Genomes and Genes
Summary: Water in its gaseous state. (From McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 6th ed)
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of inhibitors released during steam-explosion treatment of poplar wood on subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis and SSFMaria Cantarella
Department of Chemistry, Chemical Engineering and Materials, University of L Aquila, Monteluco di Roio, 67040 L Aquila, Italy
Biotechnol Prog 20:200-6. 2004b>Steam-exploded (SE) poplar wood biomass was hydrolyzed by means of a blend of Celluclast and Novozym cellulase complexes in the presence of the inhibiting compounds produced during the preceding steam-explosion pretreatment process...
- Adsorption of Trichoderma reesei CBH I and EG II and their catalytic domains on steam pretreated softwood and isolated ligninHetti Palonen
VTT Biotechnology, P O Box 1500, FIN 02044 VTT, Espoo, Finland
J Biotechnol 107:65-72. 2004..of two purified cellulases from Trichoderma reesei, CBH I (Cel7A) and EG II (Cel5A) and their catalytic domains on steam pretreated softwood (SPS) and lignin using tritium labeled enzymes...
- Comparison of SHF and SSF processes from steam-exploded wheat straw for ethanol production by xylose-fermenting and robust glucose-fermenting Saccharomyces cerevisiae strainsElia Tomás-Pejó
CIEMAT Renewable Energies Division, Av Complutense 22, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Biotechnol Bioeng 100:1122-31. 2008In this study, bioethanol production from steam-exploded wheat straw using different process configurations was evaluated using two Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains, F12 and Red Star...
- The lignin present in steam pretreated softwood binds enzymes and limits cellulose accessibilityLinoj Kumar
Forest Products Biotechnology Bio energy Research Group, Forest Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6T1Z4
Bioresour Technol 103:201-8. 2012The influence of cellulose accessibility and protein loading on the efficiency of enzymatic hydrolysis of steam pretreated Douglas-fir was assessed...
- Can the same steam pretreatment conditions be used for most softwoods to achieve good, enzymatic hydrolysis and sugar yields?Linoj Kumar
Forest Products Biotechnology Bioenergy Group, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Bioresour Technol 101:7827-33. 2010Wood chips from six different Douglas-fir trees and a representative Lodgepole pine were steam pretreated at a single pretreatment condition (200 °C 4% SO₂ 5 min) which had previously been shown to be effective for Spruce and ..
- Growth-inhibiting effects of Paeonia lactiflora root steam distillate constituents and structurally related compounds on human intestinal bacteriaLuong Thi My Ngan
Interdisciplinary Programme in Agriculture Biotechnology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 921, Republic of Korea
World J Microbiol Biotechnol 28:1575-83. 2012The growth-inhibiting activities of Paeonia lactiflora (Paeoniaceae) root steam distillate constituents and structurally related compounds against nine harmful intestinal bacteria and eight lactic acid-producing bacteria were compared ..
- Does densification influence the steam pretreatment and enzymatic hydrolysis of softwoods to sugars?Linoj Kumar
Forest Products Biotechnology Bioenergy, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Bioresour Technol 121:190-8. 2012..However, when softwood chips and pellets were steam pretreated at medium severity, little hemicellulose loss occurred while more than two-thirds of the cellulose ..
- A real explosion: the requirement of steam explosion pretreatmentZhengdao Yu
College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou 450002, China
Bioresour Technol 121:335-41. 2012The severity factor is a common term used in steam explosion (SE) pretreatment that describes the combined effects of the temperature and duration of the pretreatment. However, it ignores the duration of the explosion process...
- Volatiles profiling in medicinal licorice roots using steam distillation and solid-phase microextraction (SPME) coupled to chemometricsMohamed A Farag
Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry, Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Weinberg 3, D 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
J Food Sci 77:C1179-84. 2012..glabra, G. inflata, and G. echinata roots were profiled using steam distillation and solid-phase microextraction...
- Optimization of steam pretreatment of SO2-impregnated corn stover for fuel ethanol productionKarin Ohgren
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 121:1055-67. 2005In this study, corn stover with a dry matter content of 20% was impregnated with SO2 and then steam pretreated for various times at various temperatures...
- Simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of steam-pretreated bagasse using Saccharomyces cerevisiae TMB3400 and Pichia stipitis CBS6054Andreas Rudolf
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Biotechnol Bioeng 99:783-90. 2008..In the current study, ethanolic fermentation of steam-pretreated sugarcane bagasse was assessed in a simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) set-up using ..
- Laccase detoxification of steam-exploded wheat straw for second generation bioethanolMiguel Jurado
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, Line of Environmental Biology, CSIC, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
Bioresour Technol 100:6378-84. 2009In this work we compared the efficiency of a laccase treatment performed on steam-exploded wheat straw pretreated under soft conditions (water impregnation) or harsh conditions (impregnation with diluted acid)...
- Burns caused by steam inhalation for respiratory tract infections in childrenSiun M Murphy
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Our Lady s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Republic of Ireland
BMJ 328:757. 2004
- The effect of steam flaked or dry ground corn and supplemental phytic acid on nitrogen partitioning in lactating cows and ammonia emission from manureK M Burkholder
Department of Dairy Science, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, USA
J Dairy Sci 87:2546-53. 2004..2% crude protein, and 31% neutral detergent fiber and included dry ground corn (DG) or steam flaked corn (SF) with no supplemental P (L; 0.34% P) or supplemental purified PA (0...
- Superheated steam pyrolysis of biomass elemental components and Sugi (Japanese cedar) for fuels and chemicalsMasaki Sagehashi
Institute of Industrial Science, University of Tokyo, 4 6 1, Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153 8505, Japan
Bioresour Technol 97:1272-83. 2006To develop a novel noncatalytic biomass refinery process that can be used as a portable process, superheated steam pyrolysis was investigated to produce both carbonized solid fuels and chemicals using a large-scale reactor...
- Lignin depolymerization/repolymerization and its critical role for delignification of aspen wood by steam explosionJiebing Li
Department of Fiber and Polymer Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 98:3061-8. 2007b>Steam explosion is an important process for the fractionation of biomass components...
- Separation and identification of volatile constituents in Artemisia argyi flowers by GC-MS with SPME and steam distillationNing Li
Department of Chemistry, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
J Chromatogr Sci 46:401-5. 2008..At the same time, in order to compare with the SPME, steam distillation is used for analysis of the volatile constituents in the flowers, and forty-seven are detected...
- Effects of gasifying conditions and bed materials on fluidized bed steam gasification of wood biomassPiyarat Weerachanchai
School of Chemical Engineering, Suranaree University of Technology, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
Bioresour Technol 100:1419-27. 2009The effect of steam gasification conditions on products properties was investigated in a bubbling fluidized bed reactor, using larch wood as the starting material...
- Hydrolysis of cellulose derived from steam exploded bagasse by Penicillium cellulases: comparison with commercial cellulaseRajkumar Singh
Biochemical Sciences Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune 411008, India
Bioresour Technol 100:6679-81. 2009A complete cellulase from Penicillium pinophilum was evaluated for the hydrolysis of alpha-cellulose derived from steam exploded sugarcane bagasse and other cellulosic substrates...
- Allothermal steam gasification of biomass in cyclic multi-compartment bubbling fluidized-bed gasifier/combustor - new reactor conceptIon Iliuta
Department of Chemical Engineering, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 0A6
Bioresour Technol 101:3194-208. 2010A new reactor concept of allothermal cyclic multi-compartment fluidized bed steam biomass gasification is proposed and analyzed numerically. The concept combines space and time delocalization to approach an ideal allothermal gasifier...
- Enhancement of tensile strength of lignocellulosic jute fibers by alkali-steam treatmentProsenjit Saha
Materials Science Centre, IIT Kharagpur, WB 721302, India
Bioresour Technol 101:3182-7. 2010..To the knowledge of these authors the influence of alkali-steam treatment on the uniaxial tensile strength of natural ligno-cellulosic fibers, such as jute, has not been ..
- Evaluation of hemicellulose removal by xylanase and delignification on SHF and SSF for bioethanol production with steam-pretreated substratesFei Shen
Provincial Key Laboratory of Agricultural Environmental Engineering, Sichuan Agricultural University Chengdu Campus, Chengdu, Sichuan, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:8945-51. 2011b>Steam-pretreated sweet sorghum bagasse (SSB) and Douglas-fir (DF) were employed for SHF and SSF to evaluate the effects of xylanase supplementation and delignification on ethanol production...
- Effect of steam explosion and microbial fermentation on cellulose and lignin degradation of corn stoverJuan Chang
College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Henan Agricultural University, 95 Wenhua Road, Zhengzhou 450002, China
Bioresour Technol 104:587-92. 2012In order to increase nutrient values of corn stover, effects of steam explosion (2.5 MPa, 200 s) and Aspergillus oryzae (A. oryzae) fermentation on cellulose and lignin degradation were studied...
- Effects of steam explosion and co-digestion in the methane production from Salix by mesophilic batch assaysMaria M Estevez
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P O Box 5003, 1432 As, Norway
Bioresour Technol 104:749-56. 2012Salix that was steam exploded at different conditions of temperature and time was anaerobically digested in a series of batch tests...
- Steam sauna and mother roasting in Lao PDR: practices and chemical constituents of essential oils of plant species used in postpartum recoveryHugo J de Boer
Department of Systematic Biology, Uppsala University, Norbyvagen 18D, SE 75236 Uppsala, Sweden
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:128. 2011Fundamental in traditional postpartum recovery in Lao PDR is the use of hotbeds, mother roasting, steam sauna and steam baths...
- Effect of acid, steam explosion, and size reduction pretreatments on bio-oil production from sweetgum, switchgrass, and corn stoverHui Wang
Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University, MS State, MS 39762, USA
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 167:285-97. 2012..In this study, we evaluated dilute acid, steam explosion, and size reduction pretreatments on sweetgum, switchgrass, and corn stover feedstocks...
- Cascade control of superheated steam temperature with neuro-PID controllerJianhua Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Alternate Electrical Power System with Renewable Energy Sources, North China Electric Power University, Beijing 102206, China
ISA Trans 51:778-85. 2012..squared error criterion, the proposed neuro-PID controller using minimizing error entropy criterion may decrease fluctuations of the superheated steam temperature. A simulation example shows the advantages of the proposed method.
- Effect of different steam explosion conditions on methane potential and enzymatic saccharification of birchVivekanand Vivekanand
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, PO Box 5003, N 1432 Ås, Norway
Bioresour Technol 127:343-9. 2013Birch (Betula pubescens) was steam exploded at 13 different conditions with temperatures ranging from 170 to 230 °C and residence times ranging from 5 to 15 min...
- Improving the fermentation performance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by laccase during ethanol production from steam-exploded wheat straw at high-substrate loadingsPablo Alvira
CIEMAT, Renewable Energy Div, Biofuels Unit, Madrid 28040, Spain
Biotechnol Prog 29:74-82. 2013..Water-insoluble solids fraction from steam-exploded wheat straw was used as substrate and Saccharomyces cerevisiae as fermenting microorganism...
- Comparing cell viability and ethanol fermentation of the thermotolerant yeast Kluyveromyces marxianus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae on steam-exploded biomass treated with laccaseAntonio D Moreno
IMDEA Energía, Biotechnological Processes for Energy Production Unit, Mostoles, Madrid 28935, Spain
Bioresour Technol 135:239-45. 2013..For it, whole slurry from steam-exploded wheat straw was used as raw material, and two process configurations, simultaneous saccharification and ..
- Compact solar autoclave based on steam generation using broadband light-harvesting nanoparticlesOara Neumann
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Laboratory for Nanophotonics, Rice Quantum Institute, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:11677-81. 2013..the use of broadband light-absorbing nanoparticles as solar photothermal heaters, which generate high-temperature steam for a standalone, efficient solar autoclave useful for sanitation of instruments or materials in resource-limited, ..
- Steam-air fluidized bed gasification of distillers grains: Effects of steam to biomass ratio, equivalence ratio and gasification temperatureAjay Kumar
Industrial Agricultural Products Center, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA
Bioresour Technol 100:2062-8. 2009In this study, thermochemical biomass gasification was performed on a bench-scale fluidized-bed gasifier with steam and air as fluidizing and oxidizing agents...
- Hydrogen-rich gas production by steam gasification of char from biomass fast pyrolysis in a fixed-bed reactor: influence of temperature and steam on hydrogen yield and syngas compositionFeng Yan
School of Environmental Science and Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, PR China
Bioresour Technol 101:5633-7. 2010b>Steam gasification experiments of biomass char were carried out in a fixed-bed reactor. The experiments were completed at bed temperature of 600-850 degrees C, a steam flow rate of 0-0...
- Pretreatment efficiency and structural characterization of rice straw by an integrated process of dilute-acid and steam explosion for bioethanol productionWen Hua Chen
Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, Atomic Energy Committee, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Bioresour Technol 102:2916-24. 2011The combined pretreatment of rice straw using dilute-acid and steam explosion followed by enzymatic hydrolysis was investigated and compared with acid-catalyzed steam explosion pretreatment...
- Adsorption of pharmaceuticals to microporous activated carbon treated with potassium hydroxide, carbon dioxide, and steamHeyun Fu
Nanjing University, Jiangsu, China
J Environ Qual 40:1886-94. 2011..and tylosin to a commercial microporous activated carbon (AC) and its potassium hydroxide (KOH)-, CO-, and steam-treated counterparts (prepared by heating at 850°C) was studied to explore efficient adsorbents for the removal ..
- Evaluation of aerated steam treatment of alfalfa and mung bean seeds to eliminate high levels of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and O178:H12, Salmonella enterica, and Listeria monocytogenesPatrick Studer
Research Station Agroscope Changins Wädenswil, Wädenswil, Switzerland
Appl Environ Microbiol 79:4613-9. 2013..We have investigated the potential of hot humid air, i.e., aerated steam, to treat alfalfa and mung bean seeds which have been artificially contaminated with Escherichia coli O157:H7, ..
- Modification of oil palm mesocarp fiber characteristics using superheated steam treatmentNoor Ida Amalina Ahamad Nordin
Department of Bioprocess Technology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang 43400 UPM, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 18:9132-46. 2013In this study, oil palm mesocarp fiber (OPMF) was treated with superheated steam (SHS) in order to modify its characteristics for biocomposite applications. Treatment was conducted at temperatures 190-230 °C for 1, 2 and 3 h...
- Combined steam and ultrasound treatment of broilers at slaughter: a promising intervention to significantly reduce numbers of naturally occurring campylobacters on carcassesHanieh S Musavian
SonoSteam, FORCE Technology, Park Allé 345, 2605 Brøndby, Denmark Electronic address
Int J Food Microbiol 176:23-8. 2014b>Steam or hot water decontamination treatment of broiler carcasses is hampered by process limitations due to prolonged treatment times and adverse changes to the epidermis...
- Cellulase production of Trichoderma reesei Rut C 30 using steam-pretreated spruce. Hydrolytic potential of cellulases on different substratesZ Szengyel
Department of Chemical Engineering I, Lund University, Sweden
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 84:679-91. 2000..production of a filamentous fungi, Trichoderma reesei Rut C 30, was examined on carbon sources obtained after steam pretreatment of spruce...
- Steam pressure disruption of municipal solid waste enhances anaerobic digestion kinetics and biogas yieldH W Liu
Eastern Power Limited Subbor, Suite 100, 304 The East Mall, Toronto, Ontario, M9B 6E2, Canada
Biotechnol Bioeng 77:121-30. 2002..We investigated and developed steam pressure disruption as a treatment step to render lignocellulosic-rich biomass more digestible and as a means for ..
- Degradation of volatile hydrocarbons from steam-classified solid waste by a mixture of aromatic hydrocarbon-degrading bacteriaJoseph G Leahy
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL 35899, USA
Biotechnol Lett 25:479-83. 2003b>Steam classification is a process for treatment of solid waste that allows recovery of volatile organic compounds from the waste via steam condensate and off-gases...
- Extrinsic allergic alveolitis (hypersensitivity pneumonitis) caused by Sphingobacterium spiritivorum from the water reservoir of a steam ironPeter Kampfer
Institut fur Angewandte Mikrobiologie, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 43:4908-10. 2005..The symptoms were associated with the use of a steam iron. The water reservoir was heavily contaminated with S. spiritivorum (10(6) CFU ml(-1))...
- Simultaneous saccharification and co-fermentation of glucose and xylose in steam-pretreated corn stover at high fiber content with Saccharomyces cerevisiae TMB3400Karin Ohgren
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
J Biotechnol 126:488-98. 2006..The ethanol productivity increased with increasing concentration of pretreatment hydrolysate in the yeast production medium and when SSF was performed in a fed-batch mode...
- Evaluation of steam sterilization processes: comparing calculations using temperature data and biointegrator reduction data and calculation of theoretical temperature differenceGunnel Lundahl
Microbiology, Quality Control, AstraZeneca, SE 15185 Sodertalje, Sweden
PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 61:1-16. 2007..Appropriate safety margins have to be chosen in the development phase of a sterilization process to achieve acceptable safety limits. Case studies are discussed and experiences are shared...
- Effect of steam explosion on biodegradation of lignin in wheat strawLian Hui Zhang
College of Engineering, China Agricultural University, 17 Qinghua Donglu, Beijing 100083, China
Bioresour Technol 99:8512-5. 2008The effect of steam explosion pretreatment on biodegradation of lignin in wheat straw was studied in this paper. Through experiments and analysis, 0...
- Improved microwave steam distillation apparatus for isolation of essential oils. Comparison with conventional steam distillationNaima Sahraoui
Ecole Nationale Polytechnique, Departement de Genie Chimique, El Harrach, 16200 Alger, Algeria
J Chromatogr A 1210:229-33. 2008b>Steam distillation (SD) is routinely used by analysts for the isolation of essential oils from herbs, flowers and spices prior to gas chromatographic analysis...
- Steam explosion lignins; their extraction, structure and potential as feedstock for biodiesel and chemicalsJiebing Li
Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, KTH, Teknikringen 56 58, SE 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 100:2556-61. 2009In the present study, a steam explosion wood pre-treatment process, optimized earlier with respect to ethanol production, has been applied to both softwoods (Picea abies and Pinus sylvestris) and hardwoods (Betula verrucosa and Populus ..
- Analysis of methane potentials of steam-exploded wheat straw and estimation of energy yields of combined ethanol and methane productionAlexander Bauer
Department of Sustainable Agricultural Systems, Division of Agricultural Engineering, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Peter Jordan Strasse 82, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
J Biotechnol 142:50-5. 2009..This publication aims at optimising the methane production from steam-exploded wheat straw and presents a theoretical estimation of the ethanol and methane potential of straw...
- Steam reforming of crude glycerol with in situ CO(2) sorptionBinlin Dou
School of Process, Environmental and Materials Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Bioresour Technol 101:2436-42. 2010b>Steam reforming of the crude glycerol by-product of a biodiesel production plant has been evaluated experimentally at atmospheric pressure, with and without in situ CO(2) sorption, in a continuous flow fixed-bed reactor between 400 ..
- Effects of a heat- and steam-generating sheet on relieving symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea in young womenTakayoshi Hosono
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Osaka Electro Communication University, Shijonawate, Osaka, Japan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 36:818-24. 2010To test the efficacy of heat- and steam-generating (HSG) sheets for the relief of symptoms of primary dysmenorrhea in young women.
- Improved bio-energy yields via sequential ethanol fermentation and biogas digestion of steam exploded oat strawDebebe Yilma Dererie
Department of Molecular Biology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 590, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 102:4449-55. 2011..A detailed mass balance calculation shows that, for steam explosion pretreatment, this combined ethanol fermentation and biogas digestion converts 85-87% of the higher ..
- Fast and efficient alkaline peroxide treatment to enhance the enzymatic digestibility of steam-exploded softwood substratesBin Yang
Faculty of Forestry, Forest Products Biotechnology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Biotechnol Bioeng 77:678-84. 2002The enzymatic digestibility of steam-exploded Douglas-fir wood chips (steam exploded at 195 degrees C, 4.5 min, and 4.5% (w/w) SO(2)) was significantly improved using an optimized alkaline peroxide treatment...
- Improved dissolution behaviour of steam-granulated piroxicamCristina Cavallari
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 54:65-73. 2002..5 molar ratio), obtained by steam-aided granulation, using a one-step rotogranulator, Rotolab...
- Monitoring of steam sterilization process by biologic indicators--a necessary surveillance toolUday Kelkar
Am J Infect Control 32:512-3. 2004
- Review of surface steam sterilization for validation purposesJoost van Doornmalen
Department of Validation and Monitoring, Bureau Veritas, Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Am J Infect Control 36:86-92. 2008..b>Steam sterilization is the most frequently applied sterilization method worldwide and can be validated either by ..
- Halophilic Archaea determined from geothermal steam vent aerosolsDean G Ellis
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, USA
Environ Microbiol 10:1582-90. 2008..ecology of fumaroles largely because of the difficulty in collecting sufficient numbers of cells from boiling steam water for DNA extraction and culture isolation...
- Reduction in infection risk through treatment of microbially contaminated surfaces with a novel, portable, saturated steam vapor disinfection systemBenjamin D Tanner
Antimicrobial Test Laboratories, LLC, Round Rock, TX 78665, USA
Am J Infect Control 37:20-7. 2009..This study set out to determine the capability of a novel chemical-free, saturated steam vapor disinfection system to kill microorganisms, reduce surface-mediated infection risks, and serve as an ..
- Chemical compositions and antioxidant/anti-inflammatory activities of steam distillate from freeze-dried onion ( Allium cepa L.) sproutMizuho Takahashi
Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, California 95616
J Agric Food Chem 56:10462-7. 2008Freeze-dried onion sprout was steam-distilled, and the distillate was extracted with dichloromethane (volatile sample). Water sample I was obtained from the residual aqueous solution in the extractor...
- Proof-of-principle study of steam ablation as novel thermal therapy for saphenous varicose veinsRenate R van den Bos
Department of Dermatology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Vasc Surg 53:181-6. 2011..The newest method of thermal ablation is pulsated steam, which works by heating the vein with steam at 120°C...
- Bioconversion of industrial hemp to ethanol and methane: the benefits of steam pretreatment and co-productionEmma Kreuger
Department of Biotechnology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 102:3457-65. 2011..b>Steam pretreatment improved the methane production rate compared with mechanical grinding...
- Lignin changes after steam explosion and laccase-mediator treatment of eucalyptus wood chipsRaquel Martin-Sampedro
Laboratorios de Celulosa y Papel, Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria INIA, Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 59:8761-9. 2011Eucalyptus globulus chips were steam exploded followed by treatment with a laccase-mediator system (LMS) under different experimental conditions. Removal of hemicelluloses and, to a lesser extent, lignin was observed...
- The adsorption and enzyme activity profiles of specific Trichoderma reesei cellulase/xylanase components when hydrolyzing steam pretreated corn stoverAmadeus Pribowo
Forest Products Biotechnology Bioenergy Group, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T1Z4
Enzyme Microb Technol 50:195-203. 2012..of individual Trichoderma reesei enzymes present in a commercial cellulase mixture during the hydrolysis of steam-pretreated corn stover (SPCS)...
- Cellulose accessibility determines the rate of enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-pretreated spruceMagnus Wiman
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, PO Box 124, 22100 Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 126:208-15. 2012Spruce chips steam-pretreated at various conditions, according to a central composite design, were used for investigating the influence of pretreatment conditions on enzymatic hydrolysis, accounting for the individual effects of ..
- Shapability, memory, and luminal changes in microcatheters after steam shaping: a comparison of 11 different microcathetersHiro Kiyosue
Department of Radiology, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Hasama, Oita, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:2610-6. 2005..The purpose of this study was to compare the characteristics of shaped microcatheters, including shapability, durability, and luminal changes...
- Cellulase deactivation based kinetic modeling of enzymatic hydrolysis of steam-exploded wheat strawYu Zhang
Key Laboratory of Renewable Energy and Gas Hydrate, Guangzhou Institute of Energy Conversion, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, PR China
Bioresour Technol 101:8261-6. 2010..The two models are compared according to analysis of experimental data from enzymatic hydrolysis steam-exploded wheat straw. Both simulation and prediction results show Eq. (8) has much higher accuracy than Eq. (5)...
- Single cell oil production in solid-state fermentation by Microsphaeropsis sp. from steam-exploded wheat straw mixed with wheat branXiaowei Peng
State Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, PR China
Bioresour Technol 99:3885-9. 2008Microsphaeropsis sp. was used to produce SCO in solid-state fermentation (SSF) from a substrate consisting of steam-exploded wheat straw (SEWS) and wheat bran (WB)...
- Effect of endoxylanase and α-L-arabinofuranosidase supplementation on the enzymatic hydrolysis of steam exploded wheat strawP Alvira
CIEMAT Renewable Energies Division, Biofuels Unit, Av Complutense 22, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Bioresour Technol 102:4552-8. 2011..The aim of this work was to evaluate the effect of two recombinant hemicellulolytic enzymes on the EH of steam pretreated wheat straw...
- SO2-catalyzed steam explosion of corn fiber for ethanol productionRenata Bura
Forest Products Biotechnology, Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98:59-72. 2002..In this study, we used a batch reactor to steam explode corn fiber at various degrees of severity to evaluate the potential of using this feedstock in the ..
- Steam pretreatment of H(2)SO(4)-impregnated Salix for the production of bioethanolPer Sassner
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Bioresour Technol 99:137-45. 2008..In this study, steam pretreatment of fast-growing Salix impregnated with sulfuric acid has been investigated by varying the temperature ..
- A feasibility and safety study of bronchoscopic thermal vapor ablation: a novel emphysema therapyGregory I Snell
Alfred Hospital and Monash University, Melbourne, NSW 3004, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1993-8. 2009..This study reports the feasibility and safety of novel second-generation bronchoscopic lung volume reduction (LVR) technology, independent of collateral ventilation...
- Lung volume reduction by bronchoscopic administration of steamMichael J Emery
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and Seattle Institute for Biomedical and Clinical Research, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:1282-91. 2010..However, LVR by these methods is limited by temporary or incomplete collapse and/or residual atelectatic and scarred tissue volumes. Heat-induced ablation of lung tissue is currently under investigation as an alternative LVR methodology...
- Microbial diversity in nonsulfur, sulfur and iron geothermal steam ventsCourtney A Benson
Department of Biology, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182 4614, USA
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 76:74-88. 2011Fumaroles, commonly called steam vents, are ubiquitous features of geothermal habitats. Recent studies have discovered microorganisms in condensed fumarole steam, but fumarole deposits have proven refractory to DNA isolation...
- Sugar recovery and fermentability of hemicellulose hydrolysates from steam-exploded softwoods containing barkA Boussaid
Chair of Forest Products Biotechnology, Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
Biotechnol Prog 17:887-92. 2001The hemicellulose sugar recovery and ethanol production obtained from SO2-catalyzed steam explosion of a mixed white fir (70%) and ponderosa pine (30%) feedstock containing bark (9% dry weight/dry weight) was assessed...
- Influence of mixing regime on enzymatic saccharification of steam-exploded softwood chipsUrsula Mais
Forest Products Biotechnology, Faculty of Forestry, The University of British Columbia, Forest Sciences Centre, Vancouver, Canada
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98:463-72. 2002..The substrate was generated by SO2-catalyzed steam explosion of Douglas fir wood chips followed by alkali-peroxide treatment to remove lignin...
- Fractionation of Eucalyptus grandis chips by dilute acid-catalysed steam explosionAlexandre Emmel
Research Center in Applied Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Federal University of Parana, PO Box 19 081, Curitiba, Paraná 81 531 990, Brazil
Bioresour Technol 86:105-15. 2003b>Steam explosion of Eucalyptus grandis has been carried out under various pretreatment conditions (200-210 degrees C, 2-5 min) after impregnation of the wood chips with 0.087 and 0.175% (w/w) H2SO4...
- Comparison of different extraction methods: steam distillation, simultaneous distillation and extraction and headspace co-distillation, used for the analysis of the volatile components in aged flue-cured tobacco leavesFumin Peng
Research Center of Tobacco and Health, University of Science and Technology of China, 121 Meiling Road, Hefei 230052, China
J Chromatogr A 1040:1-17. 2004b>Steam distillation (SD), simultaneous distillation and extraction (SDE) and headspace co-distillation (HCD) were compared here for their effectiveness in the extraction of volatile compounds from tobacco...
- Process considerations and economic evaluation of two-step steam pretreatment for production of fuel ethanol from softwoodAnders Wingren
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Biotechnol Prog 20:1421-9. 2004To increase the overall ethanol yield from softwood, the steam pretreatment stage can be carried out in two steps...
- Effect of inhibitors released during steam-explosion pretreatment of barley straw on enzymatic hydrolysisMa Prado García-Aparicio
Renewable Energies Department CIEMAT, Avenida Complutense, 22 28040 Madrid, Spain
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 129:278-88. 2006The influence of the liquid fraction (prehydrolysate) generated during steam-explosion pretreatment (210 degrees C, 15 min) of barley straw on the enzymatic hydrolysis was determined...
- Ethanol production from steam-explosion pretreated wheat strawIgnacio Ballesteros
CIEMAT Renewable Energies Division, Av Complutense, 22, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 129:496-508. 2006..In this work, the best operational conditions for steam-explosion pretreatment of wheat straw for ethanol production by a simultaneous saccharification and fermentation ..
- Acid-catalyzed steam pretreatment of lodgepole pine and subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation to ethanolShannon M Ewanick
Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Biotechnol Bioeng 98:737-46. 2007..Bioconversion of lodgepole pine to ethanol using SO(2)-catalyzed steam explosion was investigated...
- Structural changes in xanthan gum solutions during steam sterilization for sterile preparationsAditya Bindal
Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Pharm Dev Technol 12:159-67. 2007b>Steam sterilization of xanthan gum solutions at 121 degrees C caused a decrease in the helix conformation as well as the molecular weight distribution with a corresponding increase in the coil structure...
- Recycling cellulases during the hydrolysis of steam exploded and ethanol pretreated Lodgepole pineMaobing Tu
Forest Products Biotechnology Group, Department of Wood Science, Forest Sciences Centre, University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, V6T 1Z4, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Biotechnol Prog 23:1130-7. 2007..addition on enzymatic hydrolysis and the potential recycling of cellulases were studied during the hydrolysis of steam exploded Lodgepole pine (SELP) and ethanol pretreated Lodgepole pine (EPLP)...
- Steam reforming of biodiesel by-product to make renewable hydrogenMatthew Slinn
The School of Chemical Engineering, University of Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Bioresour Technol 99:5851-8. 2008The aim of this paper was to investigate the viability of steam reforming the combined glycerol and water by-product streams of a biodiesel plant...
- Contributions of hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin to the mass and the porous properties of chars and steam activated carbons from various lignocellulosic precursorsBenoît Cagnon
Laboratoire de Génie des Procédés pour l Environnement, l Energie, et la Santé GP2ES EA21, Institut Universitaire de Technologie, Universite d Orleans, Rue d Issoudun, Orleans cedex 2, France
Bioresour Technol 100:292-8. 2009..Besides, the evolution of the mean pore size versus the specific porous volume showed that each component contributes to the porosity of chars and activated carbons whatever is its weight contribution...
- Chemical compositions and antioxidant properties of essential oils from nine species of Turkish plants obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide extraction and steam distillationUmmihan Topal
Department of Applied Chemistry and Biochemistry, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Int J Food Sci Nutr 59:619-34. 2008..were studied. Essential oils were obtained by supercritical carbon dioxide (SCCO2) extraction and steam distillation, and were analyzed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry...
- Effect of exhaled moisture on breathing resistance of N95 filtering facepiece respiratorsRaymond J Roberge
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA 15236, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 54:671-7. 2010....
- Ethanol production via in situ fungal saccharification and fermentation of mild alkali and steam pretreated corn fiberPrachand Shrestha
Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Bioresour Technol 101:8698-705. 2010The effect of mild alkali and steam pretreatments on fungal saccharification and sequential simultaneous-saccharification and fermentation (SSF) of corn fiber to ethanol was studied...
- Cellulase adsorption and an evaluation of enzyme recycle during hydrolysis of steam-exploded softwood residuesYanpin Lu
Forest Products Biotechnology, Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98:641-54. 2002The sugar yield and enzyme adsorption profile obtained during the hydrolysis of SO2-catalyzed steam-exploded Douglas-fir and posttreated steam-exploded Douglas-fir substrates were determined...
- Superheated water extraction, steam distillation and Soxhlet extraction of essential oils of Origanum onitesMustafa Z Ozel
Faculty of Science and Arts, Chemistry Department, The University of Pamukkale, P O 286, 20017 Denizli, Turkey
Anal Bioanal Chem 379:1127-33. 2004Superheated water extraction (SWE) at various temperatures (100, 125, 150 and 175 degrees C), steam distillation, and Soxhlet extraction were compared in the extraction of essential oils from two samples of the plant Origanum onites, one ..
- Characteristics of degraded cellulose obtained from steam-exploded wheat strawX F Sun
College of Forestry, The North Western University of Agricultural and Forest Sciences and Technology, Yangling 712100, China
Carbohydr Res 340:97-106. 2005The isolation of cellulose from wheat straw was studied using a two-stage process based on steam explosion pre-treatment followed by alkaline peroxide post-treatment...
- Steam pretreatment of Salix with and without SO2 impregnation for production of bioethanolPer Sassner
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund Sweden
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 121:1101-17. 2005..b>Steam pretreatment of fast-growing Salix either with or without SO2 impregnation has been investigated by varying ..
- Steam-explosion pretreatment for enhancing anaerobic digestion of municipal wastewater sludgeMarcela Dereix
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Carleton University
Water Environ Res 78:474-85. 2006This study evaluated the use of steam explosion as a pretreatment for municipal wastewater treatment sludges and biosolids as a technique for enhancing biogas generation during anaerobic digestion...
- Steam reactivation of spent CaO-based sorbent for multiple CO2 capture cyclesVasilije Manovic
CANMET Energy Technology Centre Ottawa, Natural Resources Canada, 1 Haanel Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Environ Sci Technol 41:1420-5. 2007This study examines steam reactivation of sorbent to improve the reversibility of multiple CaO-CO2 capture cycles...
- A theoretical model of air and steam co-injection to prevent the downward migration of DNAPLs during steam-enhanced extractionScott F Kaslusky
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, 94720, USA
J Contam Hydrol 55:213-32. 2002When steam is injected into soil containing a dense volatile non-aqueous phase liquid contaminant the DNAPL vaporized within the heated soil region condenses and accumulates ahead of the steam condensation front...
- Microbial activity in soils following steam treatmentRuth E Richardson
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1710, USA
Biodegradation 13:285-95. 2002b>Steam enhanced extraction (SEE) is an aquifer remediation technique that can be effective at removing the bulk of non-aqueous phase liquid (NAPL) contamination from the subsurface, particularly highly volatile contaminants...
- Destruction of the LMA-ProSeal with the Red Plug during steam autoclavingDonald T Jolly
Can J Anaesth 51:193. 2004
- Unpolluted fractionation of wheat straw by steam explosion and ethanol extractionChen Hongzhang
State Key Laboratory of Biochemical Engineering, Institute of Process Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, PR China
Bioresour Technol 98:666-76. 2007An unpolluted process of wheat straw fractionation by steam explosion coupled with ethanol extraction was studied. The wheat straw was steam exploded for 4.5 min with moisture of 34.01%, a pressure of 1.5 MPa without acid or alkali...
- Dental care of infectious patients in Denmark, 1986-1993: theoretical considerations and empirical findingsF Scheutz
Department of Oral Epidemiology and Public Health, Royal Dental College, Faculty of Health Sciences, Aarhus University, Denmark
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:226-31. 1995..249 (74.3%) returned a mailed questionnaire together with a time, steam, temperature (TST) control indicator strip processed in their steam autoclaves, 3...
- Steam sterilisation of vesicular phospholipid gelsC Tardi
Institutt for Farmasi, Avd. Galenisk Farmasi, , N-9037, , Norway
Int J Pharm 217:161-72. 2001..It was investigated here if VPGs can be steam sterilised...
- Effect of oxygen delignification on the rate and extent of enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materialK M Draude
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, UBC Pulp and Paper Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Bioresour Technol 79:113-20. 2001..lignocellulosic substrates, including kraft pulp (model substrate), pulp mill primary clarifier sludge (PCS) and steam-exploded Douglas fir chips...
- Modeling simultaneous saccharification and fermentation of softwoodPar O Pettersson
Department of Technology, Physics and Mathematics, Mid Sweden University, Ornsköldsvik
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 98:733-46. 2002..In the present study, data from lab-scale batch SSF of SO2-impregnated, steam-pretreated spruce chips were used to evaluate a model found in the literature...
- A New Low Power Low Cost Ozone Sterilizer for Medical EquipmentJoseph R Stetter; Fiscal Year: 2012..Medical sterilizers available on the market today are primarily steam-based, with ethylene oxide and hydrogen peroxide plasma as other alternatives...
- Installation of Energy-Efficient Cage Washers for Childrens Hospital VivariumPhilip R Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2012..New, more modern cage washers will provide efficiency increases across many areas, including reduction in steam usage (48%), electricity (14%), hot water (78%), cold water (91%), and detergent (83%)...
- UAB Multi-user Fermentation Facility UpgradeNORMAN P HIGGINS; Fiscal Year: 2010..structure is a standalone building that houses a cluster of laboratories specifically designed with special water, steam, and electrical provisions for large scale experimental growth chambers and fermentation equipment...
- Multichannel Electrosonic Actuation Microarray for Cell-Based ScreeningJOHN MARK MEACHAM; Fiscal Year: 2010..by MIST will build on experience gained through characterization of a multimode bench-top-scale prototype, STEAM (Single-sample Treatment via Electrosonic Actuation Microarray)...
- Petra Fromme; Fiscal Year: 2016..proteins, where X-ray structure analysis is based on hundreds of thousands of X-ray diffraction patterns from a steam of fully hydrated nano/ microcrystals of membrane proteins, collected using the new high energy fs X-ray laser at ..
- Scheffer Cg Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2014..However, we have discovered that tea tree oil (TTO), a natural essential oil steam-distilled from the leaf of Melaleuca alternifolia, is effective in treating ocular demodicosi...
- University of Minnesota SPF Rodent Facility Autoclave Replacement ProjectRoland Gunther; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Funding is requested for the replacement of a steam autoclave in an SPF (specific pathogen free) rodent housing facility...
- Electrosonic Actuation Microarray: High-Throughput Tool for Transfection of DiffiJOHN MARK MEACHAM; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>STEAM (Single-sample Treatment via Electrosonic Actuation Microarray) ejects biological cells through microscopic ..
- High-throughput technology that enables sequencing depth for colorectal CAG M Makrigiorgos; Fiscal Year: 2012..Unfortunately the new sequencing technologies 'lose steam'when it comes to detecting low-level mutations, and for SGS currently it's either deep sequencing or ..
- Steam Sterilizer for Given Building Animal FacilityRuth Blauwiekel; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): This project seeks to add a second larger steam sterilizer to the Given research animal facility at the University of Vermont (UVM)...
- MELISSA J TERPSTRA; Fiscal Year: 2016..Spectra acquired in stimulated echo acquisition mode (STEAM) will be de-convolved quantitatively into contributions from the metabolites that contribute discernable ..
- Development of a High Efficiency Plasma SterilizerBRIAN BROSDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2007..sterilization technology has been recognized by the Department of Defense as being an acceptable replacement for steam sterilization in field and base hospitals...
- Central Sanitation for Animal Equipment to Sustain Biomedical Research at UCSDArthur B Ellis; Fiscal Year: 2010..5 million gallons of water, 24.2 million pounds of steam, and 560,000 kilowatts of electricity...
- Temperature-Tolerant COLD-PCR enables mutation-enriched targeted re-sequencingKATHERINE ANNE RICHARDSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..quantity of DNA in most patient samples and the abundance of normal DNA when analyzing blood, NGS 'loses steam'and its integration with clinical practice is problematic...
- Renovation for Safety & Long-Term Support of Rodent Research at Univ. CincinnatiSANDRA J DEGEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..3. Increase water and energy efficiency of steam sterilization by purchasing two energy/water-efficient, floor-loading Getinge GE 92222 large autoclaves to ..
- Mechanistic Role of NELL-1 in Premature Suture ClosureKang Ting; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also suggest that NELL-1 may be a common down-steam target/effector of several known CS candiate genes like FGFRs, MSX-2, and TGF-beta, in causing local premature ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN IMPLANTABLE EMG MICRO-TELEMETERDAVID EDELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Devices will be evaluated through steam sterilization cycles, in long term saline soak, long term animal implants, amputee laboratory evaluation tasks and ..
- Matthew B Dalva; Fiscal Year: 2016..findings implicating ephrinB and EphB proteins in control of migration of cells within the rostral migratory steam, we have established novel assay systems that allow us to begin to define the exact role of astrocytes in adult ..
- ELECTRODE DESIGN FOR CARDIAC TACHYARRYTHMIA RF ABLATIONJohn Webster; Fiscal Year: 2002..These are (1) uniform current density electrodes that prevent hot spots, steam generation "popping" and coagulum formation; (2) noncontact electrodes that generate larger lesions; (3) needle ..
- Microwave remediation of hazardous medical wastesPRASANNA CHANDRASEKHAR; Fiscal Year: 2009..2900/ton for incineration, and more for microwave-steam methods...
- COMPLETION OF A CENTRALIZED ANIMAL CARE PROGRAMGLEN SPAULDING; Fiscal Year: 1990..floor surfaces with a seamless poured epoxy floor, and cost- sharing the purchase of 1) a pass-through high-vacuum steam sterilizer, 2) HEPA-filtered laminar airflow workstations and waste management equipment and 3) animal housing ..
- DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESNOEL LEHNER; Fiscal Year: 1991..6) Rebuild one steam autoclave to facilitate animal resource functions for immunocompromised animals and studies with infectious agents...
- Rapid Test for Monitoring Dust Mite Avoidance in HomesMartin Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..was used to monitor allergen levels in homes and changes in allergen levels following an intervention procedure (steam cleaning)...
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE STERILANT GAS FOR DIALYSIS MEMBRANESJONATHAN NIMITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..membrane materials and other materials used in sensitive medical equipment degrade under the conditions of steam or gamma radiation sterilization...
- Engineered Spores as Fluorogenic Biological Indicators for Sterility TestingBoris Rotman; Fiscal Year: 2009..BIs) for sterility testing, BCR proposes a Phase II validation study of a rapid biological indicator (rBI) for steam sterilization...
- Addition of a Dry Heat Sterilizer in the Cancer Genetics Research Center Animal FAUGUST H BATTLES; Fiscal Year: 2013..A dry heat sterilizer was selected for the following reasons: (1) Less cost to and time to install than the steam autoclave;(2) less expensive to maintain;(3) minimal heat load and moisture added to the space;and (4) uses less ..
- Engineered Spores as Fluorogenic Biological Indicators for Sterility TestingBoris Rotman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Optimize F- spores as biological indicators for sterility assurance after steam sterilization...
- IMPROVING THE INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCES FACILITYBERNADETTE DUNHAM; Fiscal Year: 1990..The present environment control system for the Weiskotten Hall Animal Care Facility consists of central fans with steam pre-heating coils, chilled water coils and steam reheat coils...
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE STERILANT GAS FOR DIALYSIS MEMBRANESJONATHAN NIMITZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..different polymers or polymer blends are used in dialysis membranes, and most of these degrade under conditions of steam or gamma radiation sterilization. Ethylene oxide (EO) remains the sterilant of choice for these membranes...
- Enhanced Oxygenation of BioreactorsStuart Nemser; Fiscal Year: 2003..By doing this we can optimize the porous support and overall system for high flux or steam sterilization in combination with wet-out resistance...
- Low Temp Decontamination/Sterilize/Dental HandpiecesMohamed Labib; Fiscal Year: 2005..poor cleaning of internal channels and surfaces, improper or inadequate lubrication of moving parts, and repeated steam sterilization...
- STERILE DOCKING DEVICE FOR CENTRAL VENOUS CATHETER HUBSKENNETH CARR; Fiscal Year: 2000..Although the basic idea of using microwave energy to steam sterilize a hub connection might appear somewhat obvious and simple, the technical challenges to design and ..
- DECONTAMINATION AND TREATMENT OF RED BAG WASTECraig Andrews; Fiscal Year: 2000..Commonly accepted methods of waste treatment such as incineration, autoclaving, steam sterilization, and shipment off site, are now targets of public concern and more stringent regulatory control...
- GLUCOSE SENSOR FOR IN SITU BIOREACTOR MONITORINGAnthony Russell; Fiscal Year: 2000The objective of this proposal is to develop a robust and inexpensive steam- sterilizable glucose sensor for the bioprocessing industry...
- WSU Cage Wash Renovation and ImprovementRobert Fyffe; Fiscal Year: 2006..old unit, 2) replacement of a gravity displacement autoclave with a large vacuum autoclave, 3) the addition of a steam generator to supply the autoclaves with "clean" steam, and 4) the relocation of the existing tunnel washer and ..
- Novel Bench Top Point of Use Low Temperature SterilizerMARK FLUCHE; Fiscal Year: 2006Historically, steam autoclaves or dry-heat sterilizers, have played the predominant role for sterilizing devices, equipment, and supplies in hospitals and industry...
- In situ Optical Analyzer for Components in BioreactorsRONALD MICHEELS; Fiscal Year: 2002..The in situ probe design for multiple component analyzer will be compatible with steam sterilization...
- Biotech Center Barrier Improvement ProjectJoseph Newsome; Fiscal Year: 2009..The limitations of the existing steam autoclave are threefold: size limitations, age, and serviceability...
- IMPROVING PDC/MWRI INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESGerald Schatten; Fiscal Year: 2003..non-human primate enclosures that exceed all new United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) directives for psychological enrichment; and 2) modernize the PDC and MWRI vivarium with a steam sterilizer.
- THERMOSYPHON CYCLOTRON TARGETRY TO IMPROVE F-18 PETBRUCE WIELAND; Fiscal Year: 2004..The thermosyphon self-regulates, moving liquid (displaced by thermal expansion and condenser steam) in and out the bottom port...
- Extramural Research Facilities Improvement Program Proj*David Satcher; Fiscal Year: 2004..mouse cages; ventilated, barrier rat cages; biological safety cabinets; down draft necropsy table/work station; reverse osmosis animal water system; bulk autoclave; steam generator for autoclave; bedding disposal system; and cold room.
- Pediatric Cardiac Monitor for Extracorporeal Life SupportNikolai Krivitski; Fiscal Year: 2005..The Phase-l work will drive a Phase-lI program to design, build, and test highly sensitive steam-sterilizable clamp-on probes, robust software, and a stand-alone cardiac output monitor with an LCD touch screen...
- IN-SITU CELL DENSITY MONITOR FOR BIOREACTORSRONALD MICHEELS; Fiscal Year: 2001..The in-situ probe design for the cell monitor will be compatible with steam sterilization...
- UPGRADE OF ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT IN ANIMAL FACILITIES IIIRICHARD HUNEKE; Fiscal Year: 2004..safety cabinets; and 4) upgrade the microprocessor control panel on the existing GETINGE(r) Novus I High Vacuum Steam Sterilizer...
- Conference on Proteomics & BioinformaticsCatherine Costello; Fiscal Year: 2005..While the technology is still developing rapidly, and 'data collection' efforts are just gathering steam, the focus of this meeting will be on applications of proteomics to problem solving in molecular cell biology as ..
- Improving Animal Resources at the Clinical Research BldgGlen Gaulton; Fiscal Year: 2006..ventilation of the rack washer rooms (soiled and clean) and the autoclave areas, thereby exhausting heat and steam to provide comfortable working conditions for facility staff...
- LUNG CANCER AND DIESEL EXHAUST EXPOSUREEric Garshick; Fiscal Year: 2001..S. railroad workers published by our research group. In the U.S., the railroad industry changed from steam to diesel power in the 1950's such that by 1959, 95% of the locomotives were diesel...
- MRI/MRS IN THE EVALUATION OF PROSTATIC CARCINOMARobert Lenkinski; Fiscal Year: 1993..We propose to employ proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) (the STEAM sequence in particular) to monitor these metabolites non-invasively...
- RODENT BARRIER FACILITY RENOVATIONSBEVERLY GNADT; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] The University will purchase one 135 cu. ft. double door autoclave, one clean steam generator and a reverse osmosis system...
- RENOVATIONS FOR AUTOCLAVE SUPPORT SERVICENorman Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2004..The grant will purchase one 99 cu. ft, double door autoclave and two clean steam generators...
- EXTRAMURAL RESEARCH FACILITIES CONSTRUCTIONMaria Lima; Fiscal Year: 2005..systems of walk-in cold rooms to render them usable, and 4) performing infrastructure upgrades in electrical, steam and fuel storage to make it possible to do research in a predictable physical environment...
- Renovation of Medical Sciences/Education BuildingsLOUIS SULLIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..roofs of the BMSM and MEB, 2) renovate two chillers and a cooling tower which service both buildings, 3) renovate steam boilers for both buildings and upgrade the buildings electrical systems, 4) renovate three sump pumps in the Basic ..
- Tunnel Washer to Support VAPSHCS Animal FacilityCynthia Pekow; Fiscal Year: 2005..23 cage wash area of the facility, in a space designed specifically to house a tunnel washer, where utilities (steam, water, drains) are already in place...
- IMPROVEMENT OF CENTRALIZED CAGE WASHING FACILITIESJOHN VANDEBERG; Fiscal Year: 2003..and one smaller cage washer, including installation of new computer control systems; 2) to replace the existing steam and hot water cage wash equipment, including installation of a new boiler, new wiring and new piping; 3) to ..
- Human Brain Antioxidant Levels Measured In Vivo as a Function of Age and DietMelissa Terpstra; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work could lead to improved cognitive health of the aging American population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurochemical Correlates of Pathology in Spinocerebellar AtaxiasGULIN OZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..Successful application of such treatments is expected to reduce the burden caused by these diseases on individuals, their families and society. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genes & environment: education to involve communitiesLinda McCauley; Fiscal Year: 2006..The stages of the design of this project start with work within each community partner and build to activities in which the communities work together to share each others' perspective on the issues of interest. ..
- Control Measures for Silica Exposures for TuckpointingWilliam Heitbrink; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..