Genomes and Genes
Summary: An absence of warmth or heat or a temperature notably below an accustomed norm.
- Dagert M, Ehrlich S. Prolonged incubation in calcium chloride improves the competence of Escherichia coli cells. Gene. 1979;6:23-8 pubmed..With 24-h-old competent cells we obtained routinely 2 . 10(7) transformants per microgram of pBR322 DNA, and transformed over 20% of viable cells. ..
- Liang J, Yin K, Cao X, Han Z, Huang Q, Zhang L, et al. Attenuation of Low Ambient Temperature-Induced Myocardial Hypertrophy by Atorvastatin via Promoting Bcl-2 Expression. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;41:286-295 pubmed publisher..In addition, systolic blood pressure was gradually increased in mice exposed to cold temperature, and Atv treatment significantly inhibited the elevation of blood pressure in cold-treated mice...
- Xiao Y, Zhou L, Xia W, Mason A, Yang Y, Ma Z, et al. Exploiting transcriptome data for the development and characterization of gene-based SSR markers related to cold tolerance in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis). BMC Plant Biol. 2014;14:384 pubmed publisher..Meanwhile, the EST-SSR loci were inducible expressed in response to low temperature, which may have potential application in identifying trait-associated markers in oil palm in the future. ..
- Moiseienko I. [Research of influencing of ecological factors of Antarctic on capacity of human for adaptation]. Fiziol Zh. 2012;58:35-43 pubmed
- Lefcourt A, Adams W. Radiotelemetric measurement of body temperature in feedlot steers during winter. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:1830-7 pubmed
- De Zanet D, Battiston M, Lombardi E, Specogna R, Trevisan F, De Marco L, et al. Impedance biosensor for real-time monitoring and prediction of thrombotic individual profile in flowing blood. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184941 pubmed publisher..With advantages in terms of small size, user-friendliness and promptness of response, it is a promising device for the fast and automatic individual health monitoring at the Point of Care (POC). ..
- Saeidi M, Moharramipour S. Physiology of Cold Hardiness, Seasonal Fluctuations, and Cryoprotectant Contents in Overwintering Adults of Hypera postica (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). Environ Entomol. 2017;46:960-966 pubmed publisher..However, microhabitat may also play an important role in protecting insects from cold weather and allowing them to tolerate low temperatures and increase their population...
- Shibuta Y, Sakane S, Miyoshi E, Okita S, Takaki T, Ohno M. Heterogeneity in homogeneous nucleation from billion-atom molecular dynamics simulation of solidification of pure metal. Nat Commun. 2017;8:10 pubmed publisher..Here the authors reveal, via a billion-atom molecular dynamics simulation, that local heterogeneity exists during homogeneous nucleation in an undercooled iron melt. ..
- Rao A, Murphy S. Secretion defect in platelets stored at 4 degrees C. Thromb Haemost. 1982;47:221-5 pubmed..The secretion defect demonstrated in cold stored platelets may be related to the inability of these platelets to maintain ATP homeostasis. ..
- LLOYD O. CAVERS DYING OF COLD. Bristol Med Chir J. 1964;79:1-5 pubmed
- Champigny O, Ricquier D. Effects of fasting and refeeding on the level of uncoupling protein mRNA in rat brown adipose tissue: evidence for diet-induced and cold-induced responses. J Nutr. 1990;120:1730-6 pubmed..Under the same environmental conditions (28 degrees C), refeeding still triggered a sharp, though transient, increase in UCP mRNA, showing that DIT was dissociated from NST. ..
- Song G, Zhang R, Zhang S, Li Y, Gao J, Han X, et al. Response of microRNAs to cold treatment in the young spikes of common wheat. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:212 pubmed publisher..MiRNAs provide another layer of gene regulation in cold stress response that can be genetically manipulated to reduce yield loss in wheat. ..
- Tominami K, Kanetaka H, Sasaki S, Mokudai T, Kaneko T, Niwano Y. Cold atmospheric plasma enhances osteoblast differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180507 pubmed publisher..Appropriate plasma irradiation stimulated the osteoblastic differentiation of the cells. This process offers the potential of promoting bone regeneration. ..
- Phillips M, Needham M, Weller R. Role of cervical lymph nodes in autoimmune encephalomyelitis in the Lewis rat. J Pathol. 1997;182:457-64 pubmed..Investigation of the interrelationships between cervical lymph nodes and the brain in man may lead to new therapeutic strategies for multiple sclerosis. ..
- Wang J, Wu B, Yin H, Fan Z, Li X, Ni S, et al. Overexpression of CaAPX Induces Orchestrated Reactive Oxygen Scavenging and Enhances Cold and Heat Tolerances in Tobacco. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4049534 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study presents a comprehensive characterization of cellular response related to CaAPX expression and provides insights to breed crops with high temperature tolerances. ..
- Briedis M, Hahn S, Adamík P. Cold spell en route delays spring arrival and decreases apparent survival in a long-distance migratory songbird. BMC Ecol. 2017;17:11 pubmed publisher..Understanding how environmental stimuli and endogenous circannual rhythms interact can improve predictions of the consequences of climate changes on migratory animals. ..
- Caprette D, Senturia J. Isovolumetric performance of isolated ground squirrel and rat hearts at low temperature. Am J Physiol. 1984;247:R722-7 pubmed..However, seasonal adaptations appear not to be required to confer the special resistance of the seasonal hibernator's heart to the deleterious effects of low temperature. ..
- Kelley K, Blecha F, Regnier J. Cold exposure and absorption of colostral immunoglobulins by neonatal pigs. J Anim Sci. 1982;55:363-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate that a cold stressor sufficient to induce hypothermia does not impair absorption of colostral macromolecules in piglets. However, cold exposure was related to increase incidence and severity of diarrhea. ..
- Muller I, Zimmermann M, Becker D, Flömer M. Calendar life span versus budding life span of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mech Ageing Dev. 1980;12:47-52 pubmed..We therefore conclude that there is some kind of factor involved in the budding process which determines life span. ..
- Williams J, Elvington A, Ivanov S, Kessler S, Luehmann H, Baba O, et al. Thermoneutrality but Not UCP1 Deficiency Suppresses Monocyte Mobilization Into Blood. Circ Res. 2017;121:662-676 pubmed publisher..Using mouse models of atherosclerosis housed at 3 different ambient temperatures, we observed that cold temperature enhanced, whereas thermoneutral housing temperature inhibited atherosclerotic plaque growth, as did ..
- Bollag D, McQueney P, Zhu J, Hensens O, Koupal L, Liesch J, et al. Epothilones, a new class of microtubule-stabilizing agents with a taxol-like mechanism of action. Cancer Res. 1995;55:2325-33 pubmed
- Jones J, Lydon K, Kinsey T, Friedman B, Curtis M, Schuster R, et al. Effects of ambient exposure, refrigeration, and icing on Vibrio vulnificus and Vibrio parahaemolyticus abundances in oysters. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;253:54-58 pubmed publisher..These results suggest vibriosis risk can be mitigated by shorter storage times and more rapid cooling of oysters, providing data regulatory authorities can use to evaluate Vibrio spp. control plans. ..
- Hicks T, McGlone J, Whisnant C, Kattesh H, Norman R. Behavioral, endocrine, immune, and performance measures for pigs exposed to acute stress. J Anim Sci. 1998;76:474-83 pubmed..Pig behavior was significantly changed by each stress treatment in a unique manner. During acute stress, behavioral changes seem to be the most consistent and reliable indicators. ..
- Nagle W, Soloff B, Moss A, Henle K. Cultured Chinese hamster cells undergo apoptosis after exposure to cold but nonfreezing temperatures. Cryobiology. 1990;27:439-51 pubmed..8 mM zinc sulfate. The results suggest that apoptosis represents a new manifestation of cell injury after brief exposure to 0-6 degrees C hypothermia. ..
- Zeiher A, Drexler H, Wollschlaeger H, Saurbier B, Just H. Coronary vasomotion in response to sympathetic stimulation in humans: importance of the functional integrity of the endothelium. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1989;14:1181-90 pubmed..Thus, coronary vasomotion of large epicardial arteries in response to sympathetic stimulation by the cold pressor test in humans is intimately related to the integrity of endothelial function. ..
- Lin Y, Hu W, Xu J, Luo Z, Ye X, Yan C, et al. Association between temperature and maternal stress during pregnancy. Environ Res. 2017;158:421-430 pubmed publisher..Cumulative and acute exposures to extremely low/high temperatures may both induce emotional stress during pregnancy. ..
- Luo X, Jia R, Luo X, Wang G, Zhang Q, Qiao H, et al. Cold Exposure Differentially Stimulates Angiogenesis in BAT and WAT of Mice: Implication in Adrenergic Activation. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:974-986 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the angiogenesis is a transient process with the angiogenic factors may work in an autocrine/paracrine manner. ..
- Ohashi N, Morino K, Ida S, Sekine O, Lemecha M, Kume S, et al. Pivotal Role of O-GlcNAc Modification in Cold-Induced Thermogenesis by Brown Adipose Tissue Through Mitochondrial Biogenesis. Diabetes. 2017;66:2351-2362 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, O-GlcNAc modification is essential for cold-induced thermogenesis and mitochondrial biogenesis in BAT. Glucose flux into BAT may be a signal to maintain BAT physiological responses. ..
- Muiruri H, Harrison P. Effect of peripheral foot cooling on metabolic rate and thermoreregulation of fed and fasted chicken hens in a hot environment. Poult Sci. 1991;70:74-9 pubmed..It is concluded that the water-cooled roost partially alleviated heat stress by lowering metabolic rate.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Hingston P, Chen J, Allen K, Truelstrup Hansen L, Wang S. Strand specific RNA-sequencing and membrane lipid profiling reveals growth phase-dependent cold stress response mechanisms in Listeria monocytogenes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180123 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes, the growth-phase dependency of its cold-stress regulon, and the active roles of antisense transcripts in regulating its cold stress response. ..
- Pradhan S, Kant C, Verma S, Bhatia S. Genome-wide analysis of the CCCH zinc finger family identifies tissue specific and stress responsive candidates in chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180469 pubmed publisher..The identified tissue specific and abiotic stress specific CCCH genes could be potential candidates for further characterization to delineate their functional roles in development and stress. ..
- Maitre N, Stark A, McCoy Menser C, Chorna O, France D, Key A, et al. Cry presence and amplitude do not reflect cortical processing of painful stimuli in newborns with distinct responses to touch or cold. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2017;102:F428-F433 pubmed publisher..New bedside assessments of newborn pain may need to be developed using brain-based methodologies as benchmarks in order to provide optimal pain mitigation. ..
- Dyck P. Detection, characterization, and staging of polyneuropathy: assessed in diabetics. Muscle Nerve. 1988;11:21-32 pubmed..In this report we also propose a staging approach utilizing nerve conduction and neurologic history and examination and validated tests of neuropathic symptoms and deficits. ..
- Blecha F, Kelley K. Cold stress reduces the acquisition of colostral immunoglobulin in piglets. J Anim Sci. 1981;52:594-600 pubmed..A reduction in the amount of antigen-specific antibody from colostrum may contribute to preweaning mortality among young pigs. ..
- Zhang Z, Bi M, Yao H, Fu J, Li S, Xu S. Effect of cold stress on expression of AMPKalpha-PPARalpha pathway and inflammation genes. Avian Dis. 2014;58:415-26 pubmed..These results suggested that increased inflammation was a feature associated with a lipid-metabolism disorder in the livers of chickens exposed to cold stress. ..
- Gonzalez A, Ugarte G, Restrepo C, Herrera G, Piña R, Gómez Sánchez J, et al. Role of the Excitability Brake Potassium Current IKD in Cold Allodynia Induced by Chronic Peripheral Nerve Injury. J Neurosci. 2017;37:3109-3126 pubmed publisher..of cold-sensitive neurons (CSNs) in DRGs contributing to the sciatic nerve, and a decrease in their cold temperature threshold...
- He L, Mao Y, Zhang L, Wang H, Alias S, Gao B, et al. Functional expression of a novel ?-amylase from Antarctic psychrotolerant fungus for baking industry and its magnetic immobilization. BMC Biotechnol. 2017;17:22 pubmed publisher..In addition, AmyA1 was immobilized on magnetic nanoparticles and characterized. The improved stability and longer service life of AmyA1 could potentially benefit industrial applications. ..
- Aguirre A, Vicente A, Hardwick S, Alvelos D, Mazzon R, Luisi B, et al. Association of the Cold Shock DEAD-Box RNA Helicase RhlE to the RNA Degradosome in Caulobacter crescentus. J Bacteriol. 2017;199: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that RhlE has a specific role in the degradosome at low temperature, potentially improving adaptation to this condition. ..
- Casillo A, Ziaco M, Lindner B, Parrilli E, Schwudke D, Holgado A, et al. Unusual Lipid?A from a Cold-Adapted Bacterium: Detailed Structural Characterization. Chembiochem. 2017;18:1845-1854 pubmed publisher..Biological-activity assays indicated that C.?psychrerythraea 34H lipid?A did not show an agonistic or antagonistic effect upon testing in human macrophages...
- Vallejo R, Leeds T, Gao G, Parsons J, Martin K, Evenhuis J, et al. Genomic selection models double the accuracy of predicted breeding values for bacterial cold water disease resistance compared to a traditional pedigree-based model in rainbow trout aquaculture. Genet Sel Evol. 2017;49:17 pubmed publisher
- Utaaker K, Skjerve E, Robertson L. Keeping it cool: Survival of Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts on lettuce leaves. Int J Food Microbiol. 2017;255:51-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, as the cold chain for transport and storage of fresh produce improves, it is important that similar improvements are implemented to reduce the contamination of fresh produce with parasite transmission stages. ..
- Hajek T, Vicherová E. Desiccation tolerance of Sphagnum revisited: a puzzle resolved. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2014;16:765-73 pubmed..We confirmed the morpho-physiological trade-off: in contrast to typical hollow sphagna, hummock species invest more resources in water retention (desiccation avoidance), while they have a lower ability to develop physiological DT. ..
- Ikuta F, Yoshida Y, Ohama E, Oyanagi K, Takeda S, Yamazaki K, et al. Revised pathophysiology on BBB damage: the edema as an ingeniously provided condition for cell motility and lesion repair. Acta Neuropathol Suppl. 1983;8:103-10 pubmed..The biological significance of the edema fluid was emphasized and stereotaxic morphology and cinematography, supporting the above evidence, have also been presented. ..
- Storch T, Finatto T, Bruneau M, Orsel Baldwin M, Renou J, Rombaldi C, et al. Contrasting Transcriptional Programs Control Postharvest Development of Apples (Malus x domestica Borkh.) Submitted to Cold Storage and Ethylene Blockage. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:7813-7826 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that the blockage of ethylene perception and signaling leads to upregulation of genes in anabolic pathways. We also associated complex phenotypes to subsets of differentially regulated genes. ..
- Fenske A, Samii M, Reulen H, Hey O. Extracellular space and electrolyte distribution in cortex and white matter of dog brain in cold induced oedema. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 1973;28:81-94 pubmed
- Mingyai S, Kettawan A, Srikaeo K, Singanusong R. Physicochemical and Antioxidant Properties of Rice Bran Oils Produced from Colored Rice Using Different Extraction Methods. J Oleo Sci. 2017;66:565-572 pubmed publisher..This study found that RBO produced from the bran of black rice samples using SC-CO2 extraction method showed the best physicochemical and antioxidant properties. ..
- Bleiker K, Smith G, Humble L. Cold Tolerance of Mountain Pine Beetle (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) Eggs From the Historic and Expanded Ranges. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:1165-1170 pubmed publisher..In addition to lower lethal temperatures, it is critical that the duration of exposure to sublethal cold temperatures are considered in a comprehensive index of cold tolerance and incorporated into survival and population models...