Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological conditions involving the HEART including its structural and functional abnormalities.
- Jirkovsky E, Popelova O, Kriváková Stanková P, Vavrova A, Hroch M, Haskova P, et al. Chronic anthracycline cardiotoxicity: molecular and functional analysis with focus on nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 and mitochondrial biogenesis pathways. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012;343:468-78 pubmed publisher..These results imply that global oxidative stress need not be a factor responsible for the development of anthracycline-induced HF, whereas suppression of mitochondrial biogenesis might be involved. ..
- Madsen A, Thihalolipavan S, Maduro G, Zimmerman R, Koppaka R, Li W, et al. An intervention to improve cause-of-death reporting in New York City hospitals, 2009-2010. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E157 pubmed publisher..At nonintervention hospitals, these measures remained relatively consistent across the intervention and postintervention period. This NYC health department's hospital-level intervention led to durable changes in COD reporting. ..
- O Connell T, Jensen B, Baker A, Simpson P. Cardiac alpha1-adrenergic receptors: novel aspects of expression, signaling mechanisms, physiologic function, and clinical importance. Pharmacol Rev. 2014;66:308-33 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings identify novel functional and mechanistic aspects of cardiac alpha1-AR function and suggest that activation of cardiac alpha1-AR might be a viable therapeutic strategy in heart failure. ..
- Wong T, Piehler K, Puntil K, Moguillansky D, Meier C, Lacomis J, et al. Effectiveness of late gadolinium enhancement to improve outcomes prediction in patients referred for cardiovascular magnetic resonance after echocardiography. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2013;15:6 pubmed publisher..We assessed whether CMR improves outcomes prediction after contemporaneous echo, which may have implications for efforts to optimize processes of care, assess effectiveness, and allocate limited health care resources...
- Zaidi S, Choi M, Wakimoto H, Ma L, Jiang J, Overton J, et al. De novo mutations in histone-modifying genes in congenital heart disease. Nature. 2013;498:220-3 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate de novo point mutations in several hundreds of genes that collectively contribute to approximately 10% of severe CHD. ..
- Nakamura Y, Yashiro M, Uehara R, Sadakane A, Tsuboi S, Aoyama Y, et al. Epidemiologic features of Kawasaki disease in Japan: results of the 2009-2010 nationwide survey. J Epidemiol. 2012;22:216-21 pubmed..Despite a decrease in prevalence, the proportion of patients with giant coronary aneurysms-the most severe sequela of KD-did not substantially decrease. The incidence rate and number of patients with KD continue to increase in Japan. ..
- Francis D, Mielewczik M, Zargaran D, Cole G. Autologous bone marrow-derived stem cell therapy in heart disease: discrepancies and contradictions. Int J Cardiol. 2013;168:3381-403 pubmed publisher..Journals could consider prioritising systematic reporting of queries even if seemingly minor, and establishing a policy of "habeas data". ..
- Ceylan O, Mese T, Gürsu A. Using cardiovascular imaging modalities to determine cardiac disorders before starting sports activities. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars. 2017;45:160-166 pubmed publisher..Pediatric cardiology consultation for young athletes before they start sports activities is needed. ..
- Yildirim A, Ozgen F, Ucar B, Alatas O, Tekin N, Kilic Z. The Diagnostic Value of Troponin T Level in the Determination of Cardiac Damage in Perinatal Asphyxia Newborns. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2016;35:29-36 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity and specificity of cardiac specific troponin T levels in detecting cardiac damage are much higher according to telecardiography and electrocardiography, while the implementation of the method is simple. ..
- van Giessen A, De Wit G, Smit H, Den Ruijter H, Nierich A, Jansen Klomp W, et al. Patient selection for cardiac surgery: Time to consider subgroups within risk categories?. Int J Cardiol. 2016;203:1103-8 pubmed publisher..Discussions on allocation of cardiac surgery patients to different interventions may benefit from focusing on such specific subgroups. ..
- Gotink R, Younge J, Wery M, Utens E, Michels M, Rizopoulos D, et al. Online mindfulness as a promising method to improve exercise capacity in heart disease: 12-month follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175923 pubmed publisher..www.trialregister.nl NTR3453. ..
- Kiguti L, Borges C, Mueller A, Silva K, Polo C, Rosa J, et al. Gender-specific impairment of in vitro sinoatrial node chronotropic responses and of myocardial ischemia tolerance in rats exposed prenatally to betamethasone. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;334:66-74 pubmed publisher..In light of the importance of adenosine in the cardiac physiology our results suggest a link between reduced adenosinergic signaling and the cardiac dysfunctions observed in glucocorticoid-induced fetal programming. ..
- Yan J, Thomson J, Zhao W, Wu X, Gao X, DeMarco D, et al. The stress kinase JNK regulates gap junction Cx43 gene expression and promotes atrial fibrillation in the aged heart. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018;114:105-115 pubmed publisher..JNK inhibition may represent a promising therapeutic approach to prevent or treat AF in the elderly. ..
- Camacho LondoÃ±o J, Tian Q, Hammer K, SchrÃ¶der L, Camacho LondoÃ±o J, Reil J, et al. A background Ca2+ entry pathway mediated by TRPC1/TRPC4 is critical for development of pathological cardiac remodelling. Eur Heart J. 2015;36:2257-66 pubmed publisher..TRPC1/C4-gene inactivation protects against development of maladaptive cardiac remodelling without altering cardiac or extracardiac functions contributing to this pathogenesis. ..
- Huang Z, Tian L, Yang B, Guo R. Long Noncoding RNA H19 Acts as a Competing Endogenous RNA to Mediate CTGF Expression by Sponging miR-455 in Cardiac Fibrosis. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:759-766 pubmed publisher..The present study reveals a novel function of the H19/miR-455 axis targeting CTGF in cardiac fibrosis, suggesting its potential therapeutic role in cardiac diseases. ..
- Seo S, Kim S, Cho S, Park H, Lee S, Choi J, et al. Application of Multigene Panel Sequencing in Patients with Prolonged Rate-corrected QT Interval and No Pathogenic Variants Detected in KCNQ1, KCNH2, and SCN5A. Ann Lab Med. 2018;38:54-58 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive screening of genetic variants using multigene panel sequencing enables detection of genetic variants with a possible involvement in QTc interval prolongation, thus uncovering unknown molecular mechanisms underlying LQTS. ..
- Cannavo A, Koch W. Targeting ?3-Adrenergic Receptors in the Heart: Selective Agonism and ?-Blockade. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2017;69:71-78 pubmed publisher..In this regard, targeting of ?3ARs could represent a novel potential strategy to improve cardiac metabolism, function, and remodeling...
- Tchero H, Kangambega P, Lin L, Mukisi Mukaza M, Brunet Houdard S, Briatte C, et al. Cost of diabetic foot in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and United Kingdom: A systematic review. Ann Endocrinol (Paris). 2018;79:67-74 pubmed publisher..The E5 incurs a heavy cost from diabetic foot and its complications. There is an unmet need for the identification of cost-cutting strategies, as diabetic foot costs more than major cardiac diseases. ..
- Bonnemains L, Raimondi F, Odille F. Specifics of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in children. Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2016;109:143-9 pubmed publisher..In the second part of this review, we present the current and future practices of cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR) in children, based on the experience of all French paediatric cardiac MRI centres. ..
- Dong H, Jiang X, Peng M, Zou Y, Che W, Qian H, et al. The interval between carotid artery stenting and open heart surgery is related to perioperative complications. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;87 Suppl 1:564-9 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that CAS followed by OHS is safe and feasible. More importantly, an interval between CAS and OHS of >5 days may decrease periprocedural complications, especially major stroke and neurological death. ..
- Esposito S, Mayer A, Krzysztofiak A, Garazzino S, Lipreri R, Galli L, et al. Infective Endocarditis in Children in Italy from 2000 to 2015. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2016;14:353-8 pubmed publisher..In Italy, paediatric IE develops without any previous predisposing factors in a number of children, methicillin-resistant S. aureus has emerged as a common causative agent and the therapeutic approach is extremely variable. ..
- Dai M, Li K, Qian D, Lu J, Zou Y, Cao Y, et al. Evaluation of left atrial function by speckle tracking echocardiography in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus. 2016;25:496-504 pubmed publisher..The results from this study demonstrate that STE is capable of detecting various aspects of LA functional impairment during SLE progression, and should be further explored as a diagnostic tool for improving the outcomes of SLE patients. ..
- Mavrogeni S, Sfikakis P, Kitas G, Kolovou G, Tektonidou M. Cardiac involvement in antiphospholipid syndrome: The diagnostic role of noninvasive cardiac imaging. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016;45:611-6 pubmed publisher..The high incidence of cardiac involvement in APS demands early diagnosis/treatment and multimodality cardiovascular imaging is of great importance. ..
- Zhao X, Luo W, Hu J, Zuo L, Wang J, Hu R, et al. Cardiomyocyte-targeted and 17?-estradiol-loaded acoustic nanoprobes as a theranostic platform for cardiac hypertrophy. J Nanobiotechnology. 2018;16:36 pubmed publisher..Our novel theranostic nanoplatform could serve as a potential theranostic vector for cardiac diseases. ..
- Glukhov A, Balycheva M, Sanchez Alonso J, Ilkan Z, Alvarez Laviada A, Bhogal N, et al. Direct Evidence for Microdomain-Specific Localization and Remodeling of Functional L-Type Calcium Channels in Rat and Human Atrial Myocytes. Circulation. 2015;132:2372-84 pubmed publisher..We provide the first direct evidence for the existence of 2 distinct subpopulations of functional LTCCs in rat and human AMs, with their biophysical properties modulated in heart failure in a microdomain-specific manner. ..
- Liut F, Izzi C, Dallera N, Scolari F. [ADPKD and Heart]. G Ital Nefrol. 2017;34:119-130 pubmed..The antihypertensive agents of choice should be ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonists. In this review, we will focuses on the cardiovascular problems of patients with ADPKD. ..
- Hammond Haley M, Patel R, ProvidÃªncia R, Lambiase P. Exercise restrictions for patients with inherited cardiac conditions: Current guidelines, challenges and limitations. Int J Cardiol. 2016;209:234-41 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the risk of exercise-induced SCD in patients with inherited cardiac conditions, the current clinical guidelines in this area and the special consideration of patients with an ICD. ..
- Wang J, Aung L, Prabhakar B, Li P. The mitochondrial ubiquitin ligase plays an anti-apoptotic role in cardiomyocytes by regulating mitochondrial fission. J Cell Mol Med. 2016;20:2278-2288 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that MITOL plays a protective role against apoptosis in cardiomyocytes, and may serve as a potential therapeutic target for apoptosis-related cardiac diseases. ..
- Masumoto H, Yamashita J. Human iPS Cell-Derived Cardiac Tissue Sheets: a Platform for Cardiac Regeneration. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2016;18:65 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that the combination of pluripotent stem cell biology and tissue engineering will contribute to future stem cell therapies for severe heart diseases.
- Manji R, Arora R, Singal R, Hiebert B, Menkis A. Early Rehospitalization After Prolonged Intensive Care Unit Stay Post Cardiac Surgery: Outcomes and Modifiable Risk Factors. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Addressing modifiable risk factors including early postdischarge access to physician services, as well as access to mental health services may improve patient outcomes. ..
- Mytton O, Tainio M, Ogilvie D, Panter J, Cobiac L, Woodcock J. The modelled impact of increases in physical activity: the effect ofÂ both increased survival and reduced incidence of disease. Eur J Epidemiol. 2017;32:235-250 pubmed publisher..However, disease onset may be delayed or time lived with disease may increase, such that the decreases in need may be relatively small and less than is sometimes expected. ..
- Babua C, Kalyesubula R, Okello E, Kakande B, Sebatta E, Mungoma M, et al. Pattern and presentation of cardiac diseases among patients with chronic kidney disease attending a national referral hospital in Uganda: a cross sectional study. BMC Nephrol. 2015;16:126 pubmed publisher..Cardiac abnormalities are common in a predominantly young African population with CKD. Clinicians should routinely screen and manage cardiovascular disease in CKD patients. ..
- Suh Y, Han K, Chang S, Kim J, Im D, Hong Y, et al. SYNTAX score based on coronary computed tomography angiography may have a prognostic value in patients with complex coronary artery disease: An observational study from a retrospective cohort. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7999 pubmed publisher..2).On the basis of our results, CT-SYNTAX score can be a useful method for noninvasively predicting MACCEs in patients with complex CAD, especially in patients with LM disease. ..
- Suda M, Shimizu I, Yoshida Y, Hayashi Y, Ikegami R, Katsuumi G, et al. Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 ameliorates cardiac ischemia and systolic dysfunction by up-regulating the FGF-2/EGR-1 pathway. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182422 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pharmacological inhibition of DPP-4 suppressed capillary rarefaction and contributed to favorable remodeling of cardiac metabolism in mice with dietary obesity. ..
- Thorup C, Hansen J, Grønkjær M, Andreasen J, Nielsen G, Sørensen E, et al. Cardiac Patients' Walking Activity Determined by a Step Counter in Cardiac Telerehabilitation: Data From the Intervention Arm of a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Med Internet Res. 2016;18:e69 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01752192; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01752192 (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/6fgigfUyV). ..
- Westerman S, Wenger N. Women and heart disease, the underrecognized burden: sex differences, biases, and unmet clinical and research challenges. Clin Sci (Lond). 2016;130:551-63 pubmed publisher..Specific examples within the spectrum of heart disease will be discussed in this review paper, and areas for further research will be proposed. ..
- Machado I, Chong A, Serrano A, Naranjo Ugalde A, Pineda D, SavÃ³n L, et al. Epithelioid Hemangioma (Angiolymphoid Hyperplasia With Eosinophilia) of the Heart With Peripheral Eosinophilia and Nephrotic Syndrome. Int J Surg Pathol. 2016;24:59-65 pubmed publisher..EH and Kimura disease represent separate entities, but clinical and/or histological overlapping can be observed. Epithelioid/histiocytoid endothelial cells constitute the hallmark feature that favors a final diagnosis of EH. ..
- Inoue K, Suna S, Iwakura K, Oka T, Masuda M, Furukawa Y, et al. Outcomes for Atrial Fibrillation Patients with Silent Left Atrial Thrombi Detected by Transesophageal Echocardiography. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:940-946 pubmed publisher..Advanced age and HF were predictors for worse outcomes in AF patients with silent LA thrombi. ..
- Carrillo Larco R, Miranda J, Li X, Cui C, Xu X, Ali M, et al. Prevalence of Pragmatically Defined High CV Risk and its Correlates in LMIC: A Report From 10 LMIC Areas in Africa, Asia, and South America. Glob Heart. 2016;11:27-36 pubmed publisher..The prevalence of HCR in 10 LMIC areas was generally high. This study provides a starting point to define targeted populations that may benefit from interventions combining both primary and secondary prevention strategies. ..
- Huang Y, Liu T, Wang D, Wang X, Li R, Chen Y, et al. Calmodulin kinase II inhibitor regulates calcium homeostasis changes caused by acute Î²-adrenergic receptor agonist stimulation in mouse ventricular myocytes. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2016;52:156-62 pubmed publisher..5 Hz: p < 0.05, 1 Hz: p < 0.05). Therefore, changes of the calcium homeostasis in cardiomyocytes caused by ISO can be adjusted by KN-93, thus KN-93 plays a vital role in regulating calcium homeostasis changes caused by ISO. ..
- Lee M, Eum K, Rodrigues E, Magari S, Fang S, Modest G, et al. Effects of Personal Exposure to Ambient Fine Particulate Matter on Acute Change in Nocturnal Heart Rate Variability in Subjects Without Overt Heart Disease. Am J Cardiol. 2016;117:151-6 pubmed publisher..5 exposure occurred within the previous 2.5 hours, with the largest effects at 25 minutes, suggesting immediate cardiac autonomic effects of fine particulate exposure. ..
- Suveren E, Baxter G, Iskit A, Turker A. Cardioprotective effects of Viscum album L. subsp. album (European misletoe) leaf extracts in myocardial ischemia and reperfusion. J Ethnopharmacol. 2017;209:203-209 pubmed publisher..family and has been used in Turkish traditional medicine for the treatment of cardiovascular disorders and heart diseases such as hypertension, tachycardia and angina pectoris...
- Pogliacomi F, Pellegrini A, Tacci F, Pedrini M, Costantino C, Pedrazzini A, et al. Risks of subsequent contralateral fractures of the trochanteric region in elderly. Acta Biomed. 2017;87:275-281 pubmed..Physicians can do more in terms of prevention and strategies must consider these risk factors. ..