Genomes and Genes
Summary: Mode of communication wherein a bound hormone affects the function of the cell type that produced the hormone.
- Corriden R, Insel P. Basal release of ATP: an autocrine-paracrine mechanism for cell regulation. Sci Signal. 2010;3:re1 pubmed publisher..Basal release and autocrine or paracrine responses to ATP are multifunctional, evolutionarily conserved, and provide an economical means for the modulation of cell, tissue, and organismal biology. ..
- Iyer S, Ghaffari A, Cheng G. Lipopolysaccharide-mediated IL-10 transcriptional regulation requires sequential induction of type I IFNs and IL-27 in macrophages. J Immunol. 2010;185:6599-607 pubmed publisher..Finally, through systematic functional promoter-reporter analysis, we identify three cis elements within the proximal IL-10 promoter that play an important role in regulating transcription of IL-10 in response to IL-27. ..
- Hsieh S, He J, Hsu C, Chen W, Bera R, Lin K, et al. Neuregulin/erythroblastic leukemia viral oncogene homolog 3 autocrine loop contributes to invasion and early recurrence of human hepatoma. Hepatology. 2011;53:504-16 pubmed publisher..ERBB3 is a marker for the prediction of intrahepatic metastasis and early recurrence. ERBB3-dependent signaling is a candidate target for the treatment of microscopic vascular invasion and for the prevention of HCC recurrence. ..
- Cingolani H, Ennis I, Aiello E, Perez N. Role of autocrine/paracrine mechanisms in response to myocardial strain. Pflugers Arch. 2011;462:29-38 pubmed publisher..The evidence for each step of the intracellular signaling pathway leading to the development of SFR and their relationship with the mechanisms proposed for cardiac hypertrophy development will be analyzed. ..
- Li J, Klein C, Liang C, Rauch R, Kawamura K, Hsueh A. Autocrine regulation of early embryonic development by the artemin-GFRA3 (GDNF family receptor-alpha 3) signaling system in mice. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2479-85 pubmed publisher..The genome-wide survey of ligand-receptor pairs and early embryo cultures provided a better understanding of autocrine/paracrine embryonic factors important for optimal blastocyst development. ..
- Ellison D, Munden A, Levchenko A. Computational model and microfluidic platform for the investigation of paracrine and autocrine signaling in mouse embryonic stem cells. Mol Biosyst. 2009;5:1004-12 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the described computational/experimental platform can be used to identify and study specific factors and pathways involved in a wide variety of paracrine signaling systems. ..
- Ishiguro H, Akimoto K, Nagashima Y, Kojima Y, Sasaki T, Ishiguro Imagawa Y, et al. aPKClambda/iota promotes growth of prostate cancer cells in an autocrine manner through transcriptional activation of interleukin-6. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:16369-74 pubmed publisher..Further, aPKClambda/iota expression might be a biomarker for prostate cancer progression. ..
- Tokuyama W, Mikami T, Masuzawa M, Okayasu I. Autocrine and paracrine roles of VEGF/VEGFR-2 and VEGF-C/VEGFR-3 signaling in angiosarcomas of the scalp and face. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:407-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that not only VEGFR-2-mediated signal but also VEGFR-3-mediated signal may contribute to proliferation of vascular tumor cells as autocrine and paracrine signaling factors. ..
- Lichtenberger B, Tan P, Niederleithner H, Ferrara N, Petzelbauer P, Sibilia M. Autocrine VEGF signaling synergizes with EGFR in tumor cells to promote epithelial cancer development. Cell. 2010;140:268-79 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Flt1 is upregulated in human SCC, and its inhibition in SCC cells impairs proliferation. Thus, in addition to regulating angiogenesis, VEGF has to be considered as a potent growth factor for epidermal tumors. ..
- Matsuoka J, Yashiro M, Doi Y, Fuyuhiro Y, Kato Y, Shinto O, et al. Hypoxia stimulates the EMT of gastric cancer cells through autocrine TGF? signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62310 pubmed publisher..These findings might suggest that hypoxia stimulates the EMT of gastric cancer cells via autocrine TGF?/TGF?R signaling. ..
- Kim J, Ma T. Regulation of autocrine fibroblast growth factor-2 signaling by perfusion flow in 3D human mesenchymal stem cell constructs. Biotechnol Prog. 2012;28:1384-8 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that autocrine FGF-2 plays a significant role in 3D scaffold and suggest modulation of the perfusion flow in the bioreactor as a strategy to influence autocrine actions and cell fate in the 3D scaffold. ..
- Hegde G, de la Cruz C, Chiu C, Alag N, Schaefer G, Crocker L, et al. Blocking NRG1 and other ligand-mediated Her4 signaling enhances the magnitude and duration of the chemotherapeutic response of non-small cell lung cancer. Sci Transl Med. 2013;5:171ra18 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ligand-dependent Her4 signaling plays an important role in disease relapse. ..
- Than A, Leow M, Chen P. Control of adipogenesis by the autocrine interplays between angiotensin 1-7/Mas receptor and angiotensin II/AT1 receptor signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:15520-31 pubmed publisher..This study suggests the importance of the local regulation of the delicately balanced angiotensin system upon adipogenesis and its potential as a novel therapeutic target for obesity and related metabolic disorders. ..
- Grad E, Pachino R, Danenberg H. Endothelial C-reactive protein increases platelet adhesion under flow conditions. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011;301:H730-6 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that CRP exerts a local effect on endothelial cells via P-selectin expression, which promotes platelet adhesion and subsequent thrombus formation. ..
- Henry H. Regulation of vitamin D metabolism. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;25:531-41 pubmed publisher..Finally the features of the 24R-hydroxylase, which produces 24R,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) in the kidney and is induced by and inactivated, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3)in target cells are described. ..
- Sun F, Chen H, Li W, Yang X, Wang X, Jiang R, et al. Androgen receptor splice variant AR3 promotes prostate cancer via modulating expression of autocrine/paracrine factors. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:1529-39 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that AR3 is a driver of prostate cancer, at least in part, through modulating multiple tumor-promoting autocrine/paracrine factors. ..
- Ho Y, Tsai W, Lin F, Huang W, Lin L, Wu S, et al. Cardioprotective Actions of TGFÎ²RI Inhibition Through Stimulating Autocrine/Paracrine of Survivin and Inhibiting Wnt in Cardiac Progenitors. Stem Cells. 2016;34:445-55 pubmed publisher..TGFÎ²RI inhibition in an injured adult heart could both stimulate the autocrine/paracrine activity of survivin and inhibit Wnt in CPCs to mediate cardioprotection and improve cardiac function. ..
- Kahlenberg J, Carmona Rivera C, Smith C, Kaplan M. Neutrophil extracellular trap-associated protein activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome is enhanced in lupus macrophages. J Immunol. 2013;190:1217-26 pubmed publisher..This leads to release of inflammatory cytokines that further stimulate NETosis, resulting in a feed-forward inflammatory loop that could potentially lead to disease flares and/or organ damage. ..
- Wazir U, Al Sarakbi W, Jiang W, Mokbel K. Evidence of an autocrine role for leptin and leptin receptor in human breast cancer. Cancer Genomics Proteomics. 2012;9:383-7 pubmed..This study demonstrates that leptin and LEPR are more readily expressed in cancerous tissues suggesting a possible autocrine role in mammary carcinogenesis, which may be independent of hTERT and COX2 genes. ..
- Chowdhury M, Fujii T, Sakai Y. Importance of a diffusion-dominant small volume to activate cell-secreted soluble factor signaling in embryonic stem cell culture in microbioreactors: a mathematical model based study. J Biosci Bioeng. 2013;116:118-25 pubmed publisher..This study will be helpful in analyzing culture systems, designing microfluidic devices for controlling ESC or other cell behavior. ..
- Koni P, Bolduc A, Takezaki M, Ametani Y, Huang L, Lee J, et al. Constitutively CD40-activated B cells regulate CD8 T cell inflammatory response by IL-10 induction. J Immunol. 2013;190:3189-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, B cells expressing CD40L can be a therapeutic goal to regulate inflammatory CD8 T cell response by IL-10 induction. ..
- Bienes Martínez R, Ordoñez A, Feijóo Cuaresma M, Corral Escariz M, Mateo G, STENINA O, et al. Autocrine stimulation of clear-cell renal carcinoma cell migration in hypoxia via HIF-independent suppression of thrombospondin-1. Sci Rep. 2012;2:788 pubmed publisher..In addition, thrombospondin-1 regulation in hypoxia proved to be important for ccRCC cell migration and invasion. ..
- Akita T, Fedorovich S, Okada Y. Ca2+ nanodomain-mediated component of swelling-induced volume-sensitive outwardly rectifying anion current triggered by autocrine action of ATP in mouse astrocytes. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2011;28:1181-90 pubmed publisher..Thus the swelling-induced VSOR channel activation in mouse astrocytes is partly regulated via Ca(2+) nanodomains, whose generation is triggered by an autocrine action of ATP. ..
- Min Y, Ghose S, Boelte K, Li J, Yang L, Lin P. C/EBP-? regulates VEGF-C autocrine signaling in lymphangiogenesis and metastasis of lung cancer through HIF-1?. Oncogene. 2011;30:4901-9 pubmed publisher..Blocking HIF-1? activity totally blocked CEBP-?-induced VEGF-C and VEGFR3 expression in LECs. Together, these findings uncover a new function of CEBP-? in lymphangiogenesis through regulation of VEGFR3 signaling in LECs. ..
- Sakai H, Furihata M, Matsuda C, Takahashi M, Miyazaki H, Konakahara T, et al. Augmented autocrine bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 7 signaling increases the metastatic potential of mouse breast cancer cells. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2012;29:327-38 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results strongly suggest that augmented autocrine BMP7 signaling leads to increases in the anchorage-independent cell growth, migration and metastatic potential in our bone marrow metastatic breast cancer model. ..
- Anitua E, Troya M, Orive G. Plasma rich in growth factors promote gingival tissue regeneration by stimulating fibroblast proliferation and migration and by blocking transforming growth factor-?1-induced myodifferentiation. J Periodontol. 2012;83:1028-37 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that plasma rich in growth factors is capable of promoting regeneration of gingival connective tissue by stimulating some of the main processes involved in wound regeneration. ..
- Carnini C, Accomazzo M, Borroni E, Vitellaro Zuccarello L, Durand T, Folco G, et al. Synthesis of cysteinyl leukotrienes in human endothelial cells: subcellular localization and autocrine signaling through the CysLT2 receptor. FASEB J. 2011;25:3519-28 pubmed publisher..The synthesis of cys-LTs from LTA(4) by endothelial cells is directly associated with the activation of the CysLT(2) receptor (EC(50) 0.64 ?M) in a typical autocrine fashion. ..
- Liu W, Chang L. Adaphostin promotes caffeine-evoked autocrine Fas-mediated death pathway activation in Bcr/Abl-positive leukaemia cells. Biochem J. 2011;439:453-67 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of the present study suggest a therapeutic strategy in improving the efficacy of adaphostin via Fas-mediated death pathway activation in Bcr/Abl-positive leukaemia. ..
- Iwata S, Mikami Y, Sun H, Brooks S, Jankovic D, Hirahara K, et al. The Transcription Factor T-bet Limits Amplification of Type I IFN Transcriptome and Circuitry in T Helper 1 Cells. Immunity. 2017;46:983-991.e4 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to promoting Th1 effector commitment, T-bet acts as a repressor in differentiated Th1 cells to prevent abberant autocrine type I IFN and downstream signaling. ..
- Rizqiawan A, Tobiume K, Okui G, Yamamoto K, Shigeishi H, Ono S, et al. Autocrine galectin-1 promotes collective cell migration of squamous cell carcinoma cells through up-regulation of distinct integrins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:904-10 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that soluble Gal-1 promotes invasiveness through enhancing collective cell migration and increasing the incidence of EMT. ..
- Li H, Chen C, Dou Y, Wu H, Liu Y, Lou H, et al. P2Y4 receptor-mediated pinocytosis contributes to amyloid beta-induced self-uptake by microglia. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:4282-93 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a previously unknown function of ATP as a "drink me" signal for microglia and P2Y4 receptors as a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Patel B, Mehta A. Aldosterone and angiotensin: Role in diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Pharmacol. 2012;697:1-12 pubmed publisher..As the understanding of this biology of RAAS increases, it serves to exploit this for the pharmacotherapy of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Dejeans N, Pluquet O, Lhomond S, Grise F, Bouchecareilh M, Juin A, et al. Autocrine control of glioma cells adhesion and migration through IRE1?-mediated cleavage of SPARC mRNA. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4278-87 pubmed publisher..Our results also further support the crucial contribution of IRE1? to tumor growth, infiltration and invasion and extend the paradigm of secretome control in tumor microenvironment conditioning. ..
- Serra S, Horenstein A, Vaisitti T, Brusa D, Rossi D, Laurenti L, et al. CD73-generated extracellular adenosine in chronic lymphocytic leukemia creates local conditions counteracting drug-induced cell death. Blood. 2011;118:6141-52 pubmed publisher..These data are consistent with the existence of an autocrine adenosinergic loop, and support engraftment of leukemic cells in growth-favorable niches, while simultaneously protecting from the action of chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Maurya S, Rai A, Rai N, Deshpande S, Jain R, Mudiam M, et al. Cypermethrin induces astrocyte apoptosis by the disruption of the autocrine/paracrine mode of epidermal growth factor receptor signaling. Toxicol Sci. 2012;125:473-87 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that cypermethrin induces astrocyte apoptosis by disrupting the autocrine/paracrine mode of HB-EGF-EGFR signaling at two levels, irreversible loss of basal EGFR and downregulation of HB-EGF. ..
- Isfort K, Ebert F, Bornhorst J, Sargin S, Kardakaris R, Pasparakis M, et al. Real-time imaging reveals that P2Y2 and P2Y12 receptor agonists are not chemoattractants and macrophage chemotaxis to complement C5a is phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)- and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK)-independent. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:44776-87 pubmed publisher..We propose that ATP signaling is strictly autocrine or paracrine and that ATP and ADP may act as short-range "touch me" (rather than long-range find me) signals to promote phagocytic clearance via cell spreading. ..
- Tanaka C, Kaji H, He J, Hazama R, Yokoyama K, Kinoshita E, et al. Rab27b regulates c-kit expression by controlling the secretion of stem cell factor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;419:368-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Rab27b negatively regulates the cell surface expression of c-kit via secretion of SCF and that ligation of SCF leads to the endolysosomal degradation system of c-kit. ..
- Lee Y, Cheng C, Bilen M, Lu J, Satcher R, Yu Lee L, et al. BMP4 promotes prostate tumor growth in bone through osteogenesis. Cancer Res. 2011;71:5194-203 pubmed publisher..Treatment of SCID mice bearing MDA-PCa-118b tumors with LDN-193189 significantly reduced tumor growth. Thus, these studies support a role of BMP4-mediated osteogenesis in the progression of prostate cancer in bone. ..
- Wu Z, Nakanishi H. Phosphatidylserine-containing liposomes: potential pharmacological interventions against inflammatory and immune diseases through the production of prostaglandin E(2) after uptake by myeloid derived phagocytes. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2011;59:195-201 pubmed publisher..Moreover, PSLs inhibit the maturation of dendritic cells and osteoclast precursors. Therefore, PSLs will be potential pharmacological interventions for inflammatory and immune diseases through feedback mechanism utilizing PGE(2)...
- Yokoyama Y, Watanabe T, Tamura Y, Hashizume Y, Miyazono K, Ehata S. Autocrine BMP-4 Signaling Is a Therapeutic Target in Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4026-4038 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest inhibition of autocrine BMP-4 as a candidate treatment strategy for colorectal cancer. Cancer Res; 77(15); 4026-38. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Reikvam H, Øyan A, Kalland K, Hovland R, Hatfield K, Bruserud Ø. Differences in proliferative capacity of primary human acute myelogenous leukaemia cells are associated with altered gene expression profiles and can be used for subclassification of patients. Cell Prolif. 2013;46:554-62 pubmed publisher..In vitro proliferative capacity of primary human AML cells was considerably variable between patients and could be used to identify biologically distinct patient subsets. ..
- Yu X, Zhao R, Lin S, Bai X, Zhang L, Yuan S, et al. CXCL16 induces angiogenesis in autocrine signaling pathway involving hypoxia-inducible factor 1Î± in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Oncol Rep. 2016;35:1557-65 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that CXCL16 induces angiogenesis in autocrine manner via ERK, Akt, p38 pathways and HIF-1Î± modulation. ..
- Fink K, Martin L, Mukawera E, Chartier S, De Deken X, Brochiero E, et al. IFN?/TNF? synergism induces a non-canonical STAT2/IRF9-dependent pathway triggering a novel DUOX2 NADPH oxidase-mediated airway antiviral response. Cell Res. 2013;23:673-90 pubmed publisher..In this regard, the importance of the novel DUOX2-dependent antiviral pathway is further underlined by the observation that the human respiratory syncytial virus is able to subvert DUOX2 induction. ..
- Val S, Belade E, George I, Boczkowski J, Baeza Squiban A. Fine PM induce airway MUC5AC expression through the autocrine effect of amphiregulin. Arch Toxicol. 2012;86:1851-9 pubmed publisher..Our study provides mechanistic explanations to the exacerbation of obstructive lung diseases induced by particulate pollution characterized by mucus hypersecretion and chronic inflammation. ..