Genomes and Genes
Summary: Measurable and quantifiable biological parameters (e.g., specific enzyme concentration, specific hormone concentration, specific gene phenotype distribution in a population, presence of biological substances) which serve as indices for health- and physiology-related assessments, such as disease risk, psychiatric disorders, ENVIRONMENTAL EXPOSURE and its effects, disease diagnosis; METABOLIC PROCESSES; SUBSTANCE ABUSE; PREGNANCY; cell line development; EPIDEMIOLOGIC STUDIES; etc.
- Reddel H, Taylor D, Bateman E, Boulet L, Boushey H, Busse W, et al. An official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement: asthma control and exacerbations: standardizing endpoints for clinical asthma trials and clinical practice. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:59-99 pubmed publisher..The review focused on diary variables, physiologic measurements, composite scores, biomarkers, quality of life questionnaires, and indirect measures...
- Bagshaw S, Brophy P, Cruz D, Ronco C. Fluid balance as a biomarker: impact of fluid overload on outcome in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury. Crit Care. 2008;12:169 pubmed publisher..In this commentary, we discuss these findings within the context of prior literature and propose that assessment of fluid balance should be considered as a potentially valuable biomarker of critical illness. ..
- Tseng T, Liu C, Su T, Yang W, Chen C, Yang H, et al. Fibrosis-4 Index Helps Identify HBV Carriers With the Lowest Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1564-1574 pubmed publisher..In non-cirrhotic patients with chronic HBV infection, FIB-4 index <1.29 complements the existing clinical profile to define patients with the lowest HCC risk. ..
- Oh H, Grinberg Bleyer Y, Liao W, Maloney D, Wang P, Wu Z, et al. An NF-ÎºB Transcription-Factor-Dependent Lineage-Specific Transcriptional Program Promotes Regulatory T Cell Identity and Function. Immunity. 2017;47:450-465.e5 pubmed publisher..These dual roles of canonical NF-ÎºB in Tconv and Treg cells highlight the functional plasticity of the NF-ÎºB signaling pathway and underscores the need for more selective strategies to therapeutically target NF-ÎºB. ..
- Ma G, Pan J, Han J, Gao L, Zhang S, Li R. Identification of M. tuberculosis antigens in the sera of tuberculosis patients using biomimetic affinity chromatography in conjunction with ESI-CID-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1061-1062:452-458 pubmed publisher..in host cells using mass spectrometry (MS) analysis is a classical approach for screening disease-associated biomarkers in clinical diagnosis...
- Johnson M, Alarhayem A, Convertino V, Carter R, Chung K, Stewart R, et al. Comparison of compensatory reserve and arterial lactate as markers of shock and resuscitation. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:603-608 pubmed publisher..73 (p < 0.01). CRI performed with equivalent predictive capacity to lactate with respect to identifying initial perfusion status associated with hemorrhage and subsequent resuscitation. Diagnostic, Level II. ..
- Yokokawa T, Ichijo Y, Houtsuki Y, Matsumoto Y, Oikawa M, Yoshihisa A, et al. Change of Exhaled Acetone Concentration in a Diabetic Patient with Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Int Heart J. 2017;58:828-830 pubmed publisher..623 ppm at admission to 0.664 ppm at discharge. This is the first report to reveal a change of exhaled acetone concentration in a diabetic patient with acute decompensated heart failure...
- Fernandez Bueno I, Jones R, Soriano Romaní L, López García A, Galvin O, Cheetham S, et al. Histologic Characterization of Retina Neuroglia Modifications in Diabetic Zucker Diabetic Fatty Rats. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4925-4933 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to characterize retinal degenerative morphologic modifications in Zucker Diabetic Fatty (ZDF) rats, a genetic model of type 2 diabetes, by histologic and immunohistochemical evaluation...
- Monsuez J, Pham T, Karam N, Amar L, Chicheportiche Ayache C, MenaschÃ© P, et al. Awareness of Individual Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Self-Perception of Cardiovascular Risk in Women. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:240-245 pubmed publisher..8% were at low, 25.2% at moderate and 33.8% at high risk. Knowledge of CVRFs and self-perception of individual risk are inaccurate in women. Educational interventions should be emphasized. ..
- Wong J, Hu W, Downward G, Seow W, Bassig B, Ji B, et al. Personal exposure to fine particulate matter and benzo[a]pyrene from indoor air pollution and leukocyte mitochondrial DNA copy number in rural China. Carcinogenesis. 2017;38:893-899 pubmed publisher..Exposure to PM2.5 and BaP may alter mitochondrial dynamics in non-smoking Chinese women. MtDNAcn may be a potential mediator of indoor air pollution on chronic disease development. ..
- Shetty R, Sharma A, Pahuja N, Chevour P, Padmajan N, Dhamodaran K, et al. Oxidative stress induces dysregulated autophagy in corneal epithelium of keratoconus patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184628 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that an altered expression of proteins suggestive of defective autophagy and is a consequence of oxidative damage. This could play a possible role in the pathogenesis of KC. ..
- Wu C, Chen H, Chen S, Chiang S, Wu K. Elevation in and persistence of multiple urinary biomarkers indicative of oxidative DNA stress and inflammation: Toxicological implications of maleic acid consumption using a rat model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183675 pubmed publisher..05). Additionally, increases in concentration of these biomarkers persist for days after consumption; male rats appear to be more sensitive to oxidative burden compared to their ..
- Alshweki A, Pérez Muñuzuri A, López Suárez O, Baña A, Couce M. Relevance of urinary S100B protein levels as a short-term prognostic biomarker in asphyxiated infants treated with hypothermia. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8453 pubmed publisher..The use of biomarkers to monitor brain injury and evaluate neuroprotective effects allows early intervention and treatment...
- Nguyen K, Peer N, de Villiers A, Mukasa B, Matsha T, Mills E, et al. Optimal waist circumference threshold for diagnosing metabolic syndrome in African people living with HIV infection. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183029 pubmed publisher..A single threshold of 90 cm for both genders would be a practical suggestion. ..
- Zhang Y, Yang Q, Guo F, Chen X, Xie L. Link between neurodegeneration and trabecular meshwork injury in glaucomatous patients. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:223 pubmed publisherGlaucoma is classified as a neurodegenerative disease. However, the biomarkers of neurodegeneration in the aqueous humour of primary open angle glaucoma (POAG) eyes have not been quantitatively examined yet...
- Jia H, Yu M, Ma L, Zhang H, Zou Z. Chaihu-Shu-Gan-San regulates phospholipids and bile acid metabolism against hepatic injury induced by chronic unpredictable stress in rat. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2017;1064:14-21 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that CSGS improved 8 of the 18 perturbed potential biomarkers in liver tissues of rats treated with CUMS, and involved in regulating phospholipids and bile acid metabolism ..
- Vermeulen C, Geeven G, de Wit E, Verstegen M, Jansen R, van Kranenburg M, et al. Sensitive Monogenic Noninvasive Prenatal Diagnosis by Targeted Haplotyping. Am J Hum Genet. 2017;101:326-339 pubmed publisher..MG-NIPD is a robust method that requires standard instrumentation and can be implemented in any clinic to provide families carrying a severe monogenic disease with a prenatal diagnostic test based on a simple blood draw. ..
- Ben Harosh Y, Anosov M, Salem H, Yatchenko Y, Birk R. Pancreatic stellate cell activation is regulated by fatty acids and ER stress. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:76-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, dietary FA composition should be considered and optimized to regulate PSC activation and differentiation in pancreatic pathologies. ..
- Sokoya M, Ramakrishnan V, Frank D, Rahkola J, Getz A, Kingdom T, et al. Expression of immunoglobulin D is increased in chronic rhinosinusitis. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2017;119:317-323.e1 pubmed publisher..That IgD protein also shows the lowest concentration of antibodies in secretions suggests that its activity might be targeted to the tissue rather than secretions. ..
- Uppal K, Salinas J, Monteiro W, Val F, Cordy R, Liu K, et al. Plasma metabolomics reveals membrane lipids, aspartate/asparagine and nucleotide metabolism pathway differences associated with chloroquine resistance in Plasmodium vivax malaria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182819 pubmed publisher..vivax (PvCR) malaria in the Western Pacific region, Asia and in the Americas indicates a need for biomarkers of resistance to improve therapy and enhance understanding of the mechanisms associated with PvCR...
- Galderisi A, Facchinetti A, Steil G, Ortiz Rubio P, Cavallin F, Tamborlane W, et al. Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Very Preterm Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..2% vs 27.9% ± 5.0%; P < .001). CGM-guided glucose titration can successfully increase the time spent in euglycemic range, reduce hypoglycemia, and minimize glycemic variability in preterm infants during the first week of life. ..
- Hossain N, Puchakayala B, Kanwar P, Verma S, Abraham G, Ivanov Z, et al. Risk Factor Analysis Between Newly Screened and Established Hepatitis C in GI and Hepatology Clinics. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:3193-3199 pubmed publisher..Future studies evaluating addition of other screening strategies or possibly universal screening may be needed. ..
- Thompson K, Hosking H, Pederick W, Singh I, Santhakumar A. The effect of anthocyanin supplementation in modulating platelet function in sedentary population: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:368-374 pubmed publisher..b>Biomarkers of thrombogenesis and platelet activation induced by ADP; platelet aggregation induced by ADP, collagen and ..
- Oh E, Fong T, Hshieh T, Inouye S. Delirium in Older Persons: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment. JAMA. 2017;318:1161-1174 pubmed publisher..Although often underrecognized, delirium has serious adverse effects on the individual's function and quality of life, as well as broad societal effects with substantial health care costs...
- Chisholm J, Gareau A, Byun S, Paletz J, Tang D, Williams J, et al. Effect of Compound 21, a Selective Angiotensin II Type 2 Receptor Agonist, in a Murine Xenograft Model of Dupuytren Disease. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:686e-696e pubmed publisher..The authors investigated the potential use of compound 21 in the treatment of Dupuytren disease...
- Maeda A, Ando H, Ura T, Muro K, Aoki M, Saito K, et al. Differences in Urinary Renal Failure Biomarkers in Cancer Patients Initially Treated with Cisplatin. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:5235-5239 pubmed..Conversely, all markers were significantly higher 5 days after receiving chemotherapy in the CDDP group when compared to baseline. Urinary NAG, Kim-1, and NGAL can detect renal injury more sensitively than sCr. ..
- Calderon Garciduenas L, Reynoso Robles R, Perez Guille B, Mukherjee P, Gonzalez Maciel A. Combustion-derived nanoparticles, the neuroenteric system, cervical vagus, hyperphosphorylated alpha synuclein and tau in young Mexico City residents. Environ Res. 2017;159:186-201 pubmed publisher..Highly oxidative, ubiquitous CDNPs constitute a biologically plausible path into Parkinson's and Alzheimer's pathogenesis. ..
- Sun Y, Guo Y, Wang H, Chen Z, Wu Y, Shi H, et al. Differences in platelet-related parameters among patients with audiographically distinct sudden sensorineural hearing loss: A retrospective study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7877 pubmed publisher..Lower lymphocyte, higher MPV, and PLR may be indicative for the prognosis of HF-SSNHL patients; higher MPV may be related to bad treatment outcome of AF-SSNHL patients. ..
- Pankhurst M, Shorakae S, Rodgers R, Teede H, Moran L. Efficacy of predictive models for polycystic ovary syndrome using serum levels of two antimÃ¼llerian hormone isoforms (proAMH and AMHN,C). Fertil Steril. 2017;108:851-857.e2 pubmed publisher..However, the ratio of inactive proAMH precursor to receptor-competent AMHN,C (API) differs in women with PCOS relative to unaffected controls indicating that AMH signaling mechanisms may be altered in women with PCOS. ..
- Suzuki S, Ishikawa N, Konoeda F, Seki N, Fukushima S, Takahashi K, et al. Nivolumab-related myasthenia gravis with myositis and myocarditis in Japan. Neurology. 2017;89:1127-1134 pubmed publisher..Immune-related adverse events triggered by nivolumab impaired the patients' daily living activity. The prompt and correct recognition of MG following treatment with immune checkpoint inhibitors in patients with cancer is important. ..
- Qi L, Ma W, Heianza Y, Zheng Y, Wang T, Sun D, et al. Independent and Synergistic Associations of Biomarkers of Vitamin D Status With Risk of Coronary Heart Disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:2204-2212 pubmed publisherTo comprehensively evaluate the independent associations and potential interactions of vitamin D-related biomarkers including total and bioavailable 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD), VDBP (vitamin D binding protein), and parathyroid hormone (..
- Zhang C, Yu L, Liu S, Wang Y. Human amnion-derived mesenchymal stem cells promote osteogenic and angiogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186253 pubmed publisher..Thus, we conclude that HAMSC might be a valuable therapeutic approach to promote HASCs-involved bone regeneration...
- Song I, Roels S, Martens G, Bouwens L. Circulating microRNA-375 as biomarker of pancreatic beta cell death and protection of beta cell mass by cytoprotective compounds. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186480 pubmed publisher..These findings show the potential use of serological miR-375 measurements to evaluate the beta cytoprotective effect of (potential) antidiabetic drugs in vivo. ..
- Kwong B, Rua R, Gao Y, Flickinger J, Wang Y, Kruhlak M, et al. T-bet-dependent NKp46+ innate lymphoid cells regulate the onset of TH17-induced neuroinflammation. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:1117-1127 pubmed publisher..Our findings uncover a detrimental role of T-bet-dependent NKp46+ ILCs in the development of CNS autoimmune disease. ..
- Lee H, Liao C, Day Y, Liou J, Li A, Liu F. IL-17 deficiency attenuates acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Toxicol Lett. 2018;292:20-30 pubmed publisher..Blockade of IL-17 could be a potential therapeutic target for APAP-induced hepatotoxicity. ..
- Fujimura Y, Yamauchi Y, Murase T, Nakamura T, Fujita S, Fujisaka T, et al. Relationship between plasma xanthine oxidoreductase activity and left ventricular ejection fraction and hypertrophy among cardiac patients. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182699 pubmed publisher..Whether pharmaceutical modification of plasma XOR activity might inhibit cardiac remodeling and improve cardiovascular outcome should be investigated in future studies. ..
- Janmaat V, van Olphen S, Biermann K, Looijenga L, Bruno M, Spaander M. Use of immunohistochemical biomarkers as independent predictor of neoplastic progression in Barrett's oesophagus surveillance: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186305 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have undertaken a systematic review and meta-analysis of published studies on immunohistochemical (IHC) biomarkers in BE to determine the value of IHC biomarkers as neoplastic predictors in BE surveillance.
- Thompson D, Morrice N, Grant L, Le Sommer S, Lees E, Mody N, et al. Pharmacological inhibition of protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B protects against atherosclerotic plaque formation in the LDLR-/- mouse model of atherosclerosis. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:2489-2501 pubmed publisher..Our findings are the first to demonstrate that PTP1B inhibitors could be used in prevention and reversal of atherosclerosis development and reduction in CVD risk. ..
- Strehse J, Appel D, Geist C, Martin H, Maser E. Biomonitoring of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene and degradation products in the marine environment with transplanted blue mussels (M. edulis). Toxicology. 2017;390:117-123 pubmed publisher..Moreover, with this system, we unequivocally proved that these toxic explosives accumulate in the marine biota resp. in the marine food chain, thereby posing a possible risk to the marine ecosphere and human health. ..
- Ferreira R, Dougados M, Kirwan J, Duarte C, de Wit M, Soubrier M, et al. Drivers of patient global assessment in patients with rheumatoid arthritis who are close to remission: an analysis of 1588 patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2017;56:1573-1578 pubmed publisher..PGA in near-remission seems to be driven by physical rather than psychological domains. Selecting the best therapy for these patients requires a better understanding of the meaning of PGA, both globally and in individual patients. ..
- Song L, Li D, Wang J, Meng C, Cui X. Effects of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase on lung ischemia-reperfusion injury in diabetic rats. J Surg Res. 2017;216:9-17 pubmed publisher..Additionally, all of these alterations were attenuated in the DM + IR + SB203580 group compared with the DIR group. Diabetes exacerbates LIRI by activating the p38 MAPK pathway. ..
- Nguyen V, Truong C, Nguyen B, Vo T, Dao T, Nguyen V, et al. Anti-inflammatory and wound healing activities of calophyllolide isolated from Calophyllum inophyllum Linn. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185674 pubmed publisher..These findings may enable the utilization of CP as a potent therapeutic for cutaneous wound healing...
- van Ditzhuijzen N, Kurata M, van den Heuvel M, Sorop O, van Duin R, Krabbendam Peters I, et al. Neoatherosclerosis development following bioresorbable vascular scaffold implantation in diabetic and non-diabetic swine. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183419 pubmed publisher..20) and not associated with DM or inflammation. Scaffold coverage showed signs of neo-atherosclerosis in all FF-DM and FF-NDM swine, scaffold polymer was preserved and the vascular response to BVS was not influenced by diabetes. ..
- Linares P, Algaba A, Urzainqui A, Guijarro Rojas M, González Tajuelo R, Garrido J, et al. Ratio of Circulating Estrogen Receptors Beta and Alpha (ER?/ER?) Indicates Endoscopic Activity in Patients with Crohn's Disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:2744-2754 pubmed publisher..ER?/ER? ratio was not useful to predict UC activity. An ER?/ER? ratio under 0.85 indicated CD endoscopic activity. The determination of serum ER?/ER? might be a useful noninvasive screening tool for CD endoscopic activity. ..
- Lackermair K, Clauss S, Voigt T, Klier I, Summo C, Hildebrand B, et al. Alteration of Endothelin 1, MCP-1 and Chromogranin A in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing pulmonary vein isolation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184337 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the role of stress-related biomarkers in AF and AF treatment by ablation therapy.
- Li S, Zhang F, Cui Y, Wu M, Lee C, Song J, et al. Modified high-throughput quantification of plasma microRNAs in heparinized patients with coronary artery disease using heparinase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:556-561 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we present a simple method for the removal of heparin with heparinase I, and for the subsequent successful miRNAs TLDA or RT-qPCR amplification. ..