Genomes and Genes
Summary: Presence of warmth or heat or a temperature notably higher than an accustomed norm.
- Kumar K, Lall C, Raj R, Vedhagiri K, Vijayachari P. Coexistence and survival of pathogenic leptospires by formation of biofilm with Azospirillum. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2015;91: pubmed publisher..However, the mechanism of biofilm formation by leptospires needs to be explored to help devise an appropriate control strategy and reduce transmission of leptospires. ..
- Li X, Zhang G, Bai X, Sun X, Wang X, Wang E, et al. Highly conducting graphene sheets and Langmuir-Blodgett films. Nat Nanotechnol. 2008;3:538-42 pubmed publisher..The chemically derived, high-quality graphene sheets could lead to future scalable graphene devices. ..
- Burgman P, Ouyang H, Peterson S, Chen D, Li G. Heat inactivation of Ku autoantigen: possible role in hyperthermic radiosensitization. Cancer Res. 1997;57:2847-50 pubmed..Our data, for the first time, provide evidence for a role of Ku protein in modulating the cellular response to combined treatments of heat shock and ionizing radiation. ..
- Breheny D, Adamson J, Azzopardi D, Baxter A, Bishop E, Carr T, et al. A novel hybrid tobacco product that delivers a tobacco flavour note with vapour aerosol (Part 2): In vitro biological assessment and comparison with different tobacco-heating products. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;106:533-546 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest these products have the potential for reduced health risks. Further pre-clinical and clinical assessments are required to substantiate the risk reduction of these novel products at individual and population levels. ..
- Chen T, Li X, Zhao J, Zhang K. Impacts of cold weather on all-cause and cause-specific mortality in Texas, 1990-2011. Environ Pollut. 2017;225:244-251 pubmed publisher..26, 6.17]) and ischemic heart diseases (2.54%, 95% CI [1.08, 4.02]). In conclusion, cold weather generally increases mortality risk significantly in Texas, and the cold effects vary with MSAs, age groups, and cause-specific deaths. ..
- Hillenbrand C, Smith J, Hodell D, Greaves M, Poole C, Kender S, et al. West Antarctic Ice Sheet retreat driven by Holocene warm water incursions. Nature. 2017;547:43-48 pubmed publisher..These results increase confidence in the predictive capability of current ice-sheet models. ..
- Jenco J, Rawlingson A, Daniels B, Morris A. Regulation of phospholipase D2: selective inhibition of mammalian phospholipase D isoenzymes by alpha- and beta-synucleins. Biochemistry. 1998;37:4901-9 pubmed..Our findings suggest that inhibition of PLD2 may be a function of synucleins. Modulation of PLD2 activity by synucleins may play a role in some aspects of the pathophysiologies that characterize these neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Yu G, Chen L, Lin C, Li B, Cui H, CHEN S, et al. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assays for screening of bacterial integrons. Biol Res. 2014;47:53 pubmed publisher..The intI1-, intI2- and intI3-LAMP assays established in this study were demonstrated to be the valid and rapid detection methodologies for the screening of bacterial integrons. ..
- Suh J, Oppenheim E, Girgis S, Stover P. Purification and properties of a folate-catabolizing enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35646-55 pubmed..These results indicate that ferritin catalyzes folate turnover in vitro and in vivo and may be an important factor in regulating intracellular folate concentrations. ..
- Vasan A, Ingham S, Ingham B. Comparative Effect of Heat Shock on Survival of O157:H7 and Non-O157 Shiga Toxigenic Escherichia coli and Salmonella in Lean Beef with or without Moisture-Enhancing Ingredients. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1002-1008 pubmed publisher..05). We suggest that thermal processes validated against Salmonella may not prove effective against STEC in all cases and that regulators of the beef industry should focus attention on STEC in nonintact moisture-enhanced beef products. ..
- Liu Y, Li Q, Zhou Z, Yeah Y, Chang C, Lee C, et al. Adaptive ultrasound temperature imaging for monitoring radiofrequency ablation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182457 pubmed publisher..The proposed adaptive-k ultrasound temperature imaging strategy has potential to serve as a thermal dosage evaluation tool for monitoring high-temperature RFA. ..
- Semenyuk P, Kurochkina L, Gusev N, Izumrudov V, Muronetz V. Chaperone-like activity of synthetic polyanions can be higher than the activity of natural chaperones at elevated temperature. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;489:200-205 pubmed publisher..These results provide a platform for the development of artificial chaperones based on synthetic polyelectrolytes. ..
- Nawata M, Tsutsumi H, Kobayashi Y, Unzai S, Mine S, Nakamura T, et al. Heat-induced native dimerization prevents amyloid formation by variable domain from immunoglobulin light-chain REI. FEBS J. 2017;284:3114-3127 pubmed publisher..Structural data are available in the Protein Data Bank under the accession numbers 5XP1 and 5XQY. ..
- Ota T, Nishida Y, Ikuta K, Kato R, Kozawa E, Hamada S, et al. Heat-stimuli-enhanced osteogenesis using clinically available biomaterials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181404 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates that heat-stimuli with clinically applicable novel heating materials can promote significant osteogenesis, and may thus be a promising treatment option for diseases associated with bone defects. ..
- Carrier M, Windt M, Ziegler B, Appelt J, Saake B, Meier D, et al. Quantitative Insights into the Fast Pyrolysis of Extracted Cellulose, Hemicelluloses, and Lignin. ChemSusChem. 2017;10:3212-3224 pubmed publisher..e., hemicelluloses, cellulose and lignin) confirmed the origin of individual chemicals within the fast pyrolysis liquids. ..
- Zhu Y, Wang Y, Li J, Li F, Teng C, Li X. Effects of Water-Extractable Arabinoxylan on the Physicochemical Properties and Structure of Wheat Gluten by Thermal Treatment. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:4728-4735 pubmed publisher..A 5% WEAX content is helpful for gluten to maintain its original gauche-gauche-gauche conformation of disulfide bond upon heating. In addition, WEAX can reduce the elasticity of gluten and form a soft texture at 25, 55, and 75 °C. ..
- Selby K, Mascher G, Somervuo P, Lindstrom M, Korkeala H. Heat shock and prolonged heat stress attenuate neurotoxin and sporulation gene expression in group I Clostridium botulinum strain ATCC 3502. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176944 pubmed publisher..botulinum. Finally, changes in the expression of a large number of genes related to carbohydrate and amino acid metabolism indicated remodeling of the cellular metabolism. ..
- Licursi D, Antonetti C, Fulignati S, Vitolo S, Puccini M, Ribechini E, et al. In-depth characterization of valuable char obtained from hydrothermal conversion of hazelnut shells to levulinic acid. Bioresour Technol. 2017;244:880-888 pubmed publisher..The proposed integrated approach makes possible to fully exploit this waste, smartly closing its biorefinery cycle in a sustainable development perspective. ..
- Varea J, Saiz J, Lopez Zumel C, Monterroso B, Medrano F, Arrondo J, et al. Do sequence repeats play an equivalent role in the choline-binding module of pneumococcal LytA amidase?. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:26842-55 pubmed..The p6 repeat scarcely affects the amidase stability but could provide the proper three-dimensional orientation of the final tail. ..
- Ali B, Khan K, Majeed H, Abid M, Xu L, Wu F, et al. Soymilk-Cow's milk ACE-inhibiting enzyme modified cheese. Food Chem. 2017;237:1083-1091 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in addition to flavour, the bioactive cheese powders produced from a combination of soymilk-cow's milk are of potential source and can be used in the dietary management of hypertension. ..
- Chang C, Bernard T, Logan J. Effects of heat stress on risk perceptions and risk taking. Appl Ergon. 2017;62:150-157 pubmed publisher..Our findings support that risk-related processes may explain the effects of heat exposure on increased accidents and injuries beyond its direct impact on heat-related illnesses. ..
- Titelboim D, Sadekov A, Almogi Labin A, Herut B, Kucera M, Schmidt C, et al. Geochemical signatures of benthic foraminiferal shells from a heat-polluted shallow marine environment provide field evidence for growth and calcification under extreme warmth. Glob Chang Biol. 2017;23:4346-4353 pubmed publisher..The observed inhibition of calcification at low temperatures indicates that the role of heat-tolerant foraminifera in carbonate production will most likely increase in future decades. ..
- Aravindan G, Bjordahl J, Jost L, Evenson D. Susceptibility of human sperm to in situ DNA denaturation is strongly correlated with DNA strand breaks identified by single-cell electrophoresis. Exp Cell Res. 1997;236:231-7 pubmed
- Roscani R, Bitencourt D, Maia P, Ruas A. [Risk of exposure to heatstroke in sugarcane workers in São Paulo State, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00211415 pubmed publisher..The limits were exceeded throughout the work shift on 7% of the days for heavy activity and on 3% of the days for moderate activity. In addition, the areas with the highest risk of heatstroke coincide with predominant cane-growing. ..
- Yan F, Wang S, Yang W, Goldberg S, Wu H, Duan W, et al. Tumor-penetrating Peptide-integrated Thermally Sensitive Liposomal Doxorubicin Enhances Efficacy of Radiofrequency Ablation in Liver Tumors. Radiology. 2017;285:462-471 pubmed publisher..sup>© RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- Starbird C, Maklashina E, Sharma P, Qualls Histed S, Cecchini G, Iverson T. Structural and biochemical analyses reveal insights into covalent flavinylation of the Escherichia coli Complex II homolog quinol:fumarate reductase. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:12921-12933 pubmed publisher..We propose that multiple factors, including the SdhE assembly factor and bound dicarboxylates, stimulate covalent flavinylation by preorganizing the active site to stabilize the quinone-methide intermediate. ..
- Schena E, Quaranta A, Saccomandi P, Silvestri S. Performances of heated humidifiers in mechanical ventilation: a preliminary intra-breath analysis. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:934-7 pubmed publisher..These results further support the hypothesis which asserts that HHs performances could be improved by using a control strategy taking into account ventilatory settings. ..
- Sugumaran V, Prakash S, Ramu E, Arora A, Bansal V, Kagdiyal V, et al. Detailed characterization of bio-oil from pyrolysis of non-edible seed-cakes by Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR) and gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS) techniques. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1058:47-56 pubmed publisher..Jatropha and Karanjia. ..
- Savada R, Ozga J, Jayasinghege C, Waduthanthri K, Reinecke D. Heat stress differentially modifies ethylene biosynthesis and signaling in pea floral and fruit tissues. Plant Mol Biol. 2017;95:313-331 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that ethylene biosynthesis is regulated in reproductive tissues in response to heat stress to modulate resource allocation dynamics. ..
- Ozkaya H, Ozkaya B, Duman B, Turksoy S. Effect of Dephytinization by Fermentation and Hydrothermal Autoclaving Treatments on the Antioxidant Activity, Dietary Fiber, and Phenolic Content of Oat Bran. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:5713-5719 pubmed publisher..Among all samples, the autoclaving process resulted in the lowest PA and the greatest amount of bioactive compounds. ..
- Pearce S, McWhinnie R, Nano F. Synthetic temperature-inducible lethal gene circuits in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 2017;163:462-471 pubmed publisher..Strains carrying either one or two TS lethal circuits could generate mutants that survived at high temperature. These mutants included complete deletions of the lethal gene circuits. ..
- Abramovitch J, Kamath S, Varese N, Zubrinich C, Lopata A, O Hehir R, et al. IgE Reactivity of Blue Swimmer Crab (Portunus pelagicus) Tropomyosin, Por p 1, and Other Allergens; Cross-Reactivity with Black Tiger Prawn and Effects of Heating. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e67487 pubmed publisher..These findings will advance more reliable diagnosis and management of potentially severe food allergy due to crustaceans. ..
- Bates A, McKelvie C, Sorte C, Morley S, Jones N, Mondon J, et al. Geographical range, heat tolerance and invasion success in aquatic species. Proc Biol Sci. 2013;280:20131958 pubmed..Our results emphasize the importance of formal risk assessments before moving heat tolerant species to novel locations. ..
- Villalobos JimÃ©nez G, Hassall C. Effects of the urban heat island on the phenology of Odonata in London, UK. Int J Biometeorol. 2017;61:1337-1346 pubmed publisher..We conclude by highlighting the importance of climate change on freshwater habitats over the impacts of the UHI. ..
- Affram K, Udofot O, Singh M, Krishnan S, Reams R, Rosenberg J, et al. Smart thermosensitive liposomes for effective solid tumor therapy and in vivo imaging. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185116 pubmed publisher..Overall, the findings suggest that TSLnps may be used to improve Gem delivery and enhance its antitumor activity. However, the formulation of Gd-TSLnp needs to be fully optimized to significantly enhance MRI contrast in tumor...
- Mustafa S, Ismael H. Ethanol potentiates heat response in the carotid artery via TRPV1. Life Sci. 2017;188:83-86 pubmed publisher..This effect may induce brain damage and heat stroke. Development of new drugs act as TRPV1 antagonist can be used to prevent these fatal effects. ..
- Vallee S, Fouchier F, Braguer D, Marvaldi J, Champion S. Ribavirin-induced resistance to heat shock, inhibition of the Ras-Raf-1 pathway and arrest in G(1). Eur J Pharmacol. 2000;404:49-62 pubmed
- Yang X, Devos J, Klassen M. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Minute Steaks Cooked under Selected Conditions. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1641-1647 pubmed publisher..Thus, turning over minute steaks twice during cooking to 71°C or flipping two, three, or four times with a cooking time of 10, 8, or 6 min could achieve 5-log reductions throughout the steaks. ..
- Aboulkas A, Hammani H, El Achaby M, Bilal E, Barakat A, El Harfi K. Valorization of algal waste via pyrolysis in a fixed-bed reactor: Production and characterization of bio-oil and bio-char. Bioresour Technol. 2017;243:400-408 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, the bio-char is a promising candidate for solid fuel applications and for the production of carbon materials. ..
- Mateus A, Costa R, Cardoso J, Andree K, Estévez A, Gisbert E, et al. Thermal imprinting modifies adult stress and innate immune responsiveness in the teleost sea bream. J Endocrinol. 2017;233:381-394 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results demonstrate that temperature during early development influences the adult HPI axis and immune function in a teleost fish. ..
- Roskamp K, Montelongo D, Anorma C, Bandak D, Chua J, Malecha K, et al. Multiple Aggregation Pathways in Human ?S-Crystallin and Its Aggregation-Prone G18V Variant. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2397-2405 pubmed publisher..The resulting aggregates differ in their ThT fluorescence and turbidity, suggesting that at least two different aggregation pathways are accessible to both proteins under the conditions tested. ..
- Peng Y, Pu J, Tang C, Wu Z. Curcumin Inhibits Heat-Induced Apoptosis by Suppressing NADPH Oxidase 2 and Activating the Akt/mTOR Signaling Pathway in Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;41:2091-2103 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that one of the critical mechanisms underlying curcumin inhibiting heat-induced apoptosis is through suppressing NADPH Oxidase 2 and activating the Akt/mTOR signaling pathway in bronchial epithelial cells. ..
- White J, Toptygin D, Cohen R, Murphy N, Hilser V. Structural Stability of the Coiled-Coil Domain of Tumor Susceptibility Gene (TSG)-101. Biochemistry. 2017;56:4646-4655 pubmed publisher..These results support a model whereby the tetramer-monomer equilibrium of TSG101 serves as the cellular reservoir of TSG101, which is effectively outcompeted when its binding partners are present and the heteroternary complex can form...
- Oliver K, Franceschetti S, Milligan C, Muona M, Mandelstam S, Canafoglia L, et al. Myoclonus epilepsy and ataxia due to KCNC1 mutation: Analysis of 20 cases and K+ channel properties. Ann Neurol. 2017;81:677-689 pubmed publisher..1 subunit-containing channels, which would counter the loss of function observed for mutant channels, highlighting KCNC1 as a potential target for precision therapeutics. Ann Neurol 2017;81:677-689. ..
- Deng N, Zhang A, Zhang Q, He G, Cui W, Chen G, et al. Simulation analysis and ternary diagram of municipal solid waste pyrolysis and gasification based on the equilibrium model. Bioresour Technol. 2017;235:371-379 pubmed publisher..Assuming that the MSW was composed of 100% combustible content, ternary diagram shows that there was a minimum limiting value of 43.8% for the syngas reuse rate in the process. ..
- He L, Zhang X, Huang Y, Yang H, Wang Y, Zhang Z. The characterization of RHEB gene and its responses to hypoxia and thermal stresses in the small abalone Haliotis diversicolor. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;210:48-54 pubmed publisher..05). The results in this study demonstrated for the first time that RHEB gene in abalones is able to response to stress stimuli of hypoxia or/and thermal. ..