Genomes and Genes
Summary: A single-pass transmembrane glycoproteins that mediate CALCIUM-dependent CELL ADHESION and are core components of DESMOSOMES.
- Simpson C, Kojima S, Cooper Whitehair V, Getsios S, Green K. Plakoglobin rescues adhesive defects induced by ectodomain truncation of the desmosomal cadherin desmoglein 1: implications for exfoliative toxin-mediated skin blistering. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:2921-37 pubmed publisher..associated with its catenin partner, plakoglobin, and causes a reduction in the levels of endogenous desmosomal cadherins in a dose-dependent manner, leading us to hypothesize that plakoglobin sequestration by truncated Dsg1 ..
- Russo R, Husson H, Joly D, Bukanov N, Patey N, Knebelmann B, et al. Impaired formation of desmosomal junctions in ADPKD epithelia. Histochem Cell Biol. 2005;124:487-97 pubmed..We propose that abnormal expression of PC-1 causes disregulation of cellular adhesion complexes leading to increased proliferation, loss of polarity and, ultimately, cystogenesis...
- Garrod D, Chidgey M. Desmosome structure, composition and function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1778:572-87 pubmed..Here we consider the structure, composition and function of desmosomes, and their role in embryonic development and disease...
- Kottke M, Delva E, Kowalczyk A. The desmosome: cell science lessons from human diseases. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:797-806 pubmed..These human diseases reveal key roles for desmosomes in maintaining tissue integrity, but also suggest functions for desmosomal components in signal transduction pathways and epidermal organization...
- Lorch J, Thomas T, Schmoll H. Bortezomib inhibits cell-cell adhesion and cell migration and enhances epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitor-induced cell death in squamous cell cancer. Cancer Res. 2007;67:727-34 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that proteasome inhibition using bortezomib affects cell adhesion and cell migration profoundly and provides a rationale for its clinical use in conjunction with an EGFR inhibitor. ..
- Donetti E, Bedoni M, Capone P, Gualerzi A, Tartaglia G, Sforza C. An in vitro model of human oral explants to study early effects of radiation mucositis. Eur J Oral Sci. 2009;117:169-74 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that this has consequences for the mechanical integrity of the mucosa and promotes the development of radiation mucositis. ..
- Kurzen H, Henrich C, Booken D, Poenitz N, Gratchev A, Klemke C, et al. Functional characterization of the epidermal cholinergic system in vitro. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:2458-72 pubmed..In summary, we show that epidermal AChR are crucially involved in the regulation of epidermal homeostasis. ..
- Vite A, Gandjbakhch E, Prost C, Fressart V, Fouret P, Neyroud N, et al. Desmosomal cadherins are decreased in explanted arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy patient hearts. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75082 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight a key role of desmosomal cadherins in the pathophysiology of ARVD/C...
- Bazzi H, Martinez Mir A, Kljuic A, Christiano A. Desmoglein 4 mutations underlie localized autosomal recessive hypotrichosis in humans, mice, and rats. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2005;10:222-4 pubmed..Together, these models provide new information about the role of desmosomal cadherins in disease, and serve as in vivo models for functional and mechanistic studies into the role of desmoglein ..
- Hu G. p120-Catenin: a novel regulator of innate immunity and inflammation. Crit Rev Immunol. 2012;32:127-38 pubmed..This review summarizes the present knowledge and recent progress toward elucidating the novel role of p120-catenin in the regulation of innate immunity and inflammation. ..
- Di Zenzo G, Zambruno G, Borradori L. Endemic pemphigus foliaceus: towards understanding autoimmune mechanisms of disease development. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:2499-502 pubmed publisher..have investigated whether fogo selvagem patients and healthy individuals from endemic areas develop autoantibody responses against other desmosomal cadherins and E-cadherin.
- Flores G, Culton D, Prisayanh P, Qaqish B, James K, Maldonado M, et al. IgG autoantibody response against keratinocyte cadherins in endemic pemphigus foliaceus (fogo selvagem). J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:2573-80 pubmed publisher..Isolated reports have shown that in certain patients with these diseases, autoantibodies against other desmosomal cadherins and E-cadherin may also be present...
- Ishida Yamamoto A, Kishibe M. Involvement of corneodesmosome degradation and lamellar granule transportation in the desquamation process. Med Mol Morphol. 2011;44:1-6 pubmed publisher..Abnormalities in transportation and secretion of lamellar granules underlie ichthyosis seen in certain human diseases. ..
- Zidar N, Bostjancic E, Gale N, Kojc N, Poljak M, Glavac D, et al. Down-regulation of microRNAs of the miR-200 family and miR-205, and an altered expression of classic and desmosomal cadherins in spindle cell carcinoma of the head and neck--hallmark of epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Hum Pathol. 2011;42:482-8 pubmed publisher..We also analyzed the expression of classic and desmosomal cadherins, which are believed to be important targets during epithelial-mesenchymal transition...
- Wan H, South A, Hart I. Increased keratinocyte proliferation initiated through downregulation of desmoplakin by RNA interference. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:2336-44 pubmed..is a major obligate plaque protein which plays a fundamental role in anchoring intermediate filaments to desmosomal cadherins. Evidence from hereditary human disease caused by mutations in the gene encoding Dp, e.g...
- Bizikova P, Linder K, Olivry T. Immunomapping of desmosomal and nondesmosomal adhesion molecules in healthy canine footpad, haired skin and buccal mucosal epithelia: comparison with canine pemphigus foliaceus serum immunoglobulin G staining patterns. Vet Dermatol. 2011;22:132-42 pubmed publisher..These observations warrant further investigation of desmocollin-1 as a potential major cPF autoantigen. ..
- Zhu W, Filler S. Interactions of Candida albicans with epithelial cells. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:273-82 pubmed publisher..Future challenges include identifying the epithelial cell targets of adhesins and invasins, and determining the mechanisms by which C. albicans actively penetrates epithelial cells and induces epithelial cell damage. ..