Genomes and Genes
Summary: Any normal or abnormal coloring matter in PLANTS; ANIMALS or micro-organisms.
- Ivanina A, Sokolova I, Sukhotin A. Oxidative stress and expression of chaperones in aging mollusks. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;150:53-61 pubmed publisher..In contrast, changes in cytosolic chaperones were species-specific. HSP70 increased and HSP90 declined with age in clams, whereas in oysters HSP70 expression did not change, and HSP90 increased with aging. ..
- Matsuura T, Hino M, Akutagawa S, Shimoyama Y, Kobayashi T, Taya Y, et al. Optical and paramagnetic properties of size-controlled ink particles isolated from Sepia officinalis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:2790-2 pubmed..These size-controlled ink particles are suitable for a basic study of melanin-related materials. ..
- Liu H, Probert I, Uitz J, Claustre H, Aris Brosou S, Frada M, et al. Extreme diversity in noncalcifying haptophytes explains a major pigment paradox in open oceans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12803-8 pubmed publisher..These results add to the growing evidence that the evolution of complex microbial eukaryotic cells is a critical force in the functioning of the biosphere. ..
- Singh S, Mishra S, Kumari R, Agrawal S. Response of ultraviolet-B and nickel on pigments, metabolites and antioxidants of Pisum sativum L. J Environ Biol. 2009;30:677-84 pubmed..sUV-B and Ni in combination acted synergistically with stimulation of CAT activity by 51.6%, additively on SOD activity with increase of 16.4%, while other parameters showed antagonistic action of both the stresses. ..
- Chakraborty P, Raghunadh Babu P, Acharyya T, Bandyopadhyay D. Stress and toxicity of biologically important transition metals (Co, Ni, Cu and Zn) on phytoplankton in a tropical freshwater system: An investigation with pigment analysis by HPLC. Chemosphere. 2010;80:548-53 pubmed publisher..Cyanobacteria were found to be very sensitive to slight variation in Ni concentration and Co was found to be less toxic than Cu and Zn even at high exposed concentration. ..
- Su Y, Teoh L, Lee J, Tu S, Hon M. Photoelectric characteristics of natural pigments self-assembly fabricated on TiO2/FTO substrate. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2009;9:960-4 pubmed..658 mA/cm2. The efficiency of the photoelectric conversion in water-based DSSC of natural pigment is up to 0.131%. The natural pigments in DSSC are potentially applicable to turning solar energy into environmentally-friendly energy. ..
- Ono E, Ruike M, Iwashita T, Nomoto K, Fukui Y. Co-pigmentation and flavonoid glycosyltransferases in blue Veronica persica flowers. Phytochemistry. 2010;71:726-35 pubmed publisher..Preferential expression of UGT88D8 and UGT94F1 genes in the petals supports the idea that these UGTs play an important role in the biosynthesis of key flavonoids responsible for the development of the blue color of V. persica flowers...
- Garab G, van Amerongen H. Linear dichroism and circular dichroism in photosynthesis research. Photosynth Res. 2009;101:135-46 pubmed publisher..This educational review explains, in simple terms, the basic physical principles, and theory and practice of LD and CD spectroscopies and of some related quantities in the areas of differential polarization spectroscopy and microscopy. ..
- Kumari H, Gupta S, Jindal S, Katoch P, Lal R. Sphingobium lactosutens sp. nov., isolated from a hexachlorocyclohexane dump site and Sphingobium abikonense sp. nov., isolated from oil-contaminated soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2291-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, two novel Sphingobium species are proposed, Sphingobium lactosutens sp. nov. (type strain, DS20T=CCM 7540T=MTCC 9471T) and Sphingobium abikonense sp. nov. (type strain, NBRC 16140T=IAM 12404T=KCTC 2864T). ..
- Xu X, Wu Y, Wang C, Wang X, Oren A, Wu M. Croceicoccus marinus gen. nov., sp. nov., a yellow-pigmented bacterium from deep-sea sediment, and emended description of the family Erythrobacteraceae. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2247-53 pubmed publisher..nov., sp. nov. is proposed; the type strain is E4A9T (=CGMCC 1.6776T=JCM 14846T). ..
- Jaeger R, Spiteller P. Mycenaaurin A, an antibacterial polyene pigment from the fruiting bodies of Mycena aurantiomarginata. J Nat Prod. 2010;73:1350-4 pubmed publisher..Mycenaaurin A (1) might act as a constitutive defense compound, since it exhibits antibacterial activity against the gram-positive bacterium Bacillus pumilus. ..
- Volent Z, Johnsen G, Sigernes F. Microscopic hyperspectral imaging used as a bio-optical taxonomic tool for micro- and macroalgae. Appl Opt. 2009;48:4170-6 pubmed..This information can be used for pigment group specific taxonomy (bio-optical taxonomy), eco-physiological information (e.g., health status), monitoring, and mapping applications. ..
- Suresh N. Effect of cadmium chloride on liver, spleen and kidney melano macrophage centres in Tilapia mossambica. J Environ Biol. 2009;30:505-8 pubmed..The average number and size of melano macrophage centres (MMC) were significantly increased compared with the control. It is evident in the present study that in the MMC of all three tissues examined lipofuscin is absent. ..
- Durmus M, Ahsen V. Water-soluble cationic gallium(III) and indium(III) phthalocyanines for photodynamic therapy. J Inorg Biochem. 2010;104:297-309 pubmed publisher..This study also presented the ionic gallium(III) and indium(III) phthalocyanines strongly bind to bovine serum albumin (BSA)...
- Karseno -, Harada K, Bamba T, Dwi S, Mahakhant A, Yoshikawa T, et al. Extracellular phycoerythrin-like protein released by freshwater cyanobacteria Oscillatoria and Scytonema sp. Biotechnol Lett. 2009;31:999-1003 pubmed publisher..The concentration at which growth inhibition 50% occurred was 0.5, 6 and more than 10 mg ml(-1), respectively. ..
- Solomon S. The eggshell: strength, structure and function. Br Poult Sci. 2010;51 Suppl 1:52-9 pubmed publisher..This is a route march of science enabled by advances in technology. ..
- Zheng Y, Xin Y, Shi X, Guo Y. Cytotoxicity of Monascus pigments and their derivatives to human cancer cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:9523-8 pubmed publisher..Rubropunctatin could be supplied as a precursor compound in the development of a new natural anticancer reagent. ..
- Bennett A, Hayssen V. Measuring cortisol in hair and saliva from dogs: coat color and pigment differences. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2010;39:171-80 pubmed publisher..This is the first evidence that hair of different colors might sequester cortisol differently. ..
- Roller J, Laschke M, Scheuer C, Menger M. Heme oxygenase (HO)-1 protects from lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-mediated liver injury by inhibition of hepatic leukocyte accumulation and improvement of microvascular perfusion. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2010;395:387-94 pubmed publisher..Our novel data indicate that induction of HO-1 protects the liver from LPS-mediated injury by reducing leukocytic inflammation and improving intrahepatic microcirculation. ..
- Vardhan Reddy P, Shiva Nageswara Rao S, Pratibha M, Sailaja B, Kavya B, Manorama R, et al. Bacterial diversity and bioprospecting for cold-active enzymes from culturable bacteria associated with sediment from a melt water stream of Midtre Lovenbreen glacier, an Arctic glacier. Res Microbiol. 2009;160:538-46 pubmed publisher..More than half of the isolates were pigmented. Fatty acid profile studies indicated that short-chain fatty acids, unsaturated fatty acids, branched fatty acids, cyclic and cis fatty acids are predominant in the psychrophilic bacteria. ..
- Rathod D, Patel V, Kaur A, Patel V, Patel D. Diagnosis of acute malaria by laser based cell counter with comparison of conventional and recent techniques in Indian scenario. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2009;52:185-8 pubmed..The sensitivity of DLL was low, particularly with a low parasitic index (PI). The number of PCEs does not correlate with the PI. The cut-off number of PCEs in DLL-based malaria detection should be modified in highly endemic areas. ..
- Roh S, Nam Y, Chang H, Kim K, Sung Y, Kim M, et al. Haloterrigena jeotgali sp. nov., an extremely halophilic archaeon from salt-fermented food. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2359-63 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain of the new species is A29T (=KCTC 4020T=DSM 18794T=JCM 14585T=CECT 7218T). ..
- Fan K, Jiang Y, Ho L, Chen F. Differentiation in fatty acid profiles of pigmented and nonpigmented Aurantiochytrium isolated from Hong Kong mangroves. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:6334-41 pubmed publisher..With a rapid growth rate and high DHA yield, the strain from the nonpigmented Aurantiochytrium group was regarded as the ideal candidate for PUFA production. ..
- Rawlence N, Wood J, Armstrong K, Cooper A. DNA content and distribution in ancient feathers and potential to reconstruct the plumage of extinct avian taxa. Proc Biol Sci. 2009;276:3395-402 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the coloration of the moa feathers is authentic, and computer software is used to perform plumage reconstructions of moa based on subfossil remains. ..
- Shintani A, Yamazaki H, Yamamoto Y, Ahmed F, Ishibashi M. Cribrarione C, a naphthoquinone pigment from the myxomycete Cribraria meylanii. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2009;57:894-5 pubmed..This compound (1) had been synthesized previously, while it was isolated here for the first time as a natural product, and its NMR and MS data are described in this study...
- Cao Y, Jiang Y, Wu J, Xu L, Jiang C. Actinopolymorpha alba sp. nov., isolated from a rhizosphere soil. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2009;59:2200-3 pubmed publisher..nov. is proposed. The type strain is YIM 48868T (=CCTCC AA 208030T=DSM 45243T). ..
- Yong Y, Zhong J. A genetically engineered whole-cell pigment-based bacterial biosensing system for quantification of N-butyryl homoserine lactone quorum sensing signal. Biosens Bioelectron. 2009;25:41-7 pubmed publisher..The new whole-cell biosensing system provided a simple, stable, toxic pollutants-tolerant, and cost-effective tool for quantitative investigation of the QS signals' role in environmental processes. ..
- Kong K, Khoo H, Prasad K, Ismail A, Tan C, Rajab N. Revealing the power of the natural red pigment lycopene. Molecules. 2010;15:959-87 pubmed publisher..However, information on the effect of food processing on lycopene stability and availability was discussed for better understanding of its characteristics. ..
- Mullen L, Vignieri S, Gore J, Hoekstra H. Adaptive basis of geographic variation: genetic, phenotypic and environmental differences among beach mouse populations. Proc Biol Sci. 2009;276:3809-18 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that natural selection for camouflage-via changes in Mc1r allele frequency-contributes to pigment differentiation among beach mouse subspecies. ..
- Yoshimura H, Kaneko Y, Ehira S, Yoshihara S, Ikeuchi M, Ohmori M. CccS and CccP are involved in construction of cell surface components in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803. Plant Cell Physiol. 2010;51:1163-72 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the cccS and cccP genes are involved in the construction of cell surface components in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803. ..
- Marco H, Gäde G. Biological activity of the predicted red pigment-concentrating hormone of Daphnia pulex in a crustacean and an insect. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;166:104-10 pubmed publisher..Dappu-RPCH with its three substitutions is not active at all in the shrimp at the tested concentration range of up to 30 pmol. ..
- Seo W, Ryu Y, Curtis Long M, Lee C, Ryu H, Jang K, et al. Evaluation of anti-pigmentary effect of synthetic sulfonylamino chalcone. Eur J Med Chem. 2010;45:2010-7 pubmed publisher..The Western blot for expression levels of proteins involved in melanogenesis showed that TSAHC significantly decreased three main tyrosinase related protein in melanin biosynthesis, tyrosinase, TRP-1 and TRP-2. ..
- Li H, Han S, Wang X, Ma X, Zhang K, Wang L, et al. Effect of the carthamins yellow from Carthamus tinctorius L. on hemorheological disorders of blood stasis in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2009;47:1797-802 pubmed publisher..However the small amounts used in food are highly unlikely to cause adverse effects. ..
- Duman F, Ozturk F, Aydin Z. Biological responses of duckweed (Lemna minor L.) exposed to the inorganic arsenic species As(III) and As(V): effects of concentration and duration of exposure. Ecotoxicology. 2010;19:983-93 pubmed publisher..The findings of the present study may be useful when this plant is used as a phytoremediator in arsenic-polluted water. ..
- Belyaeva O, Litvin F. Pathways of formation of pigment forms at the terminal photobiochemical stage of chlorophyll biosynthesis. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2009;74:1535-44 pubmed..Data are presented of features of the process at different stages of the formation of the pigment apparatus of plants. ..
- Alihosseini F, Lango J, Ju K, Hammock B, Sun G. Mutation of bacterium Vibrio gazogenes for selective preparation of colorants. Biotechnol Prog. 2010;26:352-60 pubmed publisher..The antibiotic activities of pure colorants are discussed as well. Based on their bio-activity and excellent dyeing capabilities, these colorants could be employed in cosmetic and textile industries. ..
- Glover B, Whitney H. Structural colour and iridescence in plants: the poorly studied relations of pigment colour. Ann Bot. 2010;105:505-11 pubmed publisher..Structural colour may be surprisingly frequent in the plant kingdom, playing important roles alongside pigment colour. Much remains to be discovered about its distribution, development and function. ..
- Manes S, Gradinger R. Small scale vertical gradients of Arctic ice algal photophysiological properties. Photosynth Res. 2009;102:53-66 pubmed publisher..In conclusion,photosynthetic performance by ice algae (as assessed by PAM fluorometry) was tightly linked to sea ice salinity, temperature, and inorganic nutrient concentrations (mainly nitrogen). ..
- Abebe T, Melmaiee K, Berg V, Wise R. Drought response in the spikes of barley: gene expression in the lemma, palea, awn, and seed. Funct Integr Genomics. 2010;10:191-205 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the lemma and the palea are more resistant to drought stress compared with the awn. ..
- Tsukatani Y, Wen J, Blankenship R, Bryant D. Characterization of the FMO protein from the aerobic chlorophototroph, Candidatus Chloracidobacterium thermophilum. Photosynth Res. 2010;104:201-9 pubmed publisher..The results imply that, without changing pigment composition or structure dramatically, the FMO protein has acquired properties that allow it to perform light harvesting efficiently under aerobic conditions. ..
- Kang N, Jeong H, Moestrup Ø, Shin W, Nam S, Park J, et al. Description of a new planktonic mixotrophic dinoflagellate Paragymnodinium shiwhaense n. gen., n. sp. from the coastal waters off Western Korea: morphology, pigments, and ribosomal DNA gene sequence. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2010;57:121-44 pubmed publisher..In addition, P. shiwhaense does not have ocelloids in contrast to Warnowia spp. and Nematodinium spp. Therefore, based on morphological and molecular analyses, we suggest that this taxon is a new species, also within a new genus. ..
- Kantarcioglu A, Summerbell R, Sutton D, Yücell A, Sarikaya E, Kaner G, et al. A dark strain in the Fusarium solani species complex isolated from primary subcutaneous sporotrichioid lesions associated with traumatic inoculation via a rose bush thorn. Med Mycol. 2010;48:103-9 pubmed publisher..A cure was ultimately achieved with combined terbinafine/itraconazole therapy with prolonged itraconazole follow-up therapy. ..
- Cote J, Arnoux E, Sorci G, Gaillard M, Faivre B. Age-dependent allocation of carotenoids to coloration versus antioxidant defences. J Exp Biol. 2010;213:271-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that old individuals pay an extra cost of immune activation possibly because the efficiency of antioxidant machinery varies with age...
- Quijada Morín N, Dangles O, Rivas Gonzalo J, Escribano Bailón M. Physico-chemical and chromatic characterization of malvidin 3-glucoside-vinylcatechol and malvidin 3-glucoside-vinylguaiacol wine pigments. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:9744-52 pubmed publisher..The huge increase in the absorption of the pyranoflavylium ion of PA2 when it binds catechin has no equivalent for anthocyanins and nicely outlines the potential of pyranoanthocyanins in the expression of natural colors. ..
- Tachtsidis I, Gao L, Leung T, Kohl Bareis M, Cooper C, Elwell C. A hybrid multi-distance phase and broadband spatially resolved spectrometer and algorithm for resolving absolute concentrations of chromophores in the near-infrared light spectrum. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;662:169-75 pubmed publisher..Preliminary results in solid phantoms as well as liquid dynamic homogeneous and inhomogeneous phantoms and in-vivo muscle measurements showed encouraging results. ..
- Kumar M, Kumari P, Gupta V, Anisha P, Reddy C, Jha B. Differential responses to cadmium induced oxidative stress in marine macroalga Ulva lactuca (Ulvales, Chlorophyta). Biometals. 2010;23:315-25 pubmed publisher..Induction of antioxidant enzymes and LOX isoforms together with storage of putrescine and n - 6 PUFAs in cadmium exposed thallus in the present study reveal their potential role in Cd(2+) induced oxidative stress in U. lactuca...
- Nishihara M, Nakatsuka T. Genetic engineering of novel flower colors in floricultural plants: recent advances via transgenic approaches. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;589:325-47 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, genetic engineering of flower color for improvement of floricultural plants is discussed. ..
- Affenzeller M, Darehshouri A, Andosch A, Lütz C, Lütz Meindl U. Salt stress-induced cell death in the unicellular green alga Micrasterias denticulata. J Exp Bot. 2009;60:939-54 pubmed publisher..Respiration, photosynthetic activity, and pigment composition indicated an active metabolism which supports programmed rather than necrotic cell death in Micrasterias after salt stress. ..