Genomes and Genes
Summary: Cell adhesion molecule and CD antigen that serves as a homing receptor for lymphocytes to lymph node high endothelial venules.
- Lou J, Yago T, Klopocki A, Mehta P, Chen W, Zarnitsyna V, et al. Flow-enhanced adhesion regulated by a selectin interdomain hinge. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:1107-17 pubmed..Thus, allosteric changes remote from the ligand-binding interface regulate both bond formation and dissociation. ..
- Tarbell K, Petit L, Zuo X, Toy P, Luo X, Mqadmi A, et al. Dendritic cell-expanded, islet-specific CD4+ CD25+ CD62L+ regulatory T cells restore normoglycemia in diabetic NOD mice. J Exp Med. 2007;204:191-201 pubmed..Therefore, inoculation of DC-expanded, antigen-specific suppressor T cells has considerable efficacy in ameliorating ongoing diabetes in NOD mice. ..
- Foulk R, Zdravkovic T, Genbacev O, Prakobphol A. Expression of L-selectin ligand MECA-79 as a predictive marker of human uterine receptivity. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2007;24:316-21 pubmed..L-selectin and its ligands play a vital role for early human implantation. Screening for the absence of the ligand may help many patients with RIF to avoid undergoing repeated failed treatment cycles. ..
- Richards H, Longhi M, Wright K, Gallimore A, Ager A. CD62L (L-selectin) down-regulation does not affect memory T cell distribution but failure to shed compromises anti-viral immunity. J Immunol. 2008;180:198-206 pubmed..These results demonstrate that CD62L down-regulation is not required for CD8 memory cells to home to sites of infection. However, their ability to clear virus is significantly compromised if CD62L shedding is abrogated. ..
- McEver R. A sulfated address for lymphocyte homing. Nat Immunol. 2005;6:1067-9 pubmed
- Bachmann M, Wolint P, Schwarz K, Jäger P, Oxenius A. Functional properties and lineage relationship of CD8+ T cell subsets identified by expression of IL-7 receptor alpha and CD62L. J Immunol. 2005;175:4686-96 pubmed
- Huster K, Koffler M, Stemberger C, Schiemann M, Wagner H, Busch D. Unidirectional development of CD8+ central memory T cells into protective Listeria-specific effector memory T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2006;36:1453-64 pubmed..m.) nor T(EC) (by systemic co-administration of CpG during primary infection) conferred substantial long-term protective immunity. These findings have important implications for the design of more effective T cell-based vaccines. ..
- Lai T, Shih I, Vlahos N, Ho C, Wallach E, Zhao Y. Differential expression of L-selectin ligand in the endometrium during the menstrual cycle. Fertil Steril. 2005;83 Suppl 1:1297-302 pubmed..Increased expression of L-selectin ligand in the human endometrium during the early and midsecretory phases of the menstrual cycle may be related to the process of implantation. ..
- Unsoeld H, Pircher H. Complex memory T-cell phenotypes revealed by coexpression of CD62L and CCR7. J Virol. 2005;79:4510-3 pubmed
- da Costa Martins P, van Gils J, Mol A, Hordijk P, Zwaginga J. Platelet binding to monocytes increases the adhesive properties of monocytes by up-regulating the expression and functionality of beta1 and beta2 integrins. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;79:499-507 pubmed..Hence, monocytes within PMC are in a higher state of activation and may have, therefore, an increased atherogenic capacity. ..
- Jabbari A, Harty J. Secondary memory CD8+ T cells are more protective but slower to acquire a central-memory phenotype. J Exp Med. 2006;203:919-32 pubmed..Thus, primary and secondary memory CD8 T cells are functionally distinct, and the number of encounters with antigen influences memory CD8 T cell function. ..
- Galkina E, Kadl A, Sanders J, Varughese D, Sarembock I, Ley K. Lymphocyte recruitment into the aortic wall before and during development of atherosclerosis is partially L-selectin dependent. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1273-82 pubmed..Atherosclerosis induces the recruitment of macrophages and dendritic cells that support antigen presentation. ..
- Yamaguchi T, Kitaya K, Daikoku N, Yasuo T, Fushiki S, Honjo H. Potential selectin L ligands involved in selective recruitment of peripheral blood CD16(-) natural killer cells into human endometrium. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:35-40 pubmed..These findings support the idea that the interaction between selectin L and selectin L ligands functions in the postovulatory selective recruitment of PB CD16(-) NK cells into the human endometrium. ..
- Pablos J, Santiago B, Tsay D, Singer M, Palao G, Galindo M, et al. A HEV-restricted sulfotransferase is expressed in rheumatoid arthritis synovium and is induced by lymphotoxin-alpha/beta and TNF-alpha in cultured endothelial cells. BMC Immunol. 2005;6:6 pubmed..GlcNAc6ST-2 is a novel marker of activated vessels within RA ectopic lymphoid aggregates. This enzyme represents a potential therapeutic target for RA. ..
- Ridger V, Hellewell P, Norman K. L- and P-selectins collaborate to support leukocyte rolling in vivo when high-affinity P-selectin-P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 interaction is inhibited. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:945-52 pubmed..Together these data suggest that leukocytes can continue to roll in the absence of optimal P-selectin/PSGL-1 interaction using an alternative mechanism that involves P-selectin-, L-selectin-, and sLe(x)-bearing ligands. ..
- Ermann J, Hoffmann P, Edinger M, Dutt S, Blankenberg F, Higgins J, et al. Only the CD62L+ subpopulation of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells protects from lethal acute GVHD. Blood. 2005;105:2220-6 pubmed..The ability of Treg cells to efficiently enter the priming sites of pathogenic allo-reactive T cells appears to be a prerequisite for their protective function in aGVHD. ..
- Ivetic A, Ridley A. The telling tail of L-selectin. Biochem Soc Trans. 2004;32:1118-21 pubmed..This review describes currently known binding partners of the L-selectin tail and how their associations affect L-selectin function. ..
- Haley M, Parent C, Cui X, Kalil A, Fitz Y, Correa Araujo R, et al. Neutrophil inhibition with L-selectin-directed MAb improves or worsens survival dependent on the route but not severity of infection in a rat sepsis model. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2005;98:2155-62 pubmed..05 for all comparing 6 with 168 h). Thus immunomodulators inhibiting neutrophil function, although potentially beneficial with sepsis due to intravascular infection, may be harmful with extravascular infection regardless of severity. ..
- Rosen S, Tsay D, Singer M, Hemmerich S, Abraham W. Therapeutic targeting of endothelial ligands for L-selectin (PNAd) in a sheep model of asthma. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:935-44 pubmed..Furthermore, MECA-79 inhibited the accumulation of all classes of leukocytes in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. These findings represent the first demonstration that targeting of PNAd has therapeutic efficacy in an inflammatory disease. ..
- Lugović L, Cupic H, Lipozencic J, Jakic Razumovic J. The role of adhesion molecules in atopic dermatitis. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2006;14:2-7 pubmed
- Roberts A, Ely K, Woodland D. Differential contributions of central and effector memory T cells to recall responses. J Exp Med. 2005;202:123-33 pubmed..These data indicate that the contribution of effector memory and central memory T cells to the recall response changes substantially over time. ..
- Fantini M, Becker C, Tubbe I, Nikolaev A, Lehr H, Galle P, et al. Transforming growth factor beta induced FoxP3+ regulatory T cells suppress Th1 mediated experimental colitis. Gut. 2006;55:671-80 pubmed..In addition to Tr1 and thymic CD4+CD25+ T cells, peripheral Ti-Treg cells emerge as a class of regulatory T cells with therapeutic potential in T cell mediated chronic intestinal inflammation. ..
- Zhang Y, Joe G, Hexner E, Zhu J, Emerson S. Host-reactive CD8+ memory stem cells in graft-versus-host disease. Nat Med. 2005;11:1299-305 pubmed..Memory stem cells will be important targets for understanding and influencing diverse chronic immune reactions, including GVHD. ..
- Htun P, Fateh Moghadam S, Tomandl B, Handschu R, Klinger K, Stellos K, et al. Course of platelet activation and platelet-leukocyte interaction in cerebrovascular ischemia. Stroke. 2006;37:2283-7 pubmed..The sustained leukocyte activation observed in stroke but not in TIA patients at 3-month follow up might play a pathophysiological role in the course of the disease. ..
- Welner R, Pelayo R, Garrett K, Chen X, Perry S, Sun X, et al. Interferon-producing killer dendritic cells (IKDCs) arise via a unique differentiation pathway from primitive c-kitHiCD62L+ lymphoid progenitors. Blood. 2007;109:4825-931 pubmed..These observations suggest that IKDCs may arise from a unique differentiation pathway, and one that diverges early from those responsible for NK cells, pDCs, and T and B cells. ..
- Fukuda M, Sugihara K. An integrated view of L-selectin and trophinin function in human embryo implantation. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2008;34:129-36 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes findings relevant to the functions of L-selectin and trophinin in human embryo implantation, and proposes a model that reconciles these cell adhesion mechanisms. ..
- Hoffmann P, Eder R, Boeld T, Doser K, Piseshka B, Andreesen R, et al. Only the CD45RA+ subpopulation of CD4+CD25high T cells gives rise to homogeneous regulatory T-cell lines upon in vitro expansion. Blood. 2006;108:4260-7 pubmed..Based on these unexpected findings, we suggest that isolation and expansion of CD45RA+ naive CD4+ CD25high T cells is the best strategy for adoptive regulatory T (Treg)-cell therapies. ..
- Totte P, Duperray C, Dedieu L. CD62L defines a subset of pathogen-specific bovine CD4 with central memory cell characteristics. Dev Comp Immunol. 2010;34:177-82 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the existence of Tcm in cattle and suggest that CD62L may serve as a marker to monitor Tcm in infections and vaccine development studies in ruminant. ..
- Jeon S, Yoon H, Park S, Kim I, Park E. Sulfatide, a major lipid component of myelin sheath, activates inflammatory responses as an endogenous stimulator in brain-resident immune cells. J Immunol. 2008;181:8077-87 pubmed..Collectively, these results show that abnormally released sulfatide at demyelinated regions may act as an endogenous stimulator in the brain immune system, thus causing and further exacerbating pathological conditions in the brain. ..
- Matsuno O, Kumamoto T, Higuchi Y. ADAM8 in allergy. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2008;7:108-12 pubmed..Together, these findings support the view that ADAM8 might be a therapeutic target for allergic respiratory diseases. This review discusses novel strategies for immune intervention in allergic respiratory disease. ..
- Paschall C, Guilford W, Lawrence M. Enhancement of L-selectin, but not P-selectin, bond formation frequency by convective flow. Biophys J. 2008;94:1034-45 pubmed..This is the first report, to our knowledge, comparing L-selectin and P-selectin bond formation frequencies in shear flow. ..
- de Coupade C, Brown A, Dazin P, Levine J, Green P. beta(2)-Adrenergic receptor-dependent sexual dimorphism for murine leukocyte migration. J Neuroimmunol. 2007;186:54-62 pubmed
- Kim C. Migration and function of FoxP3+ regulatory T cells in the hematolymphoid system. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:1033-40 pubmed..Therefore, FoxP3+ T cells play essential roles in regulation of the hematolymphoid system in health and diseases, and are likely to be utilized as effective therapeutics for many diseases in the hematolymphoid system in the future. ..
- Nishimura Y, Shimojima M, Tohya Y, Miyazawa T. Molecular cloning of a cDNA encoding the feline CD62L. J Vet Med Sci. 2007;69:81-4 pubmed..The flow cytometric analysis confirmed that the feline CD62L molecule, which was expressed 293T cells, retained an epitope recognized by an anti-human CD62L monoclonal antibody (Leu-8). ..
- Kausche S, Wehler T, Schnürer E, Lennerz V, Brenner W, Melchior S, et al. Superior antitumor in vitro responses of allogeneic matched sibling compared with autologous patient CD8+ T cells. Cancer Res. 2006;66:11447-54 pubmed..These data encourage the generation of antitumor T-cell products from HLA-identical siblings and their potential use in adoptive immunotherapy of metastatic RCC patients. ..
- Persson C, Chambers B. Plasmacytoid dendritic cell-induced migration and activation of NK cells in vivo. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:2155-64 pubmed publisher..The present results are discussed in relation to pDC-induced NK cell migration and activation in vivo. ..
- Bai A, Hu H, Yeung M, Chen J. Kruppel-like factor 2 controls T cell trafficking by activating L-selectin (CD62L) and sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1 transcription. J Immunol. 2007;178:7632-9 pubmed..These findings suggest that KLF2 regulates T cell homeostasis at least partly by controlling CD62L and S1P1 expression, and therefore T cell egress from the thymus and circulation in the periphery. ..
- Ryba M, Hak L, Zorena K, Myśliwiec M, Mysliwska J. [Regulatory T lymphocytes expressing L-selectin in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus]. Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab. 2010;16:12-6 pubmed
- Wedepohl S, Kaup M, Riese S, Berger M, Dernedde J, Tauber R, et al. N-glycan analysis of recombinant L-Selectin reveals sulfated GalNAc and GalNAc-GalNAc motifs. J Proteome Res. 2010;9:3403-11 pubmed publisher..This indicates that protein intrinsic information of L-selectin leads to decoration with specific N-glycans, which in turn may be related to L-selectin function. ..
- Chen L, Lin S, Amin S, Overbergh L, Maggiolino G, Chan L. VCAM-1 blockade delays disease onset, reduces disease severity and inflammatory cells in an atopic dermatitis model. Immunol Cell Biol. 2010;88:334-42 pubmed publisher..VCAM-1 is more critical in developing skin inflammation in this model. ..
- Du H, Liu N, Wu Z, Chen R, Weng J, Huang H. [Inhibiting effects of interleukin-10 on expression of E-selectin and L-selectin in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion: experiment with rats]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2009;89:59-62 pubmed..421 +/- 0.043,) and (0.348 +/- 0.044) respectively, both P < 0.05]. IL-10 suppresses the expression of E-selectin and L-selectin in cerebral ischemia-reperfusion. ..
- Zuo Y, Wei W, Liu C, Zhao L, Wang L, Zhang J. Silencing L-selectin expression by siRNA attenuated metastasis of murine lymphoid neoplasm cell P388D1 to peripheral lymph nodes. Leukemia. 2007;21:180-3 pubmed
- Vinolo M, Rodrigues H, Hatanaka E, Hebeda C, Farsky S, Curi R. Short-chain fatty acids stimulate the migration of neutrophils to inflammatory sites. Clin Sci (Lond). 2009;117:331-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that SCFAs produced by anaerobic bacteria raise neutrophil migration through increased L-selectin expression on neutrophils and CINC-2alphabeta release. ..
- Zdravkovic T, Genbacev O, Prakobphol A, Cvetkovic M, Schanz A, McMaster M, et al. Nicotine downregulates the l-selectin system that mediates cytotrophoblast emigration from cell columns and attachment to the uterine wall. Reprod Toxicol. 2006;22:69-76 pubmed
- Dong W, Xie T, Dong J, Jin S, Hua L, Song F, et al. [Effects of advanced glycosylation end products on the biological behavior of neutrophils]. Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi. 2008;24:9-12 pubmed..91 +/- 0. 21, P <0.05, respectively). AGE can enhance the activity of neutrophil, with change in cellular biological behaviors, which may be one of main reasons for abnormal inflammation in wounds of diabetes mellitus patients. ..
- Chen H, Cui B, Wang S, Zhao Z, Sun H, Zhao Y, et al. L-selectin gene polymorphisms in Graves' disease. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2007;67:145-51 pubmed..0190). However there was no association between polymorphisms and certain GD clinical phenotypes, including age of onset and ophthalmopathy. L-selectin gene polymorphisms are associated with GD susceptibility in Chinese patients. ..
- Orr Y, Taylor J, Cartland S, Bannon P, Geczy C, Kritharides L. Conformational activation of CD11b without shedding of L-selectin on circulating human neutrophils. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:1115-25 pubmed..We conclude that conformational activation of CD11b occurs on circulating neutrophils in vivo and can occur in the absence of CD11b up-regulation and L-selectin shedding. ..
- Nishibori M, Takahashi H, Katayama H, Mori S, Saito S, Iwagaki H, et al. Specific Removal of Monocytes from Peripheral Blood of Septic Patients by Polymyxin B-immobilized Filter Column. Acta Med Okayama. 2009;63:65-9 pubmed..The specific removal of monocytes from septic patients may produce beneficial effects by reducing the interaction between monocytes and functionally associated cells including vascular endothelial cells. ..
- Fairhurst A, Wallace P, Jawad A, Goulding N. Rheumatoid peripheral blood phagocytes are primed for activation but have impaired Fc-mediated generation of reactive oxygen species. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R29 pubmed..This may account for the increased susceptibility to bacterial infection that arises in patients with severe disease. ..
- Salem H, Eissa L, Rabbie A, El Helw L, El Gayar A. Evaluation of some biochemical markers as prognostic factors in malignant lymphomas. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2006;19:219-30 pubmed..Serum GAGs at diagnosis could reflect tumor bulk and the disease activity. ..
- Shima H, Tsuruma T, Sahara H, Takenouchi M, Takahashi N, Iwayama Y, et al. Protective mechanism of beta-SQAG9 liposome, a sulfonoglycolipid extracted from sea urchin intestines, against hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury. Shock. 2007;28:94-100 pubmed..beta-SQAG9 liposome might competitively antagonize L-selectin on PMNs and suppress the subsequent PMN infiltration, resulting in the reduction in I/R injury. ..
- Celie J, Rutjes N, Keuning E, Soininen R, Heljasvaara R, Pihlajaniemi T, et al. Subendothelial heparan sulfate proteoglycans become major L-selectin and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 ligands upon renal ischemia/reperfusion. Am J Pathol. 2007;170:1865-78 pubmed..Our results provide evidence for the concept that not only endothelial but also (microvascular) BM HSPGs can influence inflammatory responses. ..