Genomes and Genes
Summary: The process of cumulative change over successive generations through which organisms acquire their distinguishing morphological and physiological characteristics.
- Castagnone Sereno P, Danchin E. Parasitic success without sex – the nematode experience. J Evol Biol. 2014;27:1323-33 pubmed..This will undoubtedly promote the entire genus as a unique and valuable model system to help deciphering the evolution of asexual reproduction in eukaryotes. ..
- Jeler C. Is there such a thing as "group selection" in the, contextual analysis framework?. Hist Philos Life Sci. 2015;36:484-502 pubmed
- Zhao J, Favero D, Qiu J, Roalson E, Neff M. Insights into the evolution and diversification of the AT-hook Motif Nuclear Localized gene family in land plants. BMC Plant Biol. 2014;14:266 pubmed publisher..The information gleaned from this study, in turn, has the potential to be utilized to further improve crop production. ..
- Rutherford S, Bonser S, Wilson P, Rossetto M. Seedling response to environmental variability: The relationship between phenotypic plasticity and evolutionary history in closely related Eucalyptus species. Am J Bot. 2017;104:840-857 pubmed publisher..Because of the high number of rare species and that other species are commercially important, a more comprehensive understanding of plasticity is essential for predicting their response to changing climates. ..
- Mathis R, Ackermann M. Asymmetric cellular memory in bacteria exposed to antibiotics. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:73 pubmed publisher..Our results raise the question whether bacteria can evolve the ability to form and use cellular memory conditionally in situations where it is beneficial. ..
- Niehus R, Picot A, Oliveira N, Mitri S, Foster K. The evolution of siderophore production as a competitive trait. Evolution. 2017;71:1443-1455 pubmed publisher..Although siderophores can act as a cooperative good for single genotypes, we argue that their role in competition is fundamental to understanding their biology...
- Shtein I, Shelef Y, Marom Z, Zelinger E, Schwartz A, Popper Z, et al. Stomatal cell wall composition: distinctive structural patterns associated with different phylogenetic groups. Ann Bot. 2017;119:1021-1033 pubmed publisher..Such taxon-specific spatial patterns of cell wall components could imply different biomechanical functions, which in turn could be a consequence of differences in environmental selection along the course of plant evolution. ..
- Chavali S, Chavali P, Chalancon G, de Groot N, Gemayel R, Latysheva N, et al. Constraints and consequences of the emergence of amino acid repeats in eukaryotic proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2017;24:765-777 pubmed publisher..Their presence facilitates rapid exploration of the genotype-phenotype landscape of a population, thereby contributing to adaptation and fitness. ..
- Chalopin D, Volff J. Analysis of the spotted gar genome suggests absence of causative link between ancestral genome duplication and transposable element diversification in teleost fish. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2017;328:629-637 pubmed publisher..We propose that about 25 distinct superfamilies of TEs were present in the last ancestor of gars and teleost fish about 300 million years ago in the ray-finned fish lineage. ..
- Mujal E, Fortuny J, Bolet A, Oms O, López J. An archosauromorph dominated ichnoassemblage in fluvial settings from the late Early Triassic of the Catalan Pyrenees (NE Iberian Peninsula). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174693 pubmed publisher..Archosauromorphs radiated and diversified through the Triassic vertebrate recovery, which ultimately lead to the archosaur and dinosaur dominance of the Mesozoic. ..
- Waese J, Provart N, Guttman D. Topo-phylogeny: Visualizing evolutionary relationships on a topographic landscape. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175895 pubmed publisher..This tool was developed for exploring phylogenetic data, but the technique could be extended for visualizing other hierarchical structures as well. ..
- Schuster A, Lopez J, Becking L, Kelly M, Pomponi S, Worheide G, et al. Evolution of group I introns in Porifera: new evidence for intron mobility and implications for DNA barcoding. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:82 pubmed publisher..Our analyses confirm that most sponge group I introns probably originated from fungi. DNA barcoding is discussed and the application of alternative primers suggested. ..
- Peredo C, Pyenson N, Uhen M, Marshall C. Alveoli, teeth, and tooth loss: Understanding the homology of internal mandibular structures in mysticete cetaceans. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178243 pubmed publisher..As a functional explanation, we propose that these branches provide sensation to the dorsal margin of the mandible to facilitate placement and occlusion of the baleen plates during filer feeding. ..
- Cuypers T, Rutten J, Hogeweg P. Evolution of evolvability and phenotypic plasticity in virtual cells. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:60 pubmed publisher..Moreover, after continued evolution, evolvability can be a viable alternative with comparable fitness to regulated phenotypic plasticity in all but the most rapidly changing environments. ..
- Igea J, Miller E, Papadopulos A, Tanentzap A. Seed size and its rate of evolution correlate with species diversification across angiosperms. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002792 pubmed publisher..Our study now reveals that variation in morphological traits and, importantly, the rate at which they evolve can contribute to explaining the extremely uneven distribution of diversity across the ToL. ..
- Lombardi S, Santini G, Marchetti G, Focardi S. Generalized structural equations improve sexual-selection analyses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181305 pubmed publisher..In synthesis, we recommend the use of GSEMs in studies on lekking behaviour, and we provide guidelines to implement these models. ..
- Joshi J, Couzin I, Levin S, Guttal V. Mobility can promote the evolution of cooperation via emergent self-assortment dynamics. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005732 pubmed publisher..Our results offer insights into differential adhesion based mechanisms for positive assortment and reveal the possibility of cooperative aggregations in dynamic fission-fusion populations. ..
- Aiglstorfer M, Costeur L, Mennecart B, Heizmann E. Micromeryx? eiselei-A new moschid species from Steinheim am Albuch, Germany, and the first comprehensive description of moschid cranial material from the Miocene of Central Europe. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185679 pubmed publisher..The two taxa can be clearly distinguished by characters of the skull, the ear region, the dentition, as well as by size. This evidences the sympatric occurrence of two moschid species in the locality Steinheim am Albuch...
- Reid N, Whitehead A. Functional genomics to assess biological responses to marine pollution at physiological and evolutionary timescales: toward a vision of predictive ecotoxicology. Brief Funct Genomics. 2016;15:358-64 pubmed publisher..We finish by integrating these paradigms into a vision of how genomics approaches could anchor a modernized framework for advancing the predictive capacity of environmental and ecotoxicological science. ..
- Schwartz R, Schäffer A. The evolution of tumour phylogenetics: principles and practice. Nat Rev Genet. 2017;18:213-229 pubmed publisher..We survey the range of methods and tools available to the researcher, their key applications, and the various unsolved problems, closing with a perspective on the prospects and broader implications of this field. ..
- Fuse Y, Kobayashi M. Conservation of the Keap1-Nrf2 System: An Evolutionary Journey through Stressful Space and Time. Molecules. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..This combinatorial approach using both experimental and genetic data will suggest perspectives of approach for researchers studying the stress response. ..
- Garwood R, Dunlop J, Knecht B, Hegna T. The phylogeny of fossil whip spiders. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:105 pubmed publisher..Overall, we offer a broad phylogenetic framework for both the fossil and Recent whip spiders against which future discoveries can be tested. ..
- Hidalgo Galiana A, Sánchez Fernández D, Bilton D, Cieslak A, Ribera I. Thermal niche evolution and geographical range expansion in a species complex of western Mediterranean diving beetles. BMC Evol Biol. 2014;14:187 pubmed publisher..Our work highlights the complex dynamics of speciation and range expansions within southern areas during the last glacial cycle, and points to the often neglected role of North Africa as a source of European biodiversity. ..
- Dunlop E, Eikeset A, Stenseth N. From genes to populations: how fisheries-induced evolution alters stock productivity. Ecol Appl. 2015;25:1860-8 pubmed..These results explain how evolution increases stock resilience, but also impedes recovery after periods of intense harvesting. ..
- Yan C, Mou B, Meng Y, Tu F, Fan Z, Price M, et al. A novel mitochondrial genome of Arborophila and new insight into Arborophila evolutionary history. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181649 pubmed publisher..It is unclear of the biological advantages of this elimination for the relevant taxa and this requires further investigation. ..
- Murray R, Herridge E, Ness R, Bussière L. Are sex ratio distorting endosymbionts responsible for mating system variation among dance flies (Diptera: Empidinae)?. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178364 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the current distribution of endosymbiont infections is unlikely to explain the diversity in mating systems among dance fly species. ..
- Hanson S, Wolfe K. An Evolutionary Perspective on Yeast Mating-Type Switching. Genetics. 2017;206:9-32 pubmed publisher..polymorpha and Komagataella phaffii We focus on some key questions: Which cells switch mating type? What molecular apparatus is required for switching? Where did it come from? And what is the evolutionary purpose of switching? ..
- Minicka J, Elena S, Borodynko Filas N, Rubis B, Hasiów Jaroszewska B. Strain-dependent mutational effects for Pepino mosaic virus in a natural host. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:67 pubmed publisher..We also found that fitness consequences of a given mutation differ between the two strains analyzed. This discovery suggests that the strength of selection, and thus the rates of evolution, vary among PepMV strains. ..
- Cerda I, Chinsamy A, Pol D, Apaldetti C, Otero A, Powell J, et al. Novel insight into the origin of the growth dynamics of sauropod dinosaurs. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179707 pubmed publisher..Among the sauropodomorpha it appears that the basal taxa exploited different growth strategies, but the more derived Eusauropoda successfully utilized rapid, uninterrupted growth strategies. ..
- López Olmos K, Markow T, Machado C. Evolution of GSTD1 in Cactophilic Drosophila. J Mol Evol. 2017;84:285-294 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GSTD1 from D. hexastigma may have evolved improved substrate binding in order to adapt to the diverse chemical environments that this species encounters in the wild. ..
- Hoberg E, Brooks D. Evolution in action: climate change, biodiversity dynamics and emerging infectious disease. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2015;370: pubmed publisher..In synergy, an environmental dynamic of Taxon Pulses establishes an episodic context for host and geographical colonization. ..
- Lloyd G, Bapst D, Friedman M, Davis K. Probabilistic divergence time estimation without branch lengths: dating the origins of dinosaurs, avian flight and crown birds. Biol Lett. 2016;12: pubmed publisher..Demonstrating the feasibility of probabilistic time-scaling further opens up divergence estimation to the rich histories of extinct biodiversity in the fossil record, even in the absence of detailed character data. ..
- Bilgili A. Beating the Turkish hollow in the struggle for existence: Darwin, social Darwinism and the Turks. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2017;65:19-25 pubmed publisher..More importantly, it aims to familiarise Western readers with one of the cultures of creationism which is very little known, despite its great impact on Muslim masses. ..
- Mollo E, Garson M, Polese G, Amodeo P, Ghiselin M. Taste and smell in aquatic and terrestrial environments. Nat Prod Rep. 2017;34:496-513 pubmed publisher..According to this perspective, natural product chemistry is a powerful tool with which to explore the evolutionary history of the chemical senses. ..
- Techer M, Clemencet J, Simiand C, Preeaduth S, Azali H, Reynaud B, et al. Large-scale mitochondrial DNA analysis of native honey bee Apis mellifera populations reveals a new African subgroup private to the South West Indian Ocean islands. BMC Genet. 2017;18:53 pubmed publisher..A new African subgroup was described in the SWIO region with mitochondrial genetic evidence that A. m. unicolor is the indigenous subspecies of the archipelagos surrounding Madagascar. ..
- Adams R, Carter R. Megachiropteran bats profoundly unique from microchiropterans in climbing and walking locomotion: Evolutionary implications. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185634 pubmed publisher..We contend that nonflight locomotion mechanics give a deep evolutionary view into the ancestral es locomotor platform on which flight was built in each of these groups. ..
- Lau M, Keith A, Borrett S, Shuster S, Whitham T. Genotypic variation in foundation species generates network structure that may drive community dynamics and evolution. Ecology. 2016;97:733-42 pubmed..g., assembly and stability) and evolution in a community context. ..
- Gallo R, Aguiar R, Ricietto A, Vilas Boas L, da Silva C, Ribeiro J, et al. A New Approach to Chromosomal Evolution in the Giant Water Bug (Heteroptera: Belostomatidae). J Hered. 2017;108:184-193 pubmed publisher..That karyotype would have originated other karyotypes through agmatoploidy, simploidy, heterochromatinization, and movement of the 18S rDNA. ..
- Hülter N, Sørum V, Borch Pedersen K, Liljegren M, Utnes A, Primicerio R, et al. Costs and benefits of natural transformation in Acinetobacter baylyi. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:34 pubmed publisher..In contrast, recombination during transformation is a strand break inducing process that represents a previously unrecognized cost of natural transformation. ..
- Vogelweith F, Körner M, Foitzik S, Meunier J. Age, pathogen exposure, but not maternal care shape offspring immunity in an insect with facultative family life. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:69 pubmed publisher..This reveals that pathogen pressure is not a universal evolutionary driver of the emergence and maintenance of post-hatching maternal care in insects. ..
- Reiner W, Masao F, Sholts S, Songita A, Stanistreet I, Stollhofen H, et al. OH 83: A new early modern human fossil cranium from the Ndutu beds of Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2017;164:533-545 pubmed publisher..However, OH 83 demonstrates that by ca. 60-32 ka modern humans in Africa included individuals that are at the fairly small and gracile range of modern human cranial variation. ..
- Suarez P, Pinto Barroso I, Silva D, Milhomem S, Cabral de Mello D, Martins C, et al. Highest Diploid Number Among Gymnotiformes: First Cytogenetic Insights into Rhabdolichops (Sternopygidae). Zebrafish. 2017;14:272-279 pubmed publisher..All in all, our results strongly suggest that R. cf eastwardi experencied recent intense genome reorganization. ..