Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological conditions involving the CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM including the HEART; the BLOOD VESSELS; or the PERICARDIUM.
- Maniecka Bryła I, Pikala M, Bryła M. Life years lost due to cardiovascular diseases. Kardiol Pol. 2013;71:1065-72 pubmed publisher..These unfavourable trends decelerated considerably after 2006. The highest decrease in life years lost for both sexes in 1999-2008 was noted for IHD. ..
- Lappenschaar M, Hommersom A, Lucas P, Lagro J, Visscher S, Korevaar J, et al. Multilevel temporal Bayesian networks can model longitudinal change in multimorbidity. J Clin Epidemiol. 2013;66:1405-16 pubmed publisher..In this study, multilevel temporal Bayesian networks were adopted to study the course of multimorbidity in the expectation that this would yield new clinical insight...
- Kingwell B, Chapman M, Kontush A, Miller N. HDL-targeted therapies: progress, failures and future. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2014;13:445-64 pubmed publisher..This article examines the HDL hypothesis in molecular and mechanistic terms, focusing on features that have been addressed, those that remain to be tested, and potential new targets for future pharmacological interventions. ..
- Fitch K, Srinivasa S, Abbara S, Burdo T, Williams K, Eneh P, et al. Noncalcified coronary atherosclerotic plaque and immune activation in HIV-infected women. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:1737-46 pubmed publisher..Little is known about coronary plaque in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected women...
- Cooper A, Brage S, Ekelund U, Wareham N, Griffin S, Simmons R. Association between objectively assessed sedentary time and physical activity with metabolic risk factors among people with recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2014;57:73-82 pubmed publisher..isrctn99175498. ..
- Loyer X, Vion A, Tedgui A, Boulanger C. Microvesicles as cell-cell messengers in cardiovascular diseases. Circ Res. 2014;114:345-53 pubmed publisher..Unraveling their mechanisms of action will likely open new therapeutic avenues. ..
- Scirica B, Bhatt D, Braunwald E, Steg P, Davidson J, Hirshberg B, et al. Saxagliptin and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:1317-26 pubmed publisher..Funded by AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb; SAVOR-TIMI 53 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01107886.). ..
- Sarajlić A, Janjić V, Stojković N, Radak D, Przulj N. Network topology reveals key cardiovascular disease genes. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71537 pubmed publisher..Even though cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are a major global cause of death, many CVD genes still await discovery...
- Yang Q, Zhang Z, Gregg E, Flanders W, Merritt R, Hu F. Added sugar intake and cardiovascular diseases mortality among US adults. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:516-24 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE Most US adults consume more added sugar than is recommended for a healthy diet. We observed a significant relationship between added sugar consumption and increased risk for CVD mortality. ..
- Lavie C, McAuley P, Church T, Milani R, Blair S. Obesity and cardiovascular diseases: implications regarding fitness, fatness, and severity in the obesity paradox. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:1345-54 pubmed publisher..Finally, in light of the obesity paradox, the potential value of purposeful weight loss and increased physical activity to affect levels of fitness is reviewed. ..
- Mills E, Thorlund K, Eapen S, Wu P, Prochaska J. Cardiovascular events associated with smoking cessation pharmacotherapies: a network meta-analysis. Circulation. 2014;129:28-41 pubmed publisher..34; 95% CI, 0.66-2.66) or nicotine replacement therapy (RR, 1.95; 95% CI, 0.26-4.30). Smoking cessation therapies do not appear to raise the risk of serious cardiovascular disease events. ..
- Muraleedharan V, Marsh H, Kapoor D, Channer K, Jones T. Testosterone deficiency is associated with increased risk of mortality and testosterone replacement improves survival in men with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Endocrinol. 2013;169:725-33 pubmed publisher..3 (95% CI 1.3-3.9, P=0.004). Low testosterone levels predict an increase in all-cause mortality during long-term follow-up. Testosterone replacement may improve survival in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Neal B, Perkovic V, de Zeeuw D, Mahaffey K, Fulcher G, Stein P, et al. Rationale, design, and baseline characteristics of the Canagliflozin Cardiovascular Assessment Study (CANVAS)--a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Am Heart J. 2013;166:217-223.e11 pubmed publisher..The planned second phase will not be undertaken. CANVAS will define the effects of canagliflozin on biomarkers and provide data on cardiovascular safety against established regulatory parameters. ..
- Fuchs S, Mello R, Fuchs F. Home blood pressure monitoring is better predictor of cardiovascular disease and target organ damage than office blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2013;15:413 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the results of our systematic review and meta-analysis confirm that HBPM is a better predictor of CV outcomes and target organ damage than OBP. ..
- Correia A, Peters J, Levy J, Melly S, Dominici F. Residential exposure to aircraft noise and hospital admissions for cardiovascular diseases: multi-airport retrospective study. BMJ. 2013;347:f5561 pubmed publisherTo investigate whether exposure to aircraft noise increases the risk of hospitalization for cardiovascular diseases in older people (? 65 years) residing near airports...
- Ben Shlomo Y, Spears M, Boustred C, May M, Anderson S, Benjamin E, et al. Aortic pulse wave velocity improves cardiovascular event prediction: an individual participant meta-analysis of prospective observational data from 17,635 subjects. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:636-46 pubmed publisher..aPWV may enable better identification of high-risk populations that might benefit from more aggressive CVD risk factor management. ..
- Rapsomaniki E, Timmis A, George J, Pujades Rodriguez M, Shah A, Denaxas S, et al. Blood pressure and incidence of twelve cardiovascular diseases: lifetime risks, healthy life-years lost, and age-specific associations in 1·25 million people. Lancet. 2014;383:1899-911 pubmed publisher..In this study, we aimed to analyse the associations of blood pressure with 12 different presentations of cardiovascular disease...
- Ohlow M, Brunelli M, Lauer B. Internet use in patients with cardiovascular diseases: Bad Berka Cross-Sectional Study (BABSY). Int J Clin Pract. 2013;67:990-5 pubmed publisher..We sought to investigate prevalence and usage patterns of Internet access among consecutive patients with cardiovascular diseases. A cross-sectional study was performed using a questionnaire as study tool...
- Dougados M, Soubrier M, Antunez A, Balint P, Balsa A, Buch M, et al. Prevalence of comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis and evaluation of their monitoring: results of an international, cross-sectional study (COMORA). Ann Rheum Dis. 2014;73:62-8 pubmed publisher..PATIENTS with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are at increased risk of developing comorbid conditions...
- Elnakish M, Hassanain H, Janssen P, Angelos M, Khan M. Emerging role of oxidative stress in metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular diseases: important role of Rac/NADPH oxidase. J Pathol. 2013;231:290-300 pubmed publisher..oxidative stress has been involved in different pathologies, including metabolic syndrome and numerous cardiovascular diseases. A major source of ROS involved in both metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular pathophysiology is the ..
- Bastien M, Poirier P, Lemieux I, Despres J. Overview of epidemiology and contribution of obesity to cardiovascular disease. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2014;56:369-81 pubmed publisher..Thus, the evidence reviewed in this paper suggests that adipose tissue quality/function is as important, if not more so, than its amount in determining the overall health and CV risks of overweight/obesity. ..
- Khera A, Everett B, Caulfield M, Hantash F, Wohlgemuth J, Ridker P, et al. Lipoprotein(a) concentrations, rosuvastatin therapy, and residual vascular risk: an analysis from the JUPITER Trial (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Rosuvastatin). Circulation. 2014;129:635-42 pubmed publisher..The magnitude of relative risk reduction with rosuvastatin was similar among participants with high or low Lp(a). http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00239681. ..
- Bao M, Feng X, Zhang Y, Lou X, Cheng Y, Zhou H. Let-7 in cardiovascular diseases, heart development and cardiovascular differentiation from stem cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:23086-102 pubmed publisher..Studies have revealed the aberrant expression of let-7 members in cardiovascular diseases, such as heart hypertrophy, cardiac fibrosis, dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), myocardial infarction (MI), ..
- Mora S, Glynn R, Ridker P. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol, size, particle number, and residual vascular risk after potent statin therapy. Circulation. 2013;128:1189-97 pubmed publisher..This has potential implications for evaluating novel therapies targeting HDL. http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT00239681. ..
- Stegemann C, Pechlaner R, Willeit P, Langley S, Mangino M, Mayr U, et al. Lipidomics profiling and risk of cardiovascular disease in the prospective population-based Bruneck study. Circulation. 2014;129:1821-31 pubmed publisher..Molecular lipid species constitute promising new biomarkers that outperform the conventional biochemical measurements of lipid classes currently used in clinics. ..
- Kavousi M, Leening M, Nanchen D, Greenland P, Graham I, Steyerberg E, et al. Comparison of application of the ACC/AHA guidelines, Adult Treatment Panel III guidelines, and European Society of Cardiology guidelines for cardiovascular disease prevention in a European cohort. JAMA. 2014;311:1416-23 pubmed publisher..All 3 risk models provided poor calibration and moderate to good discrimination. Improving risk predictions and setting appropriate population-wide thresholds are necessary to facilitate better clinical decision making. ..
- Condorelli G, Latronico M, Cavarretta E. microRNAs in cardiovascular diseases: current knowledge and the road ahead. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014;63:2177-87 pubmed publisher..inflammatory cells, and fibroblasts) and, thus, are directly involved in the pathophysiology of many cardiovascular diseases. As a result of their role in disease, they are being studied for exploitation in diagnostics, ..
- Yates T, Haffner S, Schulte P, Thomas L, Huffman K, Bales C, et al. Association between change in daily ambulatory activity and cardiovascular events in people with impaired glucose tolerance (NAVIGATOR trial): a cohort analysis. Lancet. 2014;383:1059-66 pubmed publisher..Novartis Pharmaceuticals. ..
- Singh G, Danaei G, Farzadfar F, Stevens G, Woodward M, Wormser D, et al. The age-specific quantitative effects of metabolic risk factors on cardiovascular diseases and diabetes: a pooled analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65174 pubmed publisher..serum total cholesterol (TC), fasting plasma glucose (FPG), and body mass index (BMI) on the risk of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) have been established in epidemiological studies, but consistent estimates of effect sizes by age ..
- White W, Cannon C, Heller S, Nissen S, Bergenstal R, Bakris G, et al. Alogliptin after acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:1327-35 pubmed publisher..Funded by Takeda Development Center Americas; EXAMINE ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00968708.). ..
- Malerba S, Turati F, Galeone C, Pelucchi C, Verga F, La Vecchia C, et al. A meta-analysis of prospective studies of coffee consumption and mortality for all causes, cancers and cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Epidemiol. 2013;28:527-39 pubmed publisher..70-1.29, 6 studies) for stroke, and 1.03 (95 % CI 0.97-1.10, 10 studies) for all cancers. This meta-analysis provides quantitative evidence that coffee intake is inversely related to all cause and, probably, CVD mortality. ..
- Hansell A, Blangiardo M, Fortunato L, Floud S, de Hoogh K, Fecht D, et al. Aircraft noise and cardiovascular disease near Heathrow airport in London: small area study. BMJ. 2013;347:f5432 pubmed publisher..As well as the possibility of causal associations, alternative explanations such as residual confounding and potential for ecological bias should be considered. ..
- Gustafson D, Veitch S, Fish J. Extracellular Vesicles as Protagonists of Diabetic Cardiovascular Pathology. Front Cardiovasc Med. 2017;4:71 pubmed publisher..EVs also actively contribute to the progression of various cardiovascular diseases, including diabetes-related vascular disease...
- Wu X, Yan M, Liu T, Liao J, Zhang J, Chen S, et al. Fucoidan elevates surface organic cation transporter 2 expression via upregulation of protein kinase A in uric acid nephropathy. Exp Ther Med. 2017;14:4153-4159 pubmed publisher..uric acid, and is a key risk factor for uric acid nephrolithiasis, gouty arthritis, renal diseases and cardiovascular diseases. The present study aimed to evaluate the protective effect of fucoidan, a sulfated polysaccharide ..
- Lenighan Y, Nugent A, Li K, Brennan L, Walton J, Flynn A, et al. Processed red meat contribution to dietary patterns and the associated cardio-metabolic outcomes. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:222-228 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the consideration of processed red meat consumption as a risk factor for CVD and T2D may need to be re-assessed. ..
- Moura L, de Almeida A, da Silva A, de Souza V, Ferreira V, Menezes M, et al. Synthesis, Anticlotting and Antiplatelet Effects of 1,2,3-Triazoles Derivatives. Med Chem. 2016;12:733-741 pubmedb>Cardiovascular diseases, such as thrombosis and stroke, represent the major cause of disability and death worldwide; and dysfunctions in platelet aggregation and blood coagulation processes are involved...
- KrÃ³liczewska B, MiÅ›ta D, KrÃ³liczewski J, Zawadzki W, Kubaszewski R, Wincewicz E, et al. A new genotype of flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) with decreased susceptibility to fat oxidation: consequences to hematological and biochemical profiles of blood indices. J Sci Food Agric. 2017;97:165-171 pubmed publisher..modified type of flaxseed in the diet altered cholesterol metabolism and could reduce the possibility of cardiovascular diseases. Diet enrichment with W92 flaxseed may be a solution to the health issues that are a result of improper ..
- Zhou L, Irani S, Sirwi A, Hussain M. MicroRNAs regulating apolipoprotein B-containing lipoprotein production. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1861:2062-2068 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will briefly highlight the potential use of each miR as a therapeutic drug for treating cardiovascular diseases. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: MicroRNAs and lipid/energy metabolism and related ..
- Massa K, Pabayo R, Lebrão M, Chiavegatto Filho A. Environmental factors and cardiovascular diseases: the association of income inequality and green spaces in elderly residents of São Paulo, Brazil. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e011850 pubmed publisherWe aimed to analyse the individual and contextual determinants associated with cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) morbidity among the elderly...
- Traboulsi H, Guerrina N, Iu M, Maysinger D, Ariya P, Baglole C. Inhaled Pollutants: The Molecular Scene behind Respiratory and Systemic Diseases Associated with Ultrafine Particulate Matter. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..dangerous to human health and may contribute significantly to the development of numerous respiratory and cardiovascular diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and atherosclerosis...
- Roohbakhsh A, Karimi G, Iranshahi M. Carotenoids in the treatment of diabetes mellitus and its complications: A mechanistic review. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017;91:31-42 pubmed publisher..protective effects against diabetes mellitus (DM), cancer, and neurodegenerative, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases. However, recent studies including clinical evidences, have shown that carotenoids play a role in the ..
- Morra S, Roubille F. Obstructive sleep apnoea: from respiratory events to coronary microvascular dysfunction. Acta Cardiol. 2017;:1-6 pubmed publisherObstructive sleep apnoea (OSA) is an emerging and independent risk factor for cardiovascular diseases; coronary artery disease (CAD) is higher in OSA patients, even in the absence of other traditional cardiovascular risk factors...
- Wu J, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Zeng Y, Zhang L, Zhao X. Anticoagulant and FGF/FGFR signal activating activities of the heparinoid propylene glycol alginate sodium sulfate and its oligosaccharides. Carbohydr Polym. 2016;136:641-8 pubmed publisher..alginate sodium sulfate (PSS), prepared by chemical sulfation of alginate, has been used for treating cardiovascular diseases in China for nearly 30 years...
- Sengupta P, Das A, Ibrahim F, Mandal U, Chatterjee B, Mahmood S, et al. Safety profiling of pioglitazone and telmisartan combination by sub-chronic toxicity study in rat. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;81:155-161 pubmed publisherIt has been reported that the major cause of mortality in diabetes is cardiovascular diseases and contribution of hypertension is significant in this context...
- Kwon H. Vitamin D receptor signaling is required for heart development in zebrafish embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;470:575-578 pubmed publisherVitamin D has been found to be associated with cardiovascular diseases. However, the role of vitamin D in heart development during embryonic period is largely unknown...
- Svihrova V, Barakova A, Szaboova V, Kamensky G, Hudeckova H. Trends in standardized mortality rates for select groups of cardiovascular diseases in Slovakia between 1980 and 2010. Public Health. 2016;130:43-50 pubmed publisherReducing mortality due to cardiovascular diseases especially in people less than 65 years is one of the main targets of WHO preventive programs. This work aimed to analyse recent trends in cardiovascular mortality rates in Slovakia...