Genomes and Genes
Summary: An autosomal dominant defect of cardiac conduction that is characterized by an abnormal ST-segment in leads V1-V3 on the ELECTROCARDIOGRAM resembling a right BUNDLE-BRANCH BLOCK; high risk of VENTRICULAR TACHYCARDIA; or VENTRICULAR FIBRILLATION; SYNCOPAL EPISODE; and possible sudden death. This syndrome is linked to mutations of gene encoding the cardiac SODIUM CHANNEL alpha subunit.
- Ragab A, Houck C, van der Does L, Lanters E, Burghouwt D, Muskens A, et al. Usefulness of the R-Wave Sign as a Predictor for Ventricular Tachyarrhythmia in Patients With Brugada Syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:428-434 pubmed publisherb>Brugada syndrome (BrS) is an autosomal dominant channelopathy which is responsible for a large number of sudden cardiac deaths in young subjects without structural abnormalities...
- Wang Y, Zhao X, O Neil A, Turner A, Liu X, Berk M. Altered cardiac autonomic nervous function in depression. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:187 pubmed publisher..Individuals with depression appear to be susceptible to premature atrial and/or ventricular disease. ..
- Suktitipat B, Sathirareuangchai S, Roothumnong E, Thongnoppakhun W, Wangkiratikant P, Vorasan N, et al. Molecular investigation by whole exome sequencing revealed a high proportion of pathogenic variants among Thai victims of sudden unexpected death syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180056 pubmed publisher..WES can help to identify the genetic causes in victims of SUDS and may help to further guide investigations into their relatives to prevent additional SUDS victims. ..
- Yagi S, Soeki T, Aihara K, Fukuda D, Ise T, Kadota M, et al. Low Serum Levels of Eicosapentaenoic Acid and Docosahexaenoic Acid are Risk Factors for Cardiogenic Syncope in Patients with Brugada Syndrome. Int Heart J. 2017;58:720-723 pubmed publisher..unknown whether low serum levels of n-3 PUFAs are risk factors for ventricular fibrillation in patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS)...
- Li Q, Wang D, Chen B. Electrocardiogram in patients with acute inferior myocardial infarction due to occlusion of circumflex artery. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6095 pubmed publisher..05 for all). The changes of STD I, STE III < STEII, STD AVL < STD I could discriminate between LCX and RCA in AIMI patients with high sensitivity and specificity.ECG may be an effective tool to predict the IRA in patient with AIMI. ..
- Liao W, Juo L, Shih Y, Chen Y, Yan Y. HSPB7 prevents cardiac conduction system defect through maintaining intercalated disc integrity. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006984 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings characterize HSPB7 as an intercalated disc protein and suggest it has an essential role in maintaining intercalated disc integrity and conduction function in the adult heart. ..
- Ozyilmaz I, Akyol B, Ergul Y. Sudden Cardiac Arrest While Eating a Hot Dog: A Rare Presentation of Brugada Syndrome in a Child. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisherPatients who are diagnosed with Brugada syndrome (BS) usually experience sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) and arrhythmia when they have a high fever, consume alcohol, and, more frequently, during their night sleep...
- Pappone C, Brugada J, Vicedomini G, Ciconte G, Manguso F, Saviano M, et al. Electrical Substrate Elimination in 135 Consecutive Patients With Brugada Syndrome. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017;10:e005053 pubmed publisher..electric activity in the epicardial right ventricular outflow tract may be beneficial in patients with Brugada syndrome. A total of 135 symptomatic Brugada syndrome patients having implantable cardiac defibrillator were enrolled: ..
- Forsblad d Elia H, Wallberg H, Klingberg E, Carlsten H, Bergfeldt L. Cardiac conduction system abnormalities in ankylosing spondylitis: a cross-sectional study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14:237 pubmed publisher..Even relatively mild conduction system abnormalities might, however, indirectly affect morbidity and mortality. ..
- Dendramis G, Paleologo C, Sgarito G, Giordano U, Verlato R, Baranchuk A, et al. Anesthetic and Perioperative Management of Patients With Brugada Syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1031-1036 pubmed publisherb>Brugada syndrome (BrS) is an arrhythmogenic disease reported to be one among the leading causes of cardiac death in subjects under the age of 40 years...
- Ackerman M, Priori S, Willems S, Berul C, Brugada R, Calkins H, et al. HRS/EHRA expert consensus statement on the state of genetic testing for the channelopathies and cardiomyopathies this document was developed as a partnership between the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS) and the European Heart Rhythm Association (EHRA). Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:1308-39 pubmed publisher
- Mugnai G, Hunuk B, Hernandez Ojeda J, Ströker E, Velagic V, Ciconte G, et al. Role of Electrocardiographic Tpeak-Tend for the Prediction of Ventricular Arrhythmic Events in the Brugada Syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1332-1337 pubmed publisher..Tpeak-Tend (TpTe) as a possible predictor of ventricular arrhythmic events in patients with Brugada syndrome (BrS)...
- Lown B, Ganong W, Levine S. The syndrome of short P-R interval, normal QRS complex and paroxysmal rapid heart action. Circulation. 1952;5:693-706 pubmed
- Hernandez Ojeda J, Arbelo E, Borràs R, Berne P, Tolosana J, Gomez Juanatey A, et al. Patients With Brugada Syndrome and Implanted Cardioverter-Defibrillators: Long-Term Follow-Up. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1991-2002 pubmed publisherImplantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) indications for primary prevention in Brugada syndrome (BrS) are still debated.
- Reddy N, Moudgil R, Lopez Mattei J, Karimzad K, Mouhayar E, Somaiah N, et al. Progressive and Reversible Conduction Disease With Checkpoint Inhibitors. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1335.e13-1335.e15 pubmed publisher..Prompt medical intervention resulted in full recovery. Despite the anticancer efficacy, the newer antineoplastic agents pose a significant and often life-threatening risk of cardiotoxicity. ..
- Ottolini M, Barker B, Gaykema R, Meisler M, Patel M. Aberrant Sodium Channel Currents and Hyperexcitability of Medial Entorhinal Cortex Neurons in a Mouse Model of SCN8A Encephalopathy. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7643-7655 pubmed publisher..6 may increase excitatory drive into the hippocampus, culminating in seizure activity and SUDEP. ..
- Gonzalez Corcia M, Sieira J, Pappaert G, De Asmundis C, Chierchia G, Sarkozy A, et al. A Clinical Score Model to Predict Lethal Events in Young Patients (?19 Years) With the Brugada Syndrome. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:797-802 pubmed publisherRisk stratification in Brugada syndrome in young patients remains challenging. We investigated the clinical characteristics, prognosis, and risk in young patients with the Brugada syndrome...
- Prall M, Lehmann H, Prokesch H, Richter D, Graeff C, Kaderka R, et al. Treatment of arrhythmias by external charged particle beams: a Langendorff feasibility study. Biomed Tech (Berl). 2015;60:147-56 pubmed publisher..Second, our pilot study seems to suggest that no adverse effects have to be expected immediately during heavy ion irradiation in performing subsequent experiments with doses of 30-60 Gy and intact pigs. ..