Genomes and Genes
Summary: Oligosaccharide antigenic determinants found principally on NK CELLS and T-CELLS. They are expressed at high levels in terminally differentiated or senescent cells with reduced proliferative capacity; however, their role in the immune response is poorly understood.
- Kern F, Khatamzas E, Surel I, Frommel C, Reinke P, Waldrop S, et al. Distribution of human CMV-specific memory T cells among the CD8pos. subsets defined by CD57, CD27, and CD45 isoforms. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:2908-15 pubmed..This subpopulation likely includes the fully differentiated memory cells responsible for the long-term immune defense against HCMV reactivation. ..
- Sze D, Giesajtis G, Brown R, Raitakari M, Gibson J, Ho J, et al. Clonal cytotoxic T cells are expanded in myeloma and reside in the CD8(+)CD57(+)CD28(-) compartment. Blood. 2001;98:2817-27 pubmed
- de Paula A, Gomez R. Immunolocalization of p53, glutathione S-tranferase pi and CD57 antigens in oral leukoplakia. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:379-85 pubmed..Our data also give support to the idea that GST-pi and p53 are not time-point related during oral cancer development. ..
- Koike Y, Seki S, Ohkawa T, Kaneko T, Kogawa K, Fujitsuka S, et al. CD57+ T cells augment IFN-gamma production in a one-way mixed lymphocyte reaction and their expansion after stem cell transplantation in paediatric patients. Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;130:162-8 pubmed
- Johansson Lindbom B, Ingvarsson S, Borrebaeck C. Germinal centers regulate human Th2 development. J Immunol. 2003;171:1657-66 pubmed
- Wahl J, Bogatyreva L, Boukamp P, Rojewski M, Van Valen F, Fiedler J, et al. Ewing's sarcoma cells with CD57-associated increase of tumorigenicity and with neural crest-like differentiation capacity. Int J Cancer. 2010;127:1295-307 pubmed publisher..These data increase our knowledge about the pathogenesis and heterogeneity of EFT. ..
- Khan A, Tischler A, Patwardhan N, DeLellis R. Calcitonin immunoreactivity in neoplastic and hyperplastic parathyroid glands: an immunohistochemical study. Endocr Pathol. 2003;14:249-55 pubmed..The significance of these findings in relationship to the abnormal calcium metabolism in patients with parathyroid hyperplasia remains to be determined. ..
- Yamamoto S, Oka S, Saito Ohara F, Inazawa J, Kawasaki T. Molecular cloning and genomic analysis of mouse glucuronyltransferase involved in biosynthesis of the HNK-1 epitope. J Biochem. 2002;131:337-47 pubmed..Thus, this minimal promoter region of GlcAT-P is suggested to be associated with the regulation of HNK-1 expression. ..
- Menon A, Janssen van Rhijn C, Morreau H, Putter H, Tollenaar R, Van De Velde C, et al. Immune system and prognosis in colorectal cancer: a detailed immunohistochemical analysis. Lab Invest. 2004;84:493-501 pubmed..Our data indicate that NK cells might play an important role in the immune surveillance in colorectal cancer patients. ..
- Takahashi K, Iwase M, Yamashita K, Tatsumoto Y, Ue H, Kuratsune H, et al. The elevation of natural killer cell activity induced by laughter in a crossover designed study. Int J Mol Med. 2001;8:645-50 pubmed..These findings suggest that NKCA elevation and NKCA before and after comic film seem to be related with the experiential aspects of laughter rather than with the expressive aspects. ..
- Imiya K, Ishizaki T, Seiki T, Saito F, Inazawa J, Oka S, et al. cDNA cloning, genomic structure and chromosomal mapping of the mouse glucuronyltransferase-S involved in the biosynthesis of the HNK-1 carbohydrate epitope. Gene. 2002;296:29-36 pubmed..Southern blot analysis and chromosomal mapping indicated that the mouse GlcAT-S gene is a single copy gene and it was mapped to the A4-B region of mouse chromosome 1. ..
- Strekalova T, Wotjak C, Schachner M. Intrahippocampal administration of an antibody against the HNK-1 carbohydrate impairs memory consolidation in an inhibitory learning task in mice. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:1102-13 pubmed..Our observations show that the HNK-1 carbohydrate is critically involved in memory consolidation in hippocampus-dependent learning in mammals. ..
- Saboia Dantas C, Coutrin de Toledo L, Siqueira J, Sampaio Filho H, Carvalho J, Pereira M. Natural killer cells and alterations in collagen density: signs of periradicular herpesvirus infection?. Clin Oral Investig. 2008;12:129-35 pubmed..Collagen density may vary in function of the type of lesion and presence of herpesvirus infection. ..
- Mikol D, Gulcher J, Stefansson K. The oligodendrocyte-myelin glycoprotein belongs to a distinct family of proteins and contains the HNK-1 carbohydrate. J Cell Biol. 1990;110:471-9 pubmed..In addition, we report that a subpopulation of OMgp molecules contains the HNK-1 carbohydrate, which has been shown to mediate interactions among cells in the central nervous system. ..
- Dennis R, Martini R, Schachner M. Expression of carbohydrate epitopes L2/HNK-1 and L3 in the larva and imago of Drosophila melanogaster and Calliphora vicina. Cell Tissue Res. 1991;265:589-600 pubmed..349 revealed a more cell surface-associated distribution. In imagoes, immunoreactivities were detectable in most organs studied. ..
- Huang K, Loutfy M, Boulet S, Toma E, Tsoukas C, Bernard N. Predictive value of immune parameters before treatment interruption (TI) for CD4+ T-cell count change during TI in HIV infection. Antivir Ther. 2009;14:381-92 pubmed..05 for all analyses). In treated chronic HIV-infected patients, pre-TI immune parameters are potential predictors for both the nadir CD4+ T-cell count and CD4+ T-cell count decrease during TI. ..
- Stricker R, Winger E. Decreased CD57 lymphocyte subset in patients with chronic Lyme disease. Immunol Lett. 2001;76:43-8 pubmed..A decrease in the CD57 lymphocyte subset may be an important marker of chronic LD. Changes in the CD57 subset may be useful to monitor the response to therapy in this disease. ..
- Cook R, Ballas Z, Waldschmidt T, Vandersteen D, LaBrecque D, Cook B. Modulation of T-cell adhesion markers, and the CD45R and CD57 antigens in human alcoholics. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1995;19:555-63 pubmed..It is argued that these and other T-cell alterations in alcoholics are cytokine-driven in part and result in T-cell differentiation states that are functionally inappropriate.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Shimoda Y, Tajima Y, Nagase T, Harii K, Osumi N, Sanai Y. Cloning and expression of a novel galactoside beta1, 3-glucuronyltransferase involved in the biosynthesis of HNK-1 epitope. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:17115-22 pubmed..Regions that expressed GlcAT-D and/or GlcAT-P were always HNK-1-positive, indicating that both GlcATs are involved in the synthesis of the HNK-1 epitope in vivo. ..
- Bajramovic J, Lassmann H, van Noort J. Expression of alphaB-crystallin in glia cells during lesional development in multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 1997;78:143-51 pubmed..In addition, no correlation was found between expression of hsp60 and alphaB-crystallin in MS lesions suggesting different regulatory pathways for either hsp. ..
- Bleckmann C, Geyer H, Lieberoth A, Splittstoesser F, Liu Y, Feizi T, et al. O-glycosylation pattern of CD24 from mouse brain. Biol Chem. 2009;390:627-45 pubmed publisher..Hence, our data provide the basis for further studies on the contribution of carbohydrate determinants to CD24-mediated biological activities. ..
- Raine C, Wu E. Multiple sclerosis: remyelination in acute lesions. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 1993;52:199-204 pubmed..It is suggested that this type of CNS remyelination in MS is a transient event. Possible underlying factors are discussed. ..
- He X, Zha Q, Liu Y, Xu L, Chi X. High frequencies cytomegalovirus pp65(495-503)-specific CD8+ T cells in healthy young and elderly Chinese donors: characterization of their phenotypes and TCR Vbeta usage. J Clin Immunol. 2006;26:417-29 pubmed
- Jeffery W. Ascidian neural crest-like cells: phylogenetic distribution, relationship to larval complexity, and pigment cell fate. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2006;306:470-80 pubmed..The results suggest that ascidian neural crest-like cells and vertebrate neural crest cells had a common origin during chordate evolution and that their primitive function was to generate body pigmentation. ..
- Marinova E, Han S, Zheng B. Human germinal center T cells are unique Th cells with high propensity for apoptosis induction. Int Immunol. 2006;18:1337-45 pubmed..Moreover, CD4(+)CD45RO(+)CD57(+) GC T cells express a unique profile of genes that control apoptosis and cell cycle, providing possible molecular mechanisms for the high rates of apoptotic death of these T(h) cells in the GCs. ..
- Hong H, Eberhard J, Keudel P, Bollmann B, Ballmaier M, Bhatnagar N, et al. HIV infection is associated with a preferential decline in less-differentiated CD56dim CD16+ NK cells. J Virol. 2010;84:1183-8 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that HIV leads to a decline of less-differentiated cells and suggest that CD57 is a useful marker for terminal differentiation on NK cells. ..
- Raju N, Yaeger M, Okazaki D, Lovell K, Koestner A. Immunohistochemical characterization of rat central and peripheral nerve tumors induced by ethylnitrosourea. Toxicol Pathol. 1990;18:18-23 pubmed..Anti-Leu 7 and NSE proved to be of little value in the classification of ENU-induced neural tumors. ..
- Hisaoka M, Ishida T, Kuo T, Matsuyama A, Imamura T, Nishida K, et al. Clear cell sarcoma of soft tissue: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular analysis of 33 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008;32:452-60 pubmed publisher..In cases with unusual histologic findings, molecular detection of the EWSR1-ATF1/CREB1 fusion genes provides critical information regarding the diagnosis of the tumor...
- Kazakov D, Mukensnabl P, Zamecnik M, Michal M. Intraneural dendritic cell neurofibroma with pseudorosettes. Am J Dermatopathol. 2004;26:72-5 pubmed..This observation gives further evidence that this entity is a peripheral nerve sheath tumor and is unrelated to melanocytic neoplasms. ..
- Watanabe H, Weerasinghe A, Miyaji C, Sekikawa H, Toyabe S, Mannor M, et al. Expansion of unconventional T cells with natural killer markers in malaria patients. Parasitol Int. 2003;52:61-70 pubmed
- Papadopoulos N, Simopoulos C, Karamanidis D, Kotini A, Tamiolakis D. Large granular lymphocytes (LGLS) activity in women with spontaneous abortions during the 1st trimester of gestation. Panminerva Med. 2002;44:343-7 pubmed..12th gestational week using a panel of monoclonal antibodies against Granzyme B (GRAN-B), CD2, CD38, CD56, and CD57 antigens and the immunoperoxidase technique. LGLs were demonstrated with the phloxine-tartazine stain...
- Gerety M, Watanabe M. Polysialylated NCAM expression on endocardial cells of the chick primary atrial septum. Anat Rec. 1997;247:71-84 pubmed
- Johnson G, Moore S. Association of the HNK-1 epitope with the detergent-soluble G4 isoform of acetylcholinesterase from human neuroblastoma cells. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2001;19:439-45 pubmed..These results indicate that acetylcholinesterase-G4, anchored in the extracellular membrane, is capable of mediating cell-substrate adhesion through HNK-1. ..
- Cebo C, Durier V, Lagant P, Maes E, Florea D, Lefebvre T, et al. Function and molecular modeling of the interaction between human interleukin 6 and its HNK-1 oligosaccharide ligands. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:12246-52 pubmed..Stahl, M., and Seehra, J. S. (1997) EMBO J. 16, 989-997), already known to be involved in interactions with gp130. ..
- Stricker R, Burrascano J, Winger E. Longterm decrease in the CD57 lymphocyte subset in a patient with chronic Lyme disease. Ann Agric Environ Med. 2002;9:111-3 pubmed..This observation represents the longest duration of an immunologic abnormality ever documented in chronic Lyme disease. The CD57 lymphocyte subset appears to be a useful marker of longterm infection with the Lyme disease spirochete. ..
- Casazza J, Betts M, Price D, Precopio M, Ruff L, Brenchley J, et al. Acquisition of direct antiviral effector functions by CMV-specific CD4+ T lymphocytes with cellular maturation. J Exp Med. 2006;203:2865-77 pubmed..Thus, mature CMV-specific CD4+ T cells exhibit distinct functional properties reminiscent of antiviral CD8+ T lymphocytes. ..
- Chandan V, Faquin W, Wilbur D, Khurana K. The role of immunolocalization of CD57 and GLUT-1 in cell blocks in fine-needle aspiration diagnosis of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Cancer. 2006;108:331-6 pubmed..GLUT-1 did not prove to be a useful marker in distinguishing papillary carcinomas. ..
- Rey J, Giustiniani J, Mallet F, Schiavon V, Boumsell L, Bensussan A, et al. The co-expression of 2B4 (CD244) and CD160 delineates a subpopulation of human CD8+ T cells with a potent CD160-mediated cytolytic effector function. Eur J Immunol. 2006;36:2359-66 pubmed..We conclude that the co-expression of 2B4 and CD160 defines a CD8+ T lymphocyte subpopulation with high CTL activity. ..
- Rey J, Olive D, Gastaut J, Costello R. Granular lymphoproliferative disorder, autologous blood stem cell transplantation and multiple myeloma. Eur J Haematol. 2003;71:311-2 pubmed
- Isawa M, Takumi Y, Hashimoto S, Nakayama J, Usami S. Polysialic acid and HNK-1 are expressed in the adult rat vestibular endorgans. Neuroreport. 2004;15:1575-8 pubmed..These results combined suggest that both PSA and HNK-1 carbohydrate epitopes are synthesized and may have an important role in the adult peripheral vestibular endorgans. ..
- Libois A, Lopez A, Garcia F, Castro P, Maleno M, Garcia A, et al. Dynamics of T cells subsets and lymphoproliferative responses during structured treatment interruption cycles and after definitive interruption of HAART in early chronic HIV type-1-infected patients. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2006;22:657-66 pubmed..Conversely, higher and longer viral replication after cessation of HAART overwhelms the immune system. These data may help to guide future immune-based therapies. ..
- Kojima M, Nakamura S, Iijima M, Murayama K, Sakata N, Masawa N. Lymphoid variant of hyaline vascular Castleman's disease containing numerous mantle zone lymphocytes with clear cytoplasm. APMIS. 2005;113:75-80 pubmed..To avoid overdiagnosis and overtreatment, it is suggested that immunophenotypic and genotypic studies might be required, and furthermore careful attention should be paid to the morphologic examination. ..
- Harada K, Isse K, Tsuneyama K, Ohta H, Nakanuma Y. Accumulating CD57 + CD3 + natural killer T cells are related to intrahepatic bile duct lesions in primary biliary cirrhosis. Liver Int. 2003;23:94-100 pubmed..Inversely, it can be postulated that auto aggressive CD57 + CD3 + NKT cells are recruited to regulate the altered immunity of the periductal microenvironment in PBC. ..
- Misago N, Inoue T, Narisawa Y. Unusual benign myxoid nerve sheath lesion: myxoid palisaded encapsulated neuroma (PEN) or nerve sheath myxoma with PEN/PEN-like features?. Am J Dermatopathol. 2007;29:160-4 pubmed..Thus, the present case may suggest that PEN can show extensive myxoid change or may demonstrate a relationship between PEN and nerve sheath myxoma. ..
- Villar Cheda B, Perez Costas E, Melendez Ferro M, Abalo X, Rodríguez Muñoz R, Anadón R, et al. Cell proliferation in the forebrain and midbrain of the sea lamprey. J Comp Neurol. 2006;494:986-1006 pubmed
- Characiejus D, Pasukoniene V, Jonusauskaite R, Azlauskaite N, Aleknavicius E, Mauricas M, et al. Peripheral blood CD8highCD57+ lymphocyte levels may predict outcome in melanoma patients treated with adjuvant interferon-alpha. Anticancer Res. 2008;28:1139-42 pubmed..6 months). Larger prospective studies are justified to investigate the precise value of CD8highCD57+ lymphocytes in the selection of melanoma patients for adjuvant treatment with IFN-alpha. ..
- Waldo K, Kumiski D, Wallis K, Stadt H, Hutson M, Platt D, et al. Conotruncal myocardium arises from a secondary heart field. Development. 2001;128:3179-88 pubmed..The addition of a secondary myocardium to the primary heart tube provides a new framework for understanding several null mutations in mice that cause defective heart development. ..
- Wenisch S, Andressen C, Addicks K, Arnhold S, Leiser R. Heme oxygenase-2 immunoreactivity in developing and mature bovine olfactory epithelium. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2001;126:101-8 pubmed..The temporal and spatial expression patterns of HO-2 immunohistochemistry support the notion that CO plays a role in neuronal differentiation while its presence in mature neurons might be functionally related to olfactory transduction. ..
- Terayama K, Oka S, Seiki T, Miki Y, Nakamura A, Kozutsumi Y, et al. Cloning and functional expression of a novel glucuronyltransferase involved in the biosynthesis of the carbohydrate epitope HNK-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6093-8 pubmed
- Isoardo G, Deaglio S, Cocito D, Migliaretti G, Ferrero E, Cavallo F, et al. Immunodetection of anti-MAG IgM antibody by cross-reactivity to LA-N-1 neuroblastoma cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;161:78-86 pubmed..We report here on the evaluation of the LA-N-1 cell line as an appropriate substrate for the detection of anti-MAG antibody by indirect immunoflourescence. ..
- Kraus M, Haley J. Lymphocyte predominance Hodgkin's disease: the use of bcl-6 and CD57 in diagnosis and differential diagnosis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2000;24:1068-78 pubmed