Summary: A spectrum of congenital, inherited, or acquired abnormalities in BLOOD VESSELS that can adversely affect the normal blood flow in ARTERIES or VEINS. Most are congenital defects such as abnormal communications between blood vessels (fistula), shunting of arterial blood directly into veins bypassing the CAPILLARIES (arteriovenous malformations), formation of large dilated blood blood-filled vessels (cavernous angioma), and swollen capillaries (capillary telangiectases). In rare cases, vascular malformations can result from trauma or diseases.
- Clarke N, Murthy R, Guleserian K. Persistent Left Superior Vena Cava: Incidence and Management in Patients Undergoing Repair of Partial Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:440-444 pubmed publisher..At our institution, we sought to find the incidence of a persistent left superior vena cava (PLSVC) in patients undergoing an operation for PAPVC...
- Jones T, Seckeler M. Use of 3D models of vascular rings and slings to improve resident education. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017;12:578-582 pubmed publisher..Future applications of this teaching modality could extend to other congenital cardiac lesions and different learners. ..
- da Silva Filho T, de Oliveira D, Brasil V, Nonaka C, da Silveira E, Queiroz L. An update of 77 cases diagnosed as oral hemangiomas based on GLUT-1 positivity. Exp Mol Pathol. 2017;103:9-13 pubmed publisher..0%) were reclassified as pyogenic granulomas (PGs) and 31 (40.2%) as vascular malformations. Considering the previously applied nomenclature, only 47...
- Giossi A, Mardighian D, Caria F, Poli L, De Giuli V, Costa P, et al. Arterial tortuosity in patients with spontaneous cervical artery dissection. Neuroradiology. 2017;59:571-575 pubmed publisher..This might have potential implications for better understanding of the pathophysiology of the disease as well as clinical utility in evaluation, prognostication, and decision-making of affected individuals. ..
- Harky A, Mohammad H, Garner M, Ali M, Alani M. Anomalous Right Internal Thoracic Artery Terminating in the Right Superior Pulmonary Vein. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104:e323-e324 pubmed publisher..We report the case of a right internal thoracic artery originating from the first part of the subclavian artery but terminating in the right superior pulmonary vein that presented during the third decade of life. ..
- Jensen D, Kovacs T, Ohning G, Ghassemi K, Machicado G, Dulai G, et al. Doppler Endoscopic Probe Monitoring of Blood Flow Improves Risk Stratification and Outcomes of Patients With Severe Nonvariceal Upper Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage. Gastroenterology. 2017;152:1310-1318.e1 pubmed publisher..Guidelines for nonvariceal gastrointestinal bleeding should incorporate these results. ClinicalTrials.gov no: NCT00732212 (CLIN-013-07F). ..
- Benzar I. A Diagnostic Program of Vascular Tumor and Vascular Malformations in Children According to Modern Classification. Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove). 2017;60:19-26 pubmed publisher..8%) patients, and biopsy was carried out in 2 (4.4%) children. Vascular malformations (VM) were diagnosed in 140 (68.3%) patients. Ultrasound investigation (US) was the screening method...
- Mhanna L, Noel Savina E, Pontier S, Jaffro M, Guibert N, Hermant C, et al. [Use of endobronchial ultrasound in the management of cryptogenic haemoptysis]. Rev Mal Respir. 2017;34:770-773 pubmed publisher..This case underlines the importance of bronchoscopy and the role of ultrasound in the diagnosis of haemoptysis, considered ideopathic, complicating vascular malformations.
- Sadick M, Dally F, Schönberg S, Stroszczynski C, Wohlgemuth W. Strategies in Interventional Radiology: Formation of an Interdisciplinary Center of Vascular Anomalies - Chances and Challenges for Effective and Efficient Patient Management. Rofo. 2017;189:957-966 pubmed publisher..Strategies in Interventional Radiology: Formation of an Interdisciplinary Center of Vascular Anomalies – Chances and Challenges for Effective and Efficient Patient Management. Fortschr Röntgenstr 2017; 189: 957?–?966. ..
- Peterman C, Vadeboncoeur S, Mulliken J, Fishman S, Liang M. Wilms tumor screening in diffuse capillary malformation with overgrowth and macrocephaly-capillary malformation: A retrospective study. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:874-878 pubmed publisherCLOVES (congenital lipomatous overgrowth, vascular malformations, epidermal nevi, and skeletal anomalies) syndrome is associated with regional bony and/or soft tissue overgrowth, capillary malformation, and an increased risk for Wilms ..
- Li H, Ma Z, Xie Y, Tian F. Recurrent Hyperammonemia After Abernethy Malformation Type 2 Closure: a Case Report. Ann Hepatol. 2017;16:460-464 pubmed publisher..This is the first reported patient with recurrence of hyperammonemia after interventional treatment; we discuss the therapeutic options for Abernethy malformation. ..
- Evans W, Acherman R, Ciccolo M, Carrillo S, Mayman G, Luna C, et al. Right aortic arch with situs solitus frequently heralds a vascular ring. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017;12:583-587 pubmed publisher..Further, to the best of our knowledge, no previous general population study has demonstrated an equal or higher right aortic arch, prenatal detection rate of 79%. ..
- Boscolo E, Limaye N, Huang L, Kang K, Soblet J, Uebelhoer M, et al. Rapamycin improves TIE2-mutated venous malformation in murine model and human subjects. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:3491-504 pubmed publisher..This study provides a VM model that allows evaluation of potential therapeutic strategies and demonstrates that rapamycin provides clinical improvement in patients with venous malformation. ..
- Lopez Gutierrez J, Redondo P, Ivars M. Fingertip Capillary Malformation and Associated Disorders: Report of 9 Cases. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..in themselves, they can occasionally be warning signs for syndromes with more serious or aggressive vascular malformations not readily apparent at birth or on initial examination...
- García Montero P, del Boz J, Sanchez Martínez M, Escudero Santos I, Baselga E. Microcystic Lymphatic Malformation Successfully Treated With Topical Rapamycin. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisherMicrocystic lymphatic malformations (MLM) are low-flow vascular malformations composed of multiple small cysts. MLM usually affect deep-lying structures, which makes their treatment even more difficult and complex...
- Gross R. Surgical relief for tracheal obstruction from a vascular ring. N Engl J Med. 1945;233:586-90 pubmed
- Heinke T, Stewart S, Steinberg T, Hand W, Abernathy J. Partial anomalous pulmonary venous return: Scimitar vein. Ann Card Anaesth. 2017;20:259-261 pubmed publisher..This case exemplifies the role of transesophageal echocardiography in perioperative management and surgical decision-making. ..
- Horbach S, Utami A, Meijer Jorna L, Sillevis Smitt J, Spuls P, van der Horst C, et al. Discrepancy between the clinical and histopathologic diagnosis of soft tissue vascular malformations. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:920-929.e1 pubmed publisherSoft tissue vascular malformations are generally diagnosed clinically, according to the International Society for the Study of Vascular Anomalies (ISSVA) classification. Diagnostic histopathologic examination is rarely performed...
- Ramji S, Touska P, Rich P, Mackinnon A. Normal neuroanatomical variants that may be misinterpreted as disease entities. Clin Radiol. 2017;72:810-825 pubmed publisher..This article outlines the embryology and development, the various imaging features as well as the clinical relevance and differential diagnoses of each normal neuroanatomical variant. ..
- Patira R, Kyper C, Shah P, Erkmen K. Bilateral persistent primitive hypoglossal arteries associated with unilateral symptomatic carotid thromboembolism. J Radiol Case Rep. 2017;11:1-9 pubmed publisher..Symptomatic carotid stenosis at the PHA take-off is typically treated with endovascular angioplasty and stenting due to the typically high level of the bifurcation in the neck. ..
- Arazińska A, Polguj M, Szymczyk K, Kaczmarska M, Trębiński Ł, Stefanczyk L. Right aortic arch analysis - Anatomical variant or serious vascular defect?. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017;17:102 pubmed publisher..Patients diagnosed with type II RAA should be examined with Doppler ultrasonography to identify coincident vascular disorders, especially stenosis of the common carotid arteries or subclavian arteries. ..
- Or M, Peremans K, Martlé V, Vandermeulen E, Bosmans T, Devriendt N, et al. Regional cerebral blood flow assessed by single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) in dogs with congenital portosystemic shunt and hepatic encephalopathy. Vet J. 2017;220:40-42 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that dogs with HE and PSS have altered perfusion of mainly the subcortical and the temporal regions of the brain. ..