Summary: Mechanisms that prevent different populations from exchanging genes (GENE FLOW), resulting in or maintaining GENETIC SPECIATION. It can either prevent mating to take place or ensure that any offspring produced is either inviable or sterile, thereby preventing further REPRODUCTION.
- Arratia G, Vila I, Lam N, Guerrero C, Quezada Romegialli C. Morphological and taxonomic descriptions of a new genus and species of killifishes (Teleostei: Cyprinodontiformes) from the high Andes of northern Chile. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181989 pubmed publisher..There is high probability it will become extinct due to water demands and climate change in the region. ..
- Cruz Esteban S, Rojas J, Malo E. Calling Behavior, Copulation Time, and Reproductive Compatibility of Corn-Strain Fall Armyworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) From Populations in Mexico. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:901-906 pubmed publisher..showed variability in the timing of reproduction, the populations were not reproductively incompatible, which indicated that geographic distance has not led to reproductive isolation in corn-strain populations of S. frugiperda in Mexico.
- Parhad S, Tu S, Weng Z, Theurkauf W. Adaptive Evolution Leads to Cross-Species Incompatibility in the piRNA Transposon Silencing Machinery. Dev Cell. 2017;43:60-70.e5 pubmed publisherb>Reproductive isolation defines species divergence and is linked to adaptive evolution of hybrid incompatibility genes...
- Iglesias P, Hasson E. The role of courtship song in female mate choice in South American Cactophilic Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176119 pubmed publisher..has been suggested that sexual selection has played a significant role in promoting rapid diversification, reproductive isolation and speciation. However, there is no direct evidence (i.e...
- Guerrero R, Muir C, Josway S, Moyle L. Pervasive antagonistic interactions among hybrid incompatibility loci. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006817 pubmed publisher..and complexity of these genetic interactions can strongly affect the expression of interspecific reproductive isolation and the rates at which new species evolve...
- Igea J, Miller E, Papadopulos A, Tanentzap A. Seed size and its rate of evolution correlate with species diversification across angiosperms. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002792 pubmed publisher..seed mass changes across the angiosperm phylogeny may also be linked to diversification by increasing reproductive isolation and allowing access to novel ecological niches...