cell physiological phenomena
Summary: Cellular processes, properties, and characteristics.
- Lynch I, Salvati A, Dawson K. Protein-nanoparticle interactions: What does the cell see?. Nat Nanotechnol. 2009;4:546-7 pubmed publisher..Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy is used as a quantitative method to understand the binding and exchange behaviour of proteins on the surfaces of nanoparticles. ..
- Mogen A, Carroll R, James K, Lima G, Silva D, Culver J, et al. Staphylococcus aureus nitric oxide synthase (saNOS) modulates aerobic respiratory metabolism and cell physiology. Mol Microbiol. 2017;105:139-157 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings demonstrate a key contribution of saNOS to S. aureus aerobic respiratory metabolism. ..
- Salomão P, Oliveira F, Rodrigues P, Al Ahj L, Gasque K, Jeggle P, et al. The cytotoxic effect of TiF4 and NaF on fibroblasts is influenced by the experimental model, fluoride concentration and exposure time. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179471 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we compared the cytotoxicity of TiF4 with sodium fluoride (NaF) (already applied in Dentistry) considering different fluoride concentrations, pH values and experimental models...
- Krenkel M, Toepperwien M, Alves F, Salditt T. Three-dimensional single-cell imaging with X-ray waveguides in the holographic regime. Acta Crystallogr A Found Adv. 2017;73:282-292 pubmed publisher..As a result, it is shown that phase retrieval is no longer a bottleneck for holographic imaging of cells, and how advanced schemes can be implemented to cope also with high noise and inconsistencies in the data. ..
- Thomas G, Renjith M, Manna T. Kinetochore-microtubule interactions in chromosome segregation: lessons from yeast and mammalian cells. Biochem J. 2017;474:3559-3577 pubmed publisher..The present review focuses on the most recent advances in understanding of the molecular and structural aspects of kinetochore-microtubule interaction based on the studies in yeast and vertebrate cells...
- Dietrich C. A model for cell-cell recognition and control of cell growth mediated by sulfated glycosaminoglycans. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1984;17:5-15 pubmed
- Thielens N, Tedesco F, Bohlson S, Gaboriaud C, Tenner A. C1q: A fresh look upon an old molecule. Mol Immunol. 2017;89:73-83 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the classical functions of C1q and reviews novel discoveries within the field. ..
- Zhang Y, Wei F, Poh Y, Jia Q, Chen J, Chen J, et al. Interfacing 3D magnetic twisting cytometry with confocal fluorescence microscopy to image force responses in living cells. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:1437-1450 pubmed publisher..The integrated 3D-MTC-microscopy platform takes ?20 d to construct, and the experimental procedures require ?4 d when carried out by a life sciences graduate student. ..
- Fruman D, Chiu H, Hopkins B, Bagrodia S, Cantley L, Abraham R. The PI3K Pathway in Human Disease. Cell. 2017;170:605-635 pubmed publisher..We also discuss recent progress developing PI3K-targeted therapies for treatment of cancer and other diseases. ..
- Gao F, Almeida S, López González R. Dysregulated molecular pathways in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis-frontotemporal dementia spectrum disorder. EMBO J. 2017;36:2931-2950 pubmed publisher..These exciting advances reveal the complexity of the pathogenic mechanisms of FTD and ALS and suggest promising molecular targets for future therapeutic interventions in these devastating disorders. ..
- Ziats N, Miller K, Anderson J. In vitro and in vivo interactions of cells with biomaterials. Biomaterials. 1988;9:5-13 pubmed..In this review, we summarize the interaction of cells with biomaterials in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Benson R, Meyer R, Zaruba M, McKhann G. Cellular autofluorescence--is it due to flavins?. J Histochem Cytochem. 1979;27:44-8 pubmed..Measurements of fluorescence intensity and spectra of a variety of cell types and assays of neuronal homogenates are presented to demonstrate that this autofluorescence is most likely due to endogenous flavoproteins. ..
- Proia R, Hla T. Emerging biology of sphingosine-1-phosphate: its role in pathogenesis and therapy. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:1379-87 pubmed publisher..The unique mode of signaling of this lysophospholipid mediator is providing novel opportunities for therapeutic intervention, with possibilities to target not only GPCRs but also transporters, metabolic enzymes, and chaperones. ..
- Schaff J, Fink C, Slepchenko B, Carson J, Loew L. A general computational framework for modeling cellular structure and function. Biophys J. 1997;73:1135-46 pubmed..The results can be directly compared to experimental observations and provide insight into the role of experimentally inaccessible components of the overall mechanism. ..
- Zigmond S. How WASP regulates actin polymerization. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:F117-20 pubmed
- . Abstracts of the 5th Asian-Pacific Organization for Cell Biology (APOCB) Congress, October 28-31, 2006, Beijing, China. Cell Res. 2006;16 Suppl 1:S1-169 pubmed
- Virzi G, Day S, De Cal M, Vescovo G, Ronco C. Heart-kidney crosstalk and role of humoral signaling in critical illness. Crit Care. 2014;18:201 pubmed publisher..This review briefly summarizes relevant research and focuses on the role of signaling in heart-kidney crosstalk in the critical care setting. ..
- Cramer L. Myosin VI: roles for a minus end-directed actin motor in cells. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:F121-6 pubmed
- Cuypers T, Rutten J, Hogeweg P. Evolution of evolvability and phenotypic plasticity in virtual cells. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:60 pubmed publisher..Moreover, after continued evolution, evolvability can be a viable alternative with comparable fitness to regulated phenotypic plasticity in all but the most rapidly changing environments. ..
- Rost B, Schneider Warme F, Schmitz D, Hegemann P. Optogenetic Tools for Subcellular Applications in Neuroscience. Neuron. 2017;96:572-603 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss useful tools and targeting strategies that are currently missing from the optogenetics repertoire and provide suggestions for novel subcellular optogenetic applications...
- Chiarugi D, Falaschi M, Hermith D, Olarte C, Torella L. Modelling non-Markovian dynamics in biochemical reactions. BMC Syst Biol. 2015;9 Suppl 3:S8 pubmed publisher..We show that our methodology makes it possible to obtain accurate models of enzymatic reactions that, in specific cases, fit experimental data better than the corresponding Markovian models. ..
- McManus M, Churchwell K, Strange K. Regulation of cell volume in health and disease. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1260-6 pubmed
- Lawley S, Keener J. Rebinding in biochemical reactions on membranes. Phys Biol. 2017;14:056002 pubmed publisher..Further, we compute a new concentration-dependent rebinding probability for reactions in three space dimensions. Our analysis predicts that rebinding plays a much larger role in reactions on membranes compared to reactions in cytoplasm. ..
- Kaganovich D. There Is an Inclusion for That: Material Properties of Protein Granules Provide a Platform for Building Diverse Cellular Functions. Trends Biochem Sci. 2017;42:765-776 pubmed publisher..In this review we examine the emerging idea of protein granules as a new functional and structural unit of cellular organization. ..
- Bach L. Insulin-Like Growth Factor Binding Proteins--an Update. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev. 2015;13:521-30 pubmed..Understanding the balance between the various actions of IGFBPs in vivo may lead to novel insights into disease processes and possible IGFBP-based therapeutics. ..