatic cancer. Clin Nucl Med. 2013;38:1-6 pubmed publisher..If FMISO PET/CT is to be included in clinical trial protocols of hypoxia in pancreatic cancer, it would require correlation with other imaging modalities to localize the tumor and allow semiquantitative analysis. ..
- Tsai Y, Wu K. Hypoxia-regulated target genes implicated in tumor metastasis. J Biomed Sci. 2012;19:102 pubmed publisher..We hope that this review will provide a framework for further exploration of hypoxia/HIF-1?-regulated target genes and a comprehensive view of the metastatic picture induced by hypoxia. ..
- Gotoh M, Sano Maeda K, Murofushi H, Murakami Murofushi K. Protection of neuroblastoma Neuro2A cells from hypoxia-induced apoptosis by cyclic phosphatidic acid (cPA). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e51093 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our results, we propose that cPA-induced protection of Neuro2A cells from CoCl(2)-induced hypoxia damage is mediated via LPA(2). ..
- Graboń W, Otto Ślusarczyk D, Chrzanowska A, Mielczarek Puta M, Joniec Maciejak I, Słabik K, et al. Lactate Formation in Primary and Metastatic Colon Cancer Cells at Hypoxia and Normoxia. Cell Biochem Funct. 2016;34:483-490 pubmed publisher..We conclude that, in both cell lines at 1% hypoxia, lactate is formed mainly from glucose but at 10% normoxia also from L-Asp. At 10% normoxia, lactate synthesis is more pronounced in primary than metastatic colon cancer cells. ..
- Lencesova L, Vlcek M, Krizanova O, Hudecova S. Hypoxic conditions increases Hâ‚‚S-induced ER stress in A2870 cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;414:67-76 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, we propose a higher vulnerability of calcium transport systems to H2S regulation under hypoxia. ..
- Park E, Rongo C. The p38 MAP kinase pathway modulates the hypoxia response and glutamate receptor trafficking in aging neurons. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that p38 MAPK inhibits the hypoxia response pathway and determines how aging neurons respond to hypoxia through a novel mechanism. ..
- Lafont J, Poujade F, Pasdeloup M, Neyret P, Mallein Gerin F. Hypoxia potentiates the BMP-2 driven COL2A1 stimulation in human articular chondrocytes via p38 MAPK. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016;24:856-67 pubmed publisher..This understanding may help promoting the anabolic function of articular chondrocytes, and thus improving their manipulation for cell therapy. ..
- Shin J, Nunomiya A, Kitajima Y, Dan T, Miyata T, Nagatomi R. Prolyl hydroxylase domain 2 deficiency promotes skeletal muscle fiber-type transition via a calcineurin/NFATc1-dependent pathway. Skelet Muscle. 2016;6:5 pubmed publisher..PHD2 conditional knockout mice may serve as a model for chronic HIF-1Î± stabilization as in mice exposed to low oxygen concentration. ..
- Owen S, Gao Y, Zhi X, Wei C, Wu Y, Jiang W. Effect of YangZheng XiaoJi Extract, DME-25, on Endothelial Cells and their Response to Avastin. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1181-92 pubmed..DME-25 inhibits tubule formation irrespectively of the factors secreted by normoxic or hypoxic lung cancer cell CM depleted of VEGF. ..
- Zhao R, Feng J, He G. Hypoxia increases Nrf2-induced HO-1 expression via the PI3K/Akt pathway. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2016;21:385-96 pubmed
- Marino A, Sakamoto T, Robador P, Tomita K, Levi R. S1P receptor 1-Mediated Anti-Renin-Angiotensin System Cardioprotection: Pivotal Role of Mast Cell Aldehyde Dehydrogenase Type 2. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;362:230-242 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that MC S1P1R may represent a new pharmacologic and therapeutic target for the direct alleviation of RAS-induced cardiac dysfunctions, including ischemic heart disease and congestive heart failure. ..
- YANG H, Chen Y, Gao C, Cui Z, Yao J. Protective Effects of MicroRNA-126 on Human Cardiac Microvascular Endothelial Cells Against Hypoxia/Reoxygenation-Induced Injury and Inflammatory Response by Activating PI3K/Akt/eNOS Signaling Pathway. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:506-518 pubmed publisher..These findings indicated that miR-126 protects HCMECs from H/R-induced injury and inflammatory response by activating the PI3K/Akt/ eNOS signaling pathway. ..
- Tercel M, Lee H, Mehta S, Youte Tendoung J, Bai S, Liyanage H, et al. Influence of a Basic Side Chain on the Properties of Hypoxia-Selective Nitro Analogues of the Duocarmycins: Demonstration of Substantial Anticancer Activity in Combination with Irradiation or Chemotherapy. J Med Chem. 2017;60:5834-5856 pubmed publisher..In the latter experiment, three of seven animals receiving the combination treatment were completely tumor free at day 100. ..
- Liu N, Xia W, Liu S, Chen H, Sun L, Liu M, et al. MicroRNA-101 targets von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor (VHL) to induce HIF1Î± mediated apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in normoxia condition. Sci Rep. 2016;6:20489 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel regulatory mechanism of HIF1Î± induction in normoxia and suggest that miR-101 mediated proliferation inhibition may through HIF1Î± mediated apoptosis and cell cycle arrest. ..
- Shiba I, Kouzaki R, Yamada H, Endo Y, Takino T, Sato H, et al. Design and Synthesis of Novel Anti-metastatic Hypoxic Cytotoxin TX-2137 Targeting AKT Kinase. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3877-3883 pubmed..TX-2137 may be a potent lead compound in the development of a novel anti-metastatic AKT kinase inhibitor. ..
- Rudin Bitterli T, Spicer J, Rundle S. Differences in the timing of cardio-respiratory development determine whether marine gastropod embryos survive or die in hypoxia. J Exp Biol. 2016;219:1076-85 pubmed publisher..Surviving embryos came from eggs with significantly higher albumen provisioning than those that died, suggesting an energetic component for advanced development of adult traits. ..
- Zhang L, Hu A, Li M, Zhang H, Ren C, An X, et al. 4.1N suppresses hypoxia-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition in epithelial ovarian cancer cells. Mol Med Rep. 2016;13:837-44 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data of the current study identified 4.1N as an inhibitor of hypoxiaâ€‘induced tumor progression in EOC cells and highlighted its potential role in EOC therapy. ..
- JovanoviÄ‡ S, Ballantyne T, Du Q, BlagojeviÄ‡ M, JovanoviÄ‡ A. Phenylephrine preconditioning in embryonic heart H9c2 cells is mediated by up-regulation of SUR2B/Kir6.2: A first evidence for functional role of SUR2B in sarcolemmal KATP channels and cardioprotection. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2016;70:23-8 pubmed publisher..Taking all together, the present findings demonstrate that the activation of Î±1-adrenoceptors up-regulates SUR2B/Kir6.2 to confer cardioprotection. This is the first account of possible physiological role of SUR2B in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Liapis V, Zinonos I, Labrinidis A, Hay S, Ponomarev V, Panagopoulos V, et al. Anticancer efficacy of the hypoxia-activated prodrug evofosfamide (TH-302) in osteolytic breast cancer murine models. Cancer Med. 2016;5:534-45 pubmed publisher..Evofosfamide cooperates with paclitaxel and exhibits potent tumor suppressive activity against breast cancer growth in the mammary gland and in bone. ..
- Zhang Y, Chiu S, Liang X, Chai Y, Qin Y, Wang J, et al. Absence of NUCKS augments paracrine effects of mesenchymal stem cells-mediated cardiac protection. Exp Cell Res. 2017;356:74-84 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that depletion of NUCKS enhances the therapeutic efficacy of BM-MSCs for MI via regulating the secretion. ..
- Miao G, Qi H, Li L, Que H, Zhang G. Characterization and functional analysis of two inhibitor of apoptosis genes in Zhikong scallop Chlamys farreri. Dev Comp Immunol. 2016;60:1-11 pubmed publisher..Our study indicated that CfIAP1 and CfIAP2 may participate in the innate immunity and stress responses and that CfIAP2 might block apoptosis via inhibiting CfCaspase3 indirectly through an unexplored mechanism in C.Â farreri. ..
- Lakhter A, Lahm T, Broxmeyer H, Naidu S. Golgi Associated HIF1a Serves as a Reserve in Melanoma Cells. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:853-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a possible role for the oxygen-dependent protein folding process from the ER-Golgi compartment in fine-tuning HIF1a transcriptional output. ..
- Li Z, Liu Q, Wang X, Luan J. The Characteristics of Blood Supply and Tissue Hypoxia in Pathological Scars. Chin Med Sci J. 2017;32:113-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, development in the treatment of pathological scars is herein reviewed. ..
- Papas K, Avgoustiniatos E, Suszynski T. Effect of oxygen supply on the size of implantable islet-containing encapsulation devices. Panminerva Med. 2016;58:72-7 pubmed..This paper summarizes key information on the effect of oxygen on islet viability and function within immunoisolation devices and describes the potential impact of enhanced oxygen supply to devices in vivo on device size reduction. ..
- Wang L, Cheng L, Wang H, Pan H, Yang H, Shao M, et al. Glycometabolic reprogramming associated with the initiation of human dental pulp stem cell differentiation. Cell Biol Int. 2016;40:308-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, glycometabolic reprogramming accompanies initiation of hDPSC differentiation and could potentially play a role in the regulation of dental pulp repair. ..
- You A, Cao M, Guo Z, Zuo B, Gao J, Zhou H, et al. Metformin sensitizes sorafenib to inhibit postoperative recurrence and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in orthotopic mouse models. J Hematol Oncol. 2016;9:20 pubmed publisher..Metformin may potentially enhance the effect of sorafenib to inhibit HCC recurrence and metastasis after liver resection by regulating the expression of HIF-2Î± and TIP30. ..
- Miao L, Xin X, Xin H, Shen X, Zhu Y. Hydrogen Sulfide Recruits Macrophage Migration by Integrin Î²1-Src-FAK/Pyk2-Rac Pathway in Myocardial Infarction. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22363 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that H2S may have the potential as an anti-infarct of MI by governing macrophage migration, which was achieved by accelerating internalization of integrin Î²1 and activating downstream Src-FAK/Pyk2-Rac pathway. ..
- Lai M, Chang C, Sun H. Hypoxia Induces Autophagy through Translational Up-Regulation of Lysosomal Proteins in Human Colon Cancer Cells. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153627 pubmed publisher..Our studies highlight the importance of translational regulation for tumor cell adaptation to hypoxia. ..
- Sepuri N, Angireddy R, Srinivasan S, Guha M, Spear J, Lu B, et al. Mitochondrial LON protease-dependent degradation of cytochrome c oxidase subunits under hypoxia and myocardial ischemia. Biochim Biophys Acta Bioenerg. 2017;1858:519-528 pubmed publisher..Our results therefore suggest that Lon preferentially degrades the phosphorylated subunits of CcO and plays a role in the regulation of CcO activity in hypoxia and ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- Du Y, Zhang J, Fang F, Wei X, Zhang H, Tan H, et al. Metformin ameliorates hypoxia/reoxygenation-induced cardiomyocyte apoptosis based on the SIRT3 signaling pathway. Gene. 2017;626:182-188 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results demonstrate that metformin improves cells viability following H/R, and this cardioprotective effect is partly mediated by the SIRT3 signaling pathway. ..
- HUANG J, Li X, Li H, Su Z, Wang J, Zhang H. Down-regulation of microRNA-184 contributes to the development of cyanotic congenital heart diseases. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:14221-7 pubmed..Moreover, miR-184 inhibition may promote hypoxia-induced apoptosis via activation of caspase-3 and caspase-9. Congenital down-regulation of miR-184 may be a mechanism leading to CHD development. ..
- Leskova A, Pardue S, Glawe J, Kevil C, Shen X. Role of thiosulfate in hydrogen sulfide-dependent redox signaling in endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H256-H264 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our findings also reveal that thiosulfate surprisingly inhibits VEGF-dependent endothelial cell proliferation associated with a reduction in cystathionine-?-lyase protein levels. ..
- Xiong W, Zhang L, Xiong Y, Liu H, Liu Y. Hypoxia Promotes Invasion of Endometrial Stromal Cells via Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1Î± Upregulation-Mediated Î²-Catenin Activation in Endometriosis. Reprod Sci. 2016;23:531-41 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that HIF-1Î± interacting with Î²-catenin/TCF signaling pathway, which is activated by hypoxia, may provide new insights into the etiology of endometriosis. ..
- Zhou T, Ou C, Jiang Z, Xiong M, Zhang F. Potential signal pathway between all-trans retinoic acid and LMX1B in hypoxia-induced renal tubular epithelial cell injury. J Recept Signal Transduct Res. 2016;36:53-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ATRA acts as a positive regulator of LMX1B in H-R RTEC. ..
- Chu Y, Xiangli X, Niu H, Wang H, Jia P, Gong W, et al. Arginase inhibitor attenuates pulmonary artery hypertension induced by hypoxia. Mol Cell Biochem. 2016;412:91-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that arginase plays an important role in increased proliferation of HPASMCs induced by hypoxia and it is a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of pulmonary hypertensive disorders. ..
- Grella A, Kole D, Holmes W, Dominko T. FGF2 Overrides TGFÎ²1-Driven Integrin ITGA11 Expression in Human Dermal Fibroblasts. J Cell Biochem. 2016;117:1000-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that FGF2 may be redirecting fibroblasts towards an anti-fibrotic phenotype by overriding TGFÎ²1 mediated ITGA11 expression. ..