Summary: The cycle by which the element carbon is exchanged between organic matter and the earth's physical environment.
- Piper F, Sepúlveda P, Bustos Salazar A, Zúñiga Feest A. Carbon allocation to growth and storage in two evergreen species of contrasting successional status. Am J Bot. 2017;104:654-662 pubmed publisher..globulus prioritized C storage instead of growth, whereas L. apiculata prioritized growth and lateral branching. Our results suggest that shade tolerance depends on efficient light capture rather than C conservation traits. ..
- De Mandal S, Chatterjee R, Kumar N. Dominant bacterial phyla in caves and their predicted functional roles in C and N cycle. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:90 pubmed publisher..These results will be useful in documenting the biospeleology of this region and systematic understanding of bacterial communities in natural sediment environments as well. ..
- Yu Y, Chen J, Yang X, Fan W, Li M, He L. Influence of site index on the relationship between forest net primary productivity and stand age. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177084 pubmed publisher..These differences have implications on the methodology for estimating the spatial distribution of forest carbon sources and sinks. ..
- Shao C, Chen J, Chu H, Lafortezza R, Dong G, Abraha M, et al. Grassland productivity and carbon sequestration in Mongolian grasslands: The underlying mechanisms and nomadic implications. Environ Res. 2017;159:124-134 pubmed publisher..This study implies that diverse grassland ecosystems will respond differently to climate change in the future and can be seen as nature-based solutions (NBS) supporting climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies. ..
- Chen Y, Li J, Ju W, Ruan H, Qin Z, Huang Y, et al. Quantitative assessments of water-use efficiency in Temperate Eurasian Steppe along an aridity gradient. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179875 pubmed publisher..This study could facilitate the understanding of the interactions between terrestrial carbon and water cycles, and thus contribute to a sustainable management of nature resources in the dryland ecosystems. ..
- Brocks J, Jarrett A, Sirantoine E, Hallmann C, Hoshino Y, Liyanage T. The rise of algae in Cryogenian oceans and the emergence of animals. Nature. 2017;548:578-581 pubmed publisher..This effect is recorded by the concomitant appearance of biomarkers for sponges and predatory rhizarians, and the subsequent radiation of eumetazoans in the Ediacaran period. ..
- Piccini I, Arnieri F, Caprio E, Nervo B, Pelissetti S, Palestrini C, et al. Greenhouse gas emissions from dung pats vary with dung beetle species and with assemblage composition. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178077 pubmed publisher..As the mix of multiple species proved the most effective in reducing CO2-equivalents, the conservation of diverse assemblages of dung beetles emerges as a priority in agro-pastoral ecosystems. ..
- Li F, Wang L, Zhao Y. Evolvement rules of basin flood risk under low-carbon mode. Part I: response of soil organic carbon to land use change and its influence on land use planning in the Haihe basin. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:377 pubmed publisherSoil organic carbon (SOC) plays an important role in the global carbon cycle. The aim of this study was to evaluate the response of SOC to land use change and its influence on land use planning in the Haihe basin, and provide planning ..
- ..In this Quick Guide, Votier and Sherley explain how diverse seabirds play important roles in ecosystem functioning, global nutrient cycling and climate regulation, but are declining in the face of multiple threats. ..
- Cleveland C, Reed S, Keller A, Nemergut D, O Neill S, Ostertag R, et al. Litter quality versus soil microbial community controls over decomposition: a quantitative analysis. Oecologia. 2014;174:283-94 pubmed