Genomes and Genes
right ventricular hypertrophy
Summary: Enlargement of the RIGHT VENTRICLE of the heart. This increase in ventricular mass is often attributed to PULMONARY HYPERTENSION and is a contributor to cardiovascular morbidity and mortality.
- Liu H, Liu Z, Guan Q. Oral sildenafil prevents and reverses the development of pulmonary hypertension in monocrotaline-treated rats. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2007;6:608-13 pubmed..The present results suggest that sildenafil can prevent and reverse the development of pulmonary hypertension in monocrotaline-treated rats by improving the function of endothelin system in pulmonary arteries. ..
- Nagendran J, Archer S, Soliman D, Gurtu V, Moudgil R, Haromy A, et al. Phosphodiesterase type 5 is highly expressed in the hypertrophied human right ventricle, and acute inhibition of phosphodiesterase type 5 improves contractility. Circulation. 2007;116:238-48 pubmed
- Morecroft I, Dempsie Y, Bader M, Walther D, Kotnik K, Loughlin L, et al. Effect of tryptophan hydroxylase 1 deficiency on the development of hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Hypertension. 2007;49:232-6 pubmed..These effects of hypoxia were attenuated in the tryptophan hydroxylase 1-/-mice. Hypoxia increased right ventricular hypertrophy in both wild-type and tryptophan hydroxylase 1-/-mice suggesting that in vivo peripheral serotonin has ..
- Vonk Noordegraaf A, Marcus J, Holverda S, Roseboom B, Postmus P. Early changes of cardiac structure and function in COPD patients with mild hypoxemia. Chest. 2005;127:1898-903 pubmed..From these results, we conclude that concentric RV hypertrophy is the earliest sign of RV pressure overload in patients with COPD. This structural adaptation of the heart does not alter RV and LV systolic function. ..
- Py G, Eydoux N, Lambert K, Chapot R, Koulmann N, Sanchez H, et al. Role of hypoxia-induced anorexia and right ventricular hypertrophy on lactate transport and MCT expression in rat muscle. Metabolism. 2005;54:634-44 pubmed..Moreover, the results emphasize the role played by caloric restriction on the control of gene expression in response to chronic hypoxia and suggest that hypoxia-induced right ventricle hypertrophy failed to alter MCT proteins. ..
- MacLean M, Deuchar G, Hicks M, Morecroft I, Shen S, Sheward J, et al. Overexpression of the 5-hydroxytryptamine transporter gene: effect on pulmonary hemodynamics and hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension. Circulation. 2004;109:2150-5 pubmed..Hypoxia-induced increases in right ventricular hypertrophy and pulmonary vascular remodeling were also potentiated in the 5-HTT+ mice...
- Elmedal B, de Dam M, Mulvany M, Simonsen U. The superoxide dismutase mimetic, tempol, blunts right ventricular hypertrophy in chronic hypoxic rats. Br J Pharmacol. 2004;141:105-13 pubmed..3. Treatment with tempol (86 mg x kg(-1) day(-1) in drinking water) normalized RVSP and reduced right ventricular hypertrophy, while systemic blood pressure, lung and liver weights, and blunted ACh relaxation of pulmonary ..
- Ahn B, Park H, Cho H, Lee H, Lee Y, Yang E, et al. Estrogen and enalapril attenuate the development of right ventricular hypertrophy induced by monocrotaline in ovariectomized rats. J Korean Med Sci. 2003;18:641-8 pubmed..These results from this rat model suggest that both estrogen and inhibition of the renin-angiotensin system have protective functions against the development of the pulmonary hypertension and cardiac remodeling. ..
- Ecarnot Laubriet A, Rochette L, Vergely C, Sicard P, Teyssier J. The activation pattern of the antioxidant enzymes in the right ventricle of rat in response to pressure overload is of heart failure type. Heart Dis. 2003;5:308-12 pubmed..This inability to activate antioxidant enzymes may contribute to the deleterious consequences of pressure overload on right ventricle systolic function. ..
- Braun M, Szalai P, Strasser R, Borst M. Right ventricular hypertrophy and apoptosis after pulmonary artery banding: regulation of PKC isozymes. Cardiovasc Res. 2003;59:658-67 pubmed
- Bär H, Kreuzer J, Cojoc A, Jahn L. Upregulation of embryonic transcription factors in right ventricular hypertrophy. Basic Res Cardiol. 2003;98:285-94 pubmed..We conclude that TF known to regulate embryonic heart development are involved in the adaptational response of adult ventricular myocardium to pressure overload. ..
- Kogler H, Hartmann O, Leineweber K, Nguyen van P, Schott P, Brodde O, et al. Mechanical load-dependent regulation of gene expression in monocrotaline-induced right ventricular hypertrophy in the rat. Circ Res. 2003;93:230-7 pubmed..Neuroendocrine factors, which equally affect both chambers, are not sufficient to alter the expression of Ca2+-cycling proteins. ..
- Marcos E, Adnot S, Pham M, Nosjean A, Raffestin B, Hamon M, et al. Serotonin transporter inhibitors protect against hypoxic pulmonary hypertension. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003;168:487-93 pubmed..These data indicate that 5-HTT plays a key role in hypoxia-induced pulmonary vascular remodeling. The effects of serotonin transporter inhibitors on PH in humans deserve investigation. ..
- Weissmann N, Nollen M, Gerigk B, Ardeschir Ghofrani H, Schermuly R, Gunther A, et al. Downregulation of hypoxic vasoconstriction by chronic hypoxia in rabbits: effects of nitric oxide. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2003;284:H931-8 pubmed..Long-term NO inhalation partially maintains the strength of the hypoxic vasoconstrictor response. ..
- Nishimura T, Faul J, Berry G, Vaszar L, Qiu D, Pearl R, et al. Simvastatin attenuates smooth muscle neointimal proliferation and pulmonary hypertension in rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166:1403-8 pubmed..Day 35, rats that received vehicle had higher mean pulmonary arterial pressures (53 +/- 2 mm Hg) and right ventricular hypertrophy (right ventricle/[left ventricle plus septum] [RV/LV+S] = 0.78 +/- 0...
- Hoshikawa Y, Ono S, Suzuki S, Tanita T, Chida M, Song C, et al. Generation of oxidative stress contributes to the development of pulmonary hypertension induced by hypoxia. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2001;90:1299-306 pubmedChronic hypoxia causes pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular hypertrophy associated with pulmonary vascular remodeling...
- Cho Y, Eom G, Kee H, Kim H, Choi W, Nam K, et al. Sodium valproate, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, but not captopril, prevents right ventricular hypertrophy in rats. Circ J. 2010;74:760-70 pubmedAlthough right ventricular hypertrophy (RVH) is an adaptive process to stresses such as outflow tract obstruction, uncorrected persistent RVH often results in failure of the right ventricle or even the left ventricle...
- Miyata M, Ito M, Sasajima T, Ohira H, Kasukawa R. Effect of a serotonin receptor antagonist on interleukin-6-induced pulmonary hypertension in rats. Chest. 2001;119:554-61 pubmed..Serotonin receptor antagonists could be considered as potentially useful agents for the treatment of chronic thromboembolic PH, as well as for that of primary PH and PH associated with collagen vascular diseases. ..
- Steudel W, Scherrer Crosbie M, Bloch K, Weimann J, Huang P, Jones R, et al. Sustained pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular hypertrophy after chronic hypoxia in mice with congenital deficiency of nitric oxide synthase 3. J Clin Invest. 1998;101:2468-77 pubmed
- Thenappan T, Ormiston M, Ryan J, Archer S. Pulmonary arterial hypertension: pathogenesis and clinical management. BMJ. 2018;360:j5492 pubmed publisher..Obstructive pulmonary vascular remodeling in PAH increases right ventricular afterload causing right ventricular hypertrophy. In some patients, maladaptive changes in the right ventricle, including ischemia and fibrosis, reduce ..
- Nan X, Su S, Ma K, Ma X, Wang X, Zhaxi D, et al. Bioactive fraction of Rhodiola algida against chronic hypoxia-induced pulmonary arterial hypertension and its anti-proliferation mechanism in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2018;216:175-183 pubmed publisher..Compared with the normal group, administration of ACRT reduced mPAP, right ventricular hypertrophy, pulmonary small artery wall thickness, and damage in ultrastructure induced by hypoxia in rats...
- Jernigan N, Resta T, Gonzalez Bosc L. Altered Redox Balance in the Development of Chronic Hypoxia-induced Pulmonary Hypertension. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;967:83-103 pubmed publisher..The rise in pulmonary vascular resistance increases right heart afterload causing right ventricular hypertrophy that can ultimately lead to right heart failure in patients with chronic lung disease...
- Chaubey S, Thueson S, Ponnalagu D, Alam M, Gheorghe C, AGHAI Z, et al. Early gestational mesenchymal stem cell secretome attenuates experimental bronchopulmonary dysplasia in part via exosome-associated factor TSG-6. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2018;9:173 pubmed publisher..Pulmonary hypertension and right ventricular hypertrophy was also corrected. Cell death in brain was decreased and the hypomyelination reversed...