Genomes and Genes
cell membrane permeability
Summary: A quality of cell membranes which permits the passage of solvents and solutes into and out of cells.
- Rosenthal R, Gunzel D, Finger C, Krug S, Richter J, Schulzke J, et al. The effect of chitosan on transcellular and paracellular mechanisms in the intestinal epithelial barrier. Biomaterials. 2012;33:2791-800 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the rapid and reversible absorption-enhancing chitosan effect is due to changes in intracellular pH caused by the activation of a chloride-bicarbonate exchanger resulting in the opening of the TJ...
- Buyck J, Plesiat P, Traore H, Vanderbist F, Tulkens P, Van Bambeke F. Increased susceptibility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to macrolides and ketolides in eukaryotic cell culture media and biological fluids due to decreased expression of oprM and increased outer-membrane permeability. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;55:534-42 pubmed publisher..Macrolides show antimicrobial activity against P. aeruginosa in eukaryotic media through increased uptake and reduced efflux. These data may help explain the clinical efficacy of macrolides against pseudomonal infections. ..
- Siarheyeva A, Senisterra G, Allali Hassani A, Dong A, Dobrovetsky E, Wasney G, et al. An allosteric inhibitor of protein arginine methyltransferase 3. Structure. 2012;20:1425-35 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate an allosteric mechanism for inhibition of protein arginine methyltransferases, an emerging class of therapeutic targets. ..
- Corrotte M, Fernandes M, Tam C, Andrews N. Toxin pores endocytosed during plasma membrane repair traffic into the lumen of MVBs for degradation. Traffic. 2012;13:483-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, cells dispose of SLO transmembrane pores by ubiquitination/ESCRT-dependent sorting into the lumen of late endosomes/lysosomes. ..
- Smith P, Giroud M, Wiggins H, Gower F, Thorley J, Stolpe B, et al. Cellular entry of nanoparticles via serum sensitive clathrin-mediated endocytosis, and plasma membrane permeabilization. Int J Nanomedicine. 2012;7:2045-55 pubmed publisher..Finally, experiments performed with cells cooled to 4°C suggest that a proportion of the accumulation of nanoparticles in cells was likely due to direct permeabilization of the plasma membrane. ..
- Luo T, Chen B, Zhao Z, He N, Zeng Z, Wu B, et al. Histamine H2 receptor activation exacerbates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury by disturbing mitochondrial and endothelial function. Basic Res Cardiol. 2013;108:342 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that H2R activation exaggerates myocardial I/R injury by promoting myocardial mitochondrial dysfunction and by increasing cardiac vascular endothelial permeability...
- Sifaoui I, López Arencibia A, Martín Navarro C, Reyes Batlle M, Wagner C, Chiboub O, et al. Programmed cell death in Acanthamoeba castellanii Neff induced by several molecules present in olive leaf extracts. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183795 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed in order to establish the true potential of these molecules against these emerging opportunistic pathogenic protozoa. ..
- Xu M, Yu Q, Zhao Q, Chen W, Lin Y, Jin Y. Development and in vitro-in vivo evaluation of a water-in-oil microemulsion formulation for the oral delivery of troxerutin. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2016;42:280-7 pubmed publisher..55% compared to control solution. These results suggest that novel W/O microemulsion could be used as an effective formulation for improving the oral bioavailability of troxerutin. ..
- Elsabrouty R, Jo Y, Dinh T, DeBose Boyd R. Sterol-induced dislocation of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase from membranes of permeabilized cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3300-8 pubmed publisher..Considered together, these results establish permeabilized cells as a viable system in which to elucidate mechanisms for postubiquitination steps in sterol-accelerated degradation of reductase. ..
- Jiang C, Davalos R, Bischof J. A review of basic to clinical studies of irreversible electroporation therapy. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2015;62:4-20 pubmed..Further, this study provides organized data and facts to assist further research, optimization, and clinical applications of IRE. ..
- Zhang Z, Xu K, Bi Y, Yu G, Wang S, Qi X, et al. Low intensity ultrasound promotes the sensitivity of rat brain glioma to Doxorubicin by down-regulating the expressions of p-glucoprotein and multidrug resistance protein 1 in vitro and in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e70685 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that LIUS could increase the toxicity sensitivity of glioma by down-regulating the expressions of P-gp and MRP1, which might be mediated by the PI3K/Akt/NF-?B pathway. ..
- Netti V, Iovane A, Vatrella M, Zotta E, Fellet A, Balaszczuk A. Effects of nitric oxide system and osmotic stress on Aquaporin-1 in the postnatal heart. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;81:225-34 pubmed publisher..Increased AQP1 S-nitrosylation in the youngest group may decrease osmotic water permeability of cardiac membranes, having a negative impact on cardiac water balance. ..
- Marciniak A, Walczyna B, Rajtar G, Marciniak S, Wojtak A, Lasiecka K. Tempol, a Membrane-Permeable Radical Scavenger, Exhibits Anti-Inflammatory and Cardioprotective Effects in the Cerulein-Induced Pancreatitis Rat Model. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:4139851 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these studies, it is possible to conclude that tempol has a profound protective effect against cardiac and pancreatic damage induced by AP. ..
- Lee H, Kim Y. Antifungal Activity of Salvia miltiorrhiza Against Candida albicans Is Associated with the Alteration of Membrane Permeability and (1,3)-?-D-Glucan Synthase Activity. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;26:610-7 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that S. miltiorrhiza displays effective activity against C. albicans in vitro and merits further investigation to treat C. albicans-associated infections. ..
- Modgill V, Garg T, Goyal A, Rath G. Permeability study of ciprofloxacin from ultra-thin nanofibrous film through various mucosal membranes. Artif Cells Nanomed Biotechnol. 2016;44:122-7 pubmed publisher..Nanofiber being 2D nanoscale material provides numerous advantages to be used as an encapsulated carrier system to improve the therapeutic effectiveness. ..
- Xu Y, Zhang L, Xu J, Wei Y, Xu X. Membrane permeability of the human pluripotent stem cells to Me?SO, glycerol and 1,2-propanediol. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2014;550-551:67-76 pubmed publisher..Evaluating the cell membrane permeability and the corresponding activation energy of hESCs and hiPSCs for water and different cryoprotective ..
- Moldoveanu S, Dorubeţ D, Astarastoae V, Butnaru E. Hyponatremia at autopsy: cause of death or simply a marker of severity of the underlying disease. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2013;117:1028-34 pubmed..The values obtained by us are in agreement with the data in the literature. Our findings plead for the scenario hyponatremia as a marker of the severity of the underlying disease. ..
- Fecchio C, De Franceschi G, Relini A, Greggio E, Dalla Serra M, Bubacco L, et al. ?-Synuclein oligomers induced by docosahexaenoic acid affect membrane integrity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e82732 pubmed publisher..Our biophysical and cellular findings are consistent with a model where ?-synuclein oligomers are embedded into the lipid bilayer causing transient alteration of membrane permeability. ..
- Petrovich E, Asher C, Garty H. Induction of FKBP51 by aldosterone in intestinal epithelium. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2014;139:78-87 pubmed publisher..Overexpression or silencing FKBP51 in the kidney collecting duct cell line M1 had little or no effect on the aldosterone-induced increase in transepithelial Na(+) transport. ..
- Yan L, Yan C, Qian K, Su H, Kofsky Wofford S, Lee W, et al. Diamidine compounds for selective inhibition of protein arginine methyltransferase 1. J Med Chem. 2014;57:2611-22 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, cellular studies revealed that 1 is cell membrane permeable and effectively inhibits intracellular PRMT1 activity and blocks cell proliferation in leukemia cell lines with different genetic lesions. ..
- Torrens G, Pérez Gallego M, Moya B, Munar Bestard M, Zamorano L, Cabot G, et al. Targeting the permeability barrier and peptidoglycan recycling pathways to disarm Pseudomonas aeruginosa against the innate immune system. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181932 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results help to delineate new strategies against P. aeruginosa infections, simultaneously targeting ?-lactam resistance, cell-wall metabolism and virulence, ultimately enhancing the activity of our innate immune weapons. ..
- Phez E, Gibot L, Rols M. How transient alterations of organelles in mammalian cells submitted to electric field may explain some aspects of gene electrotransfer process. Bioelectrochemistry. 2016;112:166-72 pubmed publisher..These modifications, detected in the minutes following pulse delivery, were transient. They may have direct consequences on molecule delivery and therefore may explain various aspects of the mechanisms of DNA electrotransfer. ..
- Yumura S. A novel low-power laser-mediated transfer of foreign molecules into cells. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22055 pubmed publisher..This new technique will provide a powerful tool not only to research but also to many applied fields. ..
- Rea A, Tempone A, Pinto E, Mesquita J, Rodrigues E, Silva L, et al. Soulamarin isolated from Calophyllum brasiliense (Clusiaceae) induces plasma membrane permeabilization of Trypanosoma cruzi and mytochondrial dysfunction. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013;7:e2556 pubmed publisher..cruzi, secondary metabolites of plants affecting the bioenergetic system as soulamarin may contribute as scaffolds for the design of novel and selective drug candidates for neglected diseases, mainly Chagas disease. ..
- Lee H, Choi H, Ko H, Woo E, Lee D. Antifungal effect and mode of action of glochidioboside against Candida albicans membranes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;444:30-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study suggests that glochidioboside exerts an antifungal activity through a membrane-disruptive mechanism...
- Dietrich L, Rathmer B, Ewan K, Bange T, Heinrichs S, Dale T, et al. Cell Permeable Stapled Peptide Inhibitor of Wnt Signaling that Targets ?-Catenin Protein-Protein Interactions. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:958-968.e5 pubmed publisher..We expect that this type of integrative strategy that endows stapled peptides with CPP features will be generally useful for developing inhibitors of intracellular PPIs. ..
- Gao C, Guo N, Li N, Peng X, Wang P, Wang W, et al. Investigation of antibacterial activity of aspidin BB against Propionibacterium acnes. Arch Dermatol Res. 2016;308:79-86 pubmed publisher..acnes by disrupting their membrane, DNA and proteins and finally leaded to the cell death. The obtained data highlighted the potential of using aspidin BB as an alternative treatment for acne vulgaris. ..
- Carpenter J, Wang Y, Wu G, Feng J, Ye X, Morales C, et al. Utilization of an Active Site Mutant Receptor for the Identification of Potent and Selective Atypical 5-HT2C Receptor Agonists. J Med Chem. 2017;60:6166-6190 pubmed publisher..Oral administration of 69 to rats reduced food intake in an ad libitum feeding model, which could be completely reversed by a selective 5-HT2C antagonist. ..
- Ljones K, Ness H, Solvang Garten K, Gaustad S, Andre Høydal M. Acute exhaustive aerobic exercise training impair cardiomyocyte function and calcium handling in Sprague-Dawley rats. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173449 pubmed publisher..Acute exhaustive treadmill exercise is associated with impairment of cardiomyocyte Ca2+ handling and mitochondrial respiration that causes depression in both contraction and diastolic relaxation of cardiomyocytes. ..
- Québatte G, Kitas E, Seelig J. riDOM, a cell penetrating peptide. Interaction with phospholipid bilayers. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1838:968-77 pubmed publisher..This packing arrangement guarantees a good solubility of riDOM both in the aqueous and in the membrane phase. The membrane binding enthalpy is small and riDOM binding is thus entropy-driven. ..
- Stalmans S, Wynendaele E, Bracke N, Gevaert B, D Hondt M, Peremans K, et al. Chemical-functional diversity in cell-penetrating peptides. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71752 pubmed publisher..e. positive charge and amphipathicity, the shape, structure complexity and the 3D-pattern of constituting atoms influence the cellular uptake capacity of peptides. ..
- Tavano R, Malachin G, De Zotti M, Peggion C, Biondi B, Forrnaggio F, et al. The peculiar N- and (-termini of trichogin GA IV are needed for membrane interaction and human cell death induction at doses lacking antibiotic activity. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1848:134-44 pubmed..Replacement of one Gly with Lys plus the simultaneous esterification of the (-terminus, strongly increased trichogin GA IV anti-Gram+ activity (MIC 1-4 ~ ). but further mitigated its cytotoxicity on human cells. ..
- Paul K, Chattopadhyay K. Pre-pore oligomer formation by Vibrio cholerae cytolysin: insights from a truncated variant lacking the pore-forming pre-stem loop. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;443:189-93 pubmed publisher..Present study extends our insights regarding the structure-function mechanism associated with the membrane pore formation by VCC, in the context of the ?-PFT mode of action. ..
- GarcÃa AÃ±overos J, Wiwatpanit T. TRPML2 and mucolipin evolution. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2014;222:647-58 pubmed publisher..Given the restricted expression of TRPML2 in immune cells, this evolutionary history suggests a functional role in the adaptive immunity characteristic of vertebrates. ..
- LeÃ³n JuÃ¡rez M, MartÃnez Castillo M, Shrivastava G, GarcÃa Cordero J, Villegas Sepulveda N, MondragÃ³n CastelÃ¡n M, et al. Recombinant Dengue virus protein NS2B alters membrane permeability in different membrane models. Virol J. 2016;13:1 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the DENV-2 NS2B viral protein is capable of oligomerizing and organizing to form pore-like structures in different lipid environments, thereby modifying the permeability of cell membranes. ..
- Miyagawa T, Fujita T, Yumoto H, Yoshimoto T, Kajiya M, Ouhara K, et al. Azithromycin recovers reductions in barrier function in human gingival epithelial cells stimulated with tumor necrosis factor-Î±. Arch Oral Biol. 2016;62:64-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that AZM regulated gingival epithelial permeability through p38 MAP kinase and ERK signaling, and may contribute to suppress the inflammation in gingival tissue. ..
- Jiao Y, Sun L, Song Y, Wang L, Liu L, Zhang L, et al. AtrbohD and AtrbohF positively regulate abscisic acid-inhibited primary root growth by affecting Ca2+ signalling and auxin response of roots in Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2013;64:4183-92 pubmed publisher..ROS activate Ca(2+) signalling and reduce auxin sensitivity of roots, thus positively regulating ABA-inhibited primary root growth in Arabidopsis. ..
- Lee S. Monocytes: a novel drug delivery system targeting atherosclerosis. J Drug Target. 2014;22:138-45 pubmed publisher..We anticipate numerous applications of the monocyte-based drug delivery system, given its target specificity to activated EC. ..
- Lichtenegger M, Groschner K. TRPC3: a multifunctional signaling molecule. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2014;222:67-84 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize current knowledge on ion channel features as well as possible signaling functions of TRPC3 and discuss the potential biological relevance of this signaling molecule. ..
- Golan Y, Itsumura N, Glaser F, Berman B, Kambe T, Assaraf Y. Molecular Basis of Transient Neonatal Zinc Deficiency: NOVEL ZnT2 MUTATIONS DISRUPTING ZINC BINDING AND PERMEATION. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:13546-59 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the burning need for the development of a suitable genetic screen for the early diagnosis of TNZD to prevent morbidity. ..
- ..Genetic and functional studies have implicated TRPC1 in diabetic nephropathy, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, cancer, seizures, and Darier-White skin disease. ..