Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of three different integrin alpha chains (CD11a, CD11b, CD11c) that are associated with an invariant integrin beta-2 chain (CD18 ANTIGENS). The three resulting leukocyte-adhesion molecules (RECEPTORS, LEUKOCYTE ADHESION) are LYMPHOCYTE FUNCTION-ASSOCIATED ANTIGEN-1; MACROPHAGE-1 ANTIGEN; and ANTIGEN, P150,95.
- Shelley C, Da Silva N, Georgakis A, Chomienne C, Arnaout M. Mapping of the human CD11c (ITGAX) and CD11d (ITGAD) genes demonstrates that they are arranged in tandem separated by no more than 11.5 kb. Genomics. 1998;49:334-6 pubmed
- Doerschuk C. Mechanisms of leukocyte sequestration in inflamed lungs. Microcirculation. 2001;8:71-88 pubmed..The many recent studies underline the complexity of neutrophil responses and host defense and the uncertainties of our knowledge. ..
- Lundahl J, Hallden G, Hallgren M, Skold C, Hed J. Altered expression of CD11b/CD18 and CD62L on human monocytes after cell preparation procedures. J Immunol Methods. 1995;180:93-100 pubmed..An awareness of ex vivo modulation by different cell preparation procedures is of importance especially when comparing the expression of functional receptors on leukocytes of disparate origin. ..
- Koike E, Kobayashi T, Shimojo N. Ozone exposure enhances expression of cell-surface molecules associated with antigen-presenting activity on bronchoalveolar lavage cells in rats. Toxicol Sci. 2001;63:115-24 pubmed..The present study suggests that monocytes infiltrating in response to O3 exposure caused enhancements of the expression of Ia and costimulatory molecules on and the accessory activity of BAL cells. ..
- Kan L, Okiji T, Kaneko T, Suda H. Localization and density of myeloid leucocytes in the periodontal ligament of normal rat molars. Arch Oral Biol. 2001;46:509-20 pubmed..It was concluded that the normal rat PDL is equipped with heterogeneous populations of macrophages with regional variations in density. The DC-like cells may function as antigen-presenting cells. ..
- Kunt T, Forst T, Fruh B, Flohr T, Schneider S, Harzer O, et al. Binding of monocytes from normolipidemic hyperglycemic patients with type 1 diabetes to endothelial cells is increased in vitro. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 1999;107:252-6 pubmed..Recently performed studies of our group strengthen the hypothesis that this monocyte activation is mediated by stimulation of the beta-isoform of proteinkinase C. ..
- Kojima T, Yamazaki K, Tamura Y, Ogura S, Tani K, Konishi J, et al. Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor gene-transduced tumor cells combined with tumor-derived gp96 inhibit tumor growth in mice. Hum Gene Ther. 2003;14:715-28 pubmed..These results suggest that the combination of irradiated LLC/GM cells and tumor-derived gp96 has potential as a new immunogene therapeutic strategy against lung cancer. ..
- Slattery M, Dong C. Neutrophils influence melanoma adhesion and migration under flow conditions. Int J Cancer. 2003;106:713-22 pubmed..These results suggest that transmigration of C8161 cells under flow conditions can be influenced by PMNs, mediated by Mac-1/ICAM-1 adhesive interactions and enhanced by altered cytokine production. ..
- Lambertsen K, Clausen B, Fenger C, Wulf H, Owens T, Dagnaes Hansen F, et al. Microglia and macrophages express tumor necrosis factor receptor p75 following middle cerebral artery occlusion in mice. Neuroscience. 2007;144:934-49 pubmed..The data show that increased expression of the TNF-p75 receptor following induction of focal cerebral ischemia in mice can be attributed to expression in activated microglial cells and blood-borne macrophages. ..
- D Cruz O, Toth C, Haas G. Recombinant soluble human complement receptor type 1 inhibits antisperm antibody- and neutrophil-mediated injury to human sperm. Biol Reprod. 1996;54:1217-28 pubmed..These findings suggested the therapeutic potential of sCR1 as an intravaginal pharmacophore to prevent C-dependent sperm dysfunction and related inflammatory events in the female genital tract. ..
- Oatway M, Chen Y, Bruce J, Dekaban G, Weaver L. Anti-CD11d integrin antibody treatment restores normal serotonergic projections to the dorsal, intermediate, and ventral horns of the injured spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2005;25:637-47 pubmed..The improvement in serotonergic fiber projections paralleled reduced mechanical allodynia and enhanced locomotor recovery. ..
- Fujita H, Morita I, Murota S. A possible mechanism for vascular endothelial cell injury elicited by activated leukocytes: a significant involvement of adhesion molecules, CD11/CD18, and ICAM-1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;309:62-9 pubmed
- Bao F, Chen Y, Dekaban G, Weaver L. Early anti-inflammatory treatment reduces lipid peroxidation and protein nitration after spinal cord injury in rats. J Neurochem. 2004;88:1335-44 pubmed..These effects likely underlie improved tissue preservation and neurological function resulting from the mAb treatment. ..
- Kobayashi W, Liu Q, Matsumiya T, Nakagawa H, Yoshida H, Imaizumi T, et al. Photodynamic therapy upregulates expression of Mac-1 and generation of leukotriene B(4) by human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Oral Oncol. 2004;40:506-10 pubmed..These results suggest that PDT can induce PMNs to express extensively Mac-1 and generate a certain amount of LTB(4) that may play an important cytocidal role in the treatment of oral cancer. ..
- Cao C, Liang A, Zhao Y, Liu T, Li C, Yi Y, et al. [Anti-thrombosis effect and its mechanism of Qingkailing injection]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 2009;34:1549-52 pubmed..The anti-thrombosis mechanism of QKL is consistent with its function of clearing away heat-evil and toxic materials. ..
- Schinke C, Goel S, Bhagat T, Zhou L, Mo Y, Gallagher R, et al. Design and synthesis of novel derivatives of all-trans retinoic acid demonstrate the combined importance of acid moiety and conjugated double bonds in its binding to PML-RAR-alpha oncogene in acute promyelocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2010;51:1108-14 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that both the acid moiety and conjugated double bonds present in the ATRA molecule are important for its biological activity in APL and have important implications for the design of future novel retinoids. ..
- Watanabe C, Miura S, Hokari R, Teramoto K, Ogino T, Komoto S, et al. Spatial heterogeneity of TNF-alpha-induced T cell migration to colonic mucosa is mediated by MAdCAM-1 and VCAM-1. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2002;283:G1379-87 pubmed..Spatial heterogeneity of MAdCAM-1 and VCAM-1 activation following TNF-alpha challenge may promote specific T lymphocyte recruitment in the inflamed colonic mucosa. ..
- Faxon D, Gibbons R, Chronos N, Gurbel P, Sheehan F. The effect of blockade of the CD11/CD18 integrin receptor on infarct size in patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with direct angioplasty: the results of the HALT-MI study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;40:1199-204 pubmed
- Soumelis V, Reche P, Kanzler H, Yuan W, Edward G, Homey B, et al. Human epithelial cells trigger dendritic cell mediated allergic inflammation by producing TSLP. Nat Immunol. 2002;3:673-80 pubmed..TSLP expression was associated with Langerhans cell migration and activation in situ. These findings shed new light on the function of human TSLP and the role played by epithelial cells and DCs in initiating allergic inflammation. ..
- Geng X, Tang R, Law S, Tan S. Integrin CD11a cytoplasmic tail interacts with the CD45 membrane-proximal protein tyrosine phosphatase domain 1. Immunology. 2005;115:347-57 pubmed..Our in vitro binding and enzymatic assays showed that the homodimeric CD45 cytoplasmic tail interacts with that of CD11a. The biological function of CD45 dimerization and its association with CD11a remains to be investigated. ..
- Smith C, Anstey A, Barker J, Burden A, Chalmers R, Chandler D, et al. British Association of Dermatologists guidelines for use of biological interventions in psoriasis 2005. Br J Dermatol. 2005;153:486-97 pubmed
- Yamshchikov G, Thompson L, Ross W, Galavotti H, Aquila W, Deacon D, et al. Analysis of a natural immune response against tumor antigens in a melanoma survivor: lessons applicable to clinical trial evaluations. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:909s-916s pubmed..These data provide an estimate of the level of CTL response that may be associated with protection from tumor recurrence. ..
- Körmöczi G, Rosenkranz A, Zlabinger G. Polymorphonuclear granulocyte stimulation by cellulose-based hemodialysis membranes. Clin Chem Lab Med. 1999;37:351-5 pubmed..Here the importance of burst formation in cooperation with other inflammatory effector functions in the mechanisms of hemodialysis-related adverse effects will be discussed. ..
- Rossen R, Smith C, Laughter A, Noonan C, Anderson D, McShan W, et al. HIV-1-stimulated expression of CD11/CD18 integrins and ICAM-1: a possible mechanism for extravascular dissemination of HIV-1-infected cells. Trans Assoc Am Physicians. 1989;102:117-30 pubmed..Similar mechanisms may influence leukocyte trafficking, in vivo, and may play a role in the localization of HIV-1 infected cells in the central nervous system and other tissues. ..
- Blix I, Helgeland K, Kahler H, Lyberg T. LPS from Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans and the expression of beta2 integrins and L-selectin in an ex vivo human whole blood system. Eur J Oral Sci. 1999;107:14-20 pubmed..The LPS from A. actinomycetemcomitans was equally potent as LPS from E. coli in its ability to affect the expression of the leukocyte integrins and L-selectin. ..
- Gianni M, Kalac Y, Ponzanelli I, Rambaldi A, Terao M, Garattini E. Tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 potentiates the pharmacologic activity of retinoic acid in acute promyelocytic leukemia cells: effects on the degradation of RARalpha and PML-RARalpha. Blood. 2001;97:3234-43 pubmed..Stabilization of the 2 retinoic acid receptors is likely to be the result of augmented and accelerated inhibition of the proteasome-dependent proteolytic activity observed on ATRA treatment. ..
- Forbes A, Slimp J, Winn R, Verrier E. Inhibition of neutrophil adhesion does not prevent ischemic spinal cord injury. Ann Thorac Surg. 1994;58:1064-8 pubmed..Injury in this setting may occur during ischemia and thus may not be dependent on neutrophils or reperfusion. ..
- Pène F, Courtine E, Ouaaz F, Zuber B, Sauneuf B, Sirgo G, et al. Toll-like receptors 2 and 4 contribute to sepsis-induced depletion of spleen dendritic cells. Infect Immun. 2009;77:5651-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, although dispensable for the DC maturation process, TLR2 and TLR4 are involved in the mechanisms leading to depletion of spleen DC following polymicrobial sepsis. ..
- Beaty S, Rose C, Sung S. Diverse and potent chemokine production by lung CD11bhigh dendritic cells in homeostasis and in allergic lung inflammation. J Immunol. 2007;178:1882-95 pubmed..These studies showed that lung CD11b(high) DC is one of the most important leukocyte types in chemokine production and it is readily distinguishable from CD103(+) DC in this secretory function. ..
- Sharpe A. Analysis of lymphocyte costimulation in vivo using transgenic and 'knockout' mice. Curr Opin Immunol. 1995;7:389-95 pubmed..Transgenic mice constitutively expressing costimulatory molecules have provided insights into their role in peripheral tolerance. ..
- Quddus J, Kaplan A, Richardson B. Anti-CD11a prevents deletion of self-reactive T cells in neonatal C57BR mice. Immunology. 1994;82:301-5 pubmed..The potential significance of LFA-1 involvement in multiple thymic maturation events is discussed. ..
- Eichacker P, Hoffman W, Farese A, Danner R, Suffredini A, Waisman Y, et al. Leukocyte CD18 monoclonal antibody worsens endotoxemia and cardiovascular injury in canines with septic shock. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1993;74:1885-92 pubmed..These data suggest that in septic shock, antibody directed against this leukocyte membrane protein complex may be harmful, possibly via impairment of normal leukocyte function...
- Brocker T. Survival of mature CD4 T lymphocytes is dependent on major histocompatibility complex class II-expressing dendritic cells. J Exp Med. 1997;186:1223-32 pubmed
- Nakase T, Fushiki S, Sohl G, Theis M, Willecke K, Naus C. Neuroprotective role of astrocytic gap junctions in ischemic stroke. Cell Commun Adhes. 2003;10:413-7 pubmed..Astrocytic gap junctions may reduce apoptosis and inflammation in the penumbra following ischemic insult, suggesting that coupled astrocytes fulfill a neuroprotective role under ischemic stroke conditions. ..
- Noti J. Expression of the myeloid-specific leukocyte integrin gene CD11d during macrophage foam cell differentiation and exposure to lipoproteins. Int J Mol Med. 2002;10:721-7 pubmed
- Zhang J, Hoffert C, Vu H, Groblewski T, Ahmad S, O donnell D. Induction of CB2 receptor expression in the rat spinal cord of neuropathic but not inflammatory chronic pain models. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;17:2750-4 pubmed..Moreover, the appearance of CB2 expression coincides with the appearance of activated microglia. ..
- Chou Y, Bourdette D, Barnes D, Finn T, Murray S, Unsicker L, et al. IL-7 enhances Ag-specific human T cell response by increasing expression of IL-2R alpha and gamma chains. J Neuroimmunol. 1999;96:101-11 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that IL-7 promotes the growth and survival of circulating Ag-specific human Th1 cells through a mechanism that probably involves the gammac common receptor for IL-2 family members that includes IL-7. ..
- Van Pelt J, de Jong E, van Erp P, Mitchell M, Marder P, Spaethe S, et al. The regulation of CD11b integrin levels on human blood leukocytes and leukotriene B4-stimulated skin by a specific leukotriene B4 receptor antagonist (LY293111). Biochem Pharmacol. 1997;53:1005-12 pubmed
- Rezaie Majd A, Prager G, Bucek R, Schernthaner G, Maca T, Kress H, et al. Simvastatin reduces the expression of adhesion molecules in circulating monocytes from hypercholesterolemic patients. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003;23:397-403 pubmed
- Geremia N, Hryciw T, Bao F, Streijger F, Okon E, Lee J, et al. The effectiveness of the anti-CD11d treatment is reduced in rat models of spinal cord injury that produce significant levels of intraspinal hemorrhage. Exp Neurol. 2017;295:125-134 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the disparate results of the anti-CD11d treatment in contusion and clip-compression models of SCI are due to the different pathophysiological mechanisms that dominate these two types of spinal cord injuries. ..
- Beekhuizen H, Corsèl van Tilburg A, Van Furth R. Characterization of monocyte adherence to human macrovascular and microvascular endothelial cells. J Immunol. 1990;145:510-8 pubmed..mAb against p150, 95 did not affect adherence. None of the mAb could block binding completely; combinations of the mAb also did not result in increased inhibition of monocyte adherence to EC. ..
- Bewig B, Tiroke A, Bottcher H, Padel K, Hirt S, Haverich A, et al. Adhesion molecules in patients after lung transplantation. Clin Transplant. 1999;13:432-9 pubmed..In summary, assessment of ICAM-1 and corresponding ligands did not allow for a reliable discrimination between episodes of rejection or infection in lung transplantation. ..
- Akiyama H, McGeer P. Brain microglia constitutively express beta-2 integrins. J Neuroimmunol. 1990;30:81-93 pubmed..They provide further evidence of an inflammatory response of brain tissue in Alzheimer disease. The microglia were found to make up 9-12% of the total glial population in gray matter and 7.5-9% in white matter. ..
- Wang N, Wang L, Gou B, Zhang T, Wang K. Realgar-induced differentiation is associated with MAPK pathways in HL-60 cells. Cell Biol Int. 2008;32:1497-505 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that MAPK signaling pathways are closely related to the RNP-induced differentiation in HL-60 cells. ..
- Saxton J, Claxton D, Winter E, Pockley A. Peripheral blood leucocyte functional responses to acute eccentric exercise in humans are influenced by systemic stress, but not by exercise-induced muscle damage. Clin Sci (Lond). 2003;104:69-77 pubmed..These findings suggest that systemic stress evoked during an acute bout of eccentric exercise has a greater influence on subsequent leucocyte functional responses than the degree of muscle damage induced. ..
- Walton K, He J, Kelsall B, Sartor R, Fisher N. Dendritic cells in germ-free and specific pathogen-free mice have similar phenotypes and in vitro antigen presenting function. Immunol Lett. 2006;102:16-24 pubmed..In addition, splenic APC from GF mice are fully competent to stimulate naïve T-cell proliferation in vitro. ..
- Farkas E, Timmer N, Domoki F, Mihaly A, Luiten P, Bari F. Post-ischemic administration of diazoxide attenuates long-term microglial activation in the rat brain after permanent carotid artery occlusion. Neurosci Lett. 2005;387:168-72 pubmed..These data provide evidence that post-treatment with diazoxide is not effective in impeding a long-term memory deficiency, but it can attenuate ischemia-induced microglial activation, independently of the solvent used. ..
- Simmons D. Anti-adhesion therapies. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2005;5:398-404 pubmed..However, the latter therapeutic ran into a surprising safety issue earlier this year and was withdrawn from the market, casting a shadow over what had seemed a promising new drug. ..
- Saville L, Pospisil C, Mawhinney L, Bao F, Simedrea F, Peters A, et al. A monoclonal antibody to CD11d reduces the inflammatory infiltrate into the injured spinal cord: a potential neuroprotective treatment. J Neuroimmunol. 2004;156:42-57 pubmed
- Imrich R, Tibenska E, Koska J, Rovensky J, Vigas M. Pharmacological hyperprolactinemia attenuates hydrocortisone-induced expression of CD11b on human CD8+ cells in vivo. Neuroimmunomodulation. 2004;11:133-40 pubmed..Our in vivo observations suggest that short-term interactions occur between PRL and glucocorticoids, affecting selected immune functions. Further studies are needed for confirmation of these results. ..