Summary: Non-frontal low-pressure systems over tropical or sub-tropical waters with organized convection and definite pattern of surface wind circulation.
- Feria DomÃnguez J, Paneque P, Gil Hurtado M. Risk Perceptions on Hurricanes: Evidence from the U.S. Stock Market. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Our research highlights the existence of significant cumulative abnormal returns around the landfall event window in most of the hurricanes analyzed, except for the Katrina and Sandy Hurricanes. ..
- Khan R, Anwar R, Akanda S, McDonald M, Huq A, Jutla A, et al. Assessment of Risk of Cholera in Haiti following Hurricane Matthew. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:896-903 pubmed publisher..Assuming current social and behavioral patterns remain constant, it is recommended that WASH infrastructure should be improved and considered a priority especially before 2017 rainy season. ..
- McCanlies E, Gu J, Andrew M, Burchfiel C, Violanti J. Resilience mediates the relationship between social support and post-traumatic stress symptoms in police officers. J Emerg Manag. 2017;15:107-116 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that resilience mediates the relationship between social support and symp-toms of PTSD. Targeting social support and resilience in officers may facilitate reduction of PTSD symptoms. ..
- Zhang W, Wang W, Lin J, Zhang Y, Shang X, Wang X, et al. Perception, Knowledge and Behaviors Related to Typhoon: A Cross Sectional Study among Rural Residents in Zhejiang, China. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The government should further make strategies to develop educational activities, in order to eliminate the gap and improve the ability of preparing for typhoon among rural residents. ..
- Hamama Raz Y, Palgi Y, Leshem E, Ben Ezra M, Lavenda O. Typhoon survivors' subjective wellbeing-A different view of responses to natural disaster. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184327 pubmed publisher..The results imply the important role individual's resources (i.e. objects, personal characteristics, conditions, and energies) might play in promoting subjective well-being, following natural disaster. ..
- Fullerton C, McKibben J, Reissman D, Scharf T, Kowalski Trakofler K, Shultz J, et al. Posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and alcohol and tobacco use in public health workers after the 2004 Florida hurricanes. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2013;7:89-95 pubmed publisher..Work-related disaster mental and behavioral health burden indicate the need for additional mental health interventions in the public health disaster workforce. ..
- Zheng J, Han W, Jiang B, Ma W, Zhang Y. Infectious Diseases and Tropical Cyclones in Southeast China. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Findings of this study would assist in developing public health strategies and interventions for the reduction of the adverse health impacts from tropical cyclones. ..
- Shao W, Xian S, Lin N, Small M. A sequential model to link contextual risk, perception and public support for flood adaptation policy. Water Res. 2017;122:216-225 pubmed publisher..To achieve this, more information on current and future flood risks and options available for mitigation as well as risk communication tools are needed. ..
- Ouyang H. Nonlinear autoregressive neural networks with external inputs for forecasting of typhoon inundation level. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:376 pubmed publisher..The NARX-S model outperformed the ARX-based models in all three indexes, whereas the NARX-P model exhibited comparable CE performance and superior RTS and PE performance. ..
- Powell T, Hanfling D, Gostin L. Emergency preparedness and public health: the lessons of Hurricane Sandy. JAMA. 2012;308:2569-70 pubmed
- Martín Y, Li Z, Cutter S. Leveraging Twitter to gauge evacuation compliance: Spatiotemporal analysis of Hurricane Matthew. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181701 pubmed publisher..These findings advance the use of big data and citizen-as-sensor approaches for public safety issues, providing an effective and near real-time alternative for measuring compliance with evacuation orders. ..
- Burger J, Gochfeld M, Pittfield T, Jeitner C. Responses of a vulnerable Hispanic population in New Jersey to Hurricane Sandy: Access to care, medical needs, concerns, and ecological ratings. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2017;80:315-325 pubmed publisher..These ratings may aid public policymakers and planners in developing resiliency strategies for vulnerable coastal communities. ..
- Mielke H, Gonzales C, Powell E. Soil Lead and Children's Blood Lead Disparities in Pre- and Post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans (USA). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Primary prevention of lead exposure can be accomplished by reducing soil lead in the urban environment. ..
- Russell J, Stjernman M, LindstrÃ¶m Ã, Smith H. Community occupancy before-after-control-impact (CO-BACI) analysis of Hurricane Gudrun on Swedish forest birds. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:685-94 pubmed