Genomes and Genes
aortic valve stenosis
Summary: A pathological constriction that can occur above (supravalvular stenosis), below (subvalvular stenosis), or at the AORTIC VALVE. It is characterized by restricted outflow from the LEFT VENTRICLE into the AORTA.
- Krane M, Deutsch M, Piazza N, Muhtarova T, Elhmidi Y, Mazzitelli D, et al. One-year results of health-related quality of life among patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2012;109:1774-81 pubmed publisher..We performed a prospective analysis of 186 patients with symptomatic severe aortic valve stenosis ineligible for conventional aortic valve replacement, who underwent TAVI with either the Medtronic ..
- Garcia J, Marrufo O, Rodríguez A, Larose E, Pibarot P, Kadem L. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance evaluation of aortic stenosis severity using single plane measurement of effective orifice area. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2012;14:23 pubmed publisher..The novel CMR-based methods proposed in this study may be helpful to corroborate stenosis severity in patients for whom Doppler-echocardiography exam is inconclusive. ..
- Haensig M, Lehmkuhl L, Rastan A, Kempfert J, Mukherjee C, Gutberlet M, et al. Aortic valve calcium scoring is a predictor of significant paravalvular aortic insufficiency in transapical-aortic valve implantation. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012;41:1234-40; discussion 1240-1 pubmed publisher..AVCS prior to TA-AVI might serve as an additional tool to reconsider the TAVI indication to reduce the risk of paravalvular leaks especially in so-called operable patients. ..
- Ferrari E, Gronchi F, Qanadli S, von Segesser L. Transapical aortic valve replacement through a chronic apical aneurysm. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012;14:367-9 pubmed publisher..We illustrate our experience with a 73-year-old patient suffering from symptomatic aortic valve stenosis, coronary artery disease with occluded left anterior descending artery, left ventricular apical aneurysm ..
- Holme I, Pedersen T, Boman K, Egstrup K, Gerdts E, Kesaniemi Y, et al. A risk score for predicting mortality in patients with asymptomatic mild to moderate aortic stenosis. Heart. 2012;98:377-83 pubmed publisher..A new seven factor model for risk stratification of patients with mild to moderate asymptomatic AS identified a high risk group for total mortality with good discrimination properties. ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT 00092677. ..
- Bleiziffer S, Mazzitelli D, Opitz A, Hettich I, Ruge H, Piazza N, et al. Beyond the short-term: clinical outcome and valve performance 2 years after transcatheter aortic valve implantation in 227 patients. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012;143:310-7 pubmed publisher..and overall low morbidity at 2 years, transcatheter aortic valve implantation may be considered the treatment of choice for aortic valve stenosis in elderly patients with an increased risk for surgery with a heart-lung machine.
- Bijuklic K, Tuebler T, Reichenspurner H, Treede H, Wandler A, Harreld J, et al. Midterm stability and hemodynamic performance of a transfemorally implantable nonmetallic, retrievable, and repositionable aortic valve in patients with severe aortic stenosis. Up to 2-year follow-up of the direct-flow medical valve: a pilot study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4:595-601 pubmed publisher
- Tamburino C, Capodanno D, Ramondo A, Petronio A, Ettori F, Santoro G, et al. Incidence and predictors of early and late mortality after transcatheter aortic valve implantation in 663 patients with severe aortic stenosis. Circulation. 2011;123:299-308 pubmed publisher..Although procedural complications are strongly associated with early mortality at 30 days, comorbidities and postprocedural paravalvular aortic regurgitation ≥ 2+ mainly impact late outcomes between 30 days and 1 year. ..
- Masuda C, Dohi K, Sakurai Y, Bessho Y, Fukuda H, Fujii S, et al. Impact of chronic kidney disease on the presence and severity of aortic stenosis in patients at high risk for coronary artery disease. Cardiovasc Ultrasound. 2011;9:31 pubmed publisher..05 vs. group 2: 1.35 ± 0.27 m/sec). CKD, even pre-stage 5 CKD, has a more powerful impact on the presence and severity of AS than other conventional risk factors for atherosclerosis in patients at high risk for CAD. ..
- Langanay T, Flecher E, Fouquet O, Ruggieri V, De La Tour B, Felix C, et al. Aortic valve replacement in the elderly: the real life. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012;93:70-7; discussion 77-8 pubmed publisher..Concerns about the management of aortic valve stenosis in the elderly will be reviewed...
- Dweck M, Joshi S, Murigu T, Alpendurada F, Jabbour A, Melina G, et al. Midwall fibrosis is an independent predictor of mortality in patients with aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;58:1271-9 pubmed publisher..Midwall fibrosis was an independent predictor of mortality in patients with moderate and severe aortic stenosis. It has incremental prognostic value to ejection fraction and may provide a useful method of risk stratification. ..
- Bapat V, Khawaja M, Attia R, Narayana A, Wilson K, Macgillivray K, et al. Transaortic Transcatheter Aortic valve implantation using Edwards Sapien valve: a novel approach. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012;79:733-40 pubmed publisher..The TA-TAVI approach may not be desirable in patients with severe chest deformity, poor lung function or poor left ventricular function. TAo-TAVI via a partial sternotomy is safe and feasible in these patients. ..
- Fairbairn T, Mather A, Bijsterveld P, Worthy G, Currie S, Goddard A, et al. Diffusion-weighted MRI determined cerebral embolic infarction following transcatheter aortic valve implantation: assessment of predictive risk factors and the relationship to subsequent health status. Heart. 2012;98:18-23 pubmed publisher..Overall HRQoL improved and there was no association between the number of new cerebral infarcts and altered health status. ..
- Altiok E, Koos R, Schröder J, Brehmer K, Hamada S, Becker M, et al. Comparison of two-dimensional and three-dimensional imaging techniques for measurement of aortic annulus diameters before transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Heart. 2011;97:1578-84 pubmed publisher..3D TEE provides measurements of aortic annulus diameters similar to those obtained by DSCT. ..
- Gurvitch R, Tay E, Wijesinghe N, Ye J, Nietlispach F, Wood D, et al. Transcatheter aortic valve implantation: lessons from the learning curve of the first 270 high-risk patients. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;78:977-84 pubmed publisher..7, 95% CI: 1.2-18.1, P = 0.03). TAVI outcomes improve with experience and device development. While overall complication rates are low, scope remains to further reduce procedural adverse events. ..
- Ueland T, Aukrust P, Dahl C, Husebye T, Solberg O, Tønnessen T, et al. Osteoprotegerin levels predict mortality in patients with symptomatic aortic stenosis. J Intern Med. 2011;270:452-60 pubmed publisher..The level of circulating OPG is significantly associated with all-cause mortality alone and in combination with NT-proBNP in patients with severe symptomatic AS. ..
- Adams J, Jiamsripong P, Belohlavek M, McMahon E, Marupakula V, Heys J, et al. Potential role of Reynolds number in resolving Doppler- and catheter-based transvalvular gradient discrepancies in aortic stenosis. J Heart Valve Dis. 2011;20:159-64 pubmed..However, within an intermediate range of RE, where the effects of viscous and inertial forces are balanced, the agreement between catheter- and Doppler-derived gradients was excellent. ..
- Vaturi M, Perl L, Leshem Lev D, Dadush O, Bental T, Shapira Y, et al. Circulating endothelial progenitor cells in patients with dysfunctional versus normally functioning congenitally bicuspid aortic valves. Am J Cardiol. 2011;108:272-6 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, patients with BAV and significant valve dysfunction appear to have circulating EPCs with impaired functional properties. These findings require validation by further studies. ..
- O CONNOR K, Magne J, Rosca M, Pierard L, Lancellotti P. Left atrial function and remodelling in aortic stenosis. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2011;12:299-305 pubmed publisher..In AS, changes in LA function did not parallel changes in LA size. Furthermore, the increase in LA volume does not necessarily reflect the presence of intrinsic LA dysfunction. ..
- Kupreishvili K, Baidoshvili A, ter Weeme M, Huybregts M, Krijnen P, van Hinsbergh V, et al. Degeneration and atherosclerosis inducing increased deposition of type IIA secretory phospholipase A2, C-reactive protein and complement in aortic valves cause neutrophilic granulocyte influx. J Heart Valve Dis. 2011;20:29-36 pubmedRecent studies have indicated that atherosclerosis-like changes are involved in the pathogenesis of aortic valve stenosis. Increased blood and valve tissue levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) have been reported in patients with aortic ..
- Abdel Wahab M, Zahn R, Horack M, Gerckens U, Schuler G, Sievert H, et al. Aortic regurgitation after transcatheter aortic valve implantation: incidence and early outcome. Results from the German transcatheter aortic valve interventions registry. Heart. 2011;97:899-906 pubmed publisher..Long-term follow-up is critical to further define the impact of residual AR on clinical outcome. Until these data become available, every effort should be made to prevent and treat this complication. ..
- Helton T, Kapadia S, Tuzcu E. Clinical trial experience with transcatheter aortic valve insertion. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011;27:1143-54 pubmed publisher..This manuscript will review the currently available clinical trial data with transcatheter aortic valve implantation and offer perspective as to the future of this novel technology. ..