Genomes and Genes
Summary: A group of desmosomal cadherins with cytoplasmic tails that resemble those of classical CADHERINS.
- Bierkamp C, Schwarz H, Huber O, Kemler R. Desmosomal localization of beta-catenin in the skin of plakoglobin null-mutant mice. Development. 1999;126:371-81 pubmed..Our analysis underlines the central role of plakoglobin for desmosomal assembly and function during embryogenesis. ..
- Koch P, Walsh M, Schmelz M, Goldschmidt M, Zimbelmann R, Franke W. Identification of desmoglein, a constitutive desmosomal glycoprotein, as a member of the cadherin family of cell adhesion molecules. Eur J Cell Biol. 1990;53:1-12 pubmed
- Rickman L, Simrak D, Stevens H, Hunt D, King I, Bryant S, et al. N-terminal deletion in a desmosomal cadherin causes the autosomal dominant skin disease striate palmoplantar keratoderma. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:971-6 pubmed..This mutation emphasizes the importance of this part of the molecule for cadherin function, and of the Dsg1 protein and hence desmosomes in epidermal function. ..
- Hatzfeld M, Haffner C, Schulze K, Vinzens U. The function of plakophilin 1 in desmosome assembly and actin filament organization. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:209-22 pubmed
- Ishii K, Norvell S, Bannon L, Amargo E, Pascoe L, Green K. Assembly of desmosomal cadherins into desmosomes is isoform dependent. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:26-35 pubmed..epithelia, desmosomes contain multiple representatives of the desmosomal cadherin family, which includes three desmogleins and three desmocollins...
- Whittock N, Bower C. Genetic evidence for a novel human desmosomal cadherin, desmoglein 4. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;120:523-30 pubmed..The desmosomal cadherins are calcium-dependent transmembrane adhesion molecules and comprise the desmogleins and desmocollins...
- Stanley J, Amagai M. Pemphigus, bullous impetigo, and the staphylococcal scalded-skin syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:1800-10 pubmed
- Moss C, Martinez Mir A, Lam H, Tadin Strapps M, Kljuic A, Christiano A. A recurrent intragenic deletion in the desmoglein 4 gene underlies localized autosomal recessive hypotrichosis. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;123:607-10 pubmed
- Mathur M, Goodwin L, Cowin P. Interactions of the cytoplasmic domain of the desmosomal cadherin Dsg1 with plakoglobin. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:14075-80 pubmed..desmosomes and the prototype of a subset of the cadherin superfamily of cell-cell adhesion proteins known as desmogleins. The adhesive function of classical cadherins is known to be dependent upon their association with cytoplasmic ..
- Yamagami J, Payne A, Kacir S, Ishii K, Siegel D, Stanley J. Homologous regions of autoantibody heavy chain complementarity-determining region 3 (H-CDR3) in patients with pemphigus cause pathogenicity. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:4111-7 pubmed publisherPemphigus is a life-threatening autoimmune disease in which antibodies specific for desmogleins (Dsgs) cause loss of keratinocyte cell adhesion and blisters...
- Kowalczyk A, Palka H, Luu H, Nilles L, Anderson J, Wheelock M, et al. Posttranslational regulation of plakoglobin expression. Influence of the desmosomal cadherins on plakoglobin metabolic stability. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:31214-23 pubmed..The desmosomal glycoproteins, desmogleins and desmocollins, are members of the cadherin family of adhesion molecules...
- Hatzfeld M, Kristjansson G, Plessmann U, Weber K. Band 6 protein, a major constituent of desmosomes from stratified epithelia, is a novel member of the armadillo multigene family. J Cell Sci. 1994;107 ( Pt 8):2259-70 pubmed..The amino-terminal region of B6P (residues 1 to 263) shows no significant homology to any known protein sequence. It may therefore be involved in unique functions of B6P. ..
- Koch P, Goldschmidt M, Walsh M, Zimbelmann R, Schmelz M, Franke W. Amino acid sequence of bovine muzzle epithelial desmocollin derived from cloned cDNA: a novel subtype of desmosomal cadherins. Differentiation. 1991;47:29-36 pubmed..The molecular topology of desmocollin(s) is discussed in relation to possible functions of the individual molecular domains...
- Chitaev N, Troyanovsky S. Direct Ca2+-dependent heterophilic interaction between desmosomal cadherins, desmoglein and desmocollin, contributes to cell-cell adhesion. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:193-201 pubmed..The observed specific coimmunoprecipitation of MPg by anti-Dsc antibodies in coculture indicates that an intercellular interaction between Dsc1 and Dsg is involved in cell-cell adhesion. ..
- Joly P, Mouquet H, Roujeau J, D Incan M, Gilbert D, Jacquot S, et al. A single cycle of rituximab for the treatment of severe pemphigus. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:545-52 pubmed..Because of its potentially severe side effects, its use should be limited to the most severe types of the disease. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00213512 [ClinicalTrials.gov].). ..
- Nagasaka T, Nishifuji K, Ota T, Whittock N, Amagai M. Defining the pathogenic involvement of desmoglein 4 in pemphigus and staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome. J Clin Invest. 2004;114:1484-92 pubmedb>Desmogleins (Dsgs), cadherin-type cell adhesion molecules, are targeted in skin-blistering diseases such as pemphigus and staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (SSSS). The role of Dsg4, a new isoform, was investigated in these diseases...
- Ishii K, Harada R, Matsuo I, Shirakata Y, Hashimoto K, Amagai M. In vitro keratinocyte dissociation assay for evaluation of the pathogenicity of anti-desmoglein 3 IgG autoantibodies in pemphigus vulgaris. J Invest Dermatol. 2005;124:939-46 pubmed..These findings indicate that this dissociation assay will provide a simple and objective biological method to measure the pathogenic strength of pemphigus autoantibodies. ..
- Hertl M, Veldman C. T-cellular autoimmunity against desmogleins in pemphigus, an autoantibody-mediated bullous disorder of the skin. Autoimmun Rev. 2003;2:278-83 pubmed..diseases of the skin in which loss of adhesion between keratinocytes is caused by autoantibodies (Ab) against desmogleins (Dsg) 1 and 3...
- Koch P, Goldschmidt M, Zimbelmann R, Troyanovsky R, Franke W. Complexity and expression patterns of the desmosomal cadherins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:353-7 pubmed..We conclude that the cadherin composition of desmosomes is much more complex than assumed and can differ in the various epithelia. ..
- Nilles L, Parry D, Powers E, Angst B, Wagner R, Green K. Structural analysis and expression of human desmoglein: a cadherin-like component of the desmosome. J Cell Sci. 1991;99 ( Pt 4):809-21 pubmed..2, 4.0 and 3.0 kb. Each of these cross-hybridizing mRNAs is coordinately expressed in normal human keratinocytes in response to long-term culture and increased calcium. ..
- Eshkind L, Tian Q, Schmidt A, Franke W, Windoffer R, Leube R. Loss of desmoglein 2 suggests essential functions for early embryonic development and proliferation of embryonal stem cells. Eur J Cell Biol. 2002;81:592-8 pubmed..Our observations thus reveal that important Dsg2 functions are desmosome-independent during early development and are needed for ES cell and early embryo survival. ..
- Bannon L, Cabrera B, Stack M, Green K. Isoform-specific differences in the size of desmosomal cadherin/catenin complexes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:1302-6 pubmed..The transmembrane components of the desmosome, the desmogleins and desmocollins, are members of the cadherin family of cell-cell adhesion molecules...
- Andl C, Stanley J. Central role of the plakoglobin-binding domain for desmoglein 3 incorporation into desmosomes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:1068-74 pubmed..We conclude that binding of plakoglobin to desmoglein 3 is an important step in desmosome assembly and leads to the incorporation of desmoglein 3 into the desmosome. ..
- Troyanovsky S, Eshkind L, Troyanovsky R, Leube R, Franke W. Contributions of cytoplasmic domains of desmosomal cadherins to desmosome assembly and intermediate filament anchorage. Cell. 1993;72:561-74 pubmed
- Roh J, Stanley J. Plakoglobin binding by human Dsg3 (pemphigus vulgaris antigen) in keratinocytes requires the cadherin-like intracytoplasmic segment. J Invest Dermatol. 1995;104:720-4 pubmedb>Desmogleins are transmembrane desmosomal cadherins. Two desmogleins, Dsg3 and Dsg1, have been shown to bind plakoglobin, an intracytoplasmic (IC) desmosomal plaque protein. This binding may be critical for desmosome assembly or stability...
- Krunic A, Garrod D, Madani S, Buchanan M, Clark R. Immunohistochemical staining for desmogleins 1 and 2 in keratinocytic neoplasms with squamous phenotype: actinic keratosis, keratoacanthoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. Br J Cancer. 1998;77:1275-9 pubmed..This antibody may also have great potential for the detection of the effects of chemopreventive agents in skin cancer. ..
- Palka H, Green K. Roles of plakoglobin end domains in desmosome assembly. J Cell Sci. 1997;110 ( Pt 19):2359-71 pubmed
- Yokouchi M, Saleh M, Kuroda K, Hachiya T, Stanley J, Amagai M, et al. Pathogenic epitopes of autoantibodies in pemphigus reside in the amino-terminal adhesive region of desmogleins which are unmasked by proteolytic processing of prosequence. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:2156-66 pubmed publisherPemphigus targets desmogleins (Dsgs), which are thought to be synthesized as inactive precursor proteins with prosequences that are cleaved by substilisin-like proprotein convertases, such as furin, to yield mature adhesive molecules...
- Lewis J, Wahl J, Sass K, Jensen P, Johnson K, Wheelock M. Cross-talk between adherens junctions and desmosomes depends on plakoglobin. J Cell Biol. 1997;136:919-34 pubmed..The desmosome is composed of transmembrane proteins of the broad cadherin family (desmogleins and desmocollins) that are linked to the intermediate filament cytoskeleton, presumably through plakoglobin and ..
- Peifer M, McCrea P, Green K, Wieschaus E, Gumbiner B. The vertebrate adhesive junction proteins beta-catenin and plakoglobin and the Drosophila segment polarity gene armadillo form a multigene family with similar properties. J Cell Biol. 1992;118:681-91 pubmed..The implications of these results for the structure and function of different cell-cell adhesive junctions are discussed. ..
- Kljuic A, Bazzi H, Sundberg J, Martinez Mir A, O Shaughnessy R, Mahoney M, et al. Desmoglein 4 in hair follicle differentiation and epidermal adhesion: evidence from inherited hypotrichosis and acquired pemphigus vulgaris. Cell. 2003;113:249-60 pubmed..junctions known as desmosomes, which are characterized by the presence of desmosomal cadherins, known as desmogleins and desmocollins...
- Cao Y, Chang H, Li L, Cheng R, Fan X. Alteration of adhesion molecule expression and cellular polarity in hepatocellular carcinoma. Histopathology. 2007;51:528-38 pubmed..The decreased expression of symplekin may be an early step in the transformation of hepatocytes, whereas alteration of the expression of adherens junctions and desmosomes may indicate more serious changes. ..
- Sagi L, Sherer Y, Trau H, Shoenfeld Y. Pemphigus and infectious agents. Autoimmun Rev. 2008;8:33-5 pubmed publisher..In this article we review the literature concerning the relationship between pemphigus, viral and bacterial pathogens. ..
- Takahashi O, Okushiba S, Kondo S, Morikawa T, Hirano S, Miyamoto M, et al. Esophageal pemphigus vulgaris with carcinoma: postoperative steroid therapy based on pemphigus-related antibodies. Dis Esophagus. 2005;18:413-7 pubmed
- Bosch F, Andl C, Abel U, Kartenbeck J. E-cadherin is a selective and strongly dominant prognostic factor in squamous cell carcinoma: a comparison of E-cadherin with desmosomal components. Int J Cancer. 2005;114:779-90 pubmed..Based on these results, evaluation of E-cadherin in squamous cell carcinomas by immunostaining is recommended as a significant prognostic marker. ..
- Di Zenzo G, Amber K, Sayar B, MÃ¼ller E, Borradori L. Immune response in pemphigus and beyond: progresses and emerging concepts. Semin Immunopathol. 2016;38:57-74 pubmed publisher..These new insights not only highlight the key role of Dsgs in maintenance of tissue homeostasis but are expected to progressively change pemphigus management, paving the way for novel targeted immunologic and pharmacologic therapies. ..
- Ozawa M, Terada H, Pedraza C. The fourth armadillo repeat of plakoglobin (gamma-catenin) is required for its high affinity binding to the cytoplasmic domains of E-cadherin and desmosomal cadherin Dsg2, and the tumor suppressor APC protein. J Biochem. 1995;118:1077-82 pubmed
- Davies G, Jiang W, Mason M. Cell-cell adhesion molecules and their associated proteins in bladder cancer cells and their role in mitogen induced cell-cell dissociation and invasion. Anticancer Res. 1999;19:547-52 pubmed..Activation of beta-catenin and subsequent dysfunction of E-cadherin may be a key mechanism in the induction of invasion by the motogen, HGF/SF. ..
- Olivry T, Alhaidari Z, Ghohestani R. Anti-plakin and desmoglein autoantibodies in a dog with pemphigus vulgaris. Vet Pathol. 2000;37:496-9 pubmed
- Garrod D, Fleming S. Early expression of desmosomal components during kidney tubule morphogenesis in human and murine embryos. Development. 1990;108:313-21 pubmed
- Schmelz M, Moll R, Kuhn C, Franke W. Complexus adhaerentes, a new group of desmoplakin-containing junctions in endothelial cells: II. Different types of lymphatic vessels. Differentiation. 1994;57:97-117 pubmed..These extended junctions, which also contain plakoglobin but none of the presently known desmogleins and desmocollins, are therefore different from the spot-like desmosomes (maculae adhaerentes) present in ..
- Mortazavi H, Shahdi M, Amirzargar A, Naraghi Z, Valikhani M, Daneshpazhooh M, et al. Desmoglein ELISA in the diagnosis of pemphigus and its correlation with the severity of pemphigus vulgaris. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2009;8:53-6 pubmed publisher..Desmoglein-ELISA test is appropriate in the diagnosis of pemphigus. Desmoglein 1 index value is statistically correlated with the severity of pemphigus vulgaris. ..
- Adams M, Reichel M, King I, Marsden M, Greenwood M, Thirlwell H, et al. Characterization of the regulatory regions in the human desmoglein genes encoding the pemphigus foliaceous and pemphigus vulgaris antigens. Biochem J. 1998;329 ( Pt 1):165-74 pubmed..proteins in the desmosome type of cell junction consist of two members of the cadherin superfamily, the desmogleins and desmocollins...
- Eynard A, Jiang W, Mansel R. Eicosatrienoic acid (20:3 n-9) inhibits the expression of E-cadherin and desmoglein in human squamous cell carcinoma in vitro. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1998;59:371-7 pubmed..This is the first report showing that the abnormal 20:3 n-9 (Mead's acid) is a down regulator of antimetastatic E-cadherin and desmoglein expression. ..
- Getsios S, Amargo E, Dusek R, Ishii K, Sheu L, Godsel L, et al. Coordinated expression of desmoglein 1 and desmocollin 1 regulates intercellular adhesion. Differentiation. 2004;72:419-33 pubmed..Collectively, these observations demonstrate that Dsg1 promotes the formation of intercellular adhesion complexes and suggest that the relative level of Dsg and Dsc expressed at the cell surface regulates this adhesive process. ..
- Steeves E, Chelack B, Clark E, Haines D. Altered immunohistochemical staining for desmoglein in skin biopsies in canine pemphigus foliaceus. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2002;14:53-6 pubmed..This study demonstrates that epidermal desmoglein expression is altered in some cases of pemphigus foliaceus in dogs and suggests that immunohistochemical staining for this protein may be useful in diagnosis. ..
- Dhitavat J, Cobbold C, Leslie N, Burge S, Hovnanian A. Impaired trafficking of the desmoplakins in cultured Darier's disease keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;121:1349-55 pubmed..We also demonstrate an interaction between SERCA2 and desmoplakin during differentiation. Our results provide further insights into the critical role of calcium ATPases in maintaining epidermal integrity. ..
- Amagai M. [Immunological tests: Anti desmoglein 1 and 3 antibody]. Nihon Rinsho. 2005;63 Suppl 7:571-4 pubmed
- Sawa Y, Kuroshima S, Yamaoka Y, Yoshida S. Intracellular distribution of desmoplakin in human odontoblasts. J Histochem Cytochem. 2005;53:1099-108 pubmed..These results suggest that DPF usually expresses DPK1 mRNA, and that the DPK1 production and the bonding of vimentin to DPK1 occur in DPF with the differentiation into odontoblasts. ..
- Jahoda C, Kljuic A, O Shaughnessy R, Crossley N, Whitehouse C, Robinson M, et al. The lanceolate hair rat phenotype results from a missense mutation in a calcium coordinating site of the desmoglein 4 gene. Genomics. 2004;83:747-56 pubmed..The mutation disrupts a critical calcium binding site bridging the second and third extracellular domains of Dsg4, likely disrupting extracellular interactions of the protein. ..
- Duhieu S, Laperdrix C, Hashimoto T, Le Bitoux M, Haftek M. Desmosome-binding antibody KM48 recognises an extracellular antigen different from desmosomal cadherins Dsg 1-3 and Dsc 1-3. Eur J Dermatol. 2005;15:80-4 pubmed..Transmembrane proteins of desmosomes, desmogleins and desmocollins, are responsible for extracellular binding and, thus, are important for interkeratinocyte ..
- Lorch J, Klessner J, Park J, Getsios S, Wu Y, Stack M, et al. Epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition promotes desmosome assembly and strengthens intercellular adhesion in squamous cell carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:37191-200 pubmed..Our results suggest that EGFR inhibition promotes desmosome assembly in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells, resulting in increased cell-cell adhesion. ..