Summary: Any of several processes for the permanent or long-term artificial or natural capture or removal and storage of carbon dioxide and other forms of carbon, through biological, chemical or physical processes, in a manner that prevents it from being released into the atmosphere.
- Yu Y, Chen J, Yang X, Fan W, Li M, He L. Influence of site index on the relationship between forest net primary productivity and stand age. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177084 pubmed publisher..These differences have implications on the methodology for estimating the spatial distribution of forest carbon sources and sinks. ..
- Trusler J. Thermophysical Properties and Phase Behavior of Fluids for Application in Carbon Capture and Storage Processes. Annu Rev Chem Biomol Eng. 2017;8:381-402 pubmed publisher..The engineering community would benefit from the further development, and delivery in convenient form, of a small number of these models sufficient to encompass the component slate and operating conditions of CCS processes. ..
- Deyanova D, Gullström M, Lyimo L, Dahl M, Hamisi M, Mtolera M, et al. Contribution of seagrass plants to CO2 capture in a tropical seagrass meadow under experimental disturbance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181386 pubmed publisher..This might in turn have long-lasting and devastating effects on important ecosystem functions, including the carbon sequestration capacity of the seagrass system.
- Xu X, Zhao Y, Sima J, Zhao L, Mašek O, Cao X. Indispensable role of biochar-inherent mineral constituents in its environmental applications: A review. Bioresour Technol. 2017;241:887-899 pubmed publisher..thus far have mainly focused on multiple environmental and agronomic applications of biochar, including carbon sequestration, soil improvement, environmental remediation, etc...
- Lerner A, Zuluaga A, Chara J, Etter A, Searchinger T. Sustainable Cattle Ranching in Practice: Moving from Theory to Planning in Colombia's Livestock Sector. Environ Manage. 2017;60:176-184 pubmed publisher..This approach can be used in other contexts across the world where there is a need to incorporate cattle production into national goals for carbon sequestration and habitat restoration and conservation.
- Githaiga M, Kairo J, Gilpin L, Huxham M. Carbon storage in the seagrass meadows of Gazi Bay, Kenya. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177001 pubmed publisher..5-7.3 Mg C ha-1. To our knowledge, these are among the first results on seagrass sediment Corg to be reported from African seagrass beds; and contribute towards our understanding of the role of seagrass in global carbon dynamics. ..
- Lugato E, Paniagua L, Jones A, de Vries W, Leip A. Complementing the topsoil information of the Land Use/Land Cover Area Frame Survey (LUCAS) with modelled N2O emissions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176111 pubmed publisher..be retrieved from LUCAS points for monitoring the environmental status of agroecosystems and assessing soil carbon sequestration, a fundamental aspect relating to climate change action is missing, namely nitrous oxide (N2O) soil ..
- Majidzadeh H, Lockaby B, Governo R. Effect of home construction on soil carbon storage-A chronosequence case study. Environ Pollut. 2017;226:317-323 pubmed publisher..Microbial biomass carbon (MBC), and nitrogen (MBN) were significantly lower below the homes compared to the urban lawns, while bulk density and phosphorus content were higher beneath the homes. ..
- Campbell J, Berry J, Seibt U, Smith S, Montzka S, Launois T, et al. Large historical growth in global terrestrial gross primary production. Nature. 2017;544:84-87 pubmed publisher..Although this COS analysis does not directly constrain models of future GPP growth, it does provide a global-scale benchmark for historical carbon-cycle simulations. ..
- Bellassen V, Luyssaert S. Carbon sequestration: managing forests in uncertain times. Nature. 2014;506:153-5 pubmed
- Freedman A, Tan B, Thompson J. Microbial potential for carbon and nutrient cycling in a geogenic supercritical carbon dioxide reservoir. Environ Microbiol. 2017;19:2228-2245 pubmed publisher..may be expected to influence the fate of injected supercritical (sc) CO2 following geological carbon sequestration (GCS)...
- Shao C, Chen J, Chu H, Lafortezza R, Dong G, Abraha M, et al. Grassland productivity and carbon sequestration in Mongolian grasslands: The underlying mechanisms and nomadic implications. Environ Res. 2017;159:124-134 pubmed publisher..This study implies that diverse grassland ecosystems will respond differently to climate change in the future and can be seen as nature-based solutions (NBS) supporting climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies. ..